Towns in close proximity with names that are related and/or seem to go together?

Started by KCRoadFan, November 02, 2020, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Heading south on I-5 in the Sacramento Valley, you head through Willows, Williams, and Woodland.  Called "the W's" if you're coming from vacation in Oregon or parts north, they are the pit stop towns that tell you that you're almost at the turn onto I-80 for the Bay Area.  Also Winters, on I-505, if you take the cut-off instead of going through Davis.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JoePCool14

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but for anyone who's been to Wisconsin, you're probably very familiar with that "Wisconsin feel" of town and city names:

Milwaukee
Waukesha
Kenosha
Wausau
Manitowoc
Oshkosh
Pewaukee
Kewaunee

I can't exactly explain it, but when you hear these town names, you just immediately know it's Wisconsin.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 06, 2021, 08:20:40 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but for anyone who's been to Wisconsin, you're probably very familiar with that "Wisconsin feel" of town and city names:

Milwaukee
Waukesha
Kenosha
Wausau
Manitowoc
Oshkosh
Pewaukee
Kewaunee

I can't exactly explain it, but when you hear these town names, you just immediately know it's Wisconsin.

Except Waukegan, which is in Illinois.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

gonealookin

Lewiston, Idaho is right across the Snake River from Clarkston, Washington.

Scott5114

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but for anyone who's been to Wisconsin, you're probably very familiar with that "Wisconsin feel" of town and city names[...]I can't exactly explain it, but when you hear these town names, you just immediately know it's Wisconsin.

I can–those are all Ojibwe or Menominee words, which are both part of the Algonquian language family, both tribes native to Wisconsin.

Likewise, Oklahoma town names have a distinct sound to them, since many of them are based on languages from the Muskogean family (except for the northeast part of the state, which is Cherokee territory, which is an Iroquoian language).  if you've heard enough of them, you can guess what part of the state many Oklahoma towns are in, just based on the tribal boundaries and the sorts of names that come from their languages.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 06, 2021, 09:12:12 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but for anyone who's been to Wisconsin, you're probably very familiar with that "Wisconsin feel" of town and city names[...]I can't exactly explain it, but when you hear these town names, you just immediately know it's Wisconsin.

I can–those are all Ojibwe or Menominee words, which are both part of the Algonquian language family, both tribes native to Wisconsin.

Likewise, Oklahoma town names have a distinct sound to them, since many of them are based on languages from the Muskogean family (except for the northeast part of the state, which is Cherokee territory, which is an Iroquoian language).  if you've heard enough of them, you can guess what part of the state many Oklahoma towns are in, just based on the tribal boundaries and the sorts of names that come from their languages.

Washington has a lot of cities like this too. I grew up in Wisconsin pronouncing the aforementioned names with ease, but for some reason it took me a while to nail down some of the ones in Washington.

Puyallup
Snohomish
Isiquah
Snoqualmie
Ilwaco
Hoquaim
Sequim
Quilcene
Mukilteo
Wenatchee
Sammamish

Scott5114

^ Those are all words from Salishan languages–yet another tribal language family!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

A lot of upstate New York names have a certain "feel" to them as well, many of which are also from native tribal languages.
Examples include Iroquois, Irondequoit, Onondaga, Oneonta, Oneida, Oswego, Chautauqua, Canandaigua ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_of_Native_American_origin_in_the_United_States

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has that a bit with Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Minnetrista, Minnewaska, Minnehaha Avenues in both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on March 07, 2021, 01:49:04 PM
A lot of upstate New York names have a certain "feel" to them as well, many of which are also from native tribal languages.
Examples include Iroquois, Irondequoit, Onondaga, Oneonta, Oneida, Oswego, Chautauqua, Canandaigua ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_of_Native_American_origin_in_the_United_States

And then you have a completely different set of Downstate-sounding names (particularly on Long Island):
Hauppauge
Wantagh
Poughquag
Quogue
Chappaqua
Massapequa
Mahopac
Patchogue

[...I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere...]

MinecraftNinja

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 10:51:55 AM
Quote from: MinecraftNinja on March 08, 2021, 11:35:13 PM
Western Illinois has Springfield, Quincy and Pittsfield.

How do those names appear related?

They all exist (and are on the larger side) in Massachusetts.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CNGL-Leudimin

One combination of cities I've always seen fitting is in Montana. Going East on I-90 there's Butte, Bozeman and Billings in this order.

Northern Italy has all three primary substractive colors: Magenta (namesake of the color), Ciano ("cyan") and Giallo ("yellow").
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 09, 2021, 03:18:46 PM
One combination of cities I've always seen fitting is in Montana. Going East on I-90 there's Butte, Bozeman and Billings in this order.

Does it work with Ohio's 3 big Cs too?

MCRoads

I'm not sure if this is something you guys would be interested in, but I read in my US History textbook (am I the only one that actually reads the textbooks in HS?) that a lot of the places settlers pitched camp got names off the top of their heads. I think my favorite ones on the map they showed with all the little stops were Prosperity and Despair. They looked about 1 day's trip apart (back then, of course), so I guess something really killed the mood. Some other interesting names I can remember were, in no particular order, Failure, Hope, Summit, Rivers Crossing, and Deception Hill.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

OCGuy81

Milwaukee
Waukesha
Kenosha
Wausau
Manitowoc
Oshkosh
Pewaukee
Kewaunee

Ya left off the town I grew up in.

Oconomowoc

People not from Wisco have a blast trying to pronounce that one.

hobsini2

In the Chicago area we have Oak Park, Oak Brook & Oak Forest, River Forest and River Grove, Park Ridge and Norridge.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kernals12

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 20, 2021, 08:57:35 PM
In the Chicago area we have Oak Park, Oak Brook & Oak Forest, River Forest and River Grove, Park Ridge and Norridge.

I see Chicago likes trees.

GaryV

Quote from: kernals12 on March 20, 2021, 11:37:07 PM

I see Chicago likes where there used to be trees.

FIFY

paulthemapguy

Quote from: GaryV on March 21, 2021, 07:36:12 AM

FIFY

And Illinois is the Prairie State because it used to be prairie, but now 99% of it is wiped out.

Chicagoland likes to name places after trees because trees are special and hard to come by!  So if you look at it a certain way, the constant touting of trees is a testament to the general lack of them.  You name a place after what is especially attractive about that place.  "Oak Park:  There's actually an oak tree here, come check it out."
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

webny99

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 22, 2021, 11:49:04 AM
Chicagoland likes to name places after trees because trees are special and hard to come by!  So if you look at it a certain way, the constant touting of trees is a testament to the general lack of them.  You name a place after what is especially attractive about that place.  "Oak Park:  There's actually an oak tree here, come check it out."

I have noticed that Chicago has a lot of tree-themed, or at least tree-adjacent, suburb names.

There's Elmhurst, Willowbrook, Woodridge, Oak Brook, Elmwood Park, Wood Dale... and probably plenty more.

doorknob60

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 14, 2020, 01:03:28 AM
No longer applies because she just got married, but two adjacent towns in Idaho form the maiden name of my first college crush.

Shot in the dark, Kimberly Hansen?

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on March 21, 2021, 07:36:12 AM

FIFY

Not a fair assessment at all.  Chicagoland has a lot of trees.  And specifically in some of those places mentioned.  Take a drive in the residential neighborhoods of Oak Park and River Forest in October, and there's a decent change your car will be swallowed whole by a pile of leaves.

random spot in Oak Park
random spot in River Forest
the freaking WOODS in River Grove

Those towns are full of old-growth trees.  Oak Brook is different, but at least they re-planted their neighborhoods with trees:

random spot in Oak Brook

In general, the Chicago area has a LOT of park and forest land–more than many other cities.  Maybe not so much the city proper but, then, we're talking about the suburbs anyway, aren't we?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.