News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Starke, FL US 301 Construction for Bypass

Started by roadman65, May 04, 2018, 11:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Crews are working to complete a new alignment for US 301 to Bypass Starke in Bradford County, FL.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Just noticed the bypass route on the west side of Starke on Google Maps after reading this point...that can't be finished fast enough.  US 301 in general has always been speed trap hell.

roadman65

I think it is slated for completion in late 2019.  At least its one year ahead of the Baldwin Bypass which will be done in 2020. 

At least nearby Waldo is no longer a trap since the city disbanded its force of 5 officers who loved to ticket motorists for even going a few miles over the 35 posted limit even after the sudden drop from 65 into that city.

Sheryl Crowe

VTGoose

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2018, 12:21:50 AM
I think it is slated for completion in late 2019.  At least its one year ahead of the Baldwin Bypass which will be done in 2020. 

At least nearby Waldo is no longer a trap since the city disbanded its force of 5 officers who loved to ticket motorists for even going a few miles over the 35 posted limit even after the sudden drop from 65 into that city.

Signs for Starke bypass state "Winter 2018" so I suspect a December opening (I fervently hope). From the looks of the construction at each end, there will be a traffic signal for traffic going to/coming from what will be the business route through town (i.e., there isn't an interchange at each end).

We just came through there last week and didn't see a single cop car, so speed traps weren't an issue. The bigger problem (other than getting through Starke) is at the I-10 interchange. The work to change the ramp to go east seems to be dragging on and the long backup to turn left has to be getting old for people (we breeze past it to continue up 301 to hit I-95 to the north). Getting through Baldwin since discovering this easy route has only been a problem once and that was due to CSX pulling a long train across the road to get into the nearby yard. The bypass, while nice, should benefit the town more as it loses all the through truck traffic.

Bruce, back in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

froggie

^ Aerial imagery suggests there will be interchanges at FL 100 and FL 16.  Any proof to this in the field?

VTGoose

Quote from: froggie on May 07, 2018, 12:32:46 PM
^ Aerial imagery suggests there will be interchanges at FL 100 and FL 16.  Any proof to this in the field?

From Florida DOT: "The new roadway will consist of two travel lanes in each direction, and overpasses will be constructed over County Road 100A, the CSX Railroad, and County Road 229. Interchanges will be constructed along the new roadway to provide access to State Road 100 and State Road 16."

see http://www.us301northflorida.com/sites/StarkeBypass/Pages/home.aspx

TXtoNJ

When you annoy the rest of the state enough that they construct a bypass specifically to kill your town.

Beltway

I see that there is a US-301 bypass under construction at Baldwin, FL, as well.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: VTGoose on May 07, 2018, 10:37:33 AM

Signs for Starke bypass state "Winter 2018" so I suspect a December opening (I fervently hope).

Won't be anywhere close to opening this year.

roadman65

Quote from: Beltway on May 08, 2018, 11:17:34 PM
I see that there is a US-301 bypass under construction at Baldwin, FL, as well.
That is more recent, though on the planning for years.   It just started and slated for 2020 as Baldwin is known for its two at grade rail crossings with one of them featuring long slow moving freight trains.  This new alignment will bypass the two crossings (and the town as well) and be four lanes making US 301 four lanes from The Villages to Homeland, GA.

Sheryl Crowe

VTGoose

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2018, 11:21:23 PM

Signs for Starke bypass state "Winter 2018" so I suspect a December opening (I fervently hope).

Believable, seeing as how Florida doesn't do construction with any sense of urgency (or visible progress). Near as I can tell, they have moved a lot of sand around on the Starke, I-10, and Baldwin project (they shifted traffic lanes on the north end yet again for some reason or another) but aren't any nearer to putting down pavement than when we went through those areas starting two years ago. I suspect my daughter-in-law will finish her residency and fellowship before those projects are complete.

Bruce in Blacksburg

roadman65

Quote from: VTGoose on May 09, 2018, 09:24:44 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2018, 11:21:23 PM

Believable, seeing as how Florida doesn't do construction with any sense of urgency (or visible progress). Near as I can tell, they have moved a lot of sand around on the Starke, I-10, and Baldwin project (they shifted traffic lanes on the north end yet again for some reason or another) but aren't any nearer to putting down pavement than when we went through those areas starting two years ago. I suspect my daughter-in-law will finish her residency and fellowship before those projects are complete.

Bruce in Blacksburg

The Express Lane Project on FL 528 is even worse.  They spent months rebuilding the John Young Parkway to EB FL 528 ramp to allow for it to be two lanes so there is a double left turn from SB John Young Parkway.  Instead they erected a jersey barrier to use one half the new ramp as a temporary lane shift for the EB 528 ramp to NB JYP while crews redid the EB to NB permanent ramp instead of giving the motorists the new improved ramp instantly.  Plus, that part of the project should have been done years ago when the new overpass over JYP was built to accommodate the new EB to NB ramp.  Now the ramp is open and the half of the JYP to EB 528 ramp is no longer needed, workers after nearly two months STILL have not removed the jersey barriers and opened up the two lane ramp to full capacity.

Then when Osceola County decided to widen Orange Avenue for development due to the future SunRail Station, they closed the entire roadway south of Town Center Blvd. in Orange County to Osceola Parkway for months.  Part of the closed section of road was over the Florida Turnpike which has to replace the entire overpass to accommodate the new future express lanes on the Turnpike!  Instead of the workers on the Turnpike using this opportunity to completely tear down the existing bridge and rebuild the new one at the same moment.  FDOT contractors still started to build half the bridge only and kept the existing one there despite no traffic on it for months, and now that Orange is open once again, is still using the original bridge waiting for the half the new one to open to transfer vehicle traffic over to it so they can tear down the existing structure to allow for the rest of the permanent overpass to be completed!  How dumb is that?  FDOT construction contractors got a free pass to have unobstructed work on a bridge that needs total replacement and be able to get the project done sooner, but did nothing!

Talk about wasting time.  Both projects are the FTE part of FDOT too!  Go figure!  So if FTE could be so slow, so can FDOT District 2 who handles US 301 in both Bradford and Duval Countines.

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

This bypass at Starke is odd.

FDOT is bridging over everything except access to the former 301 where it will be signal controlled on both the north and south ends.

If going to the trouble to bypass, why not create a simple on-off exit diamond for each?

Why bridge over everything "except" the 2 busiest intersections?

Makes no sense.

VTGoose

Quote from: edwaleni on July 06, 2018, 08:29:12 AM

FDOT is bridging over everything except access to the former 301 where it will be signal controlled on both the north and south ends.

If going to the trouble to bypass, why not create a simple on-off exit diamond for each?

Makes no sense.

Maybe a concession to the Starkers (Starkians? Starkites?) so people are still required to come to a complete stop somewhere in or near town? If the lights are ill-timed and set to favor traffic wanting to enter the bypass, then heavy traffic will be stuck waiting for the lights to cycle.

edwaleni

Quote from: VTGoose on July 06, 2018, 08:53:14 AM

Makes no sense.

Maybe a concession to the Starkers (Starkians? Starkites?) so people are still required to come to a complete stop somewhere in or near town? If the lights are ill-timed and set to favor traffic wanting to enter the bypass, then heavy traffic will be stuck waiting for the lights to cycle.

2 lights going around is better than the 4 or 5 going through town (and safer). But I guess all they did was reduce the light count.

If you are going to spend the money, at least do it right.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: VTGoose on July 06, 2018, 08:53:14 AM

Makes no sense.

I don't think they'll do this.  If traffic is coming out of Starke at these intersections, they're most likely not going to go the opposite direction and actually use the bypass.

It's tough to tell, but it's appearing there will be 2 turning lanes for the left turns, minimizing the time the light will be dedicated to these movements.

mgk920

Quote from: TXtoNJ on May 08, 2018, 09:28:38 AM
When you annoy the rest of the state enough that they construct a bypass specifically to kill your town.

Let's see, on the agenda for their next city council meeting is a proposal to annex this new bypass' ROW?

:-o

Mike

roadman65

Quote from: mgk920 on July 07, 2018, 10:43:19 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on May 08, 2018, 09:28:38 AM

Let's see, on the agenda for their next city council meeting is a proposal to annex this new bypass' ROW?

:-o

Mike
Of course.  Unless you are being sarcastic but face facts.  Every time a new road opens in FL, its for developers so they can build their money makers pronto.  Heck look at I-295 in Jacksonville on the east end!  It was built in proposal of a relief to I-95, however it will be its equal (if its not already) cause new open land among a new busy freeway is  um $$$$ for me to get rich (or richer if I have developed already).

No new road is for relief anymore.  Its for economic growth as we are no longer an agricultural nation anymore but a business and real estate nation.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2018, 12:10:32 PM
Of course.  Unless you are being sarcastic but face facts.  Every time a new road opens in FL, its for developers so they can build their money makers pronto.  Heck look at I-295 in Jacksonville on the east end!  It was built in proposal of a relief to I-95, however it will be its equal (if its not already) cause new open land among a new busy freeway is  um $$$$ for me to get rich (or richer if I have developed already).
No new road is for relief anymore.  Its for economic growth as we are no longer an agricultural nation anymore but a business and real estate nation.

How about the First Coast Beltway?  Outer bypass of JAX area?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

RoadPelican

Florida doesn't believe in complete bypasses, you have to go to NC for those kind.  The only complete bypasses in Florida are congested freeways or toll roads.

edwaleni

Quote from: Beltway on July 07, 2018, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2018, 12:10:32 PM

How about the First Coast Beltway?  Outer bypass of JAX area?

FDOT has never promoted the First Coast Beltway as a traffic reliever. (that is why it will be a toll road road after all)  It's the City of Jacksonville trying to promote Cecil Commerce.  Clay County is on board because they are one of the few counties that has no freeway access. They too want the "economic development" they think the beltway will bring.  Also St John's County south of Jacksonville is booming.

Many in Green Cove Springs and Middleburg think this will drive better access to jobs at Cecil Commerce as it continues to grow. (Saft, 2 Amazon facilities, Bridgestone, Boeing and various Navy subs)  But the biggest winner has been the Argyle Forest developments (retail and residential).  I have spoken to some Green Cove and Asbury residents and those that work in Jax says it will be meaningless until the Shands Bridge replacement is built in 2024.   At last view I saw in 2012, that new Shands will look like a Buckman clone. Not very appealing.

The most blatant development driven exit in the world is the "E-Town Parkway" exit on I-795 (currently FL-9B). The Davis Family Trust owns the land in and around the nice little exit ramps that currently go no where. When their "E-Town" development of several hundreds of homes are done, that will become yet another ramp with Gate (Peyton), Shell (Daily's) gas stations and a host of strip malls (Sleiman) with various unremarkable but trendy middle of the road eateries and the typical drive through Starbucks and McDonalds.

VTGoose

Makes no sense.

Came through Starke in the dark, so couldn't see much. There is a major change at the north end of the new bypass though. The new road has been tied in to the bypass so heading south one veers to the right onto the new lanes -- only to have to make a hard left at the intersection with the connector back to the old (soon to be Business) road. At the south end there are some lane shifts but couldn't tell how close that part is to being tied in. Work on this can't end soon enough.

Bruce in Blacksburg

VTGoose

Quote from: VTGoose on November 21, 2018, 09:22:52 AM
Came through Starke in the dark, so couldn't see much. There is a major change at the north end of the new bypass though. The new road has been tied in to the bypass so heading south one veers to the right onto the new lanes -- only to have to make a hard left at the intersection with the connector back to the old (soon to be Business) road. At the south end there are some lane shifts but couldn't tell how close that part is to being tied in. Work on this can't end soon enough.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Came back through Starke on Monday and have progress to report! FLDOT has updated the signs -- sign at the south end now says the project will be completed in Fall 2019 (updated from Winter 2018). The sign at the north end (the "interchange" with the old and new) says it will be completed in Spring 2019.

At the south end, there are some lane shifts while work is done on the tie-in of the bypass with the existing road. Traffic signals are being installed where Starkers (Starkians?) will get on/off the bypass but the connecting road isn't even close. At the north end, northbound traffic goes through some lane shifts (apparently there will be a merge lane from business to bypass going north).

Further north, crews are slogging along with the new interchange of U.S. 301 and I-10 with little apparent progress that bodes well for completion in the near-term. Traffic was backed up for quite a distance waiting to make the left turn onto the existing ramp (we kept going through Baldwin, where there is the same lack of visible progress on the Baldwin bypass). These contractors must be in completion with the ones in Charlotte to see who can drag out a project the longest.

Bruce in Blacksburg

VTGoose

Quote from: VTGoose on November 27, 2018, 09:56:22 AM
At the south end, there are some lane shifts while work is done on the tie-in of the bypass with the existing road. Traffic signals are being installed where Starkers (Starkians?) will get on/off the bypass but the connecting road isn't even close. At the north end, northbound traffic goes through some lane shifts (apparently there will be a merge lane from business to bypass going north).

Bruce in Blacksburg

Came through Stark again on Friday headed to Apollo Beach. Work is still going on at the north end of the bypass, with southbound traffic routed onto the bypass as far as the connection to the old road. At the south end, traffic takes a right onto the access road, then makes a sharp left onto the bypass where there will be traffic lights, and continues south to where the new road ties in with the old road.

It looks like paving is done on the bypass, but guardrails, lines, and signs still need to be installed.

Bruce in Blacksburg

roadman65

Quote from: VTGoose on November 27, 2018, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on November 21, 2018, 09:22:52 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

Came back through Starke on Monday and have progress to report! FLDOT has updated the signs -- sign at the south end now says the project will be completed in Fall 2019 (updated from Winter 2018). The sign at the north end (the "interchange" with the old and new) says it will be completed in Spring 2019.

Further north, crews are slogging along with the new interchange of U.S. 301 and I-10 with little apparent progress that bodes well for completion in the near-term. Traffic was backed up for quite a distance waiting to make the left turn onto the existing ramp (we kept going through Baldwin, where there is the same lack of visible progress on the Baldwin bypass). These contractors must be in completion with the ones in Charlotte to see who can drag out a project the longest.

Bruce in Blacksburg
Then the contractor who widened US 17 & 92 in Kissimmee should be in this running as they are well over a year behind using Hurricane Irma and 100 year old water manes as an excuse.

Look also how long it took to widen US 301 from Baldwin to Callahan.  That took years longer than it should have.  Its finally open now, but should have been in 2015.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.