News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Place names that should be spelt differently according to pronounciation

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, November 02, 2023, 06:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 03, 2023, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on November 03, 2023, 12:58:42 AM
Also in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton, rather than the way the city in Texas is pronounced.

That's the right pronunciation for the spelling though. The Texas one is the outlier here.
See also Houston Street in NYC...

*laments Katz's Deli descent into becoming a huge tourist trap*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vegas1962

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2023, 07:40:11 AM
In terms of the OP's query, Buena Vista, Virginia, is another example where the first word is not pronounced as in Spanish. Rio Road in Charlottesville is not pronounced like the city in Brazil; rather, it's pronounced with a long "i," like referring to rye bread with an "o" on the end.

The same thing applies to the northern Michigan town of Mio. Looks like it should be pronounced as "mee-oh" but it's actually pronounced "my-oh."

And I second all the mispronounced names of French origin in and around Detroit alone, not to mention elsewhere in Michigan.

1995hoo

Also in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton, rather than the way the city in Texas is pronounced.

That's the right pronunciation for the spelling though. The Texas one is the outlier here.

Then you have General Zod, who as I recall pronounced it "Hoo-stun" in Superman II.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on November 03, 2023, 01:53:04 PM

That's because it's named after someone who pronounced his name as such. Houston, TX is pronounced Hew Stun because Sam Houston, whom the Texas city is named, pronounced his name differently than the man whom NYC honored pronounced his.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Houstoun_(lawyer)

Here is a link to the lawyer that Houston Street is named for.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2023, 11:56:25 AM
Quote from: jlam on November 02, 2023, 11:49:03 AM
Louisville — Pronounced looissvill (not Kentucky's pronunciation)
So how should it be pronounced, then?  If anything, Kentucky's should change.

Kentucky's pronunciation is fine.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

golden eagle

Quote from: vegas1962 on November 03, 2023, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2023, 07:40:11 AM
In terms of the OP's query, Buena Vista, Virginia, is another example where the first word is not pronounced as in Spanish. Rio Road in Charlottesville is not pronounced like the city in Brazil; rather, it's pronounced with a long "i," like referring to rye bread with an "o" on the end.

The same thing applies to the northern Michigan town of Mio. Looks like it should be pronounced as "mee-oh" but it's actually pronounced "my-oh.
[/quote

Just like Clio, north of Flint.

GaryV

Quote from: epzik8 on November 03, 2023, 04:00:26 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2023, 11:56:25 AM
Quote from: jlam on November 02, 2023, 11:49:03 AM
Louisville — Pronounced looissvill (not Kentucky's pronunciation)
So how should it be pronounced, then?  If anything, Kentucky's should change.

Kentucky's pronunciation is fine.

Luv-vl

Dirt Roads

In West Virginia, it is spelt "Hugheston".  And yes, in West Virginia it is acceptable to use the Queen's English "spelt" as part of the Appalachian dialect.  Other than folks in the Down East part of North Carolina, you'all hafta use "spelled" to be correct.

formulanone

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 03, 2023, 01:42:35 PM
Those are all mild. Buena Vista is just atrocious.

That's the one which makes me want to charge someone back for taking three years of Spanish in high school.

(Just the same, I could have spent the time butchering French or German.)

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 03, 2023, 03:08:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 03, 2023, 01:53:04 PM

That's because it's named after someone who pronounced his name as such. Houston, TX is pronounced Hew Stun because Sam Houston, whom the Texas city is named, pronounced his name differently than the man whom NYC honored pronounced his.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Houstoun_(lawyer)

Here is a link to the lawyer that Houston Street is named for.
Baloney.  TX just can't admit that they're wrong.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 02, 2023, 08:00:28 AM
Don't get me started on the botched pronunciations of French names in the US.

If I were starting a new city in Texas, I'd spell it "Longueuil", and tell everyone it's pronounced exactly how it's spelled  :popcorn:
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kurumi on November 03, 2023, 08:17:20 PM

If I were starting a new city in Texas, I'd spell it "Longueuil", and tell everyone it's pronounced exactly how it's spelled  :popcorn:
I believe you'd be tried for crimes against humanity if you did so.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

formulanone

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 03, 2023, 08:19:19 PM

I believe you'd be tried for crimes against humanity if you did so.

Gonna take a crack at it: "long wheel"?

The Nature Boy

I predict: Lon-gull

GaryV

Big John

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2023, 03:30:00 PM
Here are some actual ideas:

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

I am on board with these. Tucson took me years to get right. It's too close to Tuscan (as in Tuscan Garden), and for whatever reason it's almost impossible to differentiate between 'cs' and the more common 'sc' at a quick glance. The latter is also a much more natural pronunciation that blends and rolls off the tongue much easier. Adding a 'k' to make that '-ck' sound stand out would be great.

bwana39

BOGATA (Texas) should be spelled BAGOTA.

B, Short A, G, Long O, T, short a.

Few people read it like aloud like Bogotá is said. They tend to read it as Bo gat a  with both of the a's short.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Quote from: bwana39 on November 04, 2023, 12:37:03 PM
BOGATA (Texas) should be spelled BAGOTA.

B, Short A, G, Long O, T, short a.

Few people read it like aloud like Bogotá is said. They tend to read it as Bo gat a  with both of the a's short.

Interesting.  Apparently, historians aren't sure if the wrong vowel is due to a misspelling on or a misreading of the original submission.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: formulanone on November 03, 2023, 06:14:45 PM
That's the one which makes me want to charge someone back for taking three years of Spanish in high school.

In Virginia it is worse.  Locals pronounce Buena Vista as "bew-nuh" and they also pronounce Natural Bridge as "natt-chew-lehr".  We also say something similar to that in the Appalachian dialect, but we usually say it is "natch-you-lohr".  I had a hard time making the "lehr" sound correctly, but folks in the James River Gorge still accepted me since the Chesapeake and Ohio was my "home road".

Dirt Roads

Exit 85 on the West Virginia Turnpike has a tough one for you'all:  Chelyan is pronounced "sheel-yun".

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 04, 2023, 03:34:11 PM

Quote from: formulanone on November 03, 2023, 06:14:45 PM

In Virginia it is worse.  Locals pronounce Buena Vista as "bew-nuh" and they also pronounce Natural Bridge as "natt-chew-lehr".  We also say something similar to that in the Appalachian dialect, but we usually say it is "natch-you-lohr".  I had a hard time making the "lehr" sound correctly, but folks in the James River Gorge still accepted me since the Chesapeake and Ohio was my "home road".

Assuming your "bew" = "byoo", that's how it's pronounced in Colorado too.

webny99

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 04, 2023, 09:29:59 PM
I say Bway-nah Vis-tah. Is that not right?

Depends on the town, I suppose.

Spanish pronunciation would be something like BWEH-nah BEE-stah

(Spanish e rarely sounds much like English ay, and it's always shorter.)

(Spanish v sounds exactly like Spanish b.  At the beginning of a phrase, the lips are fully closed;  between two vowels, the lips are only half closed.  There's one of each in there.)
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.