Why can't people get this intersection right?

Started by Crash_It, November 14, 2020, 05:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 11:50:52 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2020, 11:30:54 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 21, 2020, 10:13:27 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 09:58:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 21, 2020, 07:36:23 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 12:45:16 PM
honk honk hooooonnnnnk honk honk honk
You're a perfect driver in everyway!
honk honk honk honk hoooonnnnk hoooonnnk honk
Compared to you, we're all idiots.
honk honk honk honk hoooonnnnk
How did we every survive until your impressive videos appear?
bonk crash shunt

I've translated his posts so maybe we can get a better idea of who we're dealing with.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on November 24, 2020, 10:23:05 AM
My time driving in Mexico over the years (a rough estimate being 8000 total miles and counting) has helped me get my eyes off the minutiae of the law and see traffic as a more fluid thing.  The first thing it helped me stop worrying about is paint on the pavement.  Traffic is so much more than just little lines painted on the ground.

I remember hearing one thing about paint...and I forget if someone from a transportation department or a cop said it:

It's going to get run over. 

In this particular case where I was talking to someone, it was in an area where the shoulder widened out and eventually formed a lane, but it wasn't a lane yet.  They tried painting a thicker line or something like that.  But ultimately, motorists are just going to run over the paint.  Same thing happens all...the...time with those extended single lines.  Yeah, they're meant to encourage people to stay in the lane and speed up.  But cars move across them often. 

Now, someone could say "Well, they could pull the driver over and ticket them".  But in the overall scheme of things, as what jackroot was alluding to, when cops have to watch out for speeders, cell phone users, turn signals, under the influence, etc, etc, they need to pick and choose what they want to worry about.  A car failing to completely stop while turning on red is absolutely running a red light.  But...hey, the effort was made, and if no one else was coming, more often than not it's going to be ignored.  Some people may get stopped for that, but the overwhelming majority won't.

If you want motorists to stay in their lane, you gotta build curbs.  Curbs cost a lot of money.  Paint is cheap.

kkt

Yep.  If you really weren't supposed to drive over the paint, it would have been a curb or a New Jersey barrier instead.

fwydriver405

Quote from: kkt on November 24, 2020, 07:40:40 PM
Yep.  If you really weren't supposed to drive over the paint, it would have been a curb or a New Jersey barrier instead.

Plastic delineators as well? I've seen some of those been badly run over and mangled in some places...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crash_It on November 15, 2020, 10:54:03 AM
Quote from: fillup420 on November 15, 2020, 07:30:08 AM
am i the only one here who just wants to know what happened in court...?

It got a continuance. The matter will be resolved permanently this coming Friday or even tomorrow if I catch the zoom meeting.

So what was the outcome?

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on November 24, 2020, 12:30:03 PM
The point I'm trying to make in my videos is that those maneuvers are bad driving in the moment I'ts very possible that during the rest of their drive, they drove good. But , in that point in time they made a bad judgement call and that resulted in a bad driving maneuver in that moment. That's why I renamed my series to Bad Driving from Bad Drivers. Good driving would be simply not doing any of those moves that I show in my videos in that specific snapshot to the point where it would disrupt my momentum or of other traffic (eg, having to slow down or brake to accomodate their lane change) .

And the point I was making is that most of those maneuvers weren't even bad driving in the moment.  jakeroot very eloquently captured what I was trying to get across, so I'll quote snippets of his below for emphasis:

Quote from: jakeroot on November 24, 2020, 02:40:07 PM
There are many reasons where doing something perceived as "bad" is actually necessary and respected by others.
Note the "respected by others" part.  Don't you ever wonder why everyone else isn't as ticked off as you are?  And what is acceptable or unacceptable is only defined by the common consensus of the driving culture around you.  If other drivers are accepting of what's being done, then it is by definition "acceptable" behavior.

The driving culture is such that, in the US, risky things that may involve breaking the law are considered acceptable by most drivers because, well, it's just the way things are.
I'd even suggest that he didn't go far enough with that statement, because he included the qualifying phrase "in the US".  The fact is that risky and/or illegal things are acceptable everywhere in the world, by both civilians and police alike.  What those things are vary from place to place, and civilians may be willing to accept different things than the police are.  But that's just the way things are because the law is by nature iimperfect.

You don't have to like the things in your videos, but you have to understand that they are fairly common things that most people don't care about;
This was the highlight of his post.  You need to find the line between (1) being annoyed that someone did something in a way that irritates you and (2) flying off the handle, blaring your horn, smearing the driver on the internet, etc.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Maybe I should honk my horn for 5 seconds at every driver I see going a few mph over the speed limit. They are breaking the law, after all.

Crash_It

Crash_It

Plutonic Panda

Please post the video when someone decides to get out of their car and beat the fuck out of you.

Crash_It

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 23, 2020, 03:45:13 PM
Please post the video when someone decides to get out of their car and beat the fuck out of you.

it is not legal to stop here, that's why they are changing the signs.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crash_It on December 23, 2020, 04:23:24 PM

First off...congrats on convincing the state to add signage. What was your actual proposed sign

And I cannot wait for your video after the signage is installed when you go ape shit crazy when someone stops in that lane again.

BTW...what was the result of your court appearance?

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2020, 04:36:09 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on December 23, 2020, 04:23:24 PM

First off...congrats on convincing the state to add signage. What was your actual proposed sign

And I cannot wait for your video after the signage is installed when you go ape shit crazy when someone stops in that lane again.

BTW...what was the result of your court appearance?

the proposed signs are in the video with one of them saying "dont stop or $1000 fine". The court case is continued out to 1/18 because of COVID.

jeffandnicole

Yeah, they weren't going to go with either of those signs. Without reviewing the law again, that would be a fine only for a habitually ticketed offender anyway. Rarely are max fines imposed.

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2020, 05:01:34 PM
Yeah, they weren't going to go with either of those signs. Without reviewing the law again, that would be a fine only for a habitually ticketed offender anyway. Rarely are max fines imposed.

I know that they wouldn't but those would be the most effective.

paulthemapguy

Other intersections in Illinois with a permanent green right arrow include IL-394 at Exchange St. (WB approach), and US30's western intersection with US34 (WB approach).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

jakeroot

Quote from: Crash_It on December 23, 2020, 05:07:12 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2020, 05:01:34 PM

I know that they wouldn't but those would be the most effective.

There are a lot of signs with "max fine" warnings and I don't see them ever being any more acknowledged than a regular sign. At the end of the day, signs are meaningless if they aren't enforced, and you and I both know they wouldn't ticket a driver $1000 for stopping.

Scott5114

Hasn't it been shown by the results of the "tough on crime" fad of the 80s and 90s that enforcing harsher penalties for crimes doesn't work to reduce crime, anyway? Even if the fine was ten billion dollars it wouldn't keep people from stopping.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Crash_It

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 23, 2020, 09:31:37 PM
Hasn't it been shown by the results of the "tough on crime" fad of the 80s and 90s that enforcing harsher penalties for crimes doesn't work to reduce crime, anyway? Even if the fine was ten billion dollars it wouldn't keep people from stopping.

There are signs at some intersections in Chicago that say "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION $500 FINE" and from what I've seen, people aren't blocking the intersection where those signs are posted.

Crash_It

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 23, 2020, 08:00:48 PM
Other intersections in Illinois with a permanent green right arrow include IL-394 at Exchange St. (WB approach), and US30's western intersection with US34 (WB approach).

There's potentially one in joliet on the US66,IL53 approach but that one has a crosswalk so in that case, I imagine the arrow going red only when pedestrians cross.

https://goo.gl/maps/HaQJSaWyR1RZVLsaA

Scott5114

Quote from: Crash_It on December 23, 2020, 10:00:22 PM
Hasn't it been shown by the results of the "tough on crime" fad of the 80s and 90s that enforcing harsher penalties for crimes doesn't work to reduce crime, anyway? Even if the fine was ten billion dollars it wouldn't keep people from stopping.

There are signs at some intersections in Chicago that say "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION $500 FINE" and from what I've seen, people aren't blocking the intersection where those signs are posted.

Did they block the intersection before those signs went up? Was there ever a standard "Do Not Block Intersection" sign that didn't mention a fine? If so, did they block the intersection then?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Crash_It

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 24, 2020, 04:57:16 AM

Did they block the intersection before those signs went up? Was there ever a standard "Do Not Block Intersection" sign that didn't mention a fine? If so, did they block the intersection then?

I've seen it blocked once before the fine was put up

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crash_It on December 24, 2020, 01:40:24 PM

So without being there 24/7, you don't know how often it was blocked or still blocked?

Most standard "Don't Block The Box" signs I see don't have a fine posted, and are equally effective.

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2020, 03:32:28 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on December 24, 2020, 01:40:24 PM

So without being there 24/7, you don't know how often it was blocked or still blocked?

Most standard "Don't Block The Box" signs I see don't have a fine posted, and are equally effective.
If there's a fine posted, people are less likely to do it. It's why you don't see people illegally parking in handicapped spaces.

Brandon

Quote from: Crash_It on December 23, 2020, 10:05:17 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 23, 2020, 08:00:48 PM

There's potentially one in joliet on the US66,IL53 approach but that one has a crosswalk so in that case, I imagine the arrow going red only when pedestrians cross.

https://goo.gl/maps/HaQJSaWyR1RZVLsaA

Currently, that one uses the yellow arrow and becomes a RTOR.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.