News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chevron to buy Hess for $53 billion

Started by LM117, October 24, 2023, 06:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

elsmere241

But the Hess trucks will still be around, at least this year.

Rothman

Saw the headline somewhere else and thought the purchase should have gone the other way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Would have preferable to me if Chevron was the one being absorbed.  The whole "premium brand" thing they do here in California is bizarre. 

Henry

I too wish Hess had bought Chevron instead, if only because those annual Hess truck Christmas ads will be airing again in a few weeks. They need to keep the companies separate, like Exxon and Mobil are (albeit owned by the same corporation).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LilianaUwU

I thought human trafficking was illegal! I refuse to be sold... oh, Hess? Never mind, carry on then.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SP Cook

Quote from: elsmere241 on October 24, 2023, 09:50:20 AM

Hess' retail gasoline operations, the source of the trucks, were sold to Speedway, which in turn sold itself to 7-11, back in 2014.  Speedway is the source of these toys and has a long term license to make them. 

Chevron is buying the rest of Hess, which is exploration, production and refining.  Hess doesn't operate retail fuel stations in the USA anymore.

Rothman

Quote from: SP Cook on October 25, 2023, 10:28:35 AM
Quote from: elsmere241 on October 24, 2023, 09:50:20 AM

Hess' retail gasoline operations, the source of the trucks, were sold to Speedway, which in turn sold itself to 7-11, back in 2014.  Speedway is the source of these toys and has a long term license to make them. 

Chevron is buying the rest of Hess, which is exploration, production and refining.  Hess doesn't operate retail fuel stations in the USA anymore.

Ah, this is enlightening.  I was just thinking back many years ago when I think Amerada Hess had one of the ownership stakes in the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline.  How the mighty has fallen.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

The Hess trucks will remain, as stated in their original email people with accounts received when the sale was announced.

I already received my Hess trucks this year.  I order 3 the day they go on sale; 1 for my nephew, 1 for my niece (yeah, she loves them), and 1 for me. 

This year they had some up-selling options - package protection in case it gets lost or stolen, and expedited shipping if you didn't want to wait for free shipping.  I declined these options.

The purchase was made on Monday; shipped Wednesday; received Thursday, even with the free shipping. Tracking the shipping: the origin of the shipment was made within my county, went pretty much directly past my house to UPS's main terminal in the area, then delivered the next day.

vdeane

Anyone else thing it's weird that Hess trucks are still a thing despite the Hess gas stations having been gone for years now?  And now to have them with even Hess itself being gone... IMO they seem kinda pointless now, just an orphaned relic reminding us of what was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
Anyone else thing it's weird that Hess trucks are still a thing despite the Hess gas stations having been gone for years now?  And now to have them with even Hess itself being gone... IMO they seem kinda pointless now, just an orphaned relic reminding us of what was.
We certainly have purchased our share of them over the years for our son.  Where there's money to be made...

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

All Chevron and Hess stations in my area disappeared long ago...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.