News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Aldi to buy Winn-Dixie and Harveys

Started by elsmere241, August 16, 2023, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

Big John

How would a conversion occur, as Aldi stores are a lot smaller?

Ted$8roadFan

I used to live in a place where there were five Winn-Dixies (only one remains). I could see Aldis moving into the former Winn-Dixie locations while keeping the current store open.

Stephane Dumas

For a moment I thought it was the Canadian fast-food restaurant chain but I saw it was spelled differently, Harveys instead of Harvey's. ^_^;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3rSBBASVFU

Takumi

Good luck to anyone who works there after the buyout.

-former Aldi employee. Worst career mistake I ever made.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

7/8

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 16, 2023, 09:13:42 PM
For a moment I thought it was the Canadian fast-food restaurant chain but I saw it was spelled differently, Harveys instead of Harvey's. ^_^;

Same! Never heard of Harveys grocery store.

So does this mean the cashiers can finally sit down? (This is the only thing I've heard about Aldi)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 7/8 on August 18, 2023, 07:32:24 AM

So does this mean the cashiers can finally sit down? (This is the only thing I've heard about Aldi)

Yes. And customers might need to a save quarters to use a shopping cart and bring their own bags.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 18, 2023, 08:58:55 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 18, 2023, 07:32:24 AM

Yes. And customers might need to a save quarters to use a shopping cart and bring their own bags.

Aldi, the no service grocery store!
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Jim

You have to bring your own (or purchase) bags in every grocery store in NY.

I do about half of my shopping at Aldi.  I can get WalMart level prices without having to wreck my day by going into a WalMart.  And I'm in and out in minutes, park close, employees are far friendlier, etc.  The traditional grocery stores we have locally can't or don't try to compete with Aldi or WalMart on price.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

HighwayStar

Quote from: Jim on August 18, 2023, 12:00:27 PM

I do about half of my shopping at Aldi.  I can get WalMart level prices without having to wreck my day by going into a WalMart.  And I'm in and out in minutes, park close, employees are far friendlier, etc.  The traditional grocery stores we have locally can't or don't try to compete with Aldi or WalMart on price.

Walmart Neighborhood Market slaughters Aldi. You get Walmart prices, Walmart service (which is not great, but beats the hell out of renting carts and having to bring your own bags like its Europe), and a selection that blows Aldi out of the water, but without the crowds and size of a Walmart Supercenter.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 12:10:54 PM

Walmart Neighborhood Market slaughters Aldi. You get Walmart prices, Walmart service (which is not great, but beats the hell out of renting carts and having to bring your own bags like its Europe), and a selection that blows Aldi out of the water, but without the crowds and size of a Walmart Supercenter.

But it supports Walmart.

Jim

No Walmart Neighborhood Markets I'm aware of anywhere near me.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

HighwayStar

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 18, 2023, 12:19:22 PM

But it supports Walmart.

So? Even if I accept that Walmart is somehow evil, me shopping there or not will make zero difference in results.
And beyond that, I don't think Walmart is particularly bad or good. Most of the complaints about Walmart come down to Walmart being a symptom, rather than a root cause of whatever problem someone is taking issue with.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 12:37:28 PM

But it supports Walmart.

So? Even if I accept that Walmart is somehow evil, me shopping there or not will make zero difference in results.
And beyond that, I don't think Walmart is particularly bad or good. Most of the complaints about Walmart come down to Walmart being a symptom, rather than a root cause of whatever problem someone is taking issue with.

I don't 100% disagree with you, but, as a rule, I don't like big box stores and try not to shop at them. Target is slightly better than Walmart, but not drastically.

HighwayStar

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 18, 2023, 01:15:19 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 12:37:28 PM

But it supports Walmart.

I don't 100% disagree with you, but, as a rule, I don't like big box stores and try not to shop at them. Target is slightly better than Walmart, but not drastically.

In terms of quality of goods, Target was historically better than Walmart, though these days the distinction is a bit less pronounced. Target has positioned itself as slightly up market of Walmart in the world of discounter stores and seems to cater to that market.

Personally, I find some of what Target does more offensive than Walmart, but at the end of the day I will go to either as needed.

I certainly miss the days of having more options than discount retail.

wriddle082

I have only ever seen Harveys in rural eastern and southern Georgia, in areas not likely to be on the radar of Kroger or Publix.  Their store size is probably closer to that of a typical Aldi, so I can see some of those stores converting.  As for Winn-Dixie, they might be wise in only converting the smaller locations to Aldi, and maintaining, as well as growing, the base of larger and updated Winn-Dixie stores.  Some of these stores are the only traditional grocery choice in many towns in Louisiana and Mississippi that aren't Walmart.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm still wondering how a small supermarket chain only operating in the Spanish province of Huesca is buying two American ones.

(Remember for me "Aldi" has a different meaning :bigass:)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Brandon

Ours do try to compete with Walmart and Aldi on price, but then again, they've dealt with Aldi longer than most US grocers as Aldi's US HQ is here in the Chicago area (Batavia).  Sometimes, the discounts can be better there than Aldi or Walmart, and Walmart has the added competition of Meijer (which incidentally killed the Plainfield Walmart).  They also had to fend off Cub Foods at one time, and Kroger runs a number of Food 4 Less stores locally (in addition to the more upscale Mariano's).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dirt Roads

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 11:36:14 AM

...a concept patented by Piggly Wiggly!  (Which has always provided pretty good service whenever I've been there).

Dirt Roads

I was a big fan of Aldi in the Netherlands and certain parts of England.  But alas, that is Aldi nord, the owners of Trader Joe's. 

This Aldi is currently building one across from Hampton Pointe in Hillsborough, North Carolina.  I've never seen one so close to a Walmart.  I wonder if it will make a dent in the traffic at Wally World.

Big John

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 18, 2023, 09:06:12 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on August 18, 2023, 11:36:14 AM

...a concept patented by Piggly Wiggly!  (Which has always provided pretty good service whenever I've been there).
The Piggly Wigglys around here are full service, but higher priced.

SP Cook

So this would leave Publix as the only traditional full-line, medium-service grocery store chain in the main part of Florida?

wriddle082

Quote from: SP Cook on August 19, 2023, 12:15:01 PM
So this would leave Publix as the only traditional full-line, medium-service grocery store chain in the main part of Florida?

If they completely alter Winn-Dixie into the Aldi model, yes.  The only presence that Kroger has in FL is with grocery delivery.  And Albertsons pulled out of FL at least 10 years ago.  Not sure if Ahold Delhaize ever had a presence in FL with Food Lion.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 18, 2023, 09:10:25 PM
I was a big fan of Aldi in the Netherlands and certain parts of England.  But alas, that is Aldi nord, the owners of Trader Joe's. 

This Aldi is currently building one across from Hampton Pointe in Hillsborough, North Carolina.  I've never seen one so close to a Walmart.  I wonder if it will make a dent in the traffic at Wally World.

Probably not a very big one. I find Aldi simply lacks the selection (besides other issues) to be my grocery store of choice. If I need to go to Walmart for something else anyway I skip Aldi and go to Walmart. I would think many other people run into the same issue.

Now if I only need a certain item Aldi has, or they have something I can't get at Walmart then I go when its on the way.

Winco could be a much more serious Walmart competitor but only if they dump the stupid no credit cards rule.

SP Cook

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 19, 2023, 01:15:01 PM
Not sure if Ahold Delhaize ever had a presence in FL with Food Lion.

Didn't Ahold Delhaize own Sweetbay, which is what Southeastern Grocers bought and converted into Winn-Dixie about 10 years ago?

Kroger still needs to expand, even when the Albertson's deal closes, to be nationwide and thus able to take on Wal-Mart.  Florida seems to be the place for that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.