AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 106801 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 12:54:52 AM
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/community/2019/03/bill-in-the-west-virginia-legislature-would-allow-west-virginia-department-of-transportation-to-increase-speed-limits-to-75-mph-changes-on-interstate-70-unlikely/

"The speed limit on selected interstate highways in West Virginia could be raised under a measure before the Legislature.

However, this isn’t likely to speed things up on Interstate 70 in Ohio County, said Sen. Charles Clements, chairman of Senate Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.

House Concurrent Resolution 32 would give secretary of the State Department of Transportation raise highway speed limits, “where appropriate,”  to 75 mph on interstate highways in West Virginia.

“This is only permissive, not mandatory”  said Clements, R-Wetzel. “It does not require it to be done. (The secretary) is authorized to look into it.”

He doesn’t foresee a decision coming to raise the speed limit to 75 mph on I-70.

“I doubt it. It’s pretty congested,”  Clements said. “They want it down to 60-65 mph coming down Two-Mile Hill. I don’t think so.”

HCR 32 passed the Senate Monday containing an amendment made in the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. Members eliminated a provision that also would have given the secretary of the State Department of Transportation authority to raise speed limits on the Appalachian Corridor highways to 70 mph.

“It was removed because there are crossings there that are pretty dangerous,”  Clements said. “It’s like that in a lot of places.”

The House accepted changes to the legislation Wednesday evening, and HCR 32 is now on to Gov. Jim Justice for signature."

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

sprjus4

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/community/2019/03/bill-in-the-west-virginia-legislature-would-allow-west-virginia-department-of-transportation-to-increase-speed-limits-to-75-mph-changes-on-interstate-70-unlikely/
That's nice, but there are very few places in that state with enough sight distance to get to 75 from 70. I don't see a need for this.
Apparently divided-highways with limited-access, but still at-grade intersections were authorized as high as 70 MPH, though this legislation would shoot that back to 65 MPH. Granted, none actually made 70 MPH, but rather 65 MPH, so this legislation wouldn't impact any existing divided highways, as none are 70 MPH.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »

That's nice, but there are very few places in that state with enough sight distance to get to 75 from 70. I don't see a need for this.

You'd be surprised how fast traffic moves on I-64 between the US 60 exit (29th Street) and the first Kanawha River bridge. I'm a veteran of driving that highway, and it's not uncommon to have 80 mph be the prevailing speed.

In most places along I-79, and I-77 north of Charleston, I don't feel comfortable driving above 70 due to the curves. I think the turnpike south of Beckley could handle 75, along with most of I-64 east of Beckley.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »

This is a resolution asking the Secretary of Transportation (who doubles as the Commissioner of Highways) to reevaluate speed limits. It doesn't make any change to what the Commissioner can do with speed limits. WV does not have any statutory limits on what the Commissioner can set. He can set 75mph speed limits now.

Most of WV's Interstate system was built with a design speed of 65. It's already posted above design speed at 70. I doubt you'll see speed limits increased further because of that reason. Even if the state was inclined to sign a higher limit, I have to think FHWA would start asking a lot of questions.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »

On my way to/from the New River Gorge meet, I drove a uniform 75 in all the 70 zones (well, except for the time I was driving in a heavy rain, but that was due to the weather, not the road) and it felt very comfortable.  Should a speed limit be a LIMIT rather than "here's a number, we know you'll drive 5-20 mph faster, that's fine"?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »

On my way to/from the New River Gorge meet, I drove a uniform 75 in all the 70 zones (well, except for the time I was driving in a heavy rain, but that was due to the weather, not the road) and it felt very comfortable.  Should a speed limit be a LIMIT rather than "here's a number, we know you'll drive 5-20 mph faster, that's fine"?

Traffic pretty commonly flows at 75mph on the Interstates and 70mph on at least portions of the Corridors now.

SP Cook

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:29:11 AM

sprjus4

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:22 AM »

Speed limit to be lowered on Interstate 77 by the end of April from 70 MPH to 60 MPH permanently between MM 20 and MM 27.

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/changes-arriving-on-i--more-patrols-lower-speed-limit/article_9fbbafd8-5fea-11e9-bac9-4b5e5937bf56.html

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »

Speed limit to be lowered on Interstate 77 by the end of April from 70 MPH to 60 MPH permanently between MM 20 and MM 27.

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/changes-arriving-on-i--more-patrols-lower-speed-limit/article_9fbbafd8-5fea-11e9-bac9-4b5e5937bf56.html

Ridiculous. Looks like the "OMG WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING!" crowd strikes again. What that story doesn't say was how those Turnpike employees got killed. Were they speeding? I know my agency has strict rules about driving the speed limit in state vehicles and they have GPS units that send a warning to management if you exceed the speed limit by a certain amount.

Nothing wrong with 70 mph on that section of road, as the hill and the curves are well-signed. Perhaps a split truck speed limit, like on Sandstone Mountain on I-64, would be beneficial.

sprjus4

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2019, 10:05:31 PM »

Ridiculous. Looks like the "OMG WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING!" crowd strikes again. What that story doesn't say was how those Turnpike employees got killed. Were they speeding? I know my agency has strict rules about driving the speed limit in state vehicles and they have GPS units that send a warning to management if you exceed the speed limit by a certain amount.

Nothing wrong with 70 mph on that section of road, as the hill and the curves are well-signed. Perhaps a split truck speed limit, like on Sandstone Mountain on I-64, would be beneficial.
It doesn't matter, people will still fly by doing 80+ MPH. Nothing stops them from doing that in urban areas with naturally lower speed limits. Here in Hampton Roads, the highway I'm off of (VA-of is posted 55 MPH, yet during the summer when tourists from the north are heading to the Outer Banks, you get ran off the road if you aren't doing at least 75 or 80 MPH. During the rest of the year, it's closer to 60 to 70 MPH. Chesapeake Police doesn't even patrol the highway that much, so it's pretty much free game.

LM117

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 03:36:52 PM
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »

Here’s the story on that crash.

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/i--crash-victims-identified/article_be1aab5c-a283-11e8-9667-0b6d8c6a9ff3.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/i--crash-victims-identified/article_be1aab5c-a283-11e8-9667-0b6d8c6a9ff3.html
I'll agree, the speed limit is a bit high, but you don't need to restrict everybody to 60 MPH. 65 MPH for cars / 55 MPH for trucks. Simple.

Interestingly enough, in this crash, the truck driver was charged with following to closely, reckless driving, and failure to maintain. When you're going down a mountain with a 5% grade that has curves, and you're driving a large truck, 70 MPH is too excessive, too unpredictable. The truck driver should've known this, and it's one idiot's stupidity that punishes everyone.

Location of the wreck, heading southbound on I-77 just before the US-19 overpass.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:35:36 AM by sprjus4 »

Verlanka

• Last Login: October 08, 2020, 05:43:14 AM
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »

I'll agree, the speed limit is a bit high, but you don't need to restrict everybody to 60 MPH. 65 MPH for cars / 55 MPH for trucks. Simple.

Maybe it should be 65 for cars and 50 for trucks.

SP Cook

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »

It is just a power grab.  Understand how the Turnpike works.  In the rest of the state, the WVSP does the full set of police work, including random taxing.  However, the Turnpike has its own separate "F Troop" of failed cops.  Wife beaters, liars, hotheads, etc.  The lawyers all know the dirt on these guys, so they are assigned to the Turnpike, where they will almost never have to appear in court, as random tax "work" is all they do. 

The WVSP is paid toll money for this "service".  Not just the pay for the cops involved, but the cars, equipment, etc. all belong to the Turnpike.  And they pay a "pro rata" share of the HQ expenses. 

Obviously, as the Turnpike can be safely driven at speeds well above even the underposted 70, the Turnpike has to set grossly over low SLs to justify the continuation of this program.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »

Location of the wreck, heading southbound on I-77 just before the US-19 overpass.

That's not even the worst location on that mountain. There's a pretty sharp left-hand curve just before you get to the US 19 Camp Creek exit, which is where I would have expected issues.

VTGoose

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:43:56 AM
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »

Interestingly enough, in this crash, the truck driver was charged with following to closely, reckless driving, and failure to maintain. When you're going down a mountain with a 5% grade that has curves, and you're driving a large truck, 70 MPH is too excessive, too unpredictable. The truck driver should've known this, and it's one idiot's stupidity that punishes everyone.

"The truck driver should've known this" -- It takes a special kind of idiot to ignore all the big yellow signs and flashing lights at the top of the grade that warn of the steep grade ahead. Given that there are not a lot of accidents going down that long grade (especially compared to the "wreck a day" that happens on the shorter and less steep downgrade from Christiansburg on I-81 north) the signs must work for most drivers.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2019, 11:40:49 PM »

The WVSP is paid toll money for this "service".  Not just the pay for the cops involved, but the cars, equipment, etc. all belong to the Turnpike.  And they pay a "pro rata" share of the HQ expenses. 

That's consistent with more than a few other states that have long(er) distance toll roads. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2019, 02:35:32 AM »

It's either twisty or they just want to have less accidents I guess! I've never been to West Virginia, so I'm guessing those are the reasons.

SP Cook

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »

Then you would guess wrong.  It all about power and money, like all SL decreases.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »

^ Perhaps in West Virginia, but not all SL decreases elsewhere are because of that.

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2019, 05:25:15 PM »

Speed limits there are probably decreasing because it's so twisty. It's not flat where you can drive fast. I'm fine with them lowering it from 70 to 60, 60 is fast enough for me.

sprjus4

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »

Speed limits there are probably decreasing because it's so twisty. It's not flat where you can drive fast. I'm fine with them lowering it from 70 to 60, 60 is fast enough for me.
It's easily driveable at 70 mph. Lower the truck speed limit. Not the car limit.

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »

Its not especially twisty, but there is a 1,000 foot elevation change in those 7 miles which likely contributes to problems.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2019, 09:07:13 AM »

It's easily driveable at 70 mph. Lower the truck speed limit. Not the car limit.

Then you're instituting a split speed limit, which brings a whole different host of safety issues...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.