Part of overpass on I-95 in NE Philly collapses after tanker fire

Started by Mr. Matté, June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 29, 2023, 11:46:56 AM
The PennDOT Way Blog has posted an article has of August 14th with updates on the permanent fix.

So they are doing a few things I was expecting:
   Replacing the abutment wall which the truck crashed into.
   Rebuilding the outer lanes 3 lanes wide.

I imagine they could build and open the west side's (95 SB) lanes first since that wall wasn't impacted, although the way the temporary roadway was built I can't see a time benefit of doing so since they can't really tear down the temporary roadway on one side only.

QuoteExcessive speeding contributes to work zone crashes across Pennsylvania, and motorists have been consistently traveling 10-15 MPH above the posted speed limit through this work zone. Automated Work Zone Speed Enforcement is deployed in this work zone. PennDOT reminds drivers to slow down in work zones.

This was mentioned in the article, and they use a little 'slight of hand' wording.  To a quick reader, people are going too fast thru the work zone and causing crashes.  But the sentence doesn't say that - it just says (Point 1) crashes occur across Pennsylvania and (Point 2) motorists are speeding thru this work zone. No reference as to how many crashes have occurred...if any.  In actuality, I don't think they would be concerned if traffic was moving at 55 or 60 thru here (10-15 above the limit).  I would believe traffic is moving *much* faster - 70 and 75 mph in the 45 mph work zone, and that's the real reason to try to get people to slow down...by encouraging them to drive slower and safely giving them a ticket 3 weeks after they travelled thru here.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KTvAQh6Dee5cQiYz8
They had the closures mentioned on a VMS on the PA Turnpike as far west as Carlisle. The GSV car captured it going through at the time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.