News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Timelapse road videos

Started by InterstateGuy, September 11, 2023, 11:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InterstateGuy

Just been thinking about how much I used to watch them religiously on YT circa 2007-2008. Cant believe thats nearing almost 20 years ago! Scares the DAYLIGHTS out of me. Freewayjim and Otto Yamamoto for instance were classic timelapse YouTubers. Believe it or not to this day Im STILL trying to find one of the songs from one of Yamamoto's old videos LOL. It was the video of NY Route 59 with the Thruway going over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Lyrics were about a pizzeria waitress I think? Can't find it anywhere but its been in my head since 08 AT LEAST! How about the rest of you, what are your early YT road memories?   

adventurernumber1

Timelapse road videos on YouTube were actually essentially my earliest and first introduction to the online roadgeek community. At the time it actually hadn't hit me, of the fact that the creators of all these road videos were roadgeeks just like me, and that, along with the concept of being a roadgeek itself I wasn't fully aware of until shortly before I first joined this forum several years later in 2014. However, it was a few years prior, probably around 2009-2011 that I first came across all of those road videos, both time-lapse and regular-speed, on YouTube, and I was watching them religiously myself. It was a magical time, finding all of that for the first time and constantly watching it. I was inspired to eventually start my own YouTube channel of uploading road videos, which I did in December 2013. I have fond memories of all those many road videos I watched all the time on YouTube back in those early days when I was new to all of it. Back then, buffer was much more of  problem on YouTube, and it would happen fairly frequently much to my annoyance. But it was always worth getting through the buffer to watch those road videos, and I would often spend large portions of entire days doing just that. YouTube was a magical place then, and all those road videos I loved watching were an enormous part of that. Those memories I hold on to dearly and remember very fondly.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

mgk920

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 13, 2023, 09:03:48 AM
Timelapse road videos on YouTube were actually essentially my earliest and first introduction to the online roadgeek community. At the time it actually hadn't hit me, of the fact that the creators of all these road videos were roadgeeks just like me, and that, along with the concept of being a roadgeek itself I wasn't fully aware of until shortly before I first joined this forum several years later in 2014. However, it was a few years prior, probably around 2009-2011 that I first came across all of those road videos, both time-lapse and regular-speed, on YouTube, and I was watching them religiously myself. It was a magical time, finding all of that for the first time and constantly watching it. I was inspired to eventually start my own YouTube channel of uploading road videos, which I did in December 2013. I have fond memories of all those many road videos I watched all the time on YouTube back in those early days when I was new to all of it. Back then, buffer was much more of  problem on YouTube, and it would happen fairly frequently much to my annoyance. But it was always worth getting through the buffer to watch those road videos, and I would often spend large portions of entire days doing just that. YouTube was a magical place then, and all those road videos I loved watching were an enormous part of that. Those memories I hold on to dearly and remember very fondly.  :nod:

Unfortunately, now, the YT copyright cops are so onerous that they are risking the video clips and tunes being *forgotten* by the community and public at large (which I consider to be a real danger with how copyright law is written and administered today in the USA) :no: .

Mike

Henry

Quote from: mgk920 on September 13, 2023, 01:24:10 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 13, 2023, 09:03:48 AM

Unfortunately, now, the YT copyright cops are so onerous that they are risking the video clips and tunes being *forgotten* by the community and public at large (which I consider to be a real danger with how copyright law is written and administered today in the USA) :no: .

Mike
There's one way around it: For the silent clips (those that are muted by the copyright cops), I'd just pop in a CD on my PC and play it and the video at the same time. The real challenge is finding a song that best suits the drive, but it helps to have a vast collection so you can succeed at this task more often than not.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.