News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Started by Flint1979, November 10, 2018, 07:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I remember making this post 5 years ago. Gordon Lightfoot passed away earlier this year and the anniversary of the Fitz's sinking is two days away. So since I remember making this post 5 years ago I won't make another one. Just every year I remember this incident.

kkt

Quote from: US 81 on November 18, 2018, 09:17:39 AM
The type of cargo hatch covers in use on the Edmund Fitzgerald had an excellent safety record. In the wrecked hull pieces, most of the hatch covers were found in the open position although those few that were closed were severely damaged. I've often wondered whether this resulted from the exceptional force of the high winds and waves (as per the NTSB report), and/or if there was a failure to fully secure the hatch covers that were felt to be so effective that there was not a need to fully secure them (USCG report).

Having grown up in Texas, I'm not sure I would have heard of the Edmund Fitzgerald but for the song, which I think eventually led me to an interest in this and other maritime disasters.

I read the investigation reports.  There was one by the Coast Guard, and another by the National Transportation Safety Board.  The hatch covers were interesting.  The hatches are big and the covers very heavy.  In good weather they would stay in place fine just with their own weight.  But there were fastenings that should be applied if the weather was questionable.  They found the deck around the hatches in one piece, and the hatch fastenings unbroken, and hatch covers (also unbroken) some distance away from the ship.  Most likely conclusion, they didn't fasten the hatch covers down.  Maybe they thought the weather wouldn't be all that bad, until it was, and by then it was too dangerous to send crew out onto the deck.

DandyDan

Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2018, 11:46:13 AM
Kids in the Twin Ports (Duluth/Superior) learn about the Fitz.  Ship left from there.

I learned about it in MA just because my father liked the song.
There's an exhibit about it at Split Rock Lighthouse, FWIW.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Rothman

Quote from: DandyDan on November 12, 2023, 05:48:36 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2018, 11:46:13 AM
Kids in the Twin Ports (Duluth/Superior) learn about the Fitz.  Ship left from there.

I learned about it in MA just because my father liked the song.
There's an exhibit about it at Split Rock Lighthouse, FWIW.
There's exhibits about it all over the Northland. :D

See also the Army Corps' visitor center in Duluth. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Stephane Dumas

There's a band named the Headstones who did this cover of Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8LBkYjniTU

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.