News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Music genres you consider opposites

Started by Pink Jazz, September 20, 2023, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: bm7 on November 01, 2023, 11:19:22 AM
So if you consider that to be "fake", it's been around for over 30 years now, just as long as autotune has.

Check the YouTube comments for any song between 1960 and 1990 and you'll get a lot of comments saying how much better the song of the video you're watching is compared to new music.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2023, 11:22:14 AM
So if you consider that to be "fake", it's been around for over 30 years now, just as long as autotune has.

Check the YouTube comments for any song between 1960 and 1990 and you'll get a lot of comments saying how much better the song of the video you're watching is compared to new music.

Because it is.  ;-) Doesn't have necessarily anything to do with synthetic voices or tones.

kurumi

Saying that "real music" is music that came after blues doesn't make much sense to me either. Was all music before blues fake as well? And besides that, when listening to non-electronic/"real" music, I've never noticed anything being off-beat unless the person playing the instrument messed up, which is very rare in an officially released recording.

I think we should listen to the guy whose username is a chord :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on November 01, 2023, 11:49:50 AM

Saying that "real music" is music that came after blues doesn't make much sense to me either. Was all music before blues fake as well? And besides that, when listening to non-electronic/"real" music, I've never noticed anything being off-beat unless the person playing the instrument messed up, which is very rare in an officially released recording.

Nah.  I don't trust someone who doesn't write the chord name with a capital B.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bm7

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2023, 12:03:42 PM
Quote from: kurumi on November 01, 2023, 11:49:50 AM

Nah.  I don't trust someone who doesn't write the chord name with a capital B.
Considering I know nothing about music theory, any username similarity is entirely coincidental.

Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2023, 12:05:38 PM
My 7th BM...

I'd prefer the chord reference over this, though...

thspfc

Wake up honey, new arguments between people trying to pass their subjective music preferences off as absolute facts just dropped!

This time with the bonus of the classic "that's not real music!" debate.

bugo

That's because they are narrow-minded and refuse to give any music recorded after they graduated high school. A lot of boomers never gave gen X music a chance. If you want to see vitriol, read a guitar magazine from late 1991 to 1996 or so. They HATED alternative music with a passion. Those pesky Xers like Kurt Cobain pushed them off to the side of the stage, and they weren't used to that, so they threw a hissy fit and wrote nasty letters to the editor. And a Youtube comment section is completely irrelevant.

bm7

I think part of the problem is that the people who say that "all new music is bad" don't make attempts to find new music that they do like. I don't like modern pop, or country, or rap, yet almost all the music I listen to is less than 20 years old. You just need to look places other than FM radio.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bm7 on November 01, 2023, 01:04:41 PM
I think part of the problem is that the people who say that "all new music is bad" don't make attempts to find new music that they do like. I don't like modern pop, or country, or rap, yet almost all the music I listen to is less than 20 years old. You just need to look places other than FM radio.

I can find multiple new bands I like in certain genres. I will die on a hill saying that 99% of new, remotely popular rap is terrible compared to the 90's and 00's.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 01, 2023, 01:07:13 PM
I can find multiple new bands I like in certain genres. I will die on a hill saying that 99% of new, remotely popular rap is terrible compared to the 90's and 00's.

Yeah, I can find bands I like nowadays  But most of them that I like tend to evoke a musical aesthetic from past decades, just with a fresh spin on it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Quote from: thspfc on November 01, 2023, 10:53:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 21, 2023, 11:50:08 AM
Rap/hip-hop and everything else.
I would say it's most opposite of country.
Old Town Road.

It's hard to come up with opposites in genre when it comes to music.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

LilianaUwU

Come on, don't listen to out of touch boomers in YouTube comments. They might be right, but they're also YouTube commenters.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hbelkins

Every time I have put out a call for a new band or music that's close to what I like, someone invariably suggests Greta Van Fleet.

If that's the best "next coming of Rush/Led Zeppelin/etc." you can come up with, we're doomed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Greta Van Fleet is considered a joke by most music fans and critics because they are a Led Zeppelin clone. And Led Zeppelin stole a lot of their songs from old blues songs, so they're a copy of a copy. A lot of boomers love them because they think they sound just like Zeppelin, but they're not as popular among Xers and millennials. I personally don't understand that. I don't like bands that don't have an original sound. If I tell somebody I like a certain band and they say "If you like them, you'll love this other band. They sound just like them!" then I probably won't like them. If I want to listen to Judas Priest, I'll listen to Judas Priest, and not some band who ripped off their style.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on November 02, 2023, 03:29:14 PM
Greta Van Fleet is considered a joke by most music fans and critics because they are a Led Zeppelin clone. And Led Zeppelin stole a lot of their songs from old blues songs, so they're a copy of a copy. A lot of boomers love them because they think they sound just like Zeppelin, but they're not as popular among Xers and millennials. I personally don't understand that. I don't like bands that don't have an original sound. If I tell somebody I like a certain band and they say "If you like them, you'll love this other band. They sound just like them!" then I probably won't like them. If I want to listen to Judas Priest, I'll listen to Judas Priest, and not some band who ripped off their style.

I don't regard Greta Van Fleet as a clone of Zep. Other than the singer having a high-pitched voice that could conceivably be said to sound a little like Plant's in his youth, I don't get the resemblance to Zep's music at all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2023, 03:13:11 PM
Every time I have put out a call for a new band or music that's close to what I like, someone invariably suggests Greta Van Fleet.

If that's the best "next coming of Rush/Led Zeppelin/etc." you can come up with, we're doomed.

Trying to think what I'd pick for closest to.... maybe Muse?

kurumi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 03, 2023, 02:27:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2023, 03:13:11 PM

Trying to think what I'd pick for closest to.... maybe Muse?

Approachable proggy metal, maybe a little stoner, try Elder or Moon Tooth (below)

If you're OK with harsh vocals, djent, blast beats, math rock in your metal, then there's more to choose from (Periphery, Leprous, Haken, Between the Buried and Me, etc.)

Elder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Yfbj5v9QA

Moon Tooth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNkXUcW835M

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.