News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bad milk in the 1980s/1990s/2000s

Started by bandit957, March 02, 2022, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Did anyone else used to get bad milk all the time? It seems like this started to become a problem around 1981 and got progressively worse until about 2009 when it finally stopped. It never seemed to be a problem in the 1970s, or in the 2010s or 2020s (so far).

Maybe it's just a regional Cincinnati thing, but I remember a lot of times you'd buy milk that was well within the expiration date, and it would taste bad. I call it spoiled, but nobody else dared call it that. They just called it bad, not spoiled. Some folks insisted you could still drink it, even though it tasted horrible.

The problem kept getting worse and worse over the years. Eventually, when you buyed milk, the chances were greater than 50/50 that it would be bad.

One time in the early '90s, we inexplicably purchased a carton of milk at the store where someone had written "Bad, stale" on the carton. I have no idea why we buyed it.

We kept having to take milk back to the store all the time, but the problem persisted for years.

Anyone else experience this?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

webny99

Not that I can recall, at least for the years that I was around, but...

Find > Buyed
Replace with > Bought

:sombrero:

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on March 02, 2022, 10:04:04 AM
Not that I can recall, at least for the years that I was around, but...

Find > Buyed
Replace with > Bought

:sombrero:

What sort of Allowed Cloud is this?

Clearly you're not familiar with Brownian English.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

I feel like we had this thread, with exactly the same title, 3 years ago (but with the coronavirus it feels like it was last year).

Fun fact: "Bad milk" is the literal translation of the Spanish colloquialism Mala leche, which means "bad intentions when doing something harmful to someone" (according to Wiktionary).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 02, 2022, 02:20:39 PM
I feel like we had this thread, with exactly the same title, 3 years ago (but with the coronavirus it feels like it was last year).

Fun fact: "Bad milk" is the literal translation of the Spanish colloquialism Mala leche, which means "bad intentions when doing something harmful to someone" (according to Wiktionary).

And Rothman had the same response in both.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 02:27:00 PM

And Rothman had the same response in both.
Makes sense.  My answer is still the same three years later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Bandit said "buyed" in that one, too...

Dirt Roads

Not surprisingly, both of these threads were posted by Bandit957 in early March. 

I searched through the other thread to see if anyone posted the correct answer to why milk sometimes tastes bad or different.  No takers there.  Anyhow, before the days of homogenized milk it was quite common to get batches that were flavored with the "weed of the week".  Chickweed, wild onion and clover are the most common offenders this time of season, with dandelions being a common taste in the summertime.  Supposedly, today's sophisticated feeding processes and homogenization will keep out most of those flavors, but some folks (like me) can still taste them in trace amounts (and sometimes detect the offending weed).  There are other things that affect the taste of milk, such when the cows were fed prior to milking and what level of spoilage is in the silage being fed, but I seriously doubt those issues make it into commercial milk production.

Quite frankly, I am fascinated with the taste of bitter vegetables and herbs, so I don't mind it when the milk tastes a bit sour.  My wife needs to be careful around milk products, so I will often follow her lead as to whether it needs to be tossed.

Oops.  Something ate my bad milk quote.  Anyhow, it would not surprise me if Bandit957 has very sensitive tastebuds like I do.  My son's got a bad dose of them also.

webny99

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 02, 2022, 06:15:56 PM

Anyhow, it would not surprise me if Bandit957

An all-time cliffhanger!

snowc

@Scott5114 @Alps needs to possibly merge these threads. They are not needed for a dupe.
Fun fact: I was gonna make a 2022 Supply Chain Disruptions thread, and that didnt work!  :popcorn: :colorful:

bandit957

I actually don't even remember the 2019 thread. I guess that's because I'm just so cool.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.