News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Routes that run perpendicular to their implied direction where they intersect

Started by usends, November 19, 2009, 11:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Apologies for the wordy subject line; here's what I mean:

US 95 was extended southward through Yuma AZ in about 1961.  It's a north-south route, but traffic uses an east-west road (16th St.) to pass through Yuma.

US 80 remained in Yuma until it was truncated in about 1979.  It's an east-west route, but its course through downtown Yuma is north-south.  (This is the route of today's Business I-8, on 4th St.)

So, for that approximately-20-year period, where US 80 and US 95 intersected, they were running perpendicular to their ultimate cardinal destinations.  In other words, northbound US 95 was to the east; eastbound US 80 was to the south; etc.

That's actually still the case to this day (since old US 80 is now designated Bus. I-8, which would also be signed east-west), but not quite as cool in my opinion, since the roads aren't the same type of designation anymore.  I imagine this could make for some potentially confusing signage at the intersection, but I notice on Google Street View that AZDoT has sidestepped the issue by not using directional tabs for the intersecting route.

Anyway, that situation struck me as kind of unusual, so I thought I'd ask whether anyone's aware of any similar examples.  That is, a north-south route which has an east-west segment, and on this segment it intersects an east-west route running along a north-south segment.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

english si

I-96 and I-75 in Detriot? I-69 and I-94 in Port Huron, MI? I-26 and I-81 in Kingsport, TN? US52 and I-85 in Lexington, NC? I-26 and I-77 in Columbia, SC? Some of these are quite iffy, though I think the Kingsport one fairs very well.

vdeane

In Canton NY, US 11 and NY 68 split off like this.  US 11 is heading east-west (posted north/south) and NY 68 (posted east/west) heads off to the south.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on November 24, 2009, 09:09:52 PM
In Canton NY, US 11 and NY 68 split off like this.  US 11 is heading east-west (posted north/south) and NY 68 (posted east/west) heads off to the south.

...well, to be fair, 11 kinda heads northeast towards Potsdam while 68 heads southeast towards Colton. :D

And in the same general area, although it's not at the intersection point (since they're going in their respective directions at that point), US2 heads east into Vermont before turning to the south for a while, and US11 heads south from that point before heading west.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

florida

Before a section of FL 526 (Crystal Lake Dr) was decommissioned in Orlando, it did intersect FL 15 (South/Anderson Streets) on a north-south routing and signed east-west, while FL 15 is on an east-west routing and signed north-south.

Another that probably doesn't count (or is backwards) is FL 436 and FL 15, but FL 436 is signed north-south and FL 15 is signed east-west.
So many roads...so little time.

rawmustard

Quote from: english si on November 24, 2009, 06:38:53 PM
I-96 and I-75 in Detriot? I-69 and I-94 in Port Huron, MI?
In regard to the former, this interchange's highways don't come in from true N-S and E-W. I-96 comes in from the northwest, while I-75 comes in from the southeast and leaves going northeast. In regard to the latter, I-69 is east-west around Port Huron anyway

leifvanderwall

This is a tough topic but: US 41 going east-west when meeting M-95 in the Upper Peninsula, M-43 meeting with M-37 in Hastings-I believe M-43 is east-west for the majority of the route except from Richland to M-66, and M-50 going north-south when meeting US 12 at MIS.

Alps

There are routes that end up intersecting at a negative angle - for example, you're traveling "northbound", and "eastbound" is actually to the left.  The first one that comes to mind is CR 516 and NJ 36, where 516 east crosses 36 and then makes a left onto 36 south (so northbound, you'd make a right to go west).  516 is pretty straight E-W for the most part, while the top of 36 is as well.

Bickendan

Two wrong-way multiplexes both running perpendicular to their signed directions:
OR 99W/219 in Newberg, OR, running east-west on their duplex (OR 99W's north is east, 219's north is west).
And...

I-80/580 in Oakland and Berkeley, CA. This one gets a bonus, too.
I-80's east is north-northwest, 580's east is south-southeast.

Riverside Frwy

To me the whole "East-West North-South" thing on road signs is B.S.

It just causes confusion, and it's probably better to list control cities anyway.If I'm in Cincinnati, OH on Interstate 71, and a sign just says "I-71 Columbus" I think I would know I'm heading North.

Either takeout the directional system, or atleast make it dynamic.For example, half the time I-580 in CA is heading North-South as well as East-West the other half of the time.It's literally 50-50.

papakilz

How about the I-77/I-81/US-11/US-52 multiplex near Wytheville, VA?  You're travelling on I-81 North and I-77 South (or vice versa) in the five mile (or so) multiplex, but the roads actually run east/west!

vdeane

Here's a stranger one: US 11 and NY 58 multiplex for a short distance in Postdam.  Heading north on US 11, and you're heading SOUTH on NY 58.  And it's on a north-south alignment, so it's not even a case of two north-south roads changing places on the grid.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=44.668165,-74.989071&spn=0.018587,0.045276&z=15
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Downtown Manitowoc, WI - 10 East meets 151 North, 10 east is going south, 151 North is going East. :ded:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadfro

Not quite what the OP talked about, but there's one in Nevada that partially follows the topic. The Spaghetti Bowl in downtown Las Vegas is the junction of I-15 and US 95. Both of these are north-south routes, but US 95 intersects I-15 at an almost perpendicular angle.  (This is due to the fact that US 95 was rerouted along what was then the east-west Las Vegas Expressway western spur from downtown, which was later extended east and south towards Henderson.)  So, if you're heading north on I-15, you turn 90° west to head north on US 95.

This interchange is also the beginning of the north-south I-515 spur (co-signed with US 95 on the east), resulting in another perpendicular angle.  Also, US 93 is cosigned with I-15 north of the Spaghetti Bowl and I-515/US 95 east of the junction, which results in a 90° turn just to maintain your cardinal direction if following US 93.

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on November 29, 2009, 06:26:01 PM
To me the whole "East-West North-South" thing on road signs is B.S.

It just causes confusion, and it's probably better to list control cities anyway.If I'm in Cincinnati, OH on Interstate 71, and a sign just says "I-71 Columbus" I think I would know I'm heading North.

Either takeout the directional system, or atleast make it dynamic.For example, half the time I-580 in CA is heading North-South as well as East-West the other half of the time.It's literally 50-50.

Did you grow up in Europe by chance? Navigation by control cities is the status quo there.  :-P  Seriously, though, peoples' different navigational styles are likely the reason why both control cities and cardinal directions are used on guide signs in the U.S.

For myself, I find that cardinal directions are a huge benefit. This is especially true in cases where the road may not be aligned north-south at a particular point, but that is the overall alignment that I might be looking for.  I think it is easier to tell someone to "get on I-71 north" than it would be to "get on I-71 heading to Columbus".

As far as loops/spurs are concerned, many of these are signed dynamically based on directionality of that particular segment. For an urban route, this seems more ideal. However, for a long-distance route, changing the directional banners for a short distance perpendicular to the overall highway direction is not helpful for the intrastate/interstate traveler.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on November 30, 2009, 08:12:19 PM
I think it is easier to tell someone to "get on I-71 north" than it would be to "get on I-71 heading to Columbus".

especially if the road is a minor one, and the "control city" is the town 10 miles away.  A visitor from halfway across the country cannot reasonably be expected to know where, say, Great Bend, Kansas is.  (A valid US-281 control city.)  Yes, it's around here somewhere, but is it ahead of us or behind us?  To have the NORTH banner on 281 is essential.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Or, in my case, I will be randomly driving back to NJ and want to explore different roads (county routes, for example).  I absolutely need to know that I am maintaining an orientation roughly in the right direction (say, mostly south and a little west) so that I can make decisions at key points.  With a N/S/E/W system in place, I can navigate "by feel", which if you think about it, is why road signs are around at all.  (Otherwise, just use a detailed map.)

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 30, 2009, 08:45:32 PM
Or, in my case, I will be randomly driving back to NJ and want to explore different roads (county routes, for example).  I absolutely need to know that I am maintaining an orientation roughly in the right direction (say, mostly south and a little west) so that I can make decisions at key points.  With a N/S/E/W system in place, I can navigate "by feel", which if you think about it, is why road signs are around at all.  (Otherwise, just use a detailed map.)

that was my undoing when I first tried to follow CA-110 (Arroyo Seco Freeway), signed "north" into Pasadena.  This was in moderate fog, so no navigating by the sun.  A half-hour later, after getting utterly lost on Pasadena's street grid, I figured out the problem: by the time it ends, the 110, signed north, is heading due east.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

I can kind of name a couple (I don't think they quite fit what you're talking about, USEnds):  US-89/89A in Kanab, UT, where US-89 pretty much runs east-west between there and Page, AZ, and US-89A, which, all things considered, has a more east-west than north-south route despite being labled N-S (the only true N-S portion is between Kanab and Fredonia, AZ).  The other is US-89A and AZ-67 at Jacob Lake; US-89A, again, runs more E-W than N-S.

However, I digress with these, though they somewhat fit the bill.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Hellfighter

I-96 between I-275 and I-696 is signed east-west, but runs north-south. Also, I-75 between I-96/Ambassador Bridge and M-3 connector/I-375 runs East-West. And last, we can't forget about the lodge, that starts north-south, but becomes east-west.

njroadhorse

Quote from: HighwayMaster on November 29, 2009, 05:52:39 PM
I-26 and I-85 in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
How about just I-26 and everything it intersects from Kingsport, TN to Spartanburg.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

One I just went through this weekend, I-180 and PA 405 at Exit 13 near Muncy, PA.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Muncy+pa&sll=35.449033,-97.487094&sspn=0.001621,0.003484&g=Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Muncy,+Lycoming,+Pennsylvania&ll=41.211108,-76.768384&spn=0.023826,0.055747&t=h&z=15

I-180 is signed E-W and goes through the interchange running almost due N-S.  (I-180 East also turns Westward south of Muncy, too.)  PA 405 is signed N-S and runs mainly E-W, but enough N-S that it might be OK.  But, just to the east of the interchange, before meeting PA 442, PA 405 North turns Southeast.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

AR 96 is posted E-W, but intersects AR 22 going N-S (west going south)

Also AR 252 north of Charleston, AR: posted E-W, runs N-S (east going south)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-74 Between Galesburg and Quad Cities. It then runs Northwest to Southeast to Cincy

joseph1723

Here's one in Ontario at the ON 401 and ON 427 interchange at Exit 348 on ON 401 where ON 427 (a north south freeway) runs east west and parallel to ON 401 when it crosses ON 401.  

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.671752,-79.584017&spn=0.01431,0.043602&z=15

TheStranger

Southbound Interstate 280 intersecting US 101 in San Jose is heading due northeast by the time it hits its terminus; likewise, northbound Interstate 280 intersecting US 101 in San Jose is heading due east.

Route 85 southbound in southern San Jose intersects Route 17 and Route 87 going almost due east at both junctions.

In Redwood City, the western segment of Route 84 (Woodside Road) going eastbound intersects US 101 going a bit northeast, while US 101 southbound heads slightly southeast (more east-west).
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.