Interactive map showing all US route endpoints

Started by usends, September 23, 2019, 11:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Current and historic, over 1300 locations in all  :nod:  Check it out and see if there are/were any terminus points near you.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Max Rockatansky

That's pretty cool having that all on one map.  I'll have to check my photos to see if I have anything you're missing.

Great Lakes Roads

Well, I can tell you that U.S. 35's northern terminus in Michigan City has since changed again. It now ends at the intersection with U.S. 20 near I-94. That change happened a year ago.

froggie

Having dug through my collection of Vermont state and town-level maps and pubs going back to the '30s, I have not found anything to suggest that US 302 extended west of its current endpoint into downtown Montpelier.  Given the track record of USGS topo maps regarding routes (after all, their primary purpose was showing elevation/physical features, not highway routes), and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm convinced that downtown Montpelier endpoint is in error.

usends

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 24, 2019, 02:24:46 AM
Well, I can tell you that U.S. 35's northern terminus in Michigan City has since changed again. It now ends at the intersection with U.S. 20. That change happened a year ago.
Which junction with US 20?  There are two.  In 2008 INDoT obtained AASHTO approval to truncate US 35 to the east jct. with US 20, but they removed signs between the historic terminus only as far as the west junction.  Last year they informed me that, when they next replaced signage along that stretch, they would remove the US 20-35 overlap.  So has that been done now?

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on September 24, 2019, 08:24:49 AM
Having dug through my collection of Vermont state and town-level maps and pubs going back to the '30s, I have not found anything to suggest that US 302 extended west of its current endpoint into downtown Montpelier.  Given the track record of USGS topo maps regarding routes (after all, their primary purpose was showing elevation/physical features, not highway routes), and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm convinced that downtown Montpelier endpoint is in error.

1948-49 Official Map inset appears to show US 302 at least making it to the VT 12 jct just across the river from downtown -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-1949-OFFICIAL-HIGHWAY-MAP-OF-VERMONT-THE-GREEN-MOUNTAIN-STATE/362730020706?hash=item547464df62:g:UlUAAOSw~fhdWYmz:sc:USPSFirstClass!22401!US!-1

This photo may suggest a US 302 posting at the VT 12 jct, though when zoomed in the number looks more like a 32 than a 302...
https://media1.fdncms.com/sevendaysvt/imager/u/original/3999611/wtf1-2-b936fc0190ea39c9.jpg

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: usends on September 24, 2019, 08:25:29 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 24, 2019, 02:24:46 AM
Well, I can tell you that U.S. 35's northern terminus in Michigan City has since changed again. It now ends at the intersection with U.S. 20. That change happened a year ago.
Which junction with US 20?  There are two.  In 2008 INDoT obtained AASHTO approval to truncate US 35 to the east jct. with US 20, but they removed signs between the historic terminus only as far as the west junction.  Last year they informed me that, when they next replaced signage along that stretch, they would remove the US 20-35 overlap.  So has that been done now?

Yup, that was done as part of a repaving project on US 20. Now, US 35 officially ends at US 20 near I-94. INDOT haven't changed the signs on I-94 reflecting that US 35 doesn't run with US 20 for a couple of miles.

usends

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 26, 2019, 02:04:15 PM
Yup, that was done as part of a repaving project on US 20. Now, US 35 officially ends at US 20 near I-94. INDOT haven't changed the signs on I-94 reflecting that US 35 doesn't run with US 20 for a couple of miles.
AASHTO approved that in 2008, but at the time the changes INDOT made to the signs didn't reflect the official terminus.
Has this sign bridge on wb US 20 been changed now?  https://goo.gl/maps/7PdAhvwbwgDNJ26V8
Or what about this US 35 sign at the jct. with US 20?  Google took this photo in Sep. 2018: https://goo.gl/maps/unkEJ75A8iHvKtWZ6
Or this?  (also Sep. 2018) https://goo.gl/maps/745yzhp5mzah44e26

froggie

Quote from: Mapmikey1948-49 Official Map inset appears to show US 302 at least making it to the VT 12 jct just across the river from downtown

Yet was the only one within that early period to suggest such.  Coincidentally is the last state map to have city insets until the 1967 edition.

A few other items against it, despite the 48-49 map:  the 1947 county map lacks the concurrency, as do VTrans Montpelier city-level maps from the mid-50s.

Even if we were to discount all that because of the photo, Dale still has the wrong intersection.  The intersection in the photo is today's US 2/VT 12 intersection, looking north.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Speaking of corrections (though not concerning endpoints), going by Ohio's DOT roadmaps, Michigan didn't change US 223's routing, away from Ottawa Lake, to what we currently have, till 1978. Not 1983 as you wrote on your page for US 223.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: usends on September 26, 2019, 03:14:45 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 26, 2019, 02:04:15 PM
AASHTO approved that in 2008, but at the time the changes INDOT made to the signs didn't reflect the official terminus.
Has this sign bridge on wb US 20 been changed now?  https://goo.gl/maps/7PdAhvwbwgDNJ26V8
Or what about this US 35 sign at the jct. with US 20?  Google took this photo in Sep. 2018: https://goo.gl/maps/unkEJ75A8iHvKtWZ6
Or this?  (also Sep. 2018) https://goo.gl/maps/745yzhp5mzah44e26

Finally got a picture of the end sign on US 35 (taken yesterday).
https://flic.kr/p/2hnWGue

cjk374

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=18VWORYxmW6j5fnD7BkUx6QFTXzmlg-mL&ll=32.503582304688564%2C-93.73182209763354&z=13

I just wonder how in the world LaDOTD didn't have US 171 not take over LA 3094 so that it could junction with its parent route US 71? Such a missed opportunity.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

usends

Quote from: cjk374 on October 19, 2019, 10:04:13 PM
I just wonder how in the world LaDOTD didn't have US 171 not take over LA 3094 so that it could junction with its parent route US 71? Such a missed opportunity.
I was looking through old AASHTO meeting minutes, and noticed that back in 1978 LADoTD did request the US 171 designation to be extended along LA 3094.  The route numbering committee rejected the proposal, but unfortunately their reasons were not included in the documentation (they almost never were).

Speaking of US 171: someone recently called my attention to a historic photo that proves US 171 originally overlapped with US 79-80 to terminate in downtown Shreveport.

Paulinator66

The USEnds website has US-54 ending a few miles west of Pittsfield, IL but this is not entirely accurate.  It continues into Pittsfield and then northward up to I-72/US-36.  Then it continues 70 miles (albeit unsigned) on I-72 until the East side of Springfield where it diverges at the Sangamon Ave exit (I-55 exit #100) and continues northeastward up to I-57 at Onarga, IL where it finally terminates.

usends

Quote from: Paulinator66 on January 02, 2020, 02:48:19 PM
The USEnds website has US-54 ending a few miles west of Pittsfield, IL but this is not entirely accurate.  It continues into Pittsfield and then northward up to I-72/US-36.  Then it continues 70 miles (albeit unsigned) on I-72 until the East side of Springfield where it diverges at the Sangamon Ave exit (I-55 exit #100) and continues northeastward up to I-57 at Onarga, IL where it finally terminates.
The junction west of Pittsfield is a historic terminus.  The current terminus is northeast of Pittsfield, at its junction with I-72.  Historically US 54 did continue through Springfield and Onarga (as you describe), and actually all the way up to Chicago, but in 1972 that whole segment north and east from Pittsfield was redesignated IL-54.

Buck87

Interesting map, thanks for posting it.

Closest to me is US 250's west end, which I didn't know until looking at this originally ended in Norwalk, OH before being extended all the way into downtown Sandusky and then trimmed back to where it currently ends at US 6 in Sandusky.

csw

I think I can get you some of the photos you're looking for - based on a quick glance, I have the south end of US 218 and can easily get the missing ones in Wytheville and Roanoke, VA. I also have an updated photo for the north end of US 221 in Lynchburg - they recently reconstructed the overpass.

TheGrassGuy

So US 209 had two eastern termini in Kingston from 1938-1960.  :hmmm:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

usends

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 02, 2020, 06:53:58 PM
So US 209 had two eastern termini in Kingston from 1938-1960.
Possibly, kind of like US 126 in Eugene/Springfield OR.  I once saw a USGS map suggesting a forked terminus in Kingston, but can't find it just now.  It would have made sense, because drivers heading north on US 9W would've benefited from using a different route than those heading south on US 9W.

texaskdog

I don't see the US 65 endpoint that was in McGregor or Swan River, from the map I sent the picture of years ago.

usends

Quote from: texaskdog on January 02, 2020, 08:59:28 PM
I don't see the US 65 endpoint that was in McGregor or Swan River, from the map I sent the picture of years ago.
The 1934 MN official had like four "rogue" US routes on it, US 65 to McGregor being one of them.  They were all gone on the next year's edition, which I interpret to mean: AASHO told MNDoT, "You can't just make up your own US routes".

texaskdog

Quote from: usends on January 02, 2020, 09:30:11 PM
The 1934 MN official had like four "rogue" US routes on it, US 65 to McGregor being one of them.  They were all gone on the next year's edition, which I interpret to mean: AASHO told MNDoT, "You can't just make up your own US routes".

Why not? We always do.

US 89

Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 01:12:31 AM

Why not? We always do.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of putting our grand plans directly into official state publications.

texaskdog

Quote from: US 89 on January 03, 2020, 02:32:12 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 01:12:31 AM

Why not? We always do.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury of putting our grand plans directly into official state publications.

Maybe one of us has a time machine :)

TheGrassGuy

What's the most recent change on this map? US 35's "northern" terminus, or US 301's northern terminus?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.