News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highest speed limit that you have seen while on the road.

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 18, 2019, 04:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What speed limit?

85 mph
24 (17.3%)
80 mph
51 (36.7%)
75 mph
37 (26.6%)
70 mph
22 (15.8%)
65 mph
0 (0%)
60 mph
0 (0%)
55 mph
0 (0%)
50 or bellow mph
5 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 139

wxfree

Those permanent "Bridge ices before road" signs are used in Texas, too.  Years ago they had the flip signs, and they were closed and opened each year.  On the bottom back side of the sign, which was exposed when it was closed, there was a "Don't mess with Texas" stamp.  I once saw a paper that showed when those signs were to be opened and closed, with longer open seasons to the north.

They're used everywhere.  In seems ridiculous, but I can see why you might want such signs in places where it isn't obvious that there's a bridge ahead.  There are culverts with dirt and grass on each side of the road, where you can drive by for years and not even know it isn't solid ground.  But if you're unfamiliar with the road, and the visibility isn't very good, which can happen in winter storms, it's nice to have a warning of a bridge ahead.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

US 89

It amazes me how many people don't realize bridges ice up before the rest of the road does. Or that it often gets icy under bridges, which I'm not sure I've ever seen a sign for.

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2019, 06:32:38 AM
Quote from: X99 on October 09, 2019, 10:28:30 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 09, 2019, 10:22:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2019, 11:21:17 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 11, 2019, 06:40:16 AM
130 km/h on E18 in Finland (but now I believe the highest allowed there is 120 km/h now) and 80 MPH on I-15 in Utah.

I can't find much information on this old limit. About what time frame were you in Finland?

The 130 km/h limit on motorways was in effect in the 1990's and early 2000's, then it was cut back to 120 km/h.

Finland has higher speed limits during the warm season (roughly April to October).  November to March, posted limits go down to a maximum of 80 km/h on arterial highways and 100 km/h on motorways (yes, nearly all of the  speed limit signs outside urbanized  areas are changed-out twice a year).
Changed out? They can't just put a flap on it and flip it twice a year, like they do with the "bridge ices before road" signs in the US?

Fix that to: "...like they do in some southern states in the US?" The majority of states don't use flip signs, and even in states that do not all signs are designed to flip.

Signs like this one are common all over the West Coast states. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6432517,-118.6919579,3a,21.3y,151.17h,86.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHZf0HTaZOW0DCznJthx5AQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I have seen lots of "hinged" signs like this that can be folded over when not needed as well.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mirtai/379809940

X99

Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2019, 12:48:42 PM
But are those signs flip signs?  Around this part of the country, they're usually on display on a permanent basis.
Yes, they are.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

michravera

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on October 10, 2019, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2019, 06:32:38 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2019, 11:21:17 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 11, 2019, 06:40:16 AM
130 km/h on E18 in Finland (but now I believe the highest allowed there is 120 km/h now) and 80 MPH on I-15 in Utah.

I can't find much information on this old limit. About what time frame were you in Finland?

The 130 km/h limit on motorways was in effect in the 1990's and early 2000's, then it was cut back to 120 km/h.

Finland has higher speed limits during the warm season (roughly April to October).  November to March, posted limits go down to a maximum of 80 km/h on arterial highways and 100 km/h on motorways (yes, nearly all of the  speed limit signs outside urbanized  areas are changed-out twice a year).
Changed out? They can't just put a flap on it and flip it twice a year, like they do with the "bridge ices before road" signs in the US?

Fix that to: "...like they do in some southern states in the US?" The majority of states don't use flip signs, and even in states that do not all signs are designed to flip.

Signs like this one are common all over the West Coast states. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6432517,-118.6919579,3a,21.3y,151.17h,86.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHZf0HTaZOW0DCznJthx5AQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I have seen lots of "hinged" signs like this that can be folded over when not needed as well.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mirtai/379809940

The signs in the the California Sierras read "Bridge may be icy [even] when road is dry".

cpzilliacus

That is not how they do it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 09, 2019, 10:30:18 PM
November to March, posted limits go down to a maximum of 80 km/h on arterial highways and 100 km/h on motorways (yes, nearly all of the  speed limit signs outside urbanized  areas are changed-out twice a year).
Willing to bet nobody actually slows down, rather it's just an artificial limit based on functional class and weather.

I am willing to bet that they do.  In Finland, traffic fines are set as a function of income (called "day fines").  So someone that has a salary of millions of Euros will pay much, much more than someone earning say €50,000 a year.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 17, 2019, 11:52:30 PM

That is not how they do it.

Why not? There's plenty of flippy signs throughout this country. Why not for speed limit signs?

Tonytone

Since the average speed has been increasing since cars were first made. When do you guys think we will see a 100mph speed limit that is safe to travel at & also feels comfortable.

What would have to change in order for this to occur.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 18, 2019, 01:44:45 AM
Since the average speed has been increasing since cars were first made. When do you guys think we will see a 100mph speed limit that is safe to travel at & also feels comfortable.

What would have to change in order for this to occur.

iPhone

Taking the controls out of the driver's hands.

Making sure all tires have ratings to handle 100 mph.

Tremendously safer safety equipment on the roads.  Guardrails and even concrete barriers aren't made to withstand 100 mph speeds, especially trucks.

Tremendously longer accel/decal lanes.  Even at the current preferred guidance of 1,200 feet, they would be too short for most vehicles to accelerate or decelerate in the proper amount of time.

Better lighting.  Remember your driver's instruction....don't drive faster than how far you can see.

Better radii on curve. 

Better roads overall, including what can and can't be controlled by transportation departments - better pavements; fewer potholes; less debris on the roadways.

vdeane

In Germany people regularly drive those speeds on the Autobahn without issue.  Why don't we just improve the driver education to their level, and then require everyone to retake training to the new standards by the next time they renew their licence after a five year grace period?

Though realistically, the entire culture surrounding enforcement will have to change.  As long as we remain focused on speed as the cause of all ills on the road and the insurance companies do all the safety studies, it won't happen.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

X99

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 12:49:27 PM
In Germany people regularly drive those speeds on the Autobahn without issue.  Why don't we just improve the driver education to their level, and then require everyone to retake training to the new standards by the next time they renew their licence after a five year grace period?

Though realistically, the entire culture surrounding enforcement will have to change.  As long as we remain focused on speed as the cause of all ills on the road and the insurance companies do all the safety studies, it won't happen.
It's not just the drivers' experience. The autobahns are better constructed and better maintained.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 12:49:27 PM

You're basing your assumption on that all roads are built alike.

Autobahns are built with higher design speeds in mind, up to about 100 mph in some places, but often aren't much higher than 80 mph in other places.  Thus, things like curve radii are smoother, and sharper curves will have advisory speeds in place.

Cars sold in Germany will have tires enginered for higher speeds.

Many medians will have concrete barriers.  Guard rails and cable barriers run much of the length of right shoulders.

Many vehicles other than cars do have speed limits to obey.

And finally...believe it or not, hundreds of people die every year on the autobahns.  Many thousands more are in accidents!

So clearly it's not just driver education.  And clearly drivers in Germany definitely have issues when driving!

vdeane

I wouldn't say that the Autobahn has universally higher standards than the interstates.  Take a look here.  That left shoulder is WAY too narrow, and the way the right shoulder just disappears for the deceleration lane would NEVER be allowed here.  They don't look unusually straight compared to rural interstates, either.

Honestly, I'd be happy if the speed limits on the rural interstates were raised to 75-80 and the urban ones to 65 where roadway geometry isn't substandard, which would be in line with the rest of Europe (even Italy, which has crazy merges from tight ramps like this (which honestly reminds me of an old-style NY parkway with a ramp ending in a stop sign!)), but we won't even get that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

This discussion of flip signs makes me think of Rosco P. Coltrane's speed trap.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on October 10, 2019, 02:11:02 PM
It amazes me how many people don't realize bridges ice up before the rest of the road does.

Is it that they don't realize, or simply don't care?

In my case, I'm well aware that the bridges ice first, but if there's snow and/or ice, I'm going to be exercising caution anyways, so I've never thought it was a particularly worthwhile thing to point out. It's not going to affect my driving behavior either way, and I'm certainly not going to brake/slow way down for every bridge I encounter.

kphoger

When do you guys think we will see a 100mph speed limit

Well, technically, the speed limit on this motorway in the UAE is only 99.4 mph (160km/h), but camera enforcement begins at 100.0 mph (161 km/h).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on October 29, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
When do you guys think we will see a 100mph speed limit

Well, technically, the speed limit on this motorway in the UAE is only 99.4 mph (160km/h), but camera enforcement begins at 100.0 mph (161 km/h).
LMAO WHAT! Enforcement begins at 100 MPH who is gonna keep their speed @99mph. I guess this will
Prevent speeding unless you want a nice fine. But also kinda dumb imo. Atleast do 106MPH for ticket enforcement.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 02:02:52 PM
I wouldn't say that the Autobahn has universally higher standards than the interstates.  Take a look here.  That left shoulder is WAY too narrow, and the way the right shoulder just disappears for the deceleration lane would NEVER be allowed here.  They don't look unusually straight compared to rural interstates, either.

Which is why the limit on that stretch is only 100 km/h. Typically, Germany won't do unrestricted unless it's 6+ lanes and modern standards.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.