News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Can you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from south to north in one day?

Started by Roadgeekteen, August 07, 2022, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: pderocco on October 18, 2023, 12:51:05 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2023, 07:16:06 AM
I suppose various colors of dirt would be a sort of variety. :D. The idea of views being continuous on I-10 west of Phoenix (for example) and rivaling the BRP is certainly a unique position.

That said, at the recent convention of the National Park Travelers Club, a representative of a support foundation for the Blue Ridge Parkway admitted that the VA section of the road is a bit underwhelming, at least further south than you were, actually.

Still, the BRP down in NC has some of the most spectacular views in the country, in my opinion (as do a few roads in the Southwest that come to mind, but saying that the Southwest is continuously scenic everywhere is a bit much :D). 

Then again, saying Skyline Drive was boring except for some nice views is also a little amusing.  Anyone giving an NPS map even a cursory look would know that it is a ridge road with overlooks.  Not sure what else one would expect.  Entertainment?  Comedy acts and bands at every stop? :D
I think you misread me. I didn't mean to imply that every road in the Southwest is spectacular, or even scenic. The low desert in the southern parts of CA/AZ/NM tends to be less beautiful or interesting. But the roads that are spectacular are generally continuously spectacular, not just a short burst of spectacular every few miles. US-395 in the Owens Valley. Badwater Road in Death Valley. CA-120 and CA-108 over the mountains have long stretches of open views. US-89 and US-89A in northern AZ and southern UT. UT-12 and UT-24 and Monument Valley with their amazing rock formations.

I noticed this feeling while driving through Skyline: I felt slightly claustrophobic in the corridors of trees, and every now and then there was a respite that you could stretch out by stopping. Then back into the trees.

I've felt that even worse in the PacNW, where I lived for a while. You can drive along the old US-30 in the Gorge, right next to the Columbia River, and rarely see any of it due to 10 feet of trees and bushes between the road and the edge of the cliff.

I've lived out west from time to time and have had a couple of tree-hating friends from out there as well ("I can't see...").  Then again, my wife, who's from the Salt Lake Valley, was entranced by the eastern greenery (even just along the most boring stretches of the Thruway), and still enjoys how much life there is out here (while bemoaning some drawbacks of leaving the desert behind, like mud).

That said, although I agree with you on some of those drives compared to the BRP, it is still a sort of interesting position.  Yep, not every road is spectacular out there, juat like not every road is spectacular out here.

And then there are those people that love driving through our forests in the fall due to the colors, lack of expansive views notwithstanding...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: pderocco on October 18, 2023, 12:51:05 AM
I think you misread me. I didn't mean to imply that every road in the Southwest is spectacular, or even scenic. The low desert in the southern parts of CA/AZ/NM tends to be less beautiful or interesting. But the roads that are spectacular are generally continuously spectacular, not just a short burst of spectacular every few miles. US-395 in the Owens Valley. Badwater Road in Death Valley. CA-120 and CA-108 over the mountains have long stretches of open views. US-89 and US-89A in northern AZ and southern UT. UT-12 and UT-24 and Monument Valley with their amazing rock formations.

I'm not sure I would call Utah 24 east of Hanksville particularly interesting. I guess you do have the eastern edge of the San Rafael Swell to look at, but it's not all that close, and 24 itself and the entire landscape to the east is just flat desert.

To be fair, that opinion might be influenced by the fact that I drove that section right after Utah 95, which is right behind Utah 12 for most amazing highway I have ever driven.

pderocco

Yes, I should have included UT-95. Oh, and the Moki Dugway on UT-261.

US 89

Quote from: pderocco on October 18, 2023, 11:39:19 PM
Yes, I should have included UT-95. Oh, and the Moki Dugway on UT-261.

The Dugway is awesome as a passenger, but as a driver the road itself demands too much of your attention to really take in the scenery. The actual road is tamer than a lot of people make it seem - the real danger is all the Monument Valley tourists who have never seen a winding road in their life much less one with an unpaved surface.

At least that was my experience a couple years ago. From the top of the Dugway, you can drive 5 miles west on fairly good dirt roads to Muley Point, where you will get a far better vista than anything the Dugway will give you. I watched a sunset from up there and it is still high on the list of most inspiring experiences I've had.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on October 20, 2023, 12:41:55 AM
At least that was my experience a couple years ago. From the top of the Dugway, you can drive 5 miles west on fairly good dirt roads to Muley Point, where you will get a far better vista than anything the Dugway will give you. I watched a sunset from up there and it is still high on the list of most inspiring experiences I've had.

Good tip.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on August 07, 2022, 04:12:52 PM
If you're including Skyline Drive, the drive through Shenandoah National Park is spectacular.

Speed is strictly enforced, used to be 35 mph.
Thanks for reminding me. My parents (actually my father) drove my family up the Skyline Drive 41 years ago. It was really the only part I've ever been on. But the 35 mph speed limit was a pain in the ass to put up with, despite the mountainous terrain justifying it.

Also, even though they're also strict about the passenger cars only rule, I saw a motorhome on the parkway.

Rothman

hbelkins

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 22, 2023, 11:11:02 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 07, 2022, 04:12:52 PM
If you're including Skyline Drive, the drive through Shenandoah National Park is spectacular.

Speed is strictly enforced, used to be 35 mph.
Thanks for reminding me. My parents (actually my father) drove my family up the Skyline Drive 41 years ago. It was really the only part I've ever been on. But the 35 mph speed limit was a pain in the ass to put up with, despite the mountainous terrain justifying it.

Also, even though they're also strict about the passenger cars only rule, I saw a motorhome on the parkway.

The ban is only for commercial vehicles -- or vehicles that can fit through the tunnels. Motorhomes are perfectly fine.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Daniel Fiddler

If you're trying to make the drive as fast as possible, that's what I-26 and I-81 is for.

Take it slow, enjoy the ride.

And go ahead and drive Skyline Drive as an extension while you're at it if you have the time.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

My turn to ask about the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Dr.
I am planning to incorporate driving the Blue Ridge into my trip to Charlotte for A.J.'s City meet.
Is it better to drive from the north to the south, or from the south to the north?
Haven't decided if I want to do this before the roadmeet, or after the roadmeet.
(and no, I'm not looking to do this in one day)

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 23, 2024, 01:24:17 PM
I am planning to incorporate driving the Blue Ridge into my trip to Charlotte for A.J.'s City meet.
Is it better to drive from the north to the south, or from the south to the north?
Haven't decided if I want to do this before the roadmeet, or after the roadmeet.

I don't think it matters, which direction.  As 74 points out, there are closures along it.

People just think the not-so-ridgey part of it in southern VA is underwhelming.  Still, I find the drive through Shenandoah National Park on Skyline Drive and from Boone, NC south to be spectacular, with many overlooks worth a stop.

JREwing78

The previous discussion about the speed limits on the Blue Ridge Parkway reminded me of my trip to Yellowstone NP a few years ago. I booked lodging outside the park outside Moran, WY. That looked reasonable enough on a map, but I underestimated by a bunch how long it would take to get around Yellowstone.

Doing the typical touristy sightseeing in late September (not a peak time), it took 10 hours to drive from the Grand Tetons NP entrance at Moran, north to the south Yellowstone entrance, then along the west side of the Grand Loop Rd and north to Mammoth Hot Springs. Driving straight back to camp with no stops, respecting the 25-45 mph speed limits and the large creatures appearing out of nowhere in the dark, took 3 hours.

Don't expect to get anywhere fast on a road maintained by the National Park Service.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 23, 2024, 01:24:17 PM

Come to find out this is all a moot point.
Both of my supervisors will be on vacation through the first half of the week leading up to the Charlotte roadmeet. I'll still be able to get my time off to make Charlotte, but I'll have to drive the Blue Ridge from the south going north, after the meet.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on August 08, 2022, 10:43:35 PM
^ That reminds me of an experience I had on I-390 the other day. I was moving along at around 80 mph (speed limit 65) when I noticed a state trooper in the median. I slowed to about 70 mph, went past, and the trooper pulled out not far behind me. At that point I was a bit nervous so I stayed right and didn't speed back up. The trooper approached and eventually went past. Not long afterwards, a Mazda went past a pretty good clip and caught up to the trooper. He was behind him for a bit and probably intended to stay there, but then the trooper quickly moved right and slowed way down. Seconds later, boom, lights flashing behind the Mazda.

While I counted my lucky stars, I couldn't help but wonder if he had already caught the Mazda before he even pulled out of the median.
A few years ago I was heading SB on I-75 south of the US-23 split in Flint. There was a SUV in the left lane with Texas plates doing well over the speed limit. I was doing 80 and the guy with Texas plates was approaching a MSP trooper, I heard my radar decector going off so I knew I was approach a cop. The cop was in the right lane traveling the same direction as us, the guy with Texas plates blows past the cop and right away the cop threw his lights on and chased him. I kept it around 80 and a few miles up the road the cop had the car pulled over, I saw the cop walking up to the car with his gun pointing at the driver and saw the idiots hands sticking out the window. I thought what an idiot.

pderocco

Well, at least he didn't go over 80 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

VetteDriver16

I live less than an hour from the BRP. 

Yes, you can drive the entire 469 miles in one day BUT I strongly recommend against it.  The BRP is not a freeway and is intended to be enjoyed.  Take your time (make it a 3-4 day trip), pull over and enjoy the views, and exit the parkway to check out some of the local attractions.

WhyLifeIs4

Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

MATraveler128

Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 04, 2024, 09:27:37 AM
Where is the blue ridge parkway?

It runs through the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina and Virginia. I've been on the North Carolina portion and it's an amazing drive.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 03, 2024, 10:08:24 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 08, 2022, 10:43:35 PM
^ That reminds me of an experience I had on I-390 the other day. I was moving along at around 80 mph (speed limit 65) when I noticed a state trooper in the median. I slowed to about 70 mph, went past, and the trooper pulled out not far behind me. At that point I was a bit nervous so I stayed right and didn't speed back up. The trooper approached and eventually went past. Not long afterwards, a Mazda went past a pretty good clip and caught up to the trooper. He was behind him for a bit and probably intended to stay there, but then the trooper quickly moved right and slowed way down. Seconds later, boom, lights flashing behind the Mazda.

While I counted my lucky stars, I couldn't help but wonder if he had already caught the Mazda before he even pulled out of the median.
A few years ago I was heading SB on I-75 south of the US-23 split in Flint. There was a SUV in the left lane with Texas plates doing well over the speed limit. I was doing 80 and the guy with Texas plates was approaching a MSP trooper, I heard my radar decector going off so I knew I was approach a cop. The cop was in the right lane traveling the same direction as us, the guy with Texas plates blows past the cop and right away the cop threw his lights on and chased him. I kept it around 80 and a few miles up the road the cop had the car pulled over, I saw the cop walking up to the car with his gun pointing at the driver and saw the idiots hands sticking out the window. I thought what an idiot.

I suppose this could be a separate thread, but I remember back in the 1990s when the first piece of I-540 in North Carolina opened (the small section between I-40 and US-70), it was the place to go when you wanted to see what your car could do because there was almost nobody on the road. The cops knew that, of course. I was out there one day going 90+ mph when I thought I saw a car sitting on an on-ramp up ahead, so I slowed down. Another car blew past me. Sure enough, the car on the ramp was a cop. He pulled over the other car and as he got out of his car, I went by at about the speed limit and he nodded at me as I went past—I've always assumed that was a way of saying, "I know how fast you were going, but you at least slowed down when you saw me."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WhyLifeIs4

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 04, 2024, 09:29:11 AM
Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 04, 2024, 09:27:37 AM
Where is the blue ridge parkway?
That sounds amazing

It runs through the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina and Virginia. I've been on the North Carolina portion and it's an amazing drive.
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

epzik8

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 24, 2024, 02:13:43 AM
Don't expect to get anywhere fast on a road maintained by the National Park Service.

Unless it's the Baltimore-Washington Parkway outside of rush hour.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Quote from: epzik8 on March 06, 2024, 09:39:52 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on February 24, 2024, 02:13:43 AM

Unless it's the Baltimore-Washington Parkway outside of rush hour.
It's the "I wanted to race around Yellowstone and there were animals in my way" about his attitude that struck me.

ARMOURERERIC

Drove NC 191 to 23/74 today.  About 3 miles from 191 had to stop to allow a momma bear and cub cross the road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.