AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)  (Read 74537 times)

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »

Access to the port and industrial facilities on Wagners Point.  The alternative is a minimum of 3 miles along surface streets.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »

What is the deal with Exit 9 (Childs St.) on this road? Seems kinda pointless to have an exit after paying the toll but right before the tunnel! Traffic entering south here has to pay the toll too. That's one expensive ramp.
It's useful if you want to clinch one of the I-895 spurs, the northern part of I-695, and I-795 in the same day without paying even more tolls (via MD 2 and I-95).  Granted, probably not the reason they put the exit in.  And it was one expensive clinch, especially for half a mile of road (I-278 was similarly expensive, but only because I did not realize that the Bayonne Bridge was closed, so I had to scrap a planned clinch of NY/NJ 440).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 07:28:25 PM
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2017, 09:39:06 PM »

I'd be interested to know if this project will retain the STAY IN LANE mosaics in the tiled walls within the Harbor Tunnel, or if they will be removed and not replaced when the tiling is redone.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2017, 10:06:32 PM »

I'd be interested to know if this project will retain the STAY IN LANE mosaics in the tiled walls within the Harbor Tunnel, or if they will be removed and not replaced when the tiling is redone.

You might be able to discern that from the  plans on the Maryland Marketplace site with  the project advertisement above.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »

Interesting thing with those plans is not only do they indicate if speed cameras will be used, they mark exactly where the camera vehicle will be.  They will only use them southbound, I assume because the law restricts their use around bridges or tunnels (making it hard to use northbound).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »

What is the deal with Exit 9 (Childs St.) on this road? Seems kinda pointless to have an exit after paying the toll but right before the tunnel! Traffic entering south here has to pay the toll too. That's one expensive ramp.

The ramps have been there as long as I can remember (back to the 1960's) but were only signed sometime in the 1980's. 

Before that, they were only for vehicles belonging to the state, though apparently  anyone could legally use them, since the ramps were never signed as OFFICIAL USE ONLY or similar.

I think they were signed to improve truck access to and from the intermodal facilities in the Fairfield area of Baltimore City (especially seaport and pipeline terminals (most HAZMAT loads are banned from the tunnel but may exit northbound and enter southbound at these ramps)).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:26:20 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »

Interesting thing with those plans is not only do they indicate if speed cameras will be used, they mark exactly where the camera vehicle will be.  They will only use them southbound, I assume because the law restricts their use around bridges or tunnels (making it hard to use northbound).

It may be a practical matter, since the tunnel will be running with  only one lane per direction through much of this project, and the plans may assume that northbound traffic will emerge from the tunnel at a fairly low speed (it is a pretty long upgrade in either direction), and the speeds get slower if traffic is behind a laden dump truck or concrete ready-mix truck (most semitrailers today are too high for the BHT, so tractor-trailer combinations on this crossing are not that common - nearly all of them stay on I-95 and use the FMT).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:12:23 AM by cpzilliacus »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »

This afternoon is the bid opening for the Canton Viaduct replacement (and tunnel deck resurfacing and other stuff).

It will be interesting to see who has the winning bid and what the price is.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »

This afternoon is the bid opening for the Canton Viaduct replacement (and tunnel deck resurfacing and other stuff).

No news yet? 
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »

No news yet? 

Not a peep from MDTA, and nothing in the Baltimore Sun.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »

No news yet? 

This is really an oddball one.

All of MDTA's proposals are listed on bidx.  However, this one can only be found on eMaryland/Buyspeed/Maryland M@rketplace (there seems to be varying names for it).  That is usually reserved for smaller, non-transportation related projects

The proposal date was changed from 10/12/17 to 10/20/17.  All of MDTA's bids are usually due on Thursdays.  Friday afternoon is rare/nonexistent.

You can find everything about this project, even the plans and amendments to the original, up until 10/18/17, including that they will not change the 10/20 due date/time.  After that, silence.

Even if they decided to cancel the current letting, you would see *something* on these sites.

Very unusual.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »

No news yet? 

All of MDTA's proposals are listed on bidx.  However, this one can only be found on eMaryland/Buyspeed/Maryland M@rketplace (there seems to be varying names for it).  That is usually reserved for smaller, non-transportation related projects

The proposal date was changed from 10/12/17 to 10/20/17.  All of MDTA's bids are usually due on Thursdays.  Friday afternoon is rare/nonexistent.

You can find everything about this project, even the plans and amendments to the original, up until 10/18/17, including that they will not change the 10/20 due date/time.  After that, silence.

Even if they decided to cancel the current letting, you would see *something* on these sites.

Very unusual.

There is usually a "bid tabs" button that shows up when the bids have been opened on the Maryland Marketplace site, next to the "Exit" button. 

Checking the page for the Canton Viaduct job, it's not there (at least not yet).  I can think of a few reasons for this:

(1) No bids at all were submitted (probably unlikely);
(2) All submitted bids were rejected (but I think the bid prices would still be there, since I think bid rejection has to come from the MDTA Board); or
(3) They got several bids and they will post them as soon as MDTA has verified that all bidders have submitted complete bid packages (this is a pretty complex project).

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

No news yet? 
Very unusual.
There is usually a "bid tabs" button that shows up when the bids have been opened on the Maryland Marketplace site, next to the "Exit" button. 
Checking the page for the Canton Viaduct job, it's not there (at least not yet).  I can think of a few reasons for this:
(2) All submitted bids were rejected (but I think the bid prices would still be there, since I think bid rejection has to come from the MDTA Board); or
(3) They got several bids and they will post them as soon as MDTA has verified that all bidders have submitted complete bid packages (this is a pretty complex project).

I would seriously doubt that there were no bids.  Rejection of bids would be a separate and later decision, no reason why they would not announce the bid amounts if they had been verified.  Surprising there is nothing in the newspapers about this.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »

I did an advanced search, by date, of all MD607 (Maryland Transportation Authority) bids.  Either Maryland is very slow at awarding the contract, or they are hit-and-miss about posting it.  Per the website, no openings since 9/7/17 have been awarded, and only 4 bids have been awarded since June, 2017.  Several before that were never completed as well.

From what I can tell, there's no way to see if a project that wasn't awarded were due to reasons 1 or 2.

Your experiences may differ in Maryland, but it's very unlikely to see anything in New Jersey newspapers about project awards.  If the project amount is mentioned, it's usually in another article more related about the construction beginning.  Today's reporters are pretty unknowledgeable about this stuff, don't take the time to dive into DOT websites unless it's in a Press Release area (or Twitter), and unless they copy it directly from a press release, they'll have no idea how to even find it.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »

Your experiences may differ in Maryland, but it's very unlikely to see anything in New Jersey newspapers about project awards.  If the project amount is mentioned, it's usually in another article more related about the construction beginning.  Today's reporters are pretty unknowledgeable about this stuff, don't take the time to dive into DOT websites unless it's in a Press Release area (or Twitter), and unless they copy it directly from a press release, they'll have no idea how to even find it.

Newspapers in Maryland and Virginia do typically announce contract awards for major highway projects.  Especially in the case of a project like the Canton Viaduct Replacement that will see long-term lane closures on an Interstate highway.

The agency would typically have their own press release providing the details, and the newspapers and TV stations would use that data.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »

Also, all or very nearly all projects that go out to competitive bid (or sole-source bid) must be approved by the MDTA Board once the staff has identified an apparent low bidder and that the bidder meets all of the (in this case) very complex requirements listed in the IFB.

That being the case, the name of the winning bidder and the total contract price will appear (at some point) in the meeting minutes of the Board.

If the dollar amount exceeds a certain limit, it then has to go to the Board of Public Works (governor, comptroller and state treasurer) for final approval after the MDTA Board has approved the contract.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:39:01 PM by cpzilliacus »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »

Newspapers in Maryland and Virginia do typically announce contract awards for major highway projects.  Especially in the case of a project like the Canton Viaduct Replacement that will see long-term lane closures on an Interstate highway.

The agency would typically have their own press release providing the details, and the newspapers and TV stations would use that data.

Because of the disruptive nature of this project (long-term two lane operation with several total shut-downs of the crossing for 24 to 48 to 72 hours), MDTA is planning an extensive and aggressive media outreach campaign, which will presumably include all of the major media players in the Baltimore and Washington media markets.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »

So the winning bidder of the Canton Viaduct replacement project (and related I-895 work) is finally announced.  It's Tutor Perini, same firm that built the Alaskan Way Tunnel in Seattle. Apparently they were the only firm that bid on the job.

MDTA press release: MAJOR SYSTEM PRESERVATION PROJECTS COMING TO I-695 & I-895 IN BALTIMORE

I-895 Bridge - One Lane Open Each Direction 24/7 Post- Thanksgiving 2018 - 2021

The project is scheduled for completion in 2021. Tutor Perini Corporation will be performing the work.

See the Maryland thread for the other project (Curtis Creek draw span repairs) described by this press release.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:58:56 PM by cpzilliacus »

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »

So the winning bidder of the Canton Viaduct replacement project (and related I-895 work) is finally announced.  It's Tutor Perini, same firm that built the Alaskan Way Tunnel in Seattle. Apparently they were the only firm that bid on the job.
MDTA press release: MAJOR SYSTEM PRESERVATION PROJECTS COMING TO I-695 & I-895 IN BALTIMORE
I-895 Bridge - One Lane Open Each Direction 24/7 Post- Thanksgiving 2018 - 2021
The project is scheduled for completion in 2021. Tutor Perini Corporation will be performing the work.
See the Maryland thread for the other project (Curtis Creek draw span repairs) described by this press release.

I was wondering about this and looked at the letting announcement yesterday.

"Today, the MDTA Board approved the $189 million I-895 Bridge Project for construction."

Wasn't it estimated at about $280 million?  If so that is good news that they got a much lower bid. 

Includes a rehab of the tunnel and replacing an elevated ramp --

"The MDTA will replace the I-895 bridge located north of the Harbor Tunnel. Work also includes replacing the Holabird Avenue exit ramp (Exit 10) and rehabilitating the Harbor Tunnel, including repairs to the tunnel portal, approach ramps and walls, deck, fire suppression system and tiles. The project extends for three miles, starting on the south side of the Harbor Tunnel and moves north to the Boston Street/O'Donnell Street exit ramp (Exit 11)."

Plus the I-695 Curtis Creek Drawbridge --

"Curtis Creek Drawbridge - One Lane Open Each Direction 24/7 Jan. to Nov. 2018
The $20 million project to rehabilitate the structural, mechanical and electrical components of the Curtis Creek Drawbridge begins this month, with traffic impacts to I-695 starting in January 2018. Two-way traffic will operate 24/7 on this section of I-695."

So both harbor crossings will have a 2-lane restriction.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »

Though there's a third crossing that will have 6 or 8 lanes all the way across Baltimore City - the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95). The contractor is mobilized to widen the 6-lane section north of the toll plaza to 8 lanes right now.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »

Though there's a third crossing that will have 6 or 8 lanes all the way across Baltimore City - the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95). The contractor is mobilized to widen the 6-lane section north of the toll plaza to 8 lanes right now.

Yes indeed there are 3 crossings, I was just pointing out that two of them are being reduced from 4 to 2 lanes on a segment that will be under construction.  That has a major traffic impact on all three harbor crossings.

The I-95 6-lane section north of the toll plaza is on viaduct, it has the lane-drops for the unbuilt I-83 ramps, that would take at least 2 years to widen that to 8 lanes.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2017, 11:00:20 PM »

Yes indeed there are 3 crossings, I was just pointing out that two of them are being reduced from 4 to 2 lanes on a segment that will be under construction.  That has a major traffic impact on all three harbor crossings.

I believe that the I-695 (really MD-695) project at the Curtis Creek drawspan is supposed to be completed before the I-895 Canton Viaduct project gets under way.

The I-95 6-lane section north of the toll plaza is on viaduct, it has the lane-drops for the unbuilt I-83 ramps, that would take at least 2 years to widen that to 8 lanes.

The I-95 widening was awarded quite a while ago, and the contractor (Concrete General of Gaithersburg, Maryland) has been working through most of 2017, so a lot of the work is already complete.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »

I believe that the I-695 (really MD-695) project at the Curtis Creek drawspan is supposed to be completed before the I-895 Canton Viaduct project gets under way.

To be completed in Nov. 2018 as I cited above.  So are they going to wait 11 months before closing 2 lanes on the I-895 HTT?

The I-95 widening was awarded quite a while ago, and the contractor (Concrete General of Gaithersburg, Maryland) has been working through most of 2017, so a lot of the work is already complete.

What exactly are they doing, just restriping the existing roadways?  In the unbuilt I-83 interchange area, there is almost 2,000 feet of I-95 twin bridges with 3 lanes and 2 full shoulders on each, I just checked on Google Maps aerial view, and they don't look wide enough to restripe for 4 lanes and have even one full shoulder (presumably on the right).

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/News/MDTA_News_Releases/i-95-improvement-project-to-add-capacity-north-of-the-tunnel

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »

To be completed in Nov. 2018 as I cited above.  So are they going to wait 11 months before closing 2 lanes on the I-895 HTT?

I see that the answer is YES --

"Stage-one construction on the I-895 project begins in March 2018, with lane widths reduced to 11 feet and work taking place on the shoulders and under the I-895 bridge. Major traffic impacts during stages two and three begin after Thanksgiving 2018 and are expected to last until mid-2021.

During stage two, northbound I-895 will close 24/7, and two-way traffic will operate on southbound I-895. The Holabird Avenue exit ramp will close 24/7 during stage two.

Stage three begins in early 2020, when southbound I-895 will close 24/7 and two-way traffic will operate on northbound I-895. The I-895/Holabird Avenue ramp will reopen to traffic in stage three.

In order to rehabilitate the tunnel and tunnel approach roadway surface, MDTA will close each of the two tunnel bores for 60-days at separate times."

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/News/MDTA_News_Releases/major-system-preservation-projects-coming-to-i-695-i-895-in-baltimore

They had extended HTT tube closures soon after the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in 1985, for major tunnel rehabs.  After all these years certainly it is time for another major rehab and modernization to tunnel systems. 

Wonder what they are going to do with ventilation, replace the plenum fans, or go the jet fan route like on the Norfolk-Portsmouth tunnel rehabs?

The $189 million is a lot of money, but it covers a lot more than just the 0.9 mile Canton Viaduct.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:38:44 PM by Beltway »

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2017, 11:57:26 PM »

Yes.  I do not think that Tutor Perini is allowed to close anything before November 2018.  I suppose there is other work that can get under way, such as shop drawings for the new Canton Viaduct structure, and for the exit from I-895 northbound to Holabird Avenue.

What exactly are they doing, just restriping the existing roadways?  In the unbuilt I-83 interchange area, there is almost 2,000 feet of I-95 twin bridges with 3 lanes and 2 full shoulders on each, I just checked on Google Maps aerial view, and they don't look wide enough to restripe for 4 lanes and have even one full shoulder (presumably on the right).

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/News/MDTA_News_Releases/i-95-improvement-project-to-add-capacity-north-of-the-tunnel

As best as I can tell, the work is mostly on the left (median) side.  Does not appear to be any (permanent) re-striping going on. Interestingly, the Google car was by there recently (October 2017) and here is a good image of what Concrete General is doing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.