News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Widen TN-96: Franklin and Murfreesboro

Started by I-39, September 28, 2015, 09:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

TN-96 ought to be reconstructed (straightened to eliminate the dangerous curves) and widened to five lanes (two in each direction and center turn lane) between Arno Road in Franklin and Veterans Parkway in Murfreesboro. Or at least at the minimum, keep it one lane in each direction, but add a center turn lane widen the shoulders.

The current road is dangerous with narrow shoulders and windy curves. Traffic is increasing greatly on it and it serves as a more direct route from Franklin to Murfreesboro (and potential alternative to I-840, not yet an Interstate, but will be soon).

mdthomas8368

I drive this stretch most every day.  Agree with most but the most needed item for that stretch is to change the four-way stop in Triune @ US 31A/US 41A to a traffic signal with turn lanes.  I believe that once the I-65 construction btwn MM 60-63 is complete, the TN-96 traffic count will ease a bit as more will use TN-840.

I-39

Quote from: mdthomas8368 on September 28, 2015, 09:43:04 PM
I drive this stretch most every day.  Agree with most but the most needed item for that stretch is to change the four-way stop in Triune @ US 31A/US 41A to a traffic signal with turn lanes.  I believe that once the I-65 construction btwn MM 60-63 is complete, the TN-96 traffic count will ease a bit as more will use TN-840.

Oh, I forgot about that too. Agreed, the traffic backs up greatly there during morning rush hour going northbound on US 31/41A. But the entire road needs to at least be reconstructed and straightened (with the addition of shoulders and a center turn lane).

froggie

I would disagree with the center turn lane.  Such roads tend to be just as dangerous.  If you're going to widen it, make it divided.

Tom958

I'm staying at the Best Western in Franklin right now. I'll be here for a while, too. We're building something in the immediate vicinity.

I've driven up from ATL the last three Monday mornings, and after witnessing the backup on I-65 north of 840, I considered dropping over to 96 on US 31A, but traffic was almost at a standstill all the way back past 840 on two Mondays, even though 31A has the right of way at the intersection with 96. I might check out TN 96 at some point, but it'll be in the homebound direction.

jpi

TN 96 would have been widened sooner but TN 840 got in the way of that however, this is on TDOT's long term plans.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mdthomas8368

Quote from: Tom958 on September 29, 2015, 07:47:29 PM
I'm staying at the Best Western in Franklin right now. I'll be here for a while, too. We're building something in the immediate vicinity.

I've driven up from ATL the last three Monday mornings, and after witnessing the backup on I-65 north of 840, I considered dropping over to 96 on US 31A, but traffic was almost at a standstill all the way back past 840 on two Mondays, even though 31A has the right of way at the intersection with 96. I might check out TN 96 at some point, but it'll be in the homebound direction.
When heading to Franklin, get off TN-840 @ Peytonsville-Trinity Rd (x # 34), right at end of ramp, then immediate left onto Peytonsville Rd. Follow for abt 5 mi.  Takes you to I-65 @ north end of construction zone (MM 62).

Tom958

Thanks! Oddly, my smartphone doesn't recommend any alternative.

I-39

Quote from: jpi on September 29, 2015, 11:36:43 PM
TN 96 would have been widened sooner but TN 840 got in the way of that however, this is on TDOT's long term plans.

Where?

Tom958

I'm at Dolan's bar at 96 and Caruthers, and the guys behind the bar are wearing "Get your kicks on US 96" shirts because it's on highway 96. I am not making this up.

jpi

Quote from: I-39 on October 01, 2015, 10:25:41 PM
Quote from: jpi on September 29, 2015, 11:36:43 PM

Where?
Quote from: I-39 on October 01, 2015, 10:25:41 PM

From Arno Rd in Williamson County east to Veterns PKWY in Rutherford County, this is per an article in todays' Tennessean newspaper.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Tom958 on October 06, 2015, 08:21:08 PM
I'm at Dolan's bar at 96 and Caruthers, and the guys behind the bar are wearing "Get your kicks on US 96" shirts because it's on highway 96. I am not making this up.

Did you have the heart to tell them it's not "US" 96?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Tom958

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 10, 2015, 01:30:56 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on October 06, 2015, 08:21:08 PM

Did you have the heart to tell them it's not "US" 96?

Yes. "US 96 is in Texas."   :D

Quote from: mdthomas8368 on September 30, 2015, 01:27:12 AMWhen heading to Franklin, get off TN-840 @ Peytonsville-Trinity Rd (x # 34), right at end of ramp, then immediate left onto Peytonsville Rd. Follow for abt 5 mi.  Takes you to I-65 @ north end of construction zone (MM 62).

Thanks! I'm not sure it saved me any time, but it certainly was more enjoyable. 

I-39

When this happens, how would you redo the TN-96/31A/41A 4 way stop in Arrington?

This stretch of road seems to be getting worse by the day.

mdthomas8368

Quote from: I-39 on March 22, 2016, 04:58:37 PM
When this happens, how would you redo the TN-96/31A/41A 4 way stop in Arrington?

The four-way stop at TN-96 and US31A/US41A has now been replaced by a traffic light and a widened intersection with turn lanes.  Signal was turned on yesterday (9/4/19).  This has shortened my trips to and from work by anywhere between 5-20 minutes.

I-39

Quote from: mdthomas8368 on September 05, 2019, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 22, 2016, 04:58:37 PM

The four-way stop at TN-96 and US31A/US41A has now been replaced by a traffic light and a widened intersection with turn lanes.  Signal was turned on yesterday (9/4/19).  This has shortened my trips to and from work by anywhere between 5-20 minutes.

Indeed, it is a much better situation now. However, further improvements are on the horizon for the intersection as part of the SR 96 widening. TDOT now has a formal project page on their website for the project.

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/state-route-96.html

Here's a link to the plans for the east of Wilson Pike to I-840 section. Looks like the intersection will be getting double turn lanes from NB US31A/US41A to WB SR 96.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/region-3-documents/state-route-96/SR96-PublicMeeting-Displays-102419.pdf

It appears the first phase from Arno to east of Wilson Pike in Arrington could begin construction as early as this year. The next phase from east of Wilson Pike to the I-840 overpass may being ROW acquisition this year.

This whole project is long overdue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.