AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)  (Read 74542 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Re: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

Yeah, once you start detouring everyone, people will quickly discover that I-695 north of the city is free, even with more traffic. MdTA doesn't want that.

Agreed.  I do not like driving I-695 across the "top" of Baltimore - seems to take forever as compared to I-95 or I-895, but still, I don't think they want to "teach" people a "free" shunpike route like that.

You mean going around the west side? That's about a 15 minute shunpike without factoring in traffic. Don't even bother trying during any peak hours.

I find US 40 to 295 or 395 faster than the long way.

IMO, that depends on time of day, and also the lack of events at Camden Yards or M&T Bank Stadium. 

U.S. 40 (Orleans Street) can be ugly through the Johns Hopkins Medical Campus when a lot of staff people leave in the afternoons.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »

Has construction on the Canton Viaduct replacement project started? I am not finding much online about actual work and most articles are from 2011 and 2014. I read either spring or fall 2016 for a start date.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 12:54:15 AM »

Has construction on the Canton Viaduct replacement project started? I am not finding much online about actual work and most articles are from 2011 and 2014. I read either spring or fall 2016 for a start date.

Nothing on the state's Electronic Marketplace site so far.

There is a bridge repair project for several structures north of the Canton Viaduct, but nothing showing for the viaduct replacement yet.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 07:28:25 PM
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »

The following website describes some of the civil engineering work involved in the replacement of the Canton Viaduct.

https://www.wrallp.com/our-work/replacement-i-895-canton-viaduct-over-i-95-ramps-railroads-city-streets

cpzilliacus

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 02:03:16 AM »

Drove I-895 both ways over the weekend.

The contractor has started work at the Patapsco Flats Bridge (this is the fairly long bridge between Md. 295  (B-W Parkway) and the Glen Burnie Bypass (I-895B/I-97)) about a mile or two south of the toll plaza.

There's a new staging yard on the northbound side between I-695 and Md. 295, and the right northbound lane crossing the bridge has been closed for now.  The taper starts prior to the Md. 295 interchange, so that traffic entering from the Parkway has a better opportunity to merge. 

No signs of activity yet southbound, though the DMS units warned of work starting this week (02 August).  EDIT: See memo from the MDTA here.

It appears that a lane will be blocked southbound, so the existing Jersey barrier in the middle can be demolished and a new movable barrier can be installed (no signs of the movable barrier - yet). Once the movable barrier is in place, the road can operate with 2 lanes in the peak direction, and 1 lane in the off-peak. 

This is the same lane configuration that is contemplated for the Canton Viaduct replacement project just north of the north portal to the tunnel (this project has not been  advertised for bidding yet).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:41:53 PM by cpzilliacus »

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »

Drove I-895 both ways over the weekend.

The contractor has started work at the Patapsco Flats Bridge (this is the fairly long bridge between Md. 295  (B-W Parkway) and the Glen Burnie Bypass (I-895B/I-97)) about a mile or two south of the toll plaza.

There's a new staging yard on the northbound side between I-695 and Md. 295, and the right northbound lane crossing the bridge has been closed for now.  The taper starts prior to the Md. 295 interchange, so that traffic entering from the Parkway has a better opportunity to merge. 

No signs of activity yet southbound, though the DMS units warned of work starting this week (02 August).  EDIT: See memo from the MDTA here.

It appears that a lane will be blocked southbound, so the existing Jersey barrier in the middle can be demolished and a new movable barrier can be installed (no signs of the movable barrier - yet). Once the movable barrier is in place, the road can operate with 2 lanes in the peak direction, and 1 lane in the off-peak. 

This is the same lane configuration that is contemplated for the Canton Viaduct replacement project just north of the north portal to the tunnel (this project has not been  advertised for bidding yet).

The project page seems to indicate they're planning on one lane in each direction (no reversible lane).

In later stages of construction, there will be two-way traffic on southbound I-895 - one lane in each direction - for about one year while crews work on the northbound side of the bridge. When complete, two-way traffic will operate on northbound I-895 for about one year while crews work on the southbound side.

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Capital_Projects/I-895_Patapsco_Flats.html

cpzilliacus

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:36 PM »

The project page seems to indicate they're planning on one lane in each direction (no reversible lane).

Thanks.

I had read someplace that a set-up similar to what is proposed for the Canton Viaduct (2 lanes peak, 1 lane off-peak) was to be used at Patapsco Flats as well.

Perhaps enough traffic uses the I-895 "B Spur" (to I-97 and Md. 2) that it's not warranted at Patapsco Flats?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:05:46 AM by cpzilliacus »

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »

Quote from: cpzilliacus
Perhaps enough traffic uses the I-895 "B Spur" (to I-97 and Md. 2) that it's not warranted at Patapsco Flats?

Per 2015 traffic volume maps, the Patapsco Flats has just over half the traffic volume of the Canton Viaduct.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »

Quote from: cpzilliacus

Per 2015 traffic volume maps, the Patapsco Flats has just over half the traffic volume of the Canton Viaduct.
Also a fun note that the B Spur is to MD 2 and the A Spur is to I-97. So CP should have said "the I-895 spurs". :)

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »

I remember when my family and I would be almost the only ones on I-895 after the I-97 split. That stretch seems more crowded these days. I don't know if I prefer the Harbor Tunnel over Fort McHenry.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »

Anyone know what the deal is with the Canton Viaduct replacement project?

Has it fallen victim to the toll cuts that Larry Hogan pushed through?  As best as I can tell, it has not shown up on  e-Maryland Marketplace (where state (and most county and municipal) construction projects are advertised for bids).

Back in November 2014, the Sun reported that the project would be under way in 2016, which is at this point an impossibility.

Looking at the Web site of the Baltimore Metropolitan Council (BMC) (the Baltimore Regional Transportation Board, the Metropolitan Planning Organization for Baltimore and suburbs, is housed at BMC), it appears that the project to make I-95 four lanes both ways from the I-95/I-895 "split" on the northeast side of Baltimore City to the Fort McHenry Tunnel was moved-up from 2030 to 2018, in part because of the Canton Viaduct project.  See this resolution (.pdf), which explicitly justifies the I-95 widening in part because of the Canton Viaduct, though there is no explicit mention of advertising the Canton Viaduct project being delayed.

Quote from: Description
Reconfigure (restripe) northbound and southbound I-95 to provide four continuous mainline lanes in each direction. Will include reconstructing at-grade shoulders, replacing at-grade median concrete traffic barrier, and reconstructing portions of existing bridge decks and concrete bridge parapets. This will not require any additional widening of the highway.  Construction will involve temporary lane closures and night work (to maintain traffic in all lanes during peak travel periods).

Quote from: Expected Year of Operation
2018 (the year of operation in the November 2015 Maximize2040 plan was 2030, and the project originally was tested in the air quality conformity model for 2030)

Quote from: Projected Cost
$51.102 million (year of expenditure) — covered entirely by toll revenues

Quote from: Justification
MDTA is advancing construction work on the Canton Viaduct segment of I-895. MDTA expects that work on the Canton Viaduct will divert traffic from I-895 to I-95. Advancing this I-95 lane reconfiguration project will help to accommodate the diverted traffic. It also will improve safety by providing a higher roadside concrete traffic barrier and bridge parapet

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:27:48 PM by cpzilliacus »

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »

Anyone know what the deal is with the Canton Viaduct replacement project?

Has it fallen victim to the toll cuts that Larry Hogan pushed through?  As best as I can tell, it has not shown up on  e-Maryland Marketplace (where state (and most county and municipal) construction projects are advertised for bids).

Per the draft 2017 transportation plan, looks like it has been pushed back to at least CY 2017 (if not 2018).  The widening of I-95 is probably the reason why it was pushed back.

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/newMDOT/Planning/CTP/CTP_17_22_Draft/Documents/Maryland_Transportation_Authority.pdf

cpzilliacus

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 06:32:12 PM »

Per the draft 2017 transportation plan, looks like it has been pushed back to at least CY 2017 (if not 2018).  The widening of I-95 is probably the reason why it was pushed back.

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/newMDOT/Planning/CTP/CTP_17_22_Draft/Documents/Maryland_Transportation_Authority.pdf

Thanks.  Had not occurred to me to look at the new CTP (was not aware that they put it online before the final version was approved).

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »

This may be a stupid question, but why do they continue to do the two-way traffic shenanigans at nighttime in the Harbor Tunnel???
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »

Probably to do maintenance.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 11:20:31 PM »

This may be a stupid question, but why do they continue to do the two-way traffic shenanigans at nighttime in the Harbor Tunnel???

The alternative is to shut one direction completely down, since most work on the tunnels is only done with the tube is completely shut-down.

The MDTA has been running "two-way" operation for many years at the BHT.  In the 1980's, after the  Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in 1985, they ran "two-way" for several years as one tube was completely shut-down for a through reconstruction, followed by the other.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 01:02:57 AM »

An invitation for bids (IFB) for the replacement of the Canton Viaduct  was recently posted to the eMaryland Marketplace Web site. The solicitation number is: MDJ0731032898

Until the bids are opened (scheduled for August 2017), the bid documents can be found here.

The scope of work is significantly more than just the replacement of the viaduct.

It is titled as:

Contract No. HT-694-000-006
REPLACEMENT OF CANTON VIADUCT
I-895 OVER I-95 RAMPS, RAILROADS & CITY STS.
AND REHABILITATION OF BALTIMORE HARBOR TUNNEL & TUNNEL APPROACHES

PROJECT SCOPE OF WORK
1. The project, located in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, and Howard Counties, and Baltimore City, will replace Bridge BCY102001 (I-895 over City streets, I-95 ramps, and active railroads, and crosses under the I-95 Viaduct) and BCY103001 (Holabird Avenue exit ramp over CSXT and Ponca Street) using multiple stages of construction. The existing roadway beyond the limits of the I-895 bridge will be reconstructed for 620 feet from the north tunnel approach to the south end of BCY102001 and for 180 feet north of BCY102001. The existing pavement beyond the limits of full depth reconstruction will be grinded and resurfaced approximately 1715 feet to the north of BCY102001. The project includes the replacement of existing retaining walls on the Holabird Avenue Ramp and construction of new retained fill sections at the south end of BCY102001. The project also includes the rehabilitation of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, including a new concrete deck overlay inside the tunnel and along the approaches to the tunnel, repairs to the tunnel tile wall, refurnishing of the fire suppression system, replacement of the drainage sump pumps, and repairs to the retaining walls along the approaches to the tunnel. The total project will extend about 2.9 miles, from mile marker 8.80, south of the tunnel, to mile marker 11.65, just north of the Boston Street/Interstate Avenue underpass.

The work includes but is not limited to:

a. Replacement of I-895 Canton Viaduct bridge (Bridge BCY102001), piers, and foundations
b. Replacement of the Holabird Avenue ramp bridge (Bridge BCY103001), piers, and foundations
c. Construction of Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Walls using conventional backfill and lightweight foamed concrete backfill (Retaining Wall BCY101R02, BCY101R03, and BCY104R02)
d. Full depth roadway construction, base widening, patching, grinding, resurfacing, and wedge and level
e. Replacement of W beam traffic barrier and end treatments
f. Replacement of concrete barrier
g. Stormdrain improvements
h. Signing and marking
i. Maintenance of Traffic
j. Lighting/electrical and ITS modifications
k. Relocation of existing utilities including water mains, sanitary sewer force main, and fiber optic utility. Installation of one water main requires jack and bore under active railroad tracks
l. Stormwater Management Facilities including an underground extended detention stormwater storage
m. Landscaping
n. Erosion and Sediment Control
o. Earthwork
p. Remove the specified amount of the existing wearing surface material mechanically or through hydro demolition and place latex modified concrete (LMC) in the tunnel and on the tunnel approaches.
q. Tunnel approach retaining wall repairs
r. Refurnish the fire suppression standpipe system, replace fire department connection valves and cabinets, replace pumps and associated electrical elements, replace heat tracing system, upgrade fire alarm system, and construct new fire pump rooms in the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel.
s. Replace drainage sump pumps. The Contractor is hereby notified that the existing mid-river sump pumps inside of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (BHT) are currently operating in a reduced capacity. The Contractor may be required to perform the sump pump replacement work at any time during the project duration at the direction of the Engineer.
t. Removing existing ceramic tiles, repairing unsound substrate concrete, epoxy injection of cracks, and installing new ceramic tiles on the Baltimore Harbor tunnel walls.
u. Incidental labor, material, and work, such as temporary at-grade railroad crossings and temporary access roads, to accomplish aforementioned items of work.
The I-895 mainline replacement bridge is a 3,155 feet long, continuous straight and curved steel plate girder, with retained fill approaches. The Holabird Avenue Ramp replacement is a 410 feet long curved steel plate girder bridge with a retaining wall section of 260 feet. The new mainline structure will contain 19 spans on the northbound bridge and 18 spans on the southbound bridge, ranging from 89 feet to 239 feet. Features include an integral pier cap to preserve a 36”  water main, a cast-in-place concrete deck, and Grade 75 stainless steel reinforcement. The abutments for the I-895 mainline bridge and the Commercial Vehicle Inspection Area will be backfilled with lightweight foamed concrete fill (LFCF). The project foundations will be a combination of micropiles and steel H-piles. The existing site conditions reveal contaminated soils which will be handled appropriately per the specifications provided.
There are four (4) main stages of construction for the replacement of Bridge BCY102001 and BCY103001 — Stages 1, 2, 3, and 4. During Stage 1, work will include the reconstruction of the approach shoulders, construction of portions of the Bridge BCY102001 foundations and substructure units, construction of temporary access roads and grade crossings, relocation of existing utilities, and construction of new high mast lights and intelligent transportation system (ITS) devices. During Stage 2, the northbound portion of Bridge BCY102001 and entire portion of Bridge BCY103001 will be demolished and replaced while traffic is maintained on the southbound portion of Bridge BCY102001. During Stage 3, the southbound portion of Bridge BCY102001 will be demolished and replaced while traffic is maintained on the northbound portion of Bridge BCY102001. During Stage 4, work will include the construction of the stormwater management facilities, installation of the landscaping, construction of the median barrier, and placement of the final surface course of the asphalt pavement. Maintenance of Traffic will maintain one lane in each direction throughout Stages 2 and 3, with limited full roadway closures in one direction as specified in the specifications provided. Holabird Avenue Ramp will be fully closed for the duration of the project, whereas some City streets, as well as the I-95 ramps, will be closed intermittently. Temporary construction access roads will be required to gain access to some pier demolition and construction sites, as will temporary at-grade railroad track crossings with continuous railroad company coordination.
Neither Stage 2 nor Stage 3 Maintenance of Traffic can be implemented earlier than November 27, 2018.
Traffic barriers, signing, striping, and lighting will be upgraded and/or replaced. Full depth asphalt pavement, patching, wedging, leveling, and resurfacing will be performed along the at-grade sections of I-895 within the project limits. The I-895 overhead detection system will remain in effect for the entire duration of the project. Stormwater management facilities will be implemented throughout the project site, including an underground extended detention stormwater storage facility.
A 16 inch Baltimore City water main will be relocated within the project limits, and subsequent resurfacing along city streets. The Fort McHenry Tunnel Service road will be relocated as it passes under the Canton Viaduct due to pier relocations; and minor improvements to the Canton Railroad company parking lot and Norfolk Southern Distribution Services’ access road (referred to herein as the Lumber Yard Access Road) will be necessary due to pier reconstruction and impacts.

A related MDTA contact solicitation number MDJ0731033122 , to build a duct bank for the  relocation of underground electric lines, can be found here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:29:17 PM by cpzilliacus »

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »

An invitation for bids (IFB) for the replacement of the Canton Viaduct  was recently posted to the eMaryland Marketplace Web site. The solicitation number is: MDJ0731032898

The scope of work is significantly more than just the replacement of the viaduct.

It is titled as:

Thanks!

Is it still estimated at about $280 million?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »

It is titled as:

Thanks!

With the added tunnel work it has to be more.  Will look in the MDTA part of the CTP later today.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »

It is titled as:

Thanks!

With the added tunnel work it has to be more.  Will look in the MDTA part of the CTP later today.

I saw that cost about a year ago for the replacement of the Canton Viaduct itself, which is 0.9 mile of 4-lane bridge with 10-foot right shoulders.

It is horrible how much the cost of highway construction has increased since about 2006-08.  That project was estimated at $175 million in about 2013.  Even that was an enormous figure.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »

I saw that cost about a year ago for the replacement of the Canton Viaduct itself, which is 0.9 mile of 4-lane bridge with 10-foot right shoulders.

It is horrible how much the cost of highway construction has increased since about 2006-08.  That project was estimated at $175 million in about 2013.  Even that was an enormous figure.

The 2017 Consolidated Transportation Program shows an estimated cost of about $273 million for the total replacement of the Canton Viaduct, but that does not include any work in the tunnel tubes, and the scope of this project includes a lot of work there.  So the  answer is I don't know what the estimated cost for the viaduct plus the tunnel work will end up being.

Regarding construction costs, apparently they have gone up a lot since the 2007/2008 recession got going.  Maryland was fortunate in that the bids for most of MD-200 were advertised in the middle of the recession, and as a result the construction work ended up costing less than what the budget had assumed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:21:52 AM by cpzilliacus »

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »

The 2017 Consolidated Transportation Program shows an estimated cost of about $273 million for the total replacement of the Canton Viaduct, but that does not include any work in the tunnel tubes, and the scope of this project includes a lot of work there.  So the  answer is I don't know what the estimated cost for the viaduct plus the tunnel work will end up being.

What about this segment listed in the announcement?  Is that part of the $273 million?
b. Replacement of the Holabird Avenue ramp bridge (Bridge BCY103001), piers, and foundations

Regarding construction costs, apparently they have gone up a lot since the 2007/2008 recession got going.

Unit costs have about doubled since then.  Surprisingly little analysis has been published.

Maryland was fortunate in that the bids for most of MD-200 were advertised in the middle of the recession, and as a result the construction work ended up costing less than what the budget had assumed.

Fortunate that the Woodrow Wilson Project was not delayed by the opponents.  Delaying it 5 years probably would have doubled the cost ($2.4 billion as completed), and it might not have gotten built at least not yet.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 01:11:48 AM »

What about this segment listed in the announcement?  Is that part of the $273 million?

That's effectively  part of the Canton Viaduct, even though MDTA considers it a separate structure. I believe the plan was always to replace that ramp along with the mainline Canton Viaduct.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:12:16 PM by cpzilliacus »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »

The Baltimore Sun has some fairly recent pictures of the Canton Viaduct, including close-ups of some of its deterioration (it is the only toll-maintained structure in Maryland that is classified as "structurally deficient") here.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »

What is the deal with Exit 9 (Childs St.) on this road? Seems kinda pointless to have an exit after paying the toll but right before the tunnel! Traffic entering south here has to pay the toll too. That's one expensive ramp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.