AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Alexandria/Arlington local roads  (Read 44513 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
Re: Alexandria/Arlington local roads
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »

Driving on Van Dorn yesterday we saw the northbound HOV exit sign covered up. It appears to be a standard small BGS, no sort of "HOV exit" or similar banner. Guess we'll see next month.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: December 22, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »

Project continues to inch near completion. As of the afternoon of 5 January, there was a "change in traffic pattern soon" (or something like that) orange sign facing southwards towards the south end of the ramp (i.e. people driving north on the 395 HOV lanes would see it on the right-most lane of the center carriageway). Also, the ramp appeared to be fully painted and blocked off by only cones. Most, but not all, heavy equipment was gone from the construction site. All lights and signs are in place, and are unlit and/or shrouded.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »

This morning, the lights at the top of the ramp were flashing yellow (but appear to have been still shrouded) and the raiseable barrier was blinking red as well.

1995hoo

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »

Adam Tuss of Channel 4 tweeted this afternoon that the new ramp will open next week. He didn't say when next week.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »

1995hoo

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 03:25:45 PM »

@VaDOTNOVA

HOV ramp @ Seminary will open 1/11 for PM commute! Ramp is only for HOV-3+ & buses and will follow existing HOV reversal schedule.

1995hoo

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »

We got a bit of a look at the new ramp as we passed by on Van Dorn this morning. The BGS just says "Seminary Rd" and has a center-mounted exit tab that says "HOV EXIT." I didn't see anything there indicating that it's always HOV-restricted. There was a small sign underneath the gore-point exit sign that said something about HOV, but we were too far away to be able to read it and we didn't turn onto Seminary to see what the signs going the other way say.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »

I didn't see anything there indicating that it's always HOV-restricted.

Probably not needed currently, since that ramp is only open during HOV hours, and is on the stretch of lanes that are HOV only during those hours.

1995hoo

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »

Ah, I didn't realize it was closed at other hours. Thanks.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

Probably not needed currently, since that ramp is only open during HOV hours, and is on the stretch of lanes that are HOV only during those hours.

I think it was mentioned in another thread, but it is worth repeating that the plan is for that ramp to be open to HOV-3 traffic (and buses) even after Transurban converts the "free" HOV lanes along I-395 from Turkeycock Run to the Pentagon or to the Potomac River to HOV/Toll operation. 

In other words, paying SOV and HOV-2 traffic will not be allowed use of this ramp even when the rest of the reversible lanes in the middle of I-395 are HOV/Toll.  Wonder if that will "stick?"
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »

I recall that too, and I still wonder if the ramp will require E-ZPass Flex. That is, you can be an HOV and still pay the toll if you don't get the Flex (say, like me, you never have three people). I assume they intend to restrict it to the Flex.

1995hoo

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 11:18:25 AM »

Came in to work late today due to a dental appointment, so I took the I-395 HOV (no HOV restriction due to federal holiday, though it was after 10:00 anyway). Contrary to what froggie says, the Seminary ramp is open at all times if the lanes are open. There was no barrier blocking anyone from exiting. There's only one BGS for it and it doesn't mention the all-times HOV rule. There are two portable VMS units as you go down the hill past the shopping mall and they both say the ramp is "HOV 3+ ONLY," though they do not say all times. The white sign at the gore point that I saw from Van Dorn says "HOV 3+ ONLY 24 HOURS," with the "24 HOURS" in tiny print.

I think they could definitely do a better job of signing this restriction. A white banner of the sort on the Beltway's Inner Loop BGSs approaching I-66 would probably do the job quite well. 

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »

Contrary to what froggie says, the Seminary ramp is open at all times if the lanes are open.

That's a change from what I had previously read...

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 02:28:49 PM »

Came in to work late today due to a dental appointment, so I took the I-395 HOV (no HOV restriction due to federal holiday, though it was after 10:00 anyway). Contrary to what froggie says, the Seminary ramp is open at all times if the lanes are open. There was no barrier blocking anyone from exiting. There's only one BGS for it and it doesn't mention the all-times HOV rule. There are two portable VMS units as you go down the hill past the shopping mall and they both say the ramp is "HOV 3+ ONLY," though they do not say all times. The white sign at the gore point that I saw from Van Dorn says "HOV 3+ ONLY 24 HOURS," with the "24 HOURS" in tiny print.

I think they could definitely do a better job of signing this restriction. A white banner of the sort on the Beltway's Inner Loop BGSs approaching I-66 would probably do the job quite well.

I believe part of the reason for this might be the way funding was allocated for the ramp.  The ramp funds were for an HOV project, so it must only be HOV.

Of course, it would be silly to enforce this restriction.  [It is also silly to force all HOV's who do not want to pay toll and all SOVs willing to pay tolls to transfer out of the express lanes at Turkeycock.]

The ramp should follow whatever restrictions the express lanes have.  Currently, HOV only during rush - all others during non-rush only in the predominant direction.  In the future, HO/T lanes open to toll with an EZ-Pass or HOV3 with EZ-Pass Flex.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »

Alexandria is considering a road diet on King Street:

http://alexandriava.gov/localmotion/info/default.aspx?id=86423

and on North Van Dorn Street:

http://www.alexandriava.gov/localmotion/info/default.aspx?id=88173

Both would involve removing vehicle lanes and expanding pedestrian and on-road bicycle facilities.

1995hoo

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »

People definitely try to go too fast on that stretch of North Van Dorn, especially around the sharp curve to the right after the apartments on the left heading north.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:58 PM »

Alexandria has removed a slip lead, which had led from eastbound on Menokin Drive onto southbound North Van Dorn Street. It's part of a larger "Complete Streets" program for North Van Dorn, which will result in North Van Dorn between Braddock and Menokin being shrunk from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, and the installation of center turn lanes (where necessary) and protected bike lanes.

Before and after:

https://goo.gl/maps/xsPdirFYekL2

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/arlington-to-request-ownership-of-part-of-state-route-237/

Arlington Seeks to Own Part of State Route 237

Arlington County wants to own State Route 237 (Fairfax Drive/10th St. North) from roughly Ballston to Courthouse.

The County Board voted at its July 18, 2017 meeting to request that the Commonwealth transfer ownership of the stretch of road to Arlington. If approved, the move would put 6.61 lane miles from the state route’s intersection with North Glebe Road to its intersection with North Barton Street under Arlington’s control.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/arlington-to-request-ownership-of-part-of-state-route-237/

Arlington County wants to own State Route 237 (Fairfax Drive/10th St. North) from roughly Ballston to Courthouse.

The County Board voted at its July 18, 2017 meeting to request that the Commonwealth transfer ownership of the stretch of road to Arlington. If approved, the move would put 6.61 lane miles from the state route’s intersection with North Glebe Road to its intersection with North Barton Street under Arlington’s control.

Why not?  It's not very well signed as a state primary network highway (and last time I was rode by the area, there was no mention at all of VA-237 at the reconstructed interchange at U.S. 50 (Arlington Boulevard)).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:15:13 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

WillWeaverRVA

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:04 PM
    • WillWeaverRVA Photography
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

Why not?  It's not very well signed as a state primary network highway (and last time I was rode by the area, there was no mention at all of VA-237 at the reconstructed interchange at U.S. 50 (Arlington Boulevard).

VA 237 doesn't really go anywhere in particular so I wouldn't be upset if VDOT just decommissioned the whole thing (reverting those parts not in cities or Arlington County to secondary status). Or truncate it to VA 7 in Falls Church.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

VA 237 doesn't really go anywhere in particular so I wouldn't be upset if VDOT just decommissioned the whole thing (reverting those parts not in cities or Arlington County to secondary status). Or truncate it to VA 7 in Falls Church.

My  personal preference would be to retain the Washington Boulevard section from U.S. 29 north of Falls Church to VA-120 (North Glebe Road), because that's an important alternate route to U.S. 29 for trucks (most of which may not use U.S. 50 (weight restrictions mean no trucks over 8 tons gross) and may  not use I-66 (no trucks at all from I-495 to the Rosslyn Tunnel)).

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2017, 09:15:58 AM »

Alexandria Sets Ambitious Goal: No Traffic Deaths Or Serious Injuries By 2028

https://wamu.org/story/17/11/08/alexandria-sets-ambitious-goal-no-traffic-deaths-serious-injuries-2028/

On Wednesday city leaders are expected to unveil Alexandria’ two-year action plan, a series of initiatives aimed at re-engineering streets to slow down cars, enforcing traffic laws, and educating all road users to be alert at all times.

A section of King Street was reconfigured in 2016 to make it safer for pedestrians. The number and width of traffic lanes were reduced, and the speed limit was dropped from 35 to 25 mph. Safety advocates said the results are impressive: zero crashes in the first year after the re-configuration, compared to seven crashes annually in the decade prior.

I don't know how anyone can argue with those results. I've driven and biked that stretch of King (between TC Williams and Scroggins), and the difference is like night and day.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »

A road has been closed in Crystal City, part of the county's efforts to remove most (if not all) of the flyovers and ramps built in Crystal City in the 1960s. The road in this case is the elevated portion of South Clark Street.

The photo in the linked article does not show the closure, but I was up there the other day and can confirmed it is closed-off with cones. Perhaps I will be able to get a demolition photo.

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/02/05/end-of-the-road-for-elevated-portion-of-s-clark-street/

davewiecking

• Last Login: Today at 05:12:30 AM
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »

A road has been closed in Crystal City, part of the county's efforts to remove most (if not all) of the flyovers and ramps built in Crystal City in the 1960s. The road in this case is the elevated portion of South Clark Street.

Actually, those to-be-removed bridges along S. Clark St were built in 1986-7. The 1960's Shirley Highway work stopped after the bridge for US-1 (planned to be I-595) over 12th St, leaving US-1 thru Crystal City as a 4 lane road with no turn lanes for another 2 decades. It is correct that this section of Clark Street saw very little use. Makes me wonder what happened to the VHS tapes from my dashboard-mounted video camera of the 80's widening work.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 11:46:13 PM »

Actually, those to-be-removed bridges along S. Clark St were built in 1986-7. The 1960's Shirley Highway work stopped after the bridge for US-1 (planned to be I-595) over 12th St, leaving US-1 thru Crystal City as a 4 lane road with no turn lanes for another 2 decades. It is correct that this section of Clark Street saw very little use. Makes me wonder what happened to the VHS tapes from my dashboard-mounted video camera of the 80's widening work.

On my website I have these dates for the completions --
-- Shirley Highway reconstruction segment between Washington Blvd. and 14th Street Bridge, including 0.4 mile of unsigned I-595 -- completion 1975 (built 1972-75)
-- US-1 six lane arterial reconstruction between unsigned I-595 and Glebe Road -- completion 1988.

The segment of unsigned I-595 was subsequently removed from the Interstate system.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:25:38 AM by Beltway »
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.