News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Japan is the only place where you can get a new 13th gen laptop with DVD writer

Started by ZLoth, December 21, 2023, 09:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From TechRadar:

It's almost 2024 and Japan is the only place in the world where you can get a brand new 13th gen laptop with a DVD writer AND a VGA connector from 1987
This brand-new Japanese laptop is perfect for time travelers
QuoteJapan has a reputation for its unique and unconventional approaches (KFC for Christmas dinner, anyone?) and is the only country where you can buy a modern business laptop with all the features you might need if you ever find yourself time-traveling to the past.

The recently unveiled NEC VersaPro Type VD <VD-K> is primarily designed for business use and features a 15.6-inch full HD screen (1920x1080). It's powered by a 13th generation Intel Core processor, compatible with Intel vPro Enterprise, and comes with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed.

The base model includes 4GB of RAM, expandable up to 32GB, and 256GB PCIe SSD storage, expandable up to 1TB. It offers Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 connectivity. It also features a built-in 720p webcam with a privacy shutter, and a choice of biometric authentication methods - a facial recognition IR camera and an integrated fingerprint scanner.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

It sounds like some major Japanese customer has a bad case of "if it ain't broke, why fix it even though it's VERY obsolete". The only situation I can see is if this customer has a fleet of old projectors with only VGA connectors that they won't replace. I know I have a Vivitek D910HD 3000 Lumen 1080p projector that I purchased refurbished in October, 2015, but even that thing has DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA connectors. I haven't really used it since I moved to Texas five years ago since the Toastmasters group I was with used the restaurant's television.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kalvado

4 GB ram is a more shocking thing.
DVDs I believe are still default for medical imaging data transfer, for example. 

ZLoth

Quote from: kalvado on December 21, 2023, 10:33:00 AM
4 GB ram is a more shocking thing.
DVDs I believe are still default for medical imaging data transfer, for example.

I'm going by NewEgg estimates for Crucial DDR4 Laptop memory prices, sooo...

• 4 GB (single stick) - $20
  • 8 GB (2⨯4GB) - $37-$49
  • 16 GB (2⨯8GB) - $44-$59
  • 32 GB (2⨯16GB) - $67-$97
Personally, 8 GB is the bare minimum, and 16GB is what I would recommend for a Windows 11 system. In my own setups, I have 32GB on a multimedia computer, and 64GB on my main system. Both are way overboard for most people, but then again, most people don't do virtualization.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.