Longest "Continuously Posted" Distance Sign

Started by michravera, April 27, 2020, 03:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Can we count New York City being posted on I-95 North outside of Baltimore?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 17, 2020, 09:21:24 PM
I know it's continuously a control city, not sure about distance signs.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

michravera

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 17, 2020, 10:07:24 PM

I suppose that you can count it, if it's true. But, at under 200 miles, it won't even get close to even Los Angeles from outside Sacramento on both CASR-99 and I-5 (and US-101) all of which show up at just under 400 miles. I don't even allege that the LA distance is even remarkable. Reno from near Salt Lake City (540-something miles) and Portland from near Sacramento (632 miles) both dwarf even the LA number. The question is one of how continuously posted the distances for Reno and Portland are. I suspect that there are longer distances even than Portland on I-5. Also, Salt Lake City is the Control City on I-15 in Las Vegas. I don't remember seeing distance signs or how far they indicated.

US 89

Quote from: michravera on May 18, 2020, 06:33:07 PM

I suppose that you can count it, if it's true. But, at under 200 miles, it won't even get close to even Los Angeles from outside Sacramento on both CASR-99 and I-5 (and US-101) all of which show up at just under 400 miles. I don't even allege that the LA distance is even remarkable. Reno from near Salt Lake City (540-something miles) and Portland from near Sacramento (632 miles) both dwarf even the LA number. The question is one of how continuously posted the distances for Reno and Portland are. I suspect that there are longer distances even than Portland on I-5. Also, Salt Lake City is the Control City on I-15 in Las Vegas. I don't remember seeing distance signs or how far they indicated.

Likewise, Las Vegas is the southbound control on I-15 in Salt Lake. I believe the longest distance to Vegas posted on a mileage sign is 402 miles on this sign in Draper.

stevashe

Does look like anyone gave a definitive answer for whether the Portland or Reno distances qualify so here's what I found:

- Starting with the sign south of Sacramento, Portland is listed on 8 out of the next 25 signs, which leaves it one sign short of qualifying according to your rules. I based this off of the AARoads pages, so hopefully those didn't miss any signs. If you took the percentage for the whole distance from Sacramento I'm sure it'd come out to over 36%, so the "continuity" of the posting may be disputed (even the 26th and 27th signs show Portland, which I'm sure would be enough to bump it over).

- With Reno, US 89 already vouched for continuity in Utah, and looking at Nevada in Streetview, it appears that Reno is listed on distance signs through Nevada on I-80 WB, with only a few exception, so I'd say we have a new winner over El Paso for the US!

Also, the OP did ask for international examples as well, so I'd offer Adelaide on National Route 1 in Australia, listed at a distance of 1986 km (1234 mi) on this sign. I can't vouch for how continuously it is posted, however.

machias

Quote from: webny99 on April 29, 2020, 09:07:20 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2020, 07:30:25 PM
For the non-troll members, here are the basic qualifications:

1.  Starting from the sign you post, at least 36% of all distance signs on that road must include the same destination city you post.  (This means it counts if only every other sign uses that city, but it doesn't count if only one out of every three does.)
2.  No entire state or other sub-national equivalent along the way can be completely devoid of such qualifying signage.
3.  Rule #2 does not apply if the route only passes through that state for less than 50 km.

NYC is posted on 100% of Thruway mileage signs starting 496 miles away. I think that makes it an automatic winner. I would say anything less than 50% or even 75%, is kind of lame. I could differ from the OP on this, but to me, "continuously posted" really does mean 100%, no exceptions.

Nope, there's a sign between Exits 57 and 56 when headed eastbound that includes only Buffalo and Niagara Falls, no mention of New York

michravera

Quote from: stevashe on August 18, 2020, 01:09:29 PM

Does look like anyone gave a definitive answer for whether the Portland or Reno distances qualify so here's what I found:

- Starting with the sign south of Sacramento, Portland is listed on 8 out of the next 25 signs, which leaves it one sign short of qualifying according to your rules. I based this off of the AARoads pages, so hopefully those didn't miss any signs. If you took the percentage for the whole distance from Sacramento I'm sure it'd come out to over 36%, so the "continuity" of the posting may be disputed (even the 26th and 27th signs show Portland, which I'm sure would be enough to bump it over).

- With Reno, US 89 already vouched for continuity in Utah, and looking at Nevada in Streetview, it appears that Reno is listed on distance signs through Nevada on I-80 WB, with only a few exception, so I'd say we have a new winner over El Paso for the US!

Also, the OP did ask for international examples as well, so I'd offer Adelaide on National Route 1 in Australia, listed at a distance of 1986 km (1234 mi) on this sign. I can't vouch for how continuously it is posted, however.

So, it looks like Portland's "continuousness" might or might not begin at the one south of Sacramento (632 mi / 1017 km or 622mi / 1002 km), but gets more definitely "continuous" by my definition a bit later. But, Reno from Salt Lake (or farther) is indisputable. I thank those who researched it. I intentionally picked 36% so that two cities could alternate and be considered "continuous". It was my intention that signs that only showed one or two cities shouldn't count. My idea was that 36% was the dividing line between "continuously posted" and "occasionally mentioned".

roadman65

In Florida Miami appears on mileage signs 340 or so miles out on I-95 but disappears after Palm Bay as FDOT D4 likes West Palm Beach over Miami. They maintain the freeway from Indian River to Miami-Dade County Line.

Naples is used on every sign for I-75 south religiously from Wesley Chapel southward.

Pensacola is used from Tallahassee west on I-10 exclusively.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking: on I-5 southbound in California, where does one start consistently seeing signs for Los Angeles? I would think they would begin just south of Sacramento, but I could be mistaken.

Ben114

Coming west on I-90 in Massachusetts, Albany is posted for quite a while. First westbound mention is at 128 miles.

Coming east, Boston is posted as far as 163 miles.

(If we counted the distance it is used as a control city, Albany is posted from 158 miles, and Boston from 171 miles.)

michravera

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 20, 2020, 01:30:09 AM
I was just thinking: on I-5 southbound in California, where does one start consistently seeing signs for Los Angeles? I would think they would begin just south of Sacramento, but I could be mistaken.

I don't REMEMBER any and certainly not consistent signs for LA on I-5 north or Sacramento. LA is consistently posted on US-101 at least south of Gilroy. North of Gilroy, distance would be misleading because you could stay on US-101 or take CASR-152 to I-5.

Osthagen

I live in the UK where signage inconsistency is a huge issue. The problem is that most routes have their signs designed by local authorities, meaning that there's no central oversight which leads to glaring inconsistencies when crossing administrative borders.

An example is the M1 heading South through Derbyshire. The mileage signs consistently sign:

"Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, Rugby", then:
"Leicester, Rugby, Northampton"

Once you cross over into Nottinghamshire, you totally lose any mention of Rugby or Northampton (despite the fact you're 40 and 60 miles from the respective turnoffs), and instead you're greeted with:

"Loughborough, Leicester, London"

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on April 27, 2020, 06:09:12 PM
Probably not the longest anywhere, but in MI I-75 is posted for nearly 200 miles with Saginaw sb and Mackinac Bridge nb.
Over 200 miles from the Mackinac Bridge, the furthest south sign has Saginaw 33, Bay City 46 and Mackinac Br 222 on it that sign is between the Corunna and Pierson Road exits in Flint. The furthest north sign for Saginaw is just south of the M-123 exit that sign has St. Ignace 8, Mackinaw City 15 and Saginaw 203 on it. I don't think it's the furthest either but it could be for Michigan.

Flint1979

When I posted in the third post of this thread just now realizing this is an old thread I was wrong about Saginaw being featured on a distance sign at 185 miles away. The correct distance and location of the sign is 203 miles and it's just south of the M-123 exit in the U.P.

kirbykart

This is similar to the Michigan example: Binghamton is continuously posted on distance signs from Jamestown (distances listed over 200 miles). https://goo.gl/maps/6vdiqDRrxjYKDVJo7 This is a sign listing 204 miles to Binghamton. There might be one further back by the Bemus Point exit.

EDIT: Yep, found one with 216 miles. https://goo.gl/maps/JXFgYjYzEpH4asZ99

But what surprised me is that it's actually posted from Findley Lake (245 miles) https://goo.gl/maps/aZVdHModsXYneyG17. PA just posts Findley Lake and Jamestown.

JayhawkCO

Was just investigating crossing from Oman to Saudi Arabia on my upcoming trip, and happened to come across this sign in a blog post. It is continuously signed every 10km as well per the blog.

Jim

Seeing activity back in this thread made me think of Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Whitehorse as possible candidates.  My travels up there were 20+ years ago and I didn't get a ton of pictures of distance signs.  There aren't that many distance signs anyway, but I bet those major destinations are on distance signs pretty consistently for hundreds of miles on the roads that serve them.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Jim on May 11, 2023, 05:31:45 PM
Seeing activity back in this thread made me think of Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Whitehorse as possible candidates.  My travels up there were 20+ years ago and I didn't get a ton of pictures of distance signs.  There aren't that many distance signs anyway, but I bet those major destinations are on distance signs pretty consistently for hundreds of miles on that roads that serve them.

I think in that neck of the woods, Inuvik is probably the highest.

tdindy88

Seeing activity back in this thread made me think of Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Whitehorse as possible candidates.  My travels up there were 20+ years ago and I didn't get a ton of pictures of distance signs.  There aren't that many distance signs anyway, but I bet those major destinations are on distance signs pretty consistently for hundreds of miles on that roads that serve them.

I was just in Alaska back in March so I saw some of the distance signs in the state. North of Anchorage, in Wasilla, there was a sign for Fairbanks with a distance of 319 miles and Fairbanks was all the bottom line on all other mileage signs from there. Just west of Fairbanks there was a sign for Anchorage with a distance of 357 miles. There's also along the Dalton Highway at its beginning where the distance to Deadhorse is 414 miles. And although I only went as far as the Arctic Circle it was still on the few mileage signs. And looking at Google Streetview, Fairbanks is listed as a southbound control city from Deadhorse at a distance of 494 miles. At the Arctic Circle Fairbanks was listed at 200 miles so I would guess it's pretty consistently signed.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 11, 2023, 05:41:52 PM

I correct myself. Fairbanks is signed consistently from Whitehorse and the first sign is 910 km. Inuvik's first sign on the Dempster is 735 km.

Jim

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 11, 2023, 06:10:33 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 11, 2023, 05:41:52 PM

I correct myself. Fairbanks is signed consistently from Whitehorse and the first sign is 910 km. Inuvik's first sign on the Dempster is 735 km.

And at least in 2001, there was this south/east of Whitehorse:

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.