News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highest speed limit that you have seen while on the road.

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 18, 2019, 04:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What speed limit?

85 mph
24 (17.3%)
80 mph
51 (36.7%)
75 mph
37 (26.6%)
70 mph
22 (15.8%)
65 mph
0 (0%)
60 mph
0 (0%)
55 mph
0 (0%)
50 or bellow mph
5 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 139

doorknob60

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 03, 2019, 04:55:29 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 03, 2019, 09:12:41 AM
Quote from: kkt on October 02, 2019, 10:14:03 PM
Highest speed limit on a non-state maintained road:  45 mph on the Golden Gate Bridge

Wait, what? Do you mean lowest?

In New York, county roads default to 55 mph. Many of them don't even have speed limit signs; it's just assumed.
I can only imagine that type of thing is more common the further west one travels!
-His- highest speed.

Plenty of 50s (and probably 55s) in Washington, and 55 is the default in Oregon like in NY, so living in Seattle, 45 is still quite surprising.

kkt

Highest speed limit on a non-state maintained road:  45 mph on the Golden Gate Bridge

In New York, county roads default to 55 mph. Many of them don't even have speed limit signs; it's just assumed.
I can only imagine that type of thing is more common the further west one travels!

I was looking for the highest posted speed limit on a non-state-maintained road I have a specific recollection of.  Most of the county roads don't bother posting speed limits unless they're low.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on October 03, 2019, 09:21:39 PM

I was looking for the highest posted speed limit on a non-state-maintained road I have a specific recollection of.  Most of the county roads don't bother posting speed limits unless they're low.

Depends what state you're in.  NJ's counties posts limits on nearly every single roadway.

And for that matter, in New Jersey 55 mph is the highest on a county roadway...unless you want to include toll roads administered by agencies or authorities run by the state or bi-state, in which case the highest limit is 65.

US 89

I believe the highest non-state maintained speed limit I've seen is 65 mph, on Peña Blvd in Denver.

wxfree

In Texas, the default speed limit for a rural non-state road is 60.  I've been on plenty of roads with no speed limit signs, but those are mostly gravel roads on which going that fast would be a mistake.  That's similar to a no-speed-limit situation, in which you go as fast as you feel safe going.  With metes-and-bounds surveying, in much of the state county roads have a lot of curves, including right-angle turns.  All over the areas I've been, paved county roads tend to have speed limit signs.  The highest signed speed limit I've seen on a county road is 55.  The highest speed limit a city can set is 75 (this includes a city's authority to set speed limits on highways, including freeways, which is concurrent with, but subordinate to, TxDOT's authority).  The highest speed limit a county can set is 70 (counties cannot set speed limits on state highways), except that counties can set speed limits of 75 on freeways.  The only county road freeways I know of are toll roads run by county toll authorities.  Those and toll roads run by regional tollway authorities and regional mobility authorities have a maximum limit of 75, and are non-state roads.  State roads have the highest speed limit options, because only TxDOT can set a speed limit of 80 or 85.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

TheHighwayMan3561

In MN there's a section of Stearns County 75 posted at 60 MPH between I-94 and Waite Park outside of St. Cloud. There used to be a section of Scott County 18 (now 21) that was posted 60 but was dropped back to 55 after reconstruction.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2019, 10:01:16 PM
Depends what state you're in.  NJ's counties posts limits on nearly every single roadway.

And for that matter, in New Jersey 55 mph is the highest on a county roadway...unless you want to include toll roads administered by agencies or authorities run by the state or bi-state, in which case the highest limit is 65.
I don't believe I've ever seen 55 explicitly posted on an NJ county route. 50 is common, though.

vdeane

For something that's not posted, I'd go with whatever the statutory default would be for the road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on October 04, 2019, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2019, 10:01:16 PM

I don't believe I've ever seen 55 explicitly posted on an NJ county route. 50 is common, though.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ji51QJ6fWsNMV5Xe7

At the intersection of NJ 72 and CR 539, this is one of the few (if not only) intersections in NJ where all 4 legs have a 55 mph limit.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2019, 01:11:57 PM
For something that's not posted, I'd go with whatever the statutory default would be for the road.

That's what most of us would do too, but I understand why someone wouldn't count a statute on the books as a "speed limit that you have seen while on the road".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

The highest posted speed limit I've seen on a road not maintained by a state is 70 mph on various British motorways. :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

According to RCW 46.61.400, county roads in WA are 50 unless otherwise posted. But I'm not sure that would count as there's no specific sign to have "seen", as required by the thread title.

sprjus4

Quote from: wxfree on October 04, 2019, 07:10:35 AM
Those and toll roads run by regional tollway authorities and regional mobility authorities have a maximum limit of 75, and are non-state roads.  State roads have the highest speed limit options, because only TxDOT can set a speed limit of 80 or 85.
TX-130 around Austin is posted at 80 and 85 mph, and is a ran by a regional tollway authority + private company.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2019, 04:21:24 PM
The highest posted speed limit I've seen on a road not maintained by a state is 70 mph on various British motorways. :bigass:

As I noted on the second page of this thread, the highest speed limit I've ever seen is 130 km/h (81 mph), and it wasn't either a road maintained by a (constituent) state :bigass:. However it was maintained by a sovereign state.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 05, 2019, 09:21:29 AM
Those and toll roads run by regional tollway authorities and regional mobility authorities have a maximum limit of 75, and are non-state roads.  State roads have the highest speed limit options, because only TxDOT can set a speed limit of 80 or 85.
TX-130 around Austin is posted at 80 and 85 mph, and is a ran by a regional tollway authority + private company.
I think TxDOT still set the speed limit... after asking for a bribe:

The tolling company lobbied hard for the higher limit. However, the state determined that such a high speed limit would require special consideration, specifically a $100 million payment to the state. To be fair, the state said it could do an 80 mph limit for only $67 million.

https://www.motorists.org/alerts/ppp-myth-busters-nma-e-newsletter-375/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Highest number and highest 2-lane:  Mackenzie Highway, Northwest Territories, 110 km/h (68 mph for metric-challenged Yanks and Brits)

I didn't realize NWT was posting anything higher than 100 - any idea when this changed?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

wxfree

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 05, 2019, 09:21:29 AM

The Central Texas Turnpike System, which includes the northern part of SH 130, 45N, 45SE, and the fully-tolled section of Loop 1, is run by TxDOT.  The included part of 130, and 45SE, have speed limits of 80.  Other toll roads in the Austin area, excluding the southern part of 130, are run by the RMA and have a maximum limit of 75.  The southern part of SH 130 is run by the concessionaire under the authority of TxDOT, which has the right to set the speed limit.

I didn't know until I checked just now, but SH 45SW is run by the RMA.  That number is now split between authorities.  It's also a state highway, while most other RMA roads are not.  The only other one I know of is SH 550/I-169.  Toll 49 near Tyler is often called Loop 49, but the open section was removed from the designation when the road was transferred to the RMA and is not a state highway.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kkt

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 08, 2019, 02:03:31 PM
Highest number and highest 2-lane:  Mackenzie Highway, Northwest Territories, 110 km/h (68 mph for metric-challenged Yanks and Brits)

I didn't realize NWT was posting anything higher than 100 - any idea when this changed?

No, I saw it in June of 2012.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2019, 11:21:17 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 11, 2019, 06:40:16 AM
130 km/h on E18 in Finland (but now I believe the highest allowed there is 120 km/h now) and 80 MPH on I-15 in Utah.

I can't find much information on this old limit. About what time frame were you in Finland?

The 130 km/h limit on motorways was in effect in the 1990's and early 2000's, then it was cut back to 120 km/h.

Finland has higher speed limits during the warm season (roughly April to October).  November to March, posted limits go down to a maximum of 80 km/h on arterial highways and 100 km/h on motorways (yes, nearly all of the  speed limit signs outside urbanized  areas are changed-out twice a year).

Traffic signs in Finland are discussed pretty well  on this page and overall driving rules can be found here (.pdf).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

X99

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 09, 2019, 10:22:42 PM
130 km/h on E18 in Finland (but now I believe the highest allowed there is 120 km/h now) and 80 MPH on I-15 in Utah.

I can't find much information on this old limit. About what time frame were you in Finland?

The 130 km/h limit on motorways was in effect in the 1990's and early 2000's, then it was cut back to 120 km/h.

Finland has higher speed limits during the warm season (roughly April to October).  November to March, posted limits go down to a maximum of 80 km/h on arterial highways and 100 km/h on motorways (yes, nearly all of the  speed limit signs outside urbanized  areas are changed-out twice a year).
Changed out? They can't just put a flap on it and flip it twice a year, like they do with the "bridge ices before road" signs in the US?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sprjus4

November to March, posted limits go down to a maximum of 80 km/h on arterial highways and 100 km/h on motorways (yes, nearly all of the  speed limit signs outside urbanized  areas are changed-out twice a year).
Willing to bet nobody actually slows down, rather it's just an artificial limit based on functional class and weather.

CNGL-Leudimin

I decided to vote "50 or bellow" even thought that is incorrect, only because the Spanish word for what one does with a bellows also has the far better known meaning of "to f***" :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: X99 on October 09, 2019, 10:28:30 PM

Changed out? They can't just put a flap on it and flip it twice a year, like they do with the "bridge ices before road" signs in the US?

Fix that to: "...like they do in some southern states in the US?" The majority of states don't use flip signs, and even in states that do not all signs are designed to flip.

X99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2019, 06:32:38 AM
Quote from: X99 on October 09, 2019, 10:28:30 PM

Fix that to: "...like they do in some southern states in the US?" The majority of states don't use flip signs, and even in states that do not all signs are designed to flip.
South Dakota, despite having south in its name, is not a southern state. We have signs that say "watch for ice on bridge" all over the place here.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

vdeane

But are those signs flip signs?  Around this part of the country, they're usually on display on a permanent basis.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.