News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TX-349 and TX-158 around Midland, A.K.A. future I-27W: The Thread

Started by TheBox, November 10, 2023, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBox

Making this thread since US-87 from south of Lubbock all the way to San Angelo is actually a 4-lane divided expressway (as I said before), even if it still needs bypasses around say Sterling City and Lamesa and some minor QoL improvements.

Speaking of, future I-27(W) is proposed to start and split from Lamesa and ending and reunite at Sterling City whiling using TX-349 and TX-158 respectively as a base.

With Garden City in between Midland and Sterling City too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xxGtmvzHW5H8u9PT7?g_st=ic
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

The Ghostbuster

I still think they should have gone with the original proposed designations for the Interstate 27 extension corridor: Interstate 227 instead of Interstate 27W; Interstate 27 instead of Interstate 27E; and Interstate 327 instead of Interstate 27N. I believe the third one was for a segment of US 287 north of Dumas towards the Oklahoma/Texas border.

TheBox

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 10, 2023, 01:35:39 PM
I still think they should have gone with the original proposed designations for the Interstate 27 extension corridor: Interstate 227 instead of Interstate 27W; Interstate 27 instead of Interstate 27E; and Interstate 327 instead of Interstate 27N. I believe the third one was for a segment of US 287 north of Dumas towards the Oklahoma/Texas border.

Didn't know those are the current suggested designations
https://krtnradio.com/2023/04/04/ports-to-plains-alliance-continues-efforts-to-expand-travel-corridors/

EDIT: Were, this article was form May, and the other article is 3 months later
https://www.mrt.com/business/article/senate-passes-act-create-i-27-west-midland-18270534.php
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

ski-man

Quote from: TheBox on November 13, 2023, 04:09:14 PM

https://krtnradio.com/2023/04/04/ports-to-plains-alliance-continues-efforts-to-expand-travel-corridors/

https://www.mrt.com/business/article/senate-passes-act-create-i-27-west-midland-18270534.php

Boy I hope this is correct. I like the (E) & (W) designations on I-35 in Texas & Minnesota. But those are short distances, relatively. I do not like the (E), (C), & (W) designation on I-69.  I can just see people getting confused easier on those than if it is a 3-digit. Hope the I-227 & I-327 is the way they go.

TheBox

Quote from: ski-man on November 14, 2023, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: TheBox on November 13, 2023, 04:09:14 PM

Boy I hope this is correct. I like the (E) & (W) designations on I-35 in Texas & Minnesota. But those are short distances, relatively. I do not like the (E), (C), & (W) designation on I-69.  I can just see people getting confused easier on those than if it is a 3-digit. Hope the I-227 & I-327 is the way they go.

Sounds like they're sticking with I-27W and I-27N

I-27W I get, but I-27N easily could'v stayed I-327, since it never reunites unlike said I-27W

Bobby5280

I said it before, but the I-27N thing is really stupid. That "N" in the route name is a good way to confuse motorists driving Northbound or Southbound on the route.

TheBox

The Ghostbuster

Extending Interstate 27 southward will be a long, slow process. It could take 50 or more years to complete the extension to Laredo. It will likely also take quite a while to complete the northern extension to Raton, New Mexico.

TheBox

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 21, 2023, 03:06:06 PM
Extending Interstate 27 southward will be a long, slow process. It could take 50 or more years to complete the extension to Laredo. It will likely also take quite a while to complete the northern extension to Raton, New Mexico.

I know San Angelo all the way to Laredo alone will take forever, because of it being a 2-lane undivided highway in it's current state, with a Super 2 bypass or two around Del Rio and Eagle Pass

The most we could see in most of our lifetimes is I-27(E) between south of Lubbock and maybe San Angelo, since it is the only 4-lane divided expressway section of the proposed I-27 extension (needed Lamesa and Sterling City bypasses aside, and some work around San Angelo).
Just needs some updating tweaks, the two mentioned bypasses, several overpasses in between and it's good to go.

EDIT: And another thing. Traffic coming from/to Midland-Odessa will have to use TX-349 as is or use I-20 and then hop on the Big Spring bypass for the time being.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.