News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida 60--Lights on for Safety

Started by msubulldog, December 25, 2019, 04:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msubulldog

Why is that posted between Yeehaw Junction and Lake Wales?
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

Max Rockatansky

Because people rush off the Turnpike and try to treat the two lanes like it's limited access.  That part of FL 60 is somewhat infamous for accidents, it definitely doesn't help that it usually the fastest route to the Turnpike from Tampa. 

sprjus4

Any plans to widen the remainder to 4-lanes?

Long-term, since Florida is going all out with toll roads, they ought to build one between Lakeland and Yeehaw Junction at the Turnpike, roughly 70 miles long.

Looking at Google Maps, it appears I-4 to the Turnpike is also a viable, all-freeway route that only adds two additional minutes, assuming no traffic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2019, 08:53:09 AM

Long-term, since Florida is going all out with toll roads, they ought to build one between Lakeland and Yeehaw Junction at the Turnpike, roughly 70 miles long.

Looking at Google Maps, it appears I-4 to the Turnpike is also a viable, all-freeway route that only adds two additional minutes, assuming no traffic.

Which essentially never happens in practice, there is almost always a traffic jam on I-4 near Disney World. 

Alex

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2019, 08:53:09 AM

A design contract to widen SR 60 from CR 630 east to Grape Hammock Road was awarded in March. Will be awhile before construction starts due to funding: http://swflroads.com/sr60/cr60tograpehammock/

Long term plans call for widening the remainder:
http://www.swflroads.com/sr60/cr630tokissimmeeriverbridge/index.html

RoadPelican

Even if this portion of SR 60 were widened, it would still leave a 20 mile gap of 2 lane road between Kissimmee River and Yeehaw Junction.

One would think that the widening project completed in 2007 between I-95 and Yeehaw Junction would jumpstart the widening of the rest of SR 60, but it appears that FDOT has other priorities. 

And that is a shame, because I think this could be a great alternative corridor to I-4 and SR 528.  Especially if bypasses of Brandon, Bartow, and Lake Wales are built.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.