AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Corridor H  (Read 564894 times)

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:55:53 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: Corridor H
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2010, 08:06:41 AM »

Mitch Daniels also convinced the Indiana Legislature to "cash in" on the Indiana Toll Road to the tune of $3.85 billion.  That, in no small part, is what's paying for the I-69 extension.  West Virginia, meanwhile, is relying largely on ADHS funding to pay for Corridor H.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »

Mitch Daniels also convinced the Indiana Legislature to "cash in" on the Indiana Toll Road to the tune of $3.85 billion.  That, in no small part, is what's paying for the I-69 extension.  West Virginia, meanwhile, is relying largely on ADHS funding to pay for Corridor H.

This is true, and of course I knew that. And I sincerely doubt that West Virginia could get that much for the WV Turnpike.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dave19

• Last Login: January 13, 2017, 09:46:06 PM
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »

I was up that way again a couple weeks ago.  Grading and bridgework continues in the vicinity of Scherr, which is now visible on Google Maps satellite imagery.  No work begun yet on the future bridges over WV 93 or CR 1 on the north side.  The middle bridge over CR 1 is well underway, with most (if not all) of the steel girders in place, which the bridge deck is mostly complete on the southern bridge over CR 1.

Earthwork has begun on the west side of CR 3, but no work yet connecting all the way to the section near Scherr (described above).

Base paving has begun between CR 3 and CR 5.  Too early to tell whether this will be asphalt or concrete, though given they hope to have it completed this fall, it will likely be asphalt.

Paving of the interchange at CR 5 is complete and signs have also been posted (and covered by black plastic bags).  All asphalt.

Mainline paving between CR 5 and the Potomac River bridge is mostly complete.  The main lanes are concrete.  The shoulders will likely be asphalt, but paving of these has not begun yet, nor have the connections to the side roads been completed yet.  One weird aspect along here is the runaway truck ramp just west of CR 220/8.  The central part of the runaway ramp is also paved in concrete, something I've never seen before with a runaway truck ramp.

I saw no reason why they couldn't push to complete this Forman-to-Moorefield leg and have it open by Labor Day.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »

Passed through yesterday on my way back from Spruce Knob.

- Looks like between CR 3 and CR 5 will be concrete, though the immediate CR 5 interchange area is asphalt as noted before.

- About half the signs between Forman and Moorefield are posted, including a few US 48 reassurance shields and signs for an eastbound "Mandatory Truck Stop" at the top of Patterson Creek Mountain, for what is roughly a 3-mile-long 6% grade.

- Work is underway on paving the approach roads at intersections.

Still see no reason why they couldn't push to have Forman-to-Moorefield open by Labor Day.

Bryant5493

• Southern Roadgeek

• Last Login: April 03, 2020, 11:52:52 PM
    • Southern Roadgeek
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »

WV-55/WV-259 West. Wardensville to Moorefield, WV

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

ShawnP

• Last Login: December 30, 2018, 12:48:31 AM
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »

Speaking of selling. Would any Kentucky residents be in favor of adding tolls back on the old toll roads then selling them to raise money for major upgrades needed around the Commonwealth. For instance six laning 64 Louisville to Lexington, six laning 71 Louisville to Cinncinnati, completing 75 and 65 upgrading, building a true road from Cinncinnati to Ashland, reviving 66 across southern Kentucky, upgrading Mountain parkway and all other parkways to Interstate standards. A lot of money but so, so much better infrastructure.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »

WV-55/WV-259 West. Wardensville to Moorefield, WV

Be well,

Bryant

I like this music better:

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/videos/WV_Corridor_H.mp4

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »

Apparently, WVDOH is combining and accelerating projects to where the Davis-to-Bismark segment (generally along WV 93) will be under contract beginning this fall and could be completed in 2013...5 years ahead of schedule and about the same timeframe that Bismark-to-Forman is expected to be completed.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

Apparently, WVDOH is combining and accelerating projects to where the Davis-to-Bismark segment (generally along WV 93) will be under contract beginning this fall and could be completed in 2013...5 years ahead of schedule and about the same timeframe that Bismark-to-Forman is expected to be completed.

For the most part, all that's needed along that portion is to build another carriageway alongside existing WV 93.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »

As a general rule, from about a half mile east of WV 32 to about a half mile west of the dam, that is more or less the plan, though the shapefile suggests some curves would be smoothed/straightened out.  From the dam east would be off-alignment, starting with a new bridge about a third of a mile downriver from the dam.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »

Someone I know tweeted about this one...it's a partial set of plans from WVDOH for the soon-to-open segment from Forman to Moorefield, including signage plans at the CR 5 interchange at Forman.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »

Someone I know tweeted about this one...it's a partial set of plans from WVDOH for the soon-to-open segment from Forman to Moorefield, including signage plans at the CR 5 interchange at Forman.

Two observations:

1.) US 48 is the signed route. WVDOH ought to go ahead and sign the entire corridor, including the existing WV 93 and US 219 two-lane connecting segments.

2.) No Clearview. All the new signage I've seen in West Virginia lately uses Clearview.

LeftyJR

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 08:07:39 AM
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »

Two observations:

1.) US 48 is the signed route. WVDOH ought to go ahead and sign the entire corridor, including the existing WV 93 and US 219 two-lane connecting segments.

2.) No Clearview. All the new signage I've seen in West Virginia lately uses Clearview.

It doesn't mean that Clearview won't show up anyway!

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »

There's no reason it can't be signed east of Moorefield today.  The problem with the segment soon-to-open is that you'd have to make the connection to WV 42 via CR 5 or CR 3...the former is a decent route comparable to a state highway, but that'll leave a 3 mile spur.  The latter avoids the spur, but CR 3 is barely paved and isn't even close to being a route that could handle traffic.

Might just be easier to wait until ca. 2013 to sign US 48 west of Moorefield, at which point I'd agree with signing it along WV 93 and WV 32 to Davis, ending at US 219 there.

Probably because these plans date from 2002, before Clearview became used en masse...

dave19

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »

Froggie, can that shapefile be viewed online somewhere?

Links to local media stories on the subject:
http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=86311
http://theintermountain.com/page/content.detail/id/532285.html?nav=5014

I'm thinking that once Corridor H is completed up to WV 42, WV 93 can be returned to its pre-1962 terminus at Scherr and that US 48 replaces 93 between WV routes 42 and 32...

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »

Which shapefile?

dave19

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:11 PM »

As a general rule, from about a half mile east of WV 32 to about a half mile west of the dam, that is more or less the plan, though the shapefile suggests some curves would be smoothed/straightened out.  From the dam east would be off-alignment, starting with a new bridge about a third of a mile downriver from the dam.

The one mentioned in the above quoted post. Thanks!

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 11:07:31 PM »

That's WVDOH's "all routes" shapefile.  I think it's downloadable from the WVDOT website, but I don't remember offhand where I got it.  Requires having a viewer that can read shapefiles.

ShawnP

• Last Login: December 30, 2018, 12:48:31 AM
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »

Corridor H very nice from Weston to east of Elkins. As we all know it ends east of there but is actually straighter and better built than I-79 west of there. One question any one notice that at the US-219 interchange that the bridges not used yet are very, very narrow almost super 2 like?

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »

On the really long bridges (such as on WV 55 east of Moorefield), WVDOT has typically built a 4ft shoulder instead of the "standard" 10ft.

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »

That's WVDOH's "all routes" shapefile.  I think it's downloadable from the WVDOT website, but I don't remember offhand where I got it.  Requires having a viewer that can read shapefiles.

Might know where on WVDOH's site I can find that?  I want to be ready when they open a new segment of Corridor H (because it's going to be posted as US-48, right? ;)).

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »

I don't remember offhand where I got it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:01:17 PM by Scott5114 »

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2010, 09:59:59 PM »

I just mentioned it incase you ever remembered. ;)

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »

Forman to Moorefield is pretty much wrapped up.  Paving is done, striping is done...all that I saw left was a few signs needed posting.  WVDOH also updated all the Corridor H statuses, and they're anticipating opening it up between Moorefield and CR 3 by the end of the month.  They note that the segment between CR 5 and CR 3 will be for "local traffic only", this probably due to the narrowness and generally poor condition of CR 3.

Also noted that the WV State Police are actively patrolling the new segment and giving tickets to people who are "test driving" it now before the opening.  At least 4 cars driving on the new road were pulled over during the 3 hours I was in the area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.