AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: VA: Henrico County set to build N. Gayton Rd extension  (Read 11754 times)

WillWeaverRVA

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:04 PM
    • WillWeaverRVA Photography
VA: Henrico County set to build N. Gayton Rd extension
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »

Henrico set to connect Broad Street to Shady Grove/Pouncey Tract intersection

By David Ress

Published: July 3, 2009

Henrico County has a route set and plans in hand for more than 80 percent of a new 1½-mile connection between West Broad Street and the intersection of Shady Grove and Pouncey Tract roads.

The project is meant to ease traffic at one of the busiest intersections in the metro area, and comes before the Board of Supervisors this month for consideration, capital projects coordinator Robert C. Tieman said.

If the board approves, work will start next month and should be finished by December 2011

The project would be the largest single road project, in dollar terms, in the county's history, costing a total of $48.4 million. It includes:

A new six-lane bridge over Interstate 64 -- designed with extra space for turn lanes in case the state and federal governments ever find the money for an interchange.

A relocation -- a new swooping curve and hill -- for a portion of Bacova Drive to make room for the bridge. "A whole lot of dirt is going to have to be moved," Tieman said.

A widening of a nearly three-quarter-mile stretch of Shady Grove Road, between Pouncey Tract Road and Twin Hickory Drive.

A new 8-inch sewer line to homes where the new construction would reduce drainage fields from septic tanks.

New water lines for people whose wells are affected by the construction, and to create a new connection between Shady Grove Road and West Broad Street, which should make delivery of water more reliable.

A 10-foot wide bike path and sidewalk along the new road.
The project would provide a third way out of the Twin Hickory and Wyndham neighborhoods for thousands of the subdivisions' residents, who are now pretty much limited to driving down Shady Grove to Pouncey Tract to reach West Broad Street, or down Nuckols Road to Interstate 295 and Innsbrook, Tieman said.

Traffic from those areas has made the intersection of Pouncey Tract and West Broad among the busiest in the area -- about 58,000 vehicles a day drive on West Broad through the intersection, while 11,000 a day move onto West Broad from Pouncey Tract. By reducing traffic coming to that intersection from the north, traffic tie-ups for people driving up Pump Road from the south to West Broad should ease, Tieman said.

The county supervisors approved a "design-build" contract for the project in 2007. By giving one team of engineers and road builders the work, the county was able to speed up the process. Normally, engineers bid to design the road and then when the plans are in hand, contractors vie for the work.

Work could start shortly after the Board of Supervisors considers the project at a public hearing scheduled for July 29.

"This is really fast for a road project," Tieman said.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/GAYT03_20090702-223003/277816/

-----------------------------------

No idea how this is going to work, really, and I doubt an interchange with I-64 will ever come to fruition given the extension's proximity to the current I-64/I-295 interchange. VDOT would need to change quite a bit of signage on I-64, as well. The connector is definitely needed given how congested US 250 is in the Short Pump area, though, and if Henrico has found a way for it to work, then more power to them.

Granted, widening VA 271 to Nuckols Rd might have been easier and much less costly, but I doubt VDOT has the funds for it at the moment.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WahooBill

• Last Login: Today at 07:20:18 AM
Re: Virginia
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:51:15 AM »

The new 2 mile Gayton Road extension in Henrico County was finally (and I say finally as it opened 3 months late) opened yesterday.  The 2 mile road includes a new bridge over Interstate 64 and connects US250 (Broad Street) with VA-271 (Pouncey Tract Rd) in the western portion of Henrico County.  The new road includes a new wide bike/walking trail and will serve a bypass around all of the congestion near the retail areas at Broad Street and Pouncey Tract road.  If only they had been able to include ramps on I-64 as part of the project, that would have been a huge help out to traffic in the area.

Moved 2012 posts here from general VA thread.  -Mark
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:51:48 AM by 74/171FAN »

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
Re: Re: Virginia
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »

The new 2 mile Gayton Road extension in Henrico County was finally (and I say finally as it opened 3 months late) opened yesterday.  The 2 mile road includes a new bridge over Interstate 64 and connects US250 (Broad Street) with VA-271 (Pouncey Tract Rd) in the western portion of Henrico County.  The new road includes a new wide bike/walking trail and will serve a bypass around all of the congestion near the retail areas at Broad Street and Pouncey Tract road.  If only they had been able to include ramps on I-64 as part of the project, that would have been a huge help out to traffic in the area.

It will be a huge traffic improvement immediately.

The interchange ramps with I-64 are pending a FHWA Interchange Justification study.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

WillWeaverRVA

Re: Re: Virginia
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

It will be a huge traffic improvement immediately.

The interchange ramps with I-64 are pending a FHWA Interchange Justification study.

It has been. There has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of time it takes to go through the Short Pump area along US 250, and the North Gayton Road extension is definitely seeing a good amount of traffic (unlike the John Rolfe Parkway, which sees relatively little traffic for some reason).
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 07:30:00 AM
Re: VA: Henrico County set to build N. Gayton Rd extension
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:40:31 AM »

No idea how this is going to work, really, and I doubt an interchange with I-64 will ever come to fruition given the extension's proximity to the current I-64/I-295 interchange. VDOT would need to change quite a bit of signage on I-64, as well. The connector is definitely needed given how congested US 250 is in the Short Pump area, though, and if Henrico has found a way for it to work, then more power to them.

The future interchange on I-64 at N Gayton Rd could be a DDI.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »

That's a little surprising...I don't know if there's even enough ROW there to build one.
Will Weaver

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »

The future interchange on I-64 at N Gayton Rd could be a DDI.

It is about 1.5 mile on I-64 between North Gayton Road and I-295, and about 1.5 mile between North Gayton Road and VA-288, so there is definitely enough spacing length to feasibly add this interchange.  Plus I-64 was recently widened to 4 lanes each way between I-295 and VA-288, and that would help with the feasibility of the interchange.

The bridge has a narrow median and I don't think anywhere near wide enough to accommodate a DDI design.

Given the housing that has been built on the southeast quadrant, I would not put a ramp there, I would have a left turn into a loop for northbound North Gayton Road to eastbound I-64, and that loop would also handle southbound North Gayton Road to eastbound I-64.

The other three movements would be handled by finger ramps from I-64 to signalized intersections on North Gayton Road.

There is enough space for that design.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.