AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware  (Read 152702 times)

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
Re: Re: Delaware
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »

I just saw the US 301 video, and that gives me reason to believe that it will eventually connect to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It would make a great route for those who wish to avoid Baltimore and Washington.

Wasn't US 301 lucky to be built to the standard it's at in Maryland as it is?  The locals wanted nothing to do with a freeway IIRC, I don't see Maryland's portion being upgraded anytime soon.  It doesn't seem to need an upgrade anyway.
👉😎👉

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »

I just saw the US 301 video, and that gives me reason to believe that it will eventually connect to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It would make a great route for those who wish to avoid Baltimore and Washington.

Wasn't US 301 lucky to be built to the standard it's at in Maryland as it is?  The locals wanted nothing to do with a freeway IIRC, I don't see Maryland's portion being upgraded anytime soon.  It doesn't seem to need an upgrade anyway.
As noted above, US 301 is a great connector for Annapolis to Wilmington, or Washington DC to Wilmington via Annapolis. Not only that, US 301 is a good way to go from Washington DC, Annapolis, etc. to the Jersey Shore or New York (via US 40 and US 40 and NJ Turnpike), while dodging I-95, Baltimore, a part of Wilmington, and Philadelphia.

Alex4897

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »

As noted above, US 301 is a great connector for Annapolis to Wilmington, or Washington DC to Wilmington via Annapolis. Not only that, US 301 is a good way to go from Washington DC, Annapolis, etc. to the Jersey Shore or New York (via US 40 and US 40 and NJ Turnpike), while dodging I-95, Baltimore, a part of Wilmington, and Philadelphia.

It's a good connector, sure, that doesn't mean traffic counts justify upgrades in Maryland.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »

How does one dodge Wilmington & Philly on 301 when 301 never reaches those cities?

noelbotevera

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »

How does one dodge Wilmington & Philly on 301 when 301 never reaches those cities?
Use US 40 at the end of US 301 (I did not quite explain that well). However, now you've got the Delaware Memorial Bridge to deal with.

Alex4897

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 11:04:37 PM »

Replace US 202 with US 301!!!11
[/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:09:03 PM by Alex4897 »
👉😎👉

noelbotevera

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »

Replace US 202 with US 301!!!11
[/sarcasm]
That's a great idea!!!
le sarcasm

Being serious, I'm pretty sure a freeway upgrade would not be needed yet, but if needed, a portion between US 50 and MD 300 (about 20 miles) could be freeway. MD 300 and some backroads past the Delaware line take you to US 13.

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: April 26, 2021, 12:13:44 PM
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »

It'd be nice if there was a more major route that allowed you to jump from to US 301 from US 13 in the Dover area and vice-versa, but there's not really a need for it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 01:18:38 AM »

DelDOT put together a flyover animation of the US 301 tollway, similar to the one they did for the DE 1 / I-95 interchange.

http://www.delawareonline.com/videos/news/2015/07/24/30619501/
I'd just be happy if they expanded US 301 into Pennsylvania and made US 1 the northern terminus again.

TravelingBethelite

• My way IS the highway.

• Last Login: April 01, 2022, 12:08:57 PM
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »

DelDOT put together a flyover animation of the US 301 tollway, similar to the one they did for the DE 1 / I-95 interchange.

I'd just be happy if they expanded US 301 into Pennsylvania and made US 1 the northern terminus again.
If this [scenario] happened, would the southern terminus remain the same?  :hmmm:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »

If this [scenario] happened, would the southern terminus remain the same?  :hmmm:
Hmm, good point. The only scenario I could think of for that would be expanding in a multiplex with US 41 down to Miami, but that would be a useless multiplex... unless perhaps you branch it off somewhere else before the terminus of US 41.

:-/

Alex4897

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:03 PM »

If we're talking about a freeway extension into PA, only going to US 1 would only help half the corridor. Going all the way to Lancaster and connecting to US 30 would be far more beneficial.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »

Maybe the only significant project would be at Interchange 3, and that's not going to happen for several years.  So DelDOT can freely spend the 95 toll money around on non-95 related projects for awhile.

This is being discussed, however it's being tied more to the DE 273 / Harmony Road intersection improvements as opposed to being its own entity.
👉😎👉

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 01:45:43 AM
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 01:26:18 PM »

I see that at the State Line there will be no connection to the existing US 301 (which will be former US 301 when completed) as all traffic will default onto the toll road, but existing US 301 will stop at Strawberry Lane which will have a grade separation to US 301 without any kind of interchange.

To shunpike one will have to leave US 301 in Maryland at the last intersection and go through Warwick and pick up DE 299 as going beyond the last NB intersection will only lead you to the toll road.

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not FHWA require for a US route to be tolled to have a free alternate route?  Like with US 412 in Oklahoma, you have US 64 and US 412 Alternate where the us route becomes two of its turnpikes, plus in Kansas its the only reason why US 81 was not turned over to local control south of Wichita where in Kansas US routes paralleling freeways are moved over onto the better quality roadway, but south of Wichita the I-35 freeway is tolled so US 81 leaves the freeway system just south of the KTA toll barrier on I-135.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »

I see that at the State Line there will be no connection to the existing US 301 (which will be former US 301 when completed) as all traffic will default onto the toll road, but existing US 301 will stop at Strawberry Lane which will have a grade separation to US 301 without any kind of interchange.

To shunpike one will have to leave US 301 in Maryland at the last intersection and go through Warwick and pick up DE 299 as going beyond the last NB intersection will only lead you to the toll road.

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not FHWA require for a US route to be tolled to have a free alternate route?  Like with US 412 in Oklahoma, you have US 64 and US 412 Alternate where the us route becomes two of its turnpikes, plus in Kansas its the only reason why US 81 was not turned over to local control south of Wichita where in Kansas US routes paralleling freeways are moved over onto the better quality roadway, but south of Wichita the I-35 freeway is tolled so US 81 leaves the freeway system just south of the KTA toll barrier on I-135.

US 1, US 13 & US 40 are all alternative routes within close proximity with US 301. 

roadman65

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »

US 1, US 13 & US 40 are all alternative routes within close proximity with US 301. 
Not directly.  If you are coming through or from Annapolis and the Bay Bridge, US 1, US 13, or US 40 do you no good.  I am talking about directly like US 64 is to US 412 in OK.  Even if MD 213 was still US 213, as close as it is, it is not directly connected to the ends of the toll road.

If you build a connector to the soon to be old US 301, then you have it.  However, plans show for all MD traffic crossing the state line all having to pay toll as the existing US 301 two lane road will end at Strawberry Lane, and Strawberry Lane will have an overpass over the new US 301 with no ramps.  Even DE 299 from Warwick, MD will become west side frontage road to US 301 and have to zig zag over another E-W road to get to the current road into Middletown.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 08:37:07 AM »

Not directly.  If you are coming through or from Annapolis and the Bay Bridge, US 1, US 13, or US 40 do you no good.  I am talking about directly like US 64 is to US 412 in OK.  Even if MD 213 was still US 213, as close as it is, it is not directly connected to the ends of the toll road.

If you build a connector to the soon to be old US 301, then you have it.  However, plans show for all MD traffic crossing the state line all having to pay toll as the existing US 301 two lane road will end at Strawberry Lane, and Strawberry Lane will have an overpass over the new US 301 with no ramps.  Even DE 299 from Warwick, MD will become west side frontage road to US 301 and have to zig zag over another E-W road to get to the current road into Middletown.
First thing to remember...is there actually any rule regarding a toll-free US option, or are we in urban-legend territory here?  In all the reports I've heard about the US 301 toll project in Delaware, making sure a toll-free US route option is available has never come up.  Being that the studying of this project
is no less than 6 or 7 years old, that would've been something that should have already been considered.

US 13 is fairly close to the proposed US 301 routing much of its length.  If you want to say that there's no US route near the DE/MD state line of US 301, there are other roads in that area that can be redesigned as a US route to satisfy the requirement, if such requirement exists.

(Edited to fix bad placement of the end quote brackets)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:30:48 AM by jeffandnicole »

iBallasticwolf2

• :/

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:28:04 PM
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »

First thing to remember...is there actually any rule regarding a toll-free US option, or are we in urban-legend territory here?  In all the reports I've heard about the US 301 toll project in Delaware, making sure a toll-free US route option is available has never come up.  Being that the studying of this project

is no less than 6 or 7 years old, that would've been something that should have already been considered.

US 13 is fairly close to the proposed US 301 routing much of its length.  If you want to say that there's no US route near the DE/MD state line of US 301, there are other roads in that area that can be redesigned as a US route to satisfy the requirement, if such requirement exists.
I would personally see it fit to build a connector and designate that and old US 301 US 301 Alt. Although wouldn't it be a spur?
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

ekt8750

• Last Login: October 04, 2022, 11:27:52 AM
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »

I would personally see it fit to build a connector and designate that and old US 301 US 301 Alt. Although wouldn't it be a spur?

US Routes don't have spurs. Alts, Trucks and Business routes but no spurs. A 3DUS technically counts as a spur off a 2DUS.

iBallasticwolf2

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »

US Routes don't have spurs. Alts, Trucks and Business routes but no spurs. A 3DUS technically counts as a spur off a 2DUS.

I was thinking that. It wouldn't really connect up back with the US 301 proper since US 301 would be ending at DE 1.

Alex4897

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »

Or we could not, because the current plans are sufficient and you're just drawing lines on a map for the sake of it looking good.  There's literally a diamond interchange that ties into the old roadway just a mile (if that) up the road, have you even looked at the maps?
👉😎👉

iBallasticwolf2

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »

Or we could not, because the current plans are sufficient and you're just drawing lines on a map for the sake of it looking good.  There's literally a diamond interchange that ties into the old roadway just a mile (if that) up the road, have you even looked at the maps?
You know what? I'm not going to try to argue with you. You win. I am just going to shut up now.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »

I took a look at the maps, and the proposed Delaware tolls are much like those that were set-up on the Delaware Turnpike when it opened in 1963 - a main toll barrier just inside the Maryland border, and then ramp tolls (in both directions) at the interchanges beyond, so traffic not headed to or from Maryland must pay.

When the bonds for this project are paid-off, does this suddenly turn into another Delaware Turnpike, with all tolls collected at the border toll barrier?

There does not appear to be any way for traffic to exit the road in Delaware in order to avoid the tolls.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 08:23:27 PM »

(Edited to fix bad placement of the end quote brackets)
If they did MD 282 and DE 299 would have to fit that bill.

Anyway Jeff, you are talking about non road geeks who do not think like us.  Yes you and I to shunpike the tolls would use MD 282 and DE 299 or simply cut over to MD 213 to head to US 40 or I-95, but a non road geek would cry and say its difficult.  Wait and see when it opens when some have to start shelling out money that they did not before.  I heard it when they tolled FL 528 near the Orlando International Airport back in 1982, as for years it was free.  People did not understand that, although longer, it does have a toll bypass using the newly aligned McCoy Road, so only the upgrade from arterial to freeway got tolled in reality, but being the 528 moniker got shifted and the fact the toll freeway sits on top of the old four lane McCoy Road people did not see the difference.

IMO, wait till the DRTJC starts charging to cross the Delaware River on I-95!  You will hear people rant like mad, especially those who did not attend the regional hearings open to the public where they could have attended and voiced their concerns.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex4897

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »

When the bonds for this project are paid-off, does this suddenly turn into another Delaware Turnpike, with all tolls collected at the border toll barrier?

DelDOT's never indicated their intention to remove tolls when they paid this thing off, which leads me to believe that the tolls are here to stay.

Branching off from that, were DE 1's tolls ever intended to be removed when the road was paid off? Has the road even been fully paid off?
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.