Arizona Technicolor Shields for Wiki Uses

Started by 707, March 25, 2015, 12:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I spent the better half of Monday completing SVG files based on the 1961 California U.S. Highway shield and photographs of the technicolor signs Arizona used in the 1950s.

And here's a 3DX version created using the only Highway Gothic font that would fit the parameters. I can't confirm the accuracy of it as I could not find any photos of a technicolor sign being used on a 3DX such as US 260 or US 666.

For those who haven't seen these before and aren't familiar with the signs, each color is direction specific.
Orange = North
Green = South
Blue = West
Brown = East

The colors of the shields are the MUTCD approved ones as that is what they appeared to be when looking at the few extant photographs of these signs. I found out sadly enough that ADOT tends to destroy unneeded highway shields once they are taken down, meaning these technicolor signs would likely be a rarity today.

mwb1848

What's old is new again – sort of. Check out these green shields which just went up on a newly completed 4-lane section of US 93 between Wickenburg and Wikieup. There are only a handful of them; the segment wasn't very long.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.