AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: MdTA testing LED lighting in the Fort McHenry Tunnel  (Read 13587 times)

talllguy

• Tall. DOT Contractor. Likes Photography.

• Last Login: December 13, 2023, 10:50:17 PM
    • About Me
MdTA testing LED lighting in the Fort McHenry Tunnel
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »

Greetings, I was driving through bore 1 of the Fort McHenry Tunnel and noticed that towards the middle, the fluorescents were off and three different LED arrays were installed. I liked the third one the best. Check it out if you're in the area. Bore one is the northernmost tunnel, the one for Southbound traffic, closest to the right side of that road.

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
Re: MdTA testing LED lighting in the Fort McHenry Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

Is there a link to that, like a newspaper article or something?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

Have they ever used LOW pressure sodium lamps?
C-o-H

DeaconG

• Last Login: Today at 08:01:52 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »

Not that I know of in either the Ft McHenry or Baltimore Harbor tunnels...however, the Harbor Tunnel Thruway had them for years.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »

Not that I know of in either the Ft McHenry or Baltimore Harbor tunnels...however, the Harbor Tunnel Thruway had them for years.

Remember the "banana" luminaries (I understand from another source that they were Westinghouse Whiteways) along the approaches to the BHT?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

DeaconG

• Last Login: Today at 08:01:52 PM
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »

Remember the "banana" luminaries (I understand from another source that they were Westinghouse Whiteways) along the approaches to the BHT?

Oh, absolutely! I thought it was a signature look for the thruway and hated to see it go.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cpzilliacus

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »

Oh, absolutely! I thought it was a signature look for the thruway and hated to see it go.

Me too.  Never saw such luminaries on any other public highway in the U.S., though a maintenance person with MdTA told me these were difficult and expensive to maintain, which may have contributed to their demise in the early 1980's.

For those too young to remember them, this is what they looked like, and were once present at all  Maryland I-895 interchanges (except I-95 south in Howard County) as well as the mainline from Shell Road north to Erdman Avenue (if my memory is correct):

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SteveG1988

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 08:59:23 PM
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »

When did they get rid of some of the safety features they built into the tunnel? I remember reading that they made the portals brighter, with lighter colored paving to prevent the black hole effect. Also, when did they ditch the VMS speed limit signs?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cpzilliacus

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:18 AM »

When did they get rid of some of the safety features they built into the tunnel? I remember reading that they made the portals brighter, with lighter colored paving to prevent the black hole effect. Also, when did they ditch the VMS speed limit signs?

Both tubes had a reconstruction after the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in 1985 - one tube at a time was completely shut-down for the long term project.  When each tube was reopened, they looked essentially like they do today. 

SteveG1988

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »

Both tubes had a reconstruction after the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in 1985 - one tube at a time was completely shut-down for the long term project.  When each tube was reopened, they looked essentially like they do today. 

I was talking about the 1985 Fort McHenry Tunnel.

Opening day 1985

I remember that stuff in the 1990s til 2004, the last time we went down to NC prior to my grandfather dying.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

talllguy

• Tall. DOT Contractor. Likes Photography.

• Last Login: December 13, 2023, 10:50:17 PM
    • About Me
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

Is there a link to that, like a newspaper article or something?

I haven't seen any articles but the State of Maryland is actively trying to convert Traffic Control Devices to LED. See https://data.maryland.gov/dataset/Traffic-Control-Devices-with-LED-Lighting-Line-Cha/2hq7-6xh3

jrouse

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 08:42:28 PM
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:25:10 AM »

Those lighting fixtures on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway were fluorescent lamps, which were actually quite common in many cities, right down to the davit style of pole.  If you look at pictures of the lighting used on the "great white ways" back in the 50s and 60s, a lot of times it was fluorescent fixtures.   These lights, as noted, did have significant maintenance challenges, and so they were a technology that was not used for very long.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:31:49 AM by jrouse »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »

Those lighting fixtures on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway were fluorescent lamps, which were actually quite common in many cities, right down to the davit style of pole.  If you look at pictures of the lighting used on the "great white ways" back in the 50s and 60s, a lot of times it was fluorescent fixtures.   These lights, as noted, did have significant maintenance challenges, and so they were a technology that was not used for very long.

They were indeed fluorescent lamps, and they would blink and flicker at sunset as they warmed up (it seemed to take longer for them to get going during cold weather).

I never recall seeing them anywhere else in Maryland (and I have long ago been to every county in this small state), nor do I recall seeing them in the District of Columbia or Virginia. 

Many gas stations and other private owners of paved surfaces had them.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »

Has MdTA ever used low pressure sodium lamp fixtures?
C-o-H

SteveG1988

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 11:02:28 PM »

They were indeed fluorescent lamps, and they would blink and flicker at sunset as they warmed up (it seemed to take longer for them to get going during cold weather).

I never recall seeing them anywhere else in Maryland (and I have long ago been to every county in this small state), nor do I recall seeing them in the District of Columbia or Virginia. 

Many gas stations and other private owners of paved surfaces had them.

fluorescent lamps by their nature take a bit longer to come on due to having a ballast, at least the older ones, the cold temperatures cause it to take longer to activate the ballast system
Roads Clinched

jcn

• Last Login: December 05, 2020, 01:10:45 PM
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »

Not sure (Was born in 1992)

Speaking of lights though, were the old high mast lights at exits 93 and 89 as well as between the beltways, mercury vapor or metal halide?  I think they were mercury vapor, but I'm not too certain.  And what year did those high mast lights go up?

cpzilliacus

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 11:52:58 AM »

Not sure (Was born in 1992)

I do not recall ever seeing LPS luminaires on any state-maintained highway in Maryland (toll maintenance or SHA maintenance).

Places where they seemed to be  common include San Diego County, California (on roads maintained by Caltrans and those maintained by the  county or a municipality and on private property too (the  county has an ordinance that effectively mandates LPS to protect the Palomar Observatory)); and on motorways in Sweden (Sweden used to hang the luminaires from span wires high above the pavement (say 10 or 15 meters), but the ones I am familiar with have been removed).

Speaking of lights though, were the old high mast lights at exits 93 and 89 as well as between the beltways, mercury vapor or metal halide?  I think they were mercury vapor, but I'm not too certain.  And what year did those high mast lights go up?

The high-masts between the Beltways were installed as part of the construction of that part of I-95. and I believe all of them  were mercury.

High masts on the JFK Highway part of I-95 were not original to the  original 1963 toll road, and I believe they were added in the 1970's, also mercury to start with.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:55:31 AM by cpzilliacus »

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »

Low Pressure Sodium lamps were used in tunnels in New York City at one time.
C-o-H

jcn

• Last Login: December 05, 2020, 01:10:45 PM
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »

And now, they've started replacing the old lights in the tunnel with new LED's.  Has anyone noticed that?

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 05:16:09 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

Very nice.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »

And now, they've started replacing the old lights in the tunnel with new LED's.  Has anyone noticed that?

Yes. I normally drive the BHT and not the FMT (though that may change as the Canton Viaduct replacement and tunnel rehabilitation  project gets going), but I was through the FMT southbound and noticed that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.