News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Clinching Counties' Highways

Started by NWI_Irish96, June 25, 2019, 01:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

I'm not sure if I should count Hardin County, IL, unless I've taken the Cave-in-Rock ferry.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rothman

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 30, 2022, 08:00:49 PM
I'm not sure if I should count Hardin County, IL, unless I've taken the Cave-in-Rock ferry.
Well...have you?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 30, 2022, 08:00:49 PM

At TravelMapping they don't consider ferries to be highways, so by that standard you can count it. I didn't take it either, but I drove right down to it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Tangentially related... I've counted some counties as clinched (meaning just visited, not clinched all highways) despite having nothing logged in that county in Travel Mapping.

A current example is Cheshire County, NH, which I entered on NH 119 but did not come close to driving the entirety of the first segment in TM, so I couldn't justify logging it. A former example is Washington County, NY, which I first entered on foot from Lake George, but have since entered on NY 67/NY 22.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on October 01, 2022, 11:40:54 AM
Tangentially related... I've counted some counties as clinched (meaning just visited, not clinched all highways) despite having nothing logged in that county in Travel Mapping.

A current example is Cheshire County, NH, which I entered on NH 119 but did not come close to driving the entirety of the first segment in TM, so I couldn't justify logging it. A former example is Washington County, NY, which I first entered on foot from Lake George, but have since entered on NY 67/NY 22.

I always try to go into a county far enough that I can log at least one segment in TM, but if the segment is really long, I might not do that. I do have some counties I've only entered by train.

webny99

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 01, 2022, 11:45:16 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 01, 2022, 11:40:54 AM

I always try to go into a county far enough that I can log at least one segment in TM, but if the segment is really long, I might not do that. I do have some counties I've only entered by train.

The section of NH 119 in question is about 6.5 miles long. We went about a mile and turned around, mostly just to get a picture of the welcome sign and say we'd visited New Hampshire.

It has struck me as odd that I have no problem counting a county (and in this case, an entire state!) on the basis of such a short visit, but still not log anything in TM. Then again, TM is a lot more technical by nature (as if county-counting isn't technical enough!). I've considered logging any segment I've traveled any part of, which would be less egregious in spirit than counting a county for clipping a tiny corner, but the fact that TM tracks mileage has deterred me from doing so.

Molandfreak

I don't really keep track, but there's a few I could reasonably assume I've driven all of the highways in.
MN: Cook, Lake, Goodhue, Rice, Carver.
WI: Ashland, Bayfield, Menominee, maybe Pepin but I don't know about WIS 25 north of Durand.
MI: Gogebic, Keweenaw.
SD: Hyde
ON: Greater Sudbury
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NWI_Irish96

Two more in Illinois yesterday, bringing my Illinois total to 23. If things go as planned, I'll get six more by the end of the year.

clong

Quote from: clong on July 13, 2022, 02:21:04 PM
Updated
Quote from: clong on May 25, 2022, 11:14:57 AM
AL: Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Cullman, Dekalb, Etowah, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Marshall, Shelby, St. Clair, Talladega

NWI_Irish96

Got my first two new ones in a while: Winnebago and Stephenson in Illinois. Up to 25 in Illinois.

pderocco

At this point I've clinched 36 out of California's 58 counties. If you include signed county routes (the pentagonal blue and yellow signs with a letter and a number), that drops to 24 out of 58.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 07, 2023, 04:28:01 PM
Got my first two new ones in a while: Winnebago and Stephenson in Illinois. Up to 25 in Illinois.

On my way to visit new counties in Iowa, I finished off Carroll and Jo Daviess counties. Up to 27 in Illinois.

flan

Updated from last fall

Minnesota (48): Anoka, Becker, Benton, Big Stone, Brown, Carver, Cass, Chippewa, Chisago, Clay, Clearwater, Dakota, Douglas, Goodhue, Grant, Hennepin, Isanti, Kanabec, Lac Qui Parle, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Mahnomen, McLeod, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Mower, Nicollet, Otter Tail, Pine, Pope, Ramsey, Rice, Rock, Roseau, Scott, Sherburne, Sibley, Stearns, Stevens, Todd, Traverse, Wabasha, Wadena, Washington, Wilkin, Wright

North Dakota (5): Foster, McHenry, McLean, Sargent, Sheridan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.