AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 106817 times)

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
Re: West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 12:39:03 AM »

If they ever do this it'll be interesting to see how it gets routed and what would get eminent domained. Looks like there's a WV airfield and an OH elementary school that are pretty much in the way for a straight on shot.

Eyeballing Google aerial and streetview images of that area, it looks to me like the grade school in Ohio is far enough south so as to not be in the way.  OTOH, in West Virginia, that little private airstrip would go bye-bye and a new site would have to be found for that small industrial plant across WV 2 from the end of WV 193.

Speaking of that area, what is the current prognosis for that uncompleted gap in OH 7 across the river from Huntington, WV?

Mike
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:46:51 AM by mgk920 »

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 09:33:38 PM
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »

Speaking of that area, what is the current prognosis for that uncompleted gap in OH 7 across the river from Huntington, WV?

It's known as the Chesapeake Bypass Phase 2, and while it does appear on Ohio's TRAC Major New Construction Program List, it is listed under Tier 3 and does not have any funding currently committed to it.   

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

Major construction project to begin on I-64 in mid-April

It looks like the I-64 reconstruction project between Milton and Teays Valley will consist of 9" of asphalt overlay over rubblized concrete. Also interesting to see this split into two phases - one between Milton and Hurricane, and the other from Hurricane to Teays Valley. These are the oldest sections of interstate in the state, dating to 1958.

--

First public meeting held on I-64 reconstruction

"Crews will begin April 8 on the $47 million project affecting the stretch of the interstate between exit 28 to Milton and around where the interstate goes over Rocky Step Road. Work will include removing the existing asphalt, the rubblization of the underlying layer of concrete and putting down a new layer of asphalt."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:13:54 PM by seicer »

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »

Ugh. I foresee any trips to the northeast (possible attendance at the Shamokin Dam and Salamanca meets) using WV 2 to US 50 instead of getting caught in that mess.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 09:12:11 PM »

WVDOH let a bunch of Interstate reconstruction projects that should be starting this spring. Several sections of I-79 and parts of I-64 and I-77 are being done as well. I wish they'd use concrete instead of asphalt for reconstruction. I also wish DOH would learn how to properly manage work zone traffic. Expect long delays.

VTGoose

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:43:56 AM
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »

WVDOH let a bunch of Interstate reconstruction projects that should be starting this spring. . . I wish they'd use concrete instead of asphalt for reconstruction.

Does any other state follow the odd practice of West Virginia when repairing concrete sections of the interstate? Most repairs of bad concrete involve paving over the whole section or taking out and replacing the whole section with new concrete. WVDOH instead just jackhammers out around the bad patch and pours in new concrete, doing so along a stretch of highway. Does that really save time and money?
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »

WVDOH let a bunch of Interstate reconstruction projects that should be starting this spring. . . I wish they'd use concrete instead of asphalt for reconstruction.

Does any other state follow the odd practice of West Virginia when repairing concrete sections of the interstate? Most repairs of bad concrete involve paving over the whole section or taking out and replacing the whole section with new concrete. WVDOH instead just jackhammers out around the bad patch and pours in new concrete, doing so along a stretch of highway. Does that really save time and money?

I've seen this practice in use in several states that still have concrete pavement. Kentucky recently did this along the concrete-since-it-was-built-in-1971 section of I-64 between Frankfort and Midway.

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »

I've seen this practice in use in several states that still have concrete pavement. Kentucky recently did this along the concrete-since-it-was-built-in-1971 section of I-64 between Frankfort and Midway.

That is S.O.P. for WisDOT when concrete pavement needs attention but does not warrant complete repaving nor an asphalt overlay.  Cut/break out the bad squares or semi-squares and pour in new concrete, with all of its edges being dowel-barred.  The six-lane part of I-41 in the Appleton-Neenah area has had this done several times since it was first built in the early 1990s and it still looks and rides great.

Very economical and it only means a few short weeks of overnight work when it's being done.

Mike

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »

The circa 1971 segment between Frankfort and Midway was originally patched and diamond grinded around 2000, too. The state has gotten a LOT of mileage out of this pavement, and with the most recent restoration project, did segment replacements around the bridges that were in poor condition.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 11:43:09 AM »

I've noticed that WVDOH has also been repairing their existing concrete pavements more so now than any other time. It seemed that when the pavement just hit some magical age marker, it would be repaved and not repaired - such as I-64 east of Sam Black Church. Compare that to I-64 west of Sam Black Church to Beckley, and older sections of Corridor H, which were repaired and diamond grinded.

Life in Paradise

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 03:47:42 PM
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »

Indiana also repairs concrete  by cutting out bad sections and then replaces the bed, rebar and connects it to the rest of the road with new concrete.  If the road is quite old, they may do this in sections and then pave over.  I've noticed lately that they have had (on the old I-164 section that was constructed in the mid 80s) several repaired areas that started sinking or cracking immediately, which tells me that someone didn't do their work correctly.

Bitmapped

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »

I've noticed that WVDOH has also been repairing their existing concrete pavements more so now than any other time. It seemed that when the pavement just hit some magical age marker, it would be repaved and not repaired - such as I-64 east of Sam Black Church. Compare that to I-64 west of Sam Black Church to Beckley, and older sections of Corridor H, which were repaired and diamond grinded.
There have actually been some projects where WVDOH has removed asphalt overlays and gone back to the underlying concrete. With the widespread use of diamond grinding, it's become a lot easier to repair concrete and still keep good ride quality than before.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »

I'm trying to think where that has happened at.

I know along Corridor H/US 48 and US 250, an asphalt overlay at that junction (https://goo.gl/maps/pcJK1AfusQS2) was removed, with the concrete repaired and diamond grinded. I'm not sure why it was asphalted, considering how new the pavement was at that time.

Bitmapped

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

I know along Corridor H/US 48 and US 250, an asphalt overlay at that junction (https://goo.gl/maps/pcJK1AfusQS2) was removed, with the concrete repaired and diamond grinded. I'm not sure why it was asphalted, considering how new the pavement was at that time.

It's happened on some of Corridor G around Boone and Lincoln Counties. Also, a couple spots of Corridor H near where you mentioned.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »

It's happened on some of Corridor G around Boone and Lincoln Counties. Also, a couple spots of Corridor H near where you mentioned.

I remember when it was done on Corridor H, because I drove through there during one of the lane closures. Oddly enough, I've been on Corridor H many more times than I have G, even though G runs into Kentucky. It's out of my way to take G to Charleston.

SP Cook

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:29:11 AM
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »

The Turnpike board met this morning to outline the WV Turnpike toll hikes ostensibly to pay part of Gov. Justice's "roads to prosperty" borrowing program.  Legally public hearings have to be held, but, of course, nothing said there is considered.  Final approval will be in June, apparently to go into effect in January.  The news story I got had some gaps in it.

Standard car cash tolls will double from $2 to $4 per booth and from .40 to .80 for the US 19/Corridor L connector (this is the only ramp that is tolled, unlike most other toll roads the turnpike ended "side tolls" decades ago at legislative direction).  This means a round trip for the whole road will $24 and those using the Corridor L to I-77 system (the direct way from Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh to Florida) round trip would be $9.60. 

It is not clear from the article if other rates are also doubling, but I assume they are.  Currently an RV is $2.50 booth and .80 for the ramp, and 18 wheeler is $6.75 and $1.60.

This is very much a "soak the strangers" program, as two discounts will be offered.  The current discount for using a WV EZ pass transponder (other authorities' ones do not get it) cuts the current tolls to 1.30/booth and .26 for the ramp.  The article is not clear but these appear to double to 2.60 and . 52. 

But here is the big discount.  Prior to January 1, 2019 anyone (even non-residents) can buy a EZ Pass based yearly pass for special discount price $24 for three years, after which it will be $25/year.  You have the option of depositing additional funds on the account to make it be a standard EZ Pass out of state. 

At $24 for three years, and even thereafter for the standard $25/year, anyone who even passes through the state once or twice a year would be crazy to not get a pass.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »

Yeesh.  That's a per-mile rate on par with the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  "Soak the strangers" policies should be illegal nationwide.

This is a good reason why tolls should themselves be illegal except for major bridges and tunnels (I'd put in a minimum length requirement of a half of a mile).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »

That's so confusing. I'd be happy if there was just an equal toll for everyone with a discount for frequent users that would refund a percentage of the collected tolls to a particular user. (e.g. Driver A is a frequent user of the Turnpike and at the end of the first quarter, gets a refund that's direct deposited.)

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

Crossed West Virginia plenty over the last week on holiday:

* The I-64 rebuilding project is ongoing and causing major delays. I came through at a time when it wasn't backed up and free flowing - averaging 45-50 MPH, but 30+ minute delays is not uncommon now. And US 60 and other parallel roads are jam packed at rush.

* Driving on I-77/I-79 for some reason is a little anxiety inducing, even without traffic. I recall a lot of bumps on both routes and it just made the ride uncomfortable in an SUV. Am I alone in having this experience (in general)?

* It doesn't seem that WVDOH has improved the major hydroplaning issues along I-64 west of MM 15 to MM 10. This has become a high accident scene after it was widened.

* Major lighting project along I-64 (and elsewhere?) in Charleston, replacing the center median fixtures with high mast LED poles along both sides. While I think this will improve the lighting along the highway, I am afraid of the spill over effects. At least from what I saw along I-70 near Wheeling, new high mast LED poles were put in with lights were located all around the pole, lighting not only the highway but the surrounding neighborhoods. (In general, why do we have a need to light up so much space?)

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 07:28:25 PM
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »

I-81’s twin bridges are currently being rebuilt/rehabbed by MDOT SHA. Will WVDOT be making any changes to I-81 between US 11 and the Potomac after this project is completed?

I happened to drive on that part of I-81 rather early this morning doing property and business inspections for my second job.  There is active construction work (read: I saw workers wearing hard hats and reflective vests walking and chatting) present on both the Maryland and West Virginia sides of the Potomac leading up to the new metal girders that Maryland SHA, excuse me, Maryland MDOT SHA, have put up for a replacement bridge.  The new construction seems to go WAY too far into WV for it to be all led by Maryland MDOT SHA.  I can't remember if the new pavement went past the US-11 exit.  Construction certainly stops before the WV-901 exit.

MDSHA is handling the entire project, including the WV sections up to the current end of the 6-lane segment at US 11. WVDOH is reimbursing Maryland for its expenses in West Virginia.

I checked the Web page for this project and observed this photo of the median barrier work in West Virginia on I-81. This made me wonder about the partnership between MDOT SHA and WVDOT - did the latter contribute any design work for the widening of I-81, to match the design and character of the existing widening work? Or was it designed solely by the SHA, on WVDOT’s dime, and the latter only provided oversight?

Bitmapped

Re: West Virginia
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »

I-81’s twin bridges are currently being rebuilt/rehabbed by MDOT SHA. Will WVDOT be making any changes to I-81 between US 11 and the Potomac after this project is completed?

I happened to drive on that part of I-81 rather early this morning doing property and business inspections for my second job.  There is active construction work (read: I saw workers wearing hard hats and reflective vests walking and chatting) present on both the Maryland and West Virginia sides of the Potomac leading up to the new metal girders that Maryland SHA, excuse me, Maryland MDOT SHA, have put up for a replacement bridge.  The new construction seems to go WAY too far into WV for it to be all led by Maryland MDOT SHA.  I can't remember if the new pavement went past the US-11 exit.  Construction certainly stops before the WV-901 exit.

MDSHA is handling the entire project, including the WV sections up to the current end of the 6-lane segment at US 11. WVDOH is reimbursing Maryland for its expenses in West Virginia.

I checked the Web page for this project and observed this photo of the median barrier work in West Virginia on I-81. This made me wonder about the partnership between MDOT SHA and WVDOT - did the latter contribute any design work for the widening of I-81, to match the design and character of the existing widening work? Or was it designed solely by the SHA, on WVDOT’s dime, and the latter only provided oversight?

WVDOH is pretty short-staffed on engineers. Even if WV was managing this project, the design for something of this scope would have been contracted out.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »

BECKLEY, W.Va. (AP) – Tolls on the West Virginia Turnpike will double starting next year.

News outlets report the West Virginia Parkways Authority voted Thursday to increase rates at three toll booths from $2 to $4 for passenger cars starting Jan. 1.

It's the first toll increase since 2009, when it went from $1.25 to $2.

Drivers who frequently use the Turnpike can choose to purchase an EZ pass, which will cost $24 for unlimited use for three years.  Those not already in the program would also pay a $13 one-time fee for a transponder.

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/west-virginia-turnpike-tolls-doubling-next-year-to/article_0a271dc4-6a9d-11e8-ae63-8bfc87c07e92.html
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »

It's times like this that I wish we had a standardized transponder system in the US - or have the clear distinction of interoperability, and have a clear, uniform pricing model. West Virginia is one of the few entities that offer such a steep discount that only works if you use the West Virginia EZ-Pass 3x a month and 3x a year.

• Last Login: Today at 07:00:53 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »

3x a month and 3x a year.

I assume this is a typo. What are the actual numbers?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.