News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Toll road tokens

Started by bugo, August 23, 2014, 07:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Does anybody collect turnpike tokens? I collect coins, so it's only natural that I got into collecting tokens. I just started collecting them, and so far I have the Delaware Turnpike token, the Connecticut Turnpike token. and the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike token.  I'm sure I'll add to the collection in the future.

Brandon

I have never seen an ISTHA (or ISTHC) token, nor heard of their existence.  I have never heard nor seen of any for the Chicago Skyway either.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Connecticut Turnpike
Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, 1934
Port Authority Trans-Hudson
New Hampshire Public Works and Highways
Westchester County Transportation Token
Commerce de France, 1924

Some of these may be bus tokens instead of toll road tokens. I'm not sure.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadrunner75

I'm sure I have a bunch of Garden State Parkway tokens around here somewhere.

bulldog1979

The Mackinac Bridge Authority sells its tokens in little collector display cases now. They have several different designs, all available for order.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 24, 2014, 12:01:08 AM
I'm sure I have a bunch of Garden State Parkway tokens around here somewhere.

I have some of these.  They were cheaper than the full fare, at least when the fare went up to 35¢. 

How about paper toll scrip/coupons/etc.?  I remember one of the authorities (PANYNJ, NYSTA, TBTA) advertised "commuter books" to save time.

Duke87

I have a couple of MTA Bridges and Tunnels tokens.

They are kept with my collection of train and bus cards/passes/tokens.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

StogieGuy7

I have some NH Tokens in a drawer somewhere from about 10 years ago, emblazoned with the Old Man of the Mountain.  I used to buy them all the time (sold by the roll), as they represented a pretty nice discount - just as EZPass does now.   

PMGoldstein

Regarding toll scrip & tokens from New York City Area:

www.nyctollscrip.info

roadman

Quote from: 1 on August 23, 2014, 08:03:29 PM
Connecticut Turnpike
Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, 1934
Port Authority Trans-Hudson
New Hampshire Public Works and Highways
Westchester County Transportation Token
Commerce de France, 1924

Some of these may be bus tokens instead of toll road tokens. I'm not sure.
When they were initially introduced, the later Connecticut Turnpike tokens could be used in the New York City subway.  Until the NYCTA figured out what was happening and adjusted their turnstiles to the proper tolerances.  After that, the Connecticut tokens would get stuck in the turnstile slot when you inserted them.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.