News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Shortest Through Street/Road

Started by NWI_Irish96, August 27, 2019, 08:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

What is the shortest through street/road you know of that meets the following criteria:

1) Publicly accessible for its entire length
2) Connects to publicly accessible streets/roads at both termini
3) Is named and signed

There is a 350 foot long street in Lansing, IL, named Bikeway, that connects Bernice Ave and 175th St via an underpass under the Borman Expwy.  The underpass was previously for a railroad.  When the tracks were removed the railroad right of way became a fairly long bike trail, but a street was installed for the 350 feet running underneath the Borman.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

One off the top of my head: Brenner Ave...260 Feet long from stop line to stop line.  Connects Tanyard Rd (CR 663) and Delsea Drive (NJ 47) to prevent a skewed intersection just to the north of it.  https://goo.gl/maps/YBgvKuSD6cJo5nYUA

ftballfan

Manistee, MI has some short streets but the shortest is Daniels St, which runs 250 feet from 5th Ave to 6th Ave

hotdogPi

Exit 19 on MA 128 (not I-95), between the two rotaries: about 300 feet, depending on how you count it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

frankenroad

Seal Street in the Oakley neighborhood of Cincinnati.   Looks like about 250 ft between Mt Vernon Ave. and Isabella Ave.   There are no houses with a Seal St address.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Mrt90

Grant Road in Kenosha, Wisconsin is 290 feet and connects 40th Avenue and 41st Avenue.  This is the entirety of Grant Road in Kenosha.  Since it runs SW/NE parallel to the railroad tracks I guess they felt it shouldn't follow the number grid, although they easily could have given those dozen or so houses a 41st Avenue address or even a 68th Place address if they wanted to follow the numbering scheme.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.5712662,-87.8576468/42.5717096,-87.8567498/@42.5708094,-87.8571107,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Mark68

Cheyenne Place in Denver: 262 feet of one-way road that acts as a short cut between (one-way) SB Broadway and WB Colfax Ave.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

froggie

There's one I know in Connecticut that meets 2.5 of the criteria that's less than 140ft...don't think it's signed, though.

cwf1701

Ethelyn Ct in Eastpoint MI is fairly short and runs about 500 feet from Gratiot (M-3) to Virginia Ave.  They may be some shorter streets, but they dead end.

TheHighwayMan3561

Duluth has a couple at the north end of Park Point. 8th and 12th Sts both come in under 250 connecting Lake Ave to Minnesota Ave.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

First thing I thought of is Line Drive, a ~300 foot connector between the one-way SW 2nd and 3rd Streets in Des Moines, allowing SW 3rd St traffic to get to Principal Park.

Rothman

Library Lane in Granby, MA is pretty darned short.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

1995hoo

Does it count if the "street" is defined by crossing jurisdictional boundaries? If so, I can't figure out the exact distance using Street View, and because there are no signs I can't go walk it off with a pedometer, but North Arizona Street in Arlington, Virginia, has to be one of the shortest. The county line corresponds with the City of Falls Church on either side, so the street goes from North Meridian Street (Falls Church) to North Arizona Street (Arlington) back to North Meridian, all within a smidgen of distance. The distance is minimal. Google Maps estimated 66 feet, but surely it can't be that short. Can it??!!!!!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pianocello

My personal favorite is the aptly-named Short St in St. Johns, MI. I measure it at 240 feet.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 27, 2019, 08:30:15 PM
Does it count if the "street" is defined by crossing jurisdictional boundaries? If so, I can't figure out the exact distance using Street View, and because there are no signs I can't go walk it off with a pedometer, but North Arizona Street in Arlington, Virginia, has to be one of the shortest. The county line corresponds with the City of Falls Church on either side, so the street goes from North Meridian Street (Falls Church) to North Arizona Street (Arlington) back to North Meridian, all within a smidgen of distance. The distance is minimal. Google Maps estimated 66 feet, but surely it can't be that short. Can it??!!!!!

Crazy geography...it sits at the far western apex of the original DC square (the "A" in "West Arlington") It's effectively a short line segment just east of the triple point between Arlington, Falls Church, and Fairfax County. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Arlington,+VA/@38.8953798,-77.1845547,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7b69d7ba7a70f:0xf8cf6fc845f6b093!8m2!3d38.8799756!4d-77.1067715

Note that there's a boundary stone there... (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8932352,-77.1718782,3a,15y,252.08h,69.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scleFnjFlLbvBnoPvej2Hug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656)

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Edgar Street in Lower Manhattan is about 105' long measured at the centerline.

Big John

michravera

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 27, 2019, 08:20:46 AM
What is the shortest through street/road you know of that meets the following criteria:

3) Is named and signed

There is a 350 foot long street in Lansing, IL, named Bikeway, that connects Bernice Ave and 175th St via an underpass under the Borman Expwy.  The underpass was previously for a railroad.  When the tracks were removed the railroad right of way became a fairly long bike trail, but a street was installed for the 350 feet running underneath the Borman.

The public portion of South Lake Commons in Fremont, CA is around 25 m, big enough for three or four cars to wait at the stop signs at each end (maybe twice that, if you measure to the centerlines and slightly longer still, if you measure to the extreme sides of Auto Mall). It connects Eastbound Auto Mall Parkway to Westbound Auto Mall Parkway. It continues as a private road into the prefab park in which I live for another 500 m or so.

I have to think that in Old Town Sacramento and Downtown San Francisco that there are several alleys that meet all three criteria that are less than 50 m.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 27, 2019, 08:20:46 AM

3) Is named and signed

The shortest street in Paris is the rue des Degrés, at about 19 feet in length. However, the street consists entirely of a staircase, so it might not count. In any case, here's a picture.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on August 27, 2019, 08:59:12 AMExit 19 on MA 128 (not I-95) northbound, between the two rotaries: about 300 feet, depending on how you count it.
FTFY.  Personally, I would have listed the town (Beverly) in the above as a means of avoiding the use of the (not I-95) term. 

Until looking at the recent GSVs for that area, that short stretch is actually named, per the street-blade signage, Connector Rd..  However, Google still refers it this stretch as a continuation of Sohier Road.  Such (the naming) was probably the case prior to those two circles being retrofitted into that interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on August 27, 2019, 07:39:11 PM
Library Lane in Granby, MA is pretty darned short.
About 135 ft long.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bulldog1979

Hospital Drive in Marquette, Michigan, is about 210 long by my measure. It runs between two roundabouts to connect Baraga Avenue to US 41/M-28 in front of the new hospital, and it's signed, so it meets all three criteria.

sandwalk

McKinley Street in Bellefontaine, Ohio is ~20 feet long.  It's also signed as "Shortest Street in America."

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/PmGbn2yV6V2kqonj6

Michael

Malt St in Weedsport, NY is 89 feet long.  Ever since I first I saw it as a kid, I've wondered "What's the point?".  I suppose it could be used as a bypass for the intersection just to the north, but there's no turn restriction there, and it looks like a tractor-trailer would have enough room to turn if they took it wide.  I've never seen anyone use Malt St as a bypass.

East of Auburn, there's Page Rd, which is 276 feet long.  This one comes in handy, since I've used it to get to and from one of the houses on Turnpike Rd without backtracking.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.