News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your preferred wireless carrier.

Started by RobbieL2415, October 09, 2019, 09:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheActuary

AT&T, selected by process of elimination.  (No other carrier had coverage in my house, in the office where I worked until I started telecommuting, and at at my inlaws' place.)

I suppose I ought to revisit that, but data consumption and need for calls to and roaming in Canada probably mean that my wife and I would be limited in options.

formulanone

"Preferred wireless carrier" certainly doesn't mean "favorite", because it's like picking your favorite tow truck operator. In short, if you never need to call tech support, never have problems with billing, and you seem to have 98% up-time, then you've found the right carrier.

I've been happy with Verizon's coverage when travelling, as there's been far less signal drops than when I was with Sprint, which seemed to have limited rural coverage. Our own neighborhood has spotty coverage on any wireless network. Verizon has been reluctant to send me a signal booster in lieu of paying my bill in full and on time in the 8 years I've had service with them...but they'll sell me one for $300 with no guarantee. I figure that's a battle I don't want to waste time on, since trying to return it would be akin to talking to a wall.

The WiFi calling feature doesn't seem to do anything, though my suspicion is that having a competitor's (AT&T) internet service probably doesn't help matters. So we use Facetime Audio when we're both near wireless internet, it works fine and seems clearer to my ears. When someone says they want to live somewhere there's no cell service, I want to slap them: it's frustrating to keep up a ten minute conversation where things just randomly tail off or miss a text.

Speaking of which, I used AT&T/Cingular for about 5 years with few headaches, though that was in the 2G days, so random cuts in service (especially when driving near transmission towers) weren't unusual and accepted as the norm.

That said, I've never actually had a real billing problem 15 years with any carrier, although Sprint failed to send my wife a bill for 3 months. I was worried that they'd just cancel the service, so I called up to pay my bill. It turns out that "wanting to pay your bill" isn't something they're accustomed to hearing, or so I thought. They incorrectly lumped it into my company's plan, and wouldn't let me pay it, presumably because they didn't trust me to write out a monthly bill for the price of a nice car. So they just started the cycle anew; I presume my company failed to audit the cell phone number, I told my boss and we laughed it off.

jakeroot

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 14, 2019, 10:28:37 AM
data consumption and need for calls to and roaming in Canada probably mean that my wife and I would be limited in options.

I believe most (all?) carriers offer some sort of roaming option for Canada, and Mexico too. My T-Mobile plan has Canada and Mexico included at no extra cost. I haven't visited Mexico, but my phone jumps around in Canada between Rogers and Telus.

LM117

This site shows the coverage maps for Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jakeroot

Quote from: LM117 on October 14, 2019, 02:20:50 PM
This site shows the coverage maps for Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage

Their maps do not line up with the maps offered by the individual carriers on their websites. I'm not saying they're wrong, but they seem to be outdated, even if the article is new. The legalese indicates that data is collected from the carriers and other third party sources; not sure what they mean by "third party", and whether third-party data is the sole source for some of the maps, or if the maps are combined data, or what.

In any case, I would navigate to carrier websites to see their maps, rather than using these comparison articles. And, ultimately, look at your neighborhood first, since that's where you're using your phone most.

ozarkman417

Now that T-Mobile owns Sprint, they should put Sprint users on T-Mobile towers, if that's even possible (as Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM)

SM-G965U

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on October 14, 2019, 01:12:41 PM
data consumption and need for calls to and roaming in Canada probably mean that my wife and I would be limited in options.

I believe most (all?) carriers offer some sort of roaming option for Canada, and Mexico too. My T-Mobile plan has Canada and Mexico included at no extra cost. I haven't visited Mexico, but my phone jumps around in Canada between Rogers and Telus.

Verizon has an option for travel to Canada where you use your regular calling plan and data for $5 a day; you pay only for the days when you actually access a cellular network (so you put your phone in airplane mode when you don't want to access the network).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2019, 10:12:29 PM

Verizon has an option for travel to Canada where you use your regular calling plan and data for $5 a day; you pay only for the days when you actually access a cellular network (so you put your phone in airplane mode when you don't want to access the network).

The current policies are definitely more relaxed than they used to be.  Until recently I've hardly bothered to carry cell coverage in Canada or Mexico with Verizon. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2019, 10:47:53 PM
The current policies are definitely more relaxed than they used to be.  Until recently I've hardly bothered to carry cell coverage in Canada or Mexico with Verizon.

Neither had (have?) most Americans. On my trips to Canada, I have to regularly remind any passengers to turn their phone on airplane mode. AT&T and Sprint both now offer similar unlimited plans to T-Mobile; AT&T even allows unlimited LTE data in Canada/Mexico, something I don't have with T-Mobile (5GB cap and then slowed).

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2019, 10:12:29 PM

It boggles my mind that, despite the insane cost of virtually all of Verizon's plans, that they don't include North America as part of their normal plans. They are the only major carrier that still requires a per-day fee.

To be honest, the number of Americans that insist on Verizon, so that they can get service in some cave in Utah, still drives me crazy. I get it if they're your only option, but it doesn't seem worth it otherwise, especially when most other carriers offer nearly-identical coverage in most places.

For the record, I have service throughout the WMATA Metro system, except under the Potomac, with T-Mobile.

vdeane

I'd take T-Mobile's coverage map with a grain of salt.  My coworker has them, and her phone has spotty reception at her parents house.  She also experiences an area with no service on the Thruway.  Both areas show solid coverage on their map.

How expensive do they come out to be?  My Cricket plan is $45/month... on T-Mobile's website, it looks like I could get something similar on a prepaid plan for approximately the same price, without the need to watch usage as closely in Canada and with free tethering.  I need a new phone anyways, so such things might be worth looking in to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on October 15, 2019, 01:00:34 PM
I'd take T-Mobile's coverage map with a grain of salt.  My coworker has them, and her phone has spotty reception at her parents house.  She also experiences an area with no service on the Thruway.  Both areas show solid coverage on their map.

How expensive do they come out to be?  My Cricket plan is $45/month... on T-Mobile's website, it looks like I could get something similar on a prepaid plan for approximately the same price, without the need to watch usage as closely in Canada and with free tethering.  I need a new phone anyways, so such things might be worth looking in to.

Their maps have lined up with my experience thus far, but I'm sure all carrier maps are going to be more optimistic than reality.

I don't use the pre-paid plans myself, but I know they don't include Canada/Mexico (extra $5/month or something like that). I use the T-Mobile Magenta plan, which is their second-to-top plan; it includes basically everything minus a couple perks for in-air wifi and a couple other things. I also use their "Jump" subscription, which is like $10/month, plus the cost of the phone. I have a Samsung Note9, which is about $45/month. T-Mobile's plans are taxes/fees included, so the total charge comes to about $125/month. If you bring your own phone, it's pretty affordable.

RobbieL2415

T-Mo has historically been bad in NE, VT and ME.  In the latter two states they have a roaming agreement with US Cellular.  They are just starting to roll out LTE in Nebraska.

kphoger

Quote from: LM117 on October 14, 2019, 08:29:01 AM

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 13, 2019, 11:31:51 AM
Does anyone know if Spectrum Mobile is good?

Spectrum uses Verizon's network IIRC, so it should be.

Funny...  I work for a company that contracts for Spectrum cable, and I didn't realize Spectrum Mobile was a thing until just yesterday, when I decided to actually listen to the sales pitch that yammers at me during hold time.  Then I get on the forum today and read your question!  It has only existed for about a year, apparently, so I guess I don't feel too bad for not having heard of it before.  Yes, they use Verizon's towers for calling.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LM117

Quote from: vdeane on October 15, 2019, 01:00:34 PM
I'd take T-Mobile's coverage map with a grain of salt.

Same with Sprint, at least in eastern NC in the Goldsboro/Wilson area. The map shows good coverage there, yet in reality, it's piss poor.

My only regret about ditching Sprint is that I didn't do it sooner.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Continuing the DirecTV saga...

I guess competence is too much to ask from the people at DirecTV.

Because they failed to show up last Friday when I took off work for the scheduled appointment to upgrade my equipment so I can again get the local channels, they scheduled another appointment, which was supposed to be today. Today is Thursday, the 17th, last time I checked. They called Tuesday afternoon to remind me of my scheduled appointment on Wednesday. Oops. So I had to correct their date. They called me yesterday to remind me of my scheduled appointment today between 8 a.m. and noon. Wrong. The appointment was for between noon and 4. I had planned to go to work this morning and come home to be here when they arrive, but with them having the time wrong, figured I needed to be here all day. I had been told the technician would call a half-hour prior to arrival and would get directions if they had trouble finding my location.

Guess who never showed up today and who never called? After I took a second day off work to wait for them?

After an angry call and a demand to speak to a supervisor, they've scheduled me a third time and logged that the technician failed to show up or call. They took down a second phone number to call to get in touch with me, and scheduled this installation for the morning so if the guy can't find me again, they can call in time for him to come out that afternoon. And they noted my request for a statement credit for having to call multiple times and missing two days of work for two failure-to-show on the part of their technician.

I threatened to change television providers. I may still follow through on that, depending on how this all gets resolved.

For what I'm paying for TV service, they should crawl on their bare knees through poison ivy to make this right. Not just have someone whose first language obviously isn't English read to me from a script.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikeTheActuary

For data hygiene reasons, I don't connect to public WiFi.  My company's IT department also gotten through integration to the point where US corporate laptops can reliably connect to the Canadian corporate network.  So, this all means that when I am neither at home nor at my father's apartment, I'm on cellular data.  I generally use 5-7GB/month in Canada.

So, my concern isn't strictly with "is there Canadian roaming"; it's "will the plan include enough Canadian data?"

My AT&T "unlimited" plan (where "unlimited" = "we might throttle you after 22GB if the network is loaded') has a roaming rule of "not more than half your data use is roaming".   Verizon, at the time I was shopping, was similar rule.

It looks like T-Mobile's high-end plan is limited to 5GB of Canadian/Mexican roaming each month.  That's not going to work for me.

Sprint does appear to have "unlimited Canadian/Mexican data" in their top-end plan (and 10GB in the second tier), which wasn't the case when I last shopped.  Good to know.

There are other things I could do that would produce more options -- I could make an argument to get a corporate hotspot to use for work.  But there comes a point where simple is better, and I try to travel as light as possible.  Awhile back, I refused to carry two phones...and the principle seems the same when it comes to the possibility of a phone and a hotspot.

hbelkins

^^^

Can't you use public wi-fi to connect to a VPN?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ce929wax

I use Straight Talk.  I have the payment taken out of my credit card each month.  I get pretty good service, and got decent service in Northern Michigan when I went last July.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.