AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Dulles Toll Road/Dulles Airport Access Road  (Read 93246 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Re: Dulles Toll Road/Dulles Airport Access Road
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »

Regarding the Dulles Access Road, take note that the HOV exemption on I-66 will end later this year when HO/T operations begin inside the Beltway. Airport traffic will be subject to the same rules on I-66 as other traffic. In practical terms, it essentially means you don't get a break on the toll if you're going to or from the airport.

You still get a break on the tolls on VA-267 (Dulles Toll Road) if you use the Dulles Access Road.  But you will no longer get a break on the (new) I-66 tolls (or an  exemption on the HOV-2 restriction on I-66 between the Dulles Connector Road and Rosslyn).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:55:53 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2017, 07:52:29 AM »

I imagine that's going to muck up more than a few drivers when it begins...

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »

Regarding the Dulles Access Road, take note that the HOV exemption on I-66 will end later this year when HO/T operations begin inside the Beltway. Airport traffic will be subject to the same rules on I-66 as other traffic. In practical terms, it essentially means you don't get a break on the toll if you're going to or from the airport.

You still get a break on the tolls on VA-267 (Dulles Toll Road) if you use the Dulles Access Road.  But you will no longer get a break on the (new) I-66 tolls (or an  exemption on the HOV-2 restriction on I-66 between the Dulles Connector Road and Rosslyn).

Well, there is no toll on the Access Road and never has been, so I don't view that as "a break on the tolls." I was referring to the new I-66 tolls. I kind of figured "subject to the same rules on I-66 as other traffic" indicated what I meant. Sorry if I was unclear.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:00:25 PM by 1995hoo »
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »

I imagine that's going to muck up more than a few drivers when it begins...

Why?  Drivers alone in their cars weren't exempt from the HOV restrictions on 66 prior to the HO/T designation. 

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »

They were if they were going to/from Dulles.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »

They were if they were going to/from Dulles.

Adam is correct. 

More details.

HOV restrictions do not (soon did not) apply eastbound during the HOV-2 AM restricted period (6:30 AM to 9:00 AM) for traffic coming directly from the airport on I-66 from the east end of the Dulles Access Road, down the Dulles Connector Road (not signed anywhere - shown as the Dulles Toll Road on Google Maps, runs between VA-123 (Exit 19 on VA-267) and I-66 (Exit 67)) and along I-66 as far east as the Rosslyn Tunnel. 

Westbound, the HOV-2 PM restricted period (4:00 PM to 6:30 PM) for traffic going directly do the airport exemption is (soon, was) from the Rosslyn Tunnel (Exit 73) to the Dulles Connector Road (Exit 67 (westbound only)), then along the Dulles Connector Road to the Dulles Airport Access Road (where airport traffic exits to the left and other traffic continues straight ahead toward VA-123 and the I-66 PM HOV restriction applies as far as Exits 19B and 19A).

There has never been any Dulles HOV exemption from I-66 Exit 64 (I-495) to the Dulles Connector (Exit 67 (again, westbound only)).

All of the above made it difficult for the Virginia State Police to enforce the HOV restrictions in the I-66 corridor inside the Beltway, and especially east of I-66 Exit 67.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »

cpzilliacus notes the difficulty the Dulles exemption causes on I-66. Another factor is that according to VDOT, the exemption only applies if you're going to or from the airport to depart on a flight or to pick up someone who's flying in. VDOT claims the exemption doesn't apply if you're putting gas in the car, buying coffee, etc.–that is, all the loopholes people use to get onto the Dulles Access Road.

I have no clue to what extent or how well this part of it is enforced.

It's odd that the way it's stated below doesn't allow for an exemption for returning from the airport after dropping off a departing passenger or for travel after you yourself arrive on an inbound flight.

This is from the "Exceptions" section at the bottom of http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp:

Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport to go to the airport to board a flight or to pick someone up at the airport are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway (I-495) during HOV hours. Motorists traveling to or from Dulles International Airport are not exempt from HOV restrictions on I-66 outside the Beltway (I-495). You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »

cpzilliacus notes the difficulty the Dulles exemption causes on I-66. Another factor is that according to VDOT, the exemption only applies if you're going to or from the airport to depart on a flight or to pick up someone who's flying in. VDOT claims the exemption doesn't apply if you're putting gas in the car, buying coffee, etc.–that is, all the loopholes people use to get onto the Dulles Access Road.

I have no clue to what extent or how well this part of it is enforced.

It's odd that the way it's stated below doesn't allow for an exemption for returning from the airport after dropping off a departing passenger or for travel after you yourself arrive on an inbound flight.

This is from the "Exceptions" section at the bottom of http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp:

Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport to go to the airport to board a flight or to pick someone up at the airport are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway (I-495) during HOV hours. Motorists traveling to or from Dulles International Airport are not exempt from HOV restrictions on I-66 outside the Beltway (I-495). You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport.

That seems not to be reflected by reality.  Of course, once the tolling on I-66 between I-495 and the Rosslyn Tunnel starts, this becomes mostly irrelevant.

Consider the "captive" Washington Flyer Taxi fleet, which has a contractual right (granted by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) and enforced by the  MWAA Police) to pick-up most persons (arriving passengers or otherwise) desiring a taxi ride from Dulles Airport. 

On more than one weekday afternoon during the westbound HOV restricted period, I have observed dozens of these cabs headed back to Dulles via I-66, the Dulles Connector Road and the Dulles Access Road, with only the driver in the vehicle (nearly all of the Washington Flyer cabs pick-up fares at the airport, but very seldom carry a paying customer to the airport).  Yes, I suppose they can be considered to be headed to the airport to get another fare (is that construed as "picking someone up at the airport"?).

In the mornings, there are other cabs (usually licensed by Arlington County (Va.); City of Alexandria (Va.); the District of Columbia; or (rarely) Prince George's County (Md.)) who run empty eastbound from the airport on the Dulles Airport Access Road, then onto the Dulles Connector and eastbound I-66.  Since they are not involved directly in someone "boarding a plane" (and can presumably  not  prove it if they are stopped), are they in violation?

Personally, I have had business at Dulles associated with my job (but not boarding a plane) where I needed to get from D.C. to the airport in the afternoon, and have used I-66 and the Dulles Connector/Access Road with a clear conscience.

The deadheading cabs do not appear to meet the conditions quoted above, nor did I.

As an aside, I have seldom seen drivers of cabs purchase fuel at the Dulles gas station (previously Exxon, now Sunoco). Presumably they purchase fuel at off-airport locations at lower cost.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:55:47 PM by cpzilliacus »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »

Washington Post: Dulles Toll Road upgrade could foreshadow congestion-priced tolling

Dulles Toll Road officials are eager to talk about an equipment upgrade that will bring the more than 30-year-old toll collection system into the modern age. The new system will allow drivers to pay by credit card and offer a self-service option for those who don’t have an E-ZPass transponder.

“The current technology of the road is very dated,”  said Margaret E. McKeough, chief operating officer for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which manages the toll road. “This is a project that will make sure we keep stable and current the technology that’s supporting the toll road operation.”

What McKeough and others are reluctant to tout, however, is how the $23.4 million upgrade will give the system the ability to charge variable tolls – such as changing prices based on the time or day or amount of traffic.

Report to the Dulles Corridor Committee Information Report New Enhanced Toll Collection System for Dulles Toll Road  (Adobe Acrobat .pdf, 1.29 MB)

odditude

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 05:52:38 PM
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »

Were there ever plans to construct a direct connection between SR 28 SB and SR 267 WB? From a quick look at a map, it seems like an expansion of the Innovation Ave exit could join with the ramps coming from SR 28 NB, although this might have been intentionally avoided due to weaving concerns.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »

Were there ever plans to construct a direct connection between SR 28 SB and SR 267 WB? From a quick look at a map, it seems like an expansion of the Innovation Ave exit could join with the ramps coming from SR 28 NB, although this might have been intentionally avoided due to weaving concerns.

I am not aware of one. 

I think the idea is that such traffic (probably relatively low projected traffic volumes too) can exit VA-28 southbound to VA-606 (Old Ox Road) westbound to VA-267 (Dulles Greenway) westbound (Google map here), though going this way means that drivers must have E-ZPass or a credit card to enter 267 westbound, since the toll barrier on that ramp is always un-staffed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:37:02 PM by cpzilliacus »

odditude

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 05:52:38 PM
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »

I am not aware of one. 

I think the idea is that such traffic (probably relatively low projected traffic volumes too) can exit VA-28 southbound to VA-606 (Old Ox Road) westbound to VA-267 (Dulles Greenway) westbound (Google map here), though going this way means that drivers must have E-ZPass or a credit card to enter 267 westbound, since the toll barrier on that ramp is always un-staffed.

It's actually (poorly) signed as such on SR-28 SB. However, with the increasing industrial traffic on Old Ox Rd, I don't think it's really ideal for the movement.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »

It's actually (poorly) signed as such on SR-28 SB. However, with the increasing industrial traffic on Old Ox Rd, I don't think it's really ideal for the movement.

I doubt that the private owners of the Greenway are interested in paying for that ramp, and I doubt that VDOT would built it for them at no charge.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »

Washington Post: Dulles Toll Road users may have to pay more starting next year

Drivers on the Dulles Toll Road are likely to pay more to travel the roadway starting next year.

Members of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority’s board of directors were briefed Wednesday on the process for raising tolls on the 14-mile stretch.

Since 2014, most drivers have been paying $3.50 to drive the toll road – $2.50 at the main toll plaza and $1 at on/off ramps. The next projected increase is expected to boost tolls to $4.75 for the main toll plaza and one ramp transaction. According to financial documents provided by MWAA, that rate is expected to remain in place through 2022 and increase again in 2023 to $6. By 2043, tolls could increase to $11.25 (see chart below).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »

WTOP Radio: Dulles Greenway turns 25; underused pioneer looks ahead in evolving pay-to-drive region

Dulles Greenway turned 25 years old this week, and owners of the 14-mile highway stretching from Virginia’s Leesburg to near Dulles International Airport are hoping its next quarter-century will raise the number of drivers who use it.

Known locally as “The Greenway,”  Virginia’s first private toll road since 1816 opened to drivers on Sept. 29, 1995. At the time, it cost $1 to ride the Greenway.

“The brainchild behind all of this was Maggie Bryant,”  said Renee Hamilton, newly-appointed CEO of Toll Road Investors Partnership II – or TRIP II – which maintains and operates the Greenway.

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2020, 03:40:45 PM »

WTOP Radio: Dulles Greenway turns 25; underused pioneer looks ahead in evolving pay-to-drive region

Dulles Greenway turned 25 years old this week, and owners of the 14-mile highway stretching from Virginia’s Leesburg to near Dulles International Airport are hoping its next quarter-century will raise the number of drivers who use it.

Known locally as “The Greenway,”  Virginia’s first private toll road since 1816 opened to drivers on Sept. 29, 1995. At the time, it cost $1 to ride the Greenway.

“The brainchild behind all of this was Maggie Bryant,”  said Renee Hamilton, newly-appointed CEO of Toll Road Investors Partnership II – or TRIP II – which maintains and operates the Greenway.

They'd probably have more luck getting people to use it if VDOT hadn't decided to continue improving VA 7. Now that nearly all (or is it all now? I haven't taken 7 in a few months) lights are gone, its ever more enticing to skip the Greenway and just use 7.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 09:26:46 PM
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »

With improvements complete (or almost complete) on VA-7, the VA-28 / VA-7 route is a full freeway (might have a couple RIROs left) between the Dulles Toll Road and Leesburg.

It's a matter of - do you want drive 65 mph and pay a toll, or do you want to drive 55 mph, but pay nothing?

In reality, both routes are moving 65 - 70 mph regardless of whatever the posted speed is.

1995hoo

« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »

Anyone happen to know what the original toll was for the Greenway back in 1995? I remember travelling on it sometime either that fall or, more likely, the following year, but I don't remember how much it was. I remember what the original Dulles Toll Road cost when it opened (50¢ at the main plaza in Tysons and 25¢ at the ramp tolls, except for Route 28 where it was 35¢), but I don't remember as to the Greenway. I didn't use it very often until after 2000 and by then I got a Smart Tag and have never paid much attention to the rates since then.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 09:26:46 PM
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »

^

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2020, 09:22:10 PM »

Known locally as “The Greenway,”  Virginia’s first private toll road since 1816 opened to drivers on Sept. 29, 1995.
Anyone happen to know what the original toll was for the Greenway back in 1995? I remember travelling on it sometime either that fall or, more likely, the following year, but I don't remember how much it was. I remember what the original Dulles Toll Road cost when it opened (50¢ at the main plaza in Tysons and 25¢ at the ramp tolls, except for Route 28 where it was 35¢), but I don't remember as to the Greenway. I didn't use it very often until after 2000 and by then I got a Smart Tag and have never paid much attention to the rates since then.
At the time, it cost $1 to ride the Greenway.

My memory is getting vague, but I am sure that the tolls were much higher when the Greenway first opened.  When the Greenway opened, I lived just off Route 7 on the west slope of the Blue Ridge and had no traffic lights to get to the District, and then a handful of traffic lights to get to my office in Chantilly.  I remember that the original tolls were $3.85, and I could chop off a bit (perhaps 35 cents) by getting off at the Old Ox Road (SR-606) exit.  From there I could fight traffic on Sully Road (VA-28) or go around the backside of the airport to US-50.  I soon quit using the Greenway by using backroads to avoid the tolls.  There was so little traffic during the first month that the Greenway dropped the tolls in order to encourage customers.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:41:59 PM
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2020, 12:00:50 AM »

Known locally as “The Greenway,”  Virginia’s first private toll road since 1816 opened to drivers on Sept. 29, 1995.

My memory is getting vague, but I am sure that the tolls were much higher when the Greenway first opened.  When the Greenway opened, I lived just off Route 7 on the west slope of the Blue Ridge and had no traffic lights to get to the District, and then a handful of traffic lights to get to my office in Chantilly.  I remember that the original tolls were $3.85, and I could chop off a bit (perhaps 35 cents) by getting off at the Old Ox Road (SR-606) exit.  From there I could fight traffic on Sully Road (VA-28) or go around the backside of the airport to US-50.  I soon quit using the Greenway by using backroads to avoid the tolls.  There was so little traffic during the first month that the Greenway dropped the tolls in order to encourage customers.

I kinda remember that as well. Plus, there really weren't that many people living out that way anyway to support a toll road, and there's no "passing thru the area" traffic to add to the highway.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 08:31:54 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2020, 06:28:51 AM »

See bottom of pdf pg. 25 here - https://pwfinance.net/document/research_reprints/15%20dulles%20greenway.pdf

Tolls were supposed to be $1.75 through 1995 then $2 through 1997.

Revenue was short after opening and tolls were reduced for a time which increased ridership but not the overall revenue.

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2020, 11:10:05 PM »

I kinda remember that as well. Plus, there really weren't that many people living out that way anyway to support a toll road, and there's no "passing thru the area" traffic to add to the highway.

Even back then, there was plenty of traffic to Northern Virginia from Leesburg proper, Purcellville, Lovettsville, as well as Winchester and Jefferson County WV.  All routes from Leesburg to Dulles and Chantilly were packed, except for the Greenway.  Most folks driving that far were mostly financially strapped already, which is what led them to move so far out (as opposed to locals in the Eastern Panhandle driving further to get better pay).  I had a number of colleagues driving much further than I was.  What amazed me was the huge number of folks living in the South Potomac Valley that commuted to Northern Virginia and the District on the weekends to work construction jobs (often staying in groups of four in long-stay and nicer hotels).

Correction:  I didn't move out to Clarke County until early 1996.  Was living in Lovettsville when the Greenway opened.

sbeaver44

• Accountant/Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 06, 2024, 12:02:56 PM
    • Flickr - WestPA31
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2021, 07:36:43 PM »

Is the VA 90004 designation completely dead?  As in, for purposes of clinching VA 267, I have been on the Greenway from US 15 to the Dulles Tollway; the Dulles Tollway to VA 286; the entire Dulles Access Rd, and the segment east of I-495 to I-66

Have I clinched VA 267 or am I missing between VA 286 and I-495?

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »

By definition, you are indeed missing 267 between Fairfax County Pkwy (286) and the Beltway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.