Roads Underneath Airport Runways and/or Taxiways

Started by formulanone, September 17, 2019, 05:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Doubt it counts, but it's worth mentioning.

Tacoma Narrows Airport (TIW) has a tunnel beneath an extension of the land north of the runway (Stone Dr NW), but it does not cross beneath a taxiway or runway.

It opened in 2009 to protect road users from planes either landing short, or running off the runway.

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/FrGWGaW76ar8tsjK9

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on September 23, 2019, 04:54:04 AM
Doubt it counts, but it's worth mentioning.

Tacoma Narrows Airport (TIW) has a tunnel beneath an extension of the land north of the runway (Stone Dr NW), but it does not cross beneath a taxiway or runway.

It opened in 2009 to protect road users from planes either landing short, or running off the runway.

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/FrGWGaW76ar8tsjK9
To a degree, such is similar to the fore-mentioned PHL's Runway 8-26 example I posted earlier.  That said, I would say such counts.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

6a

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 18, 2019, 05:07:10 PM
Quote from: marleythedog on September 17, 2019, 05:25:06 PM
Columbus John Glenn - terminal entrance/exit goes under a taxiway

As well as Sawyer Rd (I'll go verify this, tonight)
Sawyer crosses under three times, I believe.

Evan_Th

Charlotte Douglas Airport doesn't have any road tunnels, but it has two railroad tunnels under the taxiways leading to the west runway.

kphoger

Here in Wichita, Central Avenue goes under the Beechcraft factory runway.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

This was mentioned in passing, but I will mention it again -- https://tinyurl.com/y3mt53ep

I-564, a 6-lane Interstate highway, under a Naval Station Norfolk Chambers Field runway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ErmineNotyours

Going international again, in Gibraltar there's a surface crossing of a road over an airport runway, with gates blocking passage when planes are landing.  Set to be bypassed in the future.

ozarkman417

There are several taxiway crossings over the Zentralallee at the Flughafen München (Munich Airport)

formulanone

(Whew, all caught up.) See tables in first post.

thenetwork

Here's one from the "former" category:

DEN (Old Stapleton Airport) -- at least one runway/taxiway used to cross over I-70 just east of I-270.

froggie

Quote from: Beltway on September 23, 2019, 11:45:29 PM
This was mentioned in passing, but I will mention it again -- https://tinyurl.com/y3mt53ep

Wasn't mentioned more because it was already on the OP's list from the get-go.

QuoteI-564, a 6-lane Interstate highway, under the a Naval Station Norfolk Chambers Field runway.

FTFY.  There's only one runway at Chambers.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2019, 10:32:25 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 23, 2019, 11:45:29 PM
Wasn't mentioned more because it was already on the OP's list from the get-go.
Given the length of that list I felt it was "in passing", and I wanted to highlight it and post an aerial view.

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2019, 10:32:25 PM
QuoteI-564, a 6-lane Interstate highway, under the a Naval Station Norfolk Chambers Field runway.
FTFY.  There's only one runway at Chambers.
I could see that before I posted the link. 

Writing "under a runway" doesn't mean that there need to be more than one.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Richard3

Not sure it counts, but...

https://goo.gl/maps/dgW2YbCvU2UtbQ289

YUL - Pierre-Elloitt-Trudeau International Airport, Montreal, QC, Canada - Autoroute 13 - Autoroute 13 goes in a tunnel just at the end of 06R-24L runway.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

kphoger

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 26, 2019, 07:25:41 PM
Going international again, in Gibraltar there's a surface crossing of a road over an airport runway, with gates blocking passage when planes are landing.  Set to be bypassed in the future.

Waiting in traffic for the airplane to clear the intersection
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Bruce on September 23, 2019, 03:10:44 AM
SR 526 dips under a taxiway at the Boeing assembly plant in Everett, WA, which is attached to Paine Field (PAE). Basically every Boeing widebody ever made has crossed over the freeway, which was built for the original 747 portion of the factory.

I took the Boeing plant tour, and one of the platitudes they gave to the the tour was that this bridge is the only privately-owned vehicle bridge over a Washington State Highway.  I have to dispute that if railroad bridges count, and if the bridge near the Enumclaw Weyerhaeuser mill between it and the scales counts.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 27, 2019, 05:48:49 PM
SR 526 dips under a taxiway at the Boeing assembly plant in Everett, WA, which is attached to Paine Field (PAE). Basically every Boeing widebody ever made has crossed over the freeway, which was built for the original 747 portion of the factory.

I took the Boeing plant tour, and one of the platitudes they gave to the the tour was that this bridge is the only privately-owned vehicle bridge over a Washington State Highway.  I have to dispute that if railroad bridges count, and if the bridge near the Enumclaw Weyerhaeuser mill between it and the scales counts.

Where was this mill, and where was/is the bridge? I'm doing some digging on that old mill in Enumclaw, but I'm not seeing many results (besides that it closed in 2003, and that websites weren't as comprehensive back then).

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 27, 2019, 07:26:53 PM

Where was this mill, and where was/is the bridge? I'm doing some digging on that old mill in Enumclaw, but I'm not seeing many results (besides that it closed in 2003, and that websites weren't as comprehensive back then).

Google Street View.

Since the mill is closed, it's possible the bridge is now owned by the state, and the tour operator could get by on a technicality.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 28, 2019, 11:33:59 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 27, 2019, 07:26:53 PM

Google Street View.

Since the mill is closed, it's possible the bridge is now owned by the state, and the tour operator could get by on a technicality.

Cheers. I totally forgot about that overpass, despite having driven 410 for...I dunno, my whole life. I had wondered what it was for.

Last time I drove through the area (February), there was a WSP officer sitting just on the other side of that bridge doing something. Not radar apparently, as I passed him going well over the limit! Now I have two reasons to remember that bridge.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

mgk920

In Germany, the A3 autobahn passes under two taxiways at Flughafen Frankfurt am Main (FRA).
Also, the B433 passes under a main runway and taxiway at Flughafen Hamburg (HAM) and the A111 autobahn passes under the thresholds of the two main runways at Flughafen Berlin-Tegel (TXL).

There are likely others.

Mike

djlynch

In the UK, the A79 used to cross the runway at Prestwick Airport on the level, but was rerouted around it a few decades ago. You can still faintly see the route on aerial images.

roadfro

LAS McCarran International Airport (Las Vegas) Paradise Drive Under runway 7R-25L

Minor nitpicks:

It's Paradise *Road*, not drive. (It's commonly known as the "airport connector" or "airport tunnel" in this area.)

Also, it goes under both of the airport's east/west runways. (Formerly designated 7R-25L and 7L-25R, but both designations were changed to "8-26" in 2017, due to shifting of the Earth's magnetic poles. Google Maps' satellite imagery doesn't seem reflect this as of this post, but Apple Maps imagery surprisingly did.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.