AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: ICC Intercounty Connector  (Read 334940 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Re: ICC Intercounty Connector
« Reply #600 on: January 24, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-traffic-advisories/tolling-system-upgrades-result-temporary-weekend-detours

The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) is implementing its next generation electronic tolling systems, and as part of those upgrades the agency is replacing existing tolling hardware and software at all toll facilities. Work will begin at the Intercounty Connector (ICC/MD 200) in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties the weekend of January 24.
Moving forward, MDTA plans to have crews working on one gantry in each direction of the ICC per weekend.
It doesn't give any details about what the changes accomplish. 

I guess it has to do with the toll modernization plan:
Provisions of the toll reduction package include a new Pay-by-Plate option, effective by June 2020, that allows tolls to be billed to credit cards at the same rate cash customers pay now. For the all-electronic Intercounty Connector/MD 200 and I-95 Express Toll Lanes, customers will pay 20 percent less than the video toll rate. In addition, new vehicle classes with lower rates will be in place by September 2020, providing a 50 percent reduction in tolls for motorcycles and reductions of 25 and 17 percent, respectively, for “light”  vehicles towing one- and two-axle trailers. The package also includes a 15 percent discount for video tolling customers who pay the toll before their invoices are mailed. This payment option will be in place by December 2020.
https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-releases/mdta-board-unanimously-approves-toll-modernization-package-saving

MDTA has swapped out the gantries on the I-95 Express Toll Lanes north of Baltimore.  The new ones are not terribly different from what was there before, save for the lighting systems, which are not on at all times, and appear to be some sort of matrix of LEDs.  The E-ZPass readers are similar to what was there before, though they have a slightly different look from the old ones. This is related to upgrading of all electronic toll collection systems on all of Maryland's toll roads (not sure if they readers on the HWN Bridge on U.S. 301 will be upgraded or not, since the entire bridge will be replaced with a new one with all-electronic toll collection).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »

MDTA has swapped out the gantries on the I-95 Express Toll Lanes north of Baltimore.  The new ones are not terribly different from what was there before, save for the lighting systems, which are not on at all times, and appear to be some sort of matrix of LEDs.  The E-ZPass readers are similar to what was there before, though they have a slightly different look from the old ones. This is related to upgrading of all electronic toll collection systems on all of Maryland's toll roads (not sure if they readers on the HWN Bridge on U.S. 301 will be upgraded or not, since the entire bridge will be replaced with a new one with all-electronic toll collection).

I saw the new toll collection hardware in place last night, as they were wrapping-up the work (MD-200 westbound between MD-650 and MD-182).  The gantry structure itself is not changed,
but the overhead equipment looks just like what MDTA installed on the I-95 Express Toll Lanes
north of Baltimore including LED arrays that are always lit facing the front and rear of
passing traffic.  It appeared to take them about 48 hours to get the work done (but they
may have been disrupted and delayed by the heavy rain that fell Friday night and Saturday
morning).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #602 on: December 04, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »

So, this might've been answered long ago far back in this thread, but I'll ask here in case not... why doesn't MD 200 have control cities?  Just "To 270" and "To 95"?  Why not use Gaithersburg and Laurel in addition to the interstates?

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #603 on: December 04, 2020, 02:19:54 PM »

So, this might've been answered long ago far back in this thread, but I'll ask here in case not... why doesn't MD 200 have control cities?  Just "To 270" and "To 95"?  Why not use Gaithersburg and Laurel in addition to the interstates?
That's what the main concept was for the ICC:  Getting people from one side to the other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:24:20 PM
« Reply #604 on: December 04, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »

That's what the main concept was for the ICC:  Getting people from one side to the other.

On a related note, I'm somewhat surprised there isn't signage on I-270 and other roads near the west end promoting MD 200 as a route to BWI (especially since I seem to recall this being a selling point by officials during design/construction).  There's this sign approaching the MD 97 interchange once you're already heading east on MD 200, but seems like a missed opportunity by MD to further advertise taking their state-owned toll road (thru MDTA) to their state-owned airport (thru MAA).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

« Reply #605 on: December 05, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »

On a related note, I'm somewhat surprised there isn't signage on I-270 and other roads near the west end promoting MD 200 as a route to BWI (especially since I seem to recall this being a selling point by officials during design/construction).  There's this sign approaching the MD 97 interchange once you're already heading east on MD 200, but seems like a missed opportunity by MD to further advertise taking their state-owned toll road (thru MDTA) to their state-owned airport (thru MAA).

I think there has been an assumption that persons headed to BWI in the MD-200 know about it and its associated savings in travel time.

famartin

« Reply #606 on: December 05, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »

I think there has been an assumption that persons headed to BWI in the MD-200 know about it and its associated savings in travel time.

Possibly, but on a related note, I always found it odd that they direct people heading to BWI from the east side of the Beltway onto the BW Parkway (while from the west side, they are directed to I-95).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #607 on: December 06, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »

Possibly, but on a related note, I always found it odd that they direct people heading to BWI from the east side of the Beltway onto the BW Parkway (while from the west side, they are directed to I-95).

Shorter distance from the Outer Loop Capital Beltway to BWI when approaching the Baltimore Washington Parkway to take the parkway, but not a choice I would make, given that even small incidents on this mostly four lane divided road (mostly 2 lanes each way) can result in very long backups. 

And there is recurring congestion on the parkway just about every day of the week at Powder Mill Road and at MD-32.  Combine that with fairly long distances between interchanges (3 miles from MD-193 to Powder Mill; 3.5 miles from MD-197 to MD-198; 3.3 miles from MD-32 to MD-175; and 3.9 miles from MD-100 to I-195) which means that many drivers can be stuck behind an incident for a long period of time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:41:49 PM by cpzilliacus »

famartin

« Reply #608 on: December 06, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »

Shorter distance from the Outer Loop Capital Beltway to BWI when approaching the Baltimore Washington Parkway to take the parkway, but not a choice I would make, given that even small incidents on this mostly four lane divided road (mostly 2 lanes each way) can result in very long backups. 

And there is recurring congestion on the parkway just about every day of the week at Powder Mill Road and at MD-32.  Combine that with fairly long distances between interchanges (3 miles from MD-193 to Powder Mill; 3.5 miles from MD-197 to MD-198; 3.3 miles from MD-32 to MD-175; and 3.9 miles from MD-100 to I-195) which means that many drivers can be stuck behind an incident for a long period of time.

Exactly my points, but also, trucks can't use it from the Beltway either (and I imagine at least some traffic heading there is trucks with cargo).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #609 on: December 07, 2020, 05:05:01 AM »

Exactly my points, but also, trucks can't use it from the Beltway either (and I imagine at least some traffic heading there is trucks with cargo).

Trucks (except trucks that display federal government registration plates) cannot use the B-W Parkway from U.S. 50/MD-201 to MD-175.  Many truck drivers, using cheap GPS units that are intended for cars, use the parkway these days, and if caught by the U.S. Park Police, it's a modest federal ticket.  Unlike the parkways in New York City and nearby areas of Long Island, the overpasses on the B-W Parkway are high enough for commercial vehicles (including double-deck Megabuses) so bridge strikes are not an issue.

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 07:28:25 PM
« Reply #610 on: December 07, 2020, 07:06:51 PM »

Trucks (except trucks that display federal government registration plates) cannot use the B-W Parkway from U.S. 50/MD-201 to MD-175.  Many truck drivers, using cheap GPS units that are intended for cars, use the parkway these days, and if caught by the U.S. Park Police, it's a modest federal ticket.  Unlike the parkways in New York City and nearby areas of Long Island, the overpasses on the B-W Parkway are high enough for commercial vehicles (including double-deck Megabuses) so bridge strikes are not an issue.

Large coaches/buses aren’t supposed to use that segment of the Parkway either, and I’ve spotted a few operators that take the chance anyway. It is still uncommon to see trucks or buses using the Parkway though.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #611 on: December 10, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »

Large coaches/buses aren’t supposed to use that segment of the Parkway either, and I’ve spotted a few operators that take the chance anyway. It is still uncommon to see trucks or buses using the Parkway though.

Any bus that is "street legal" can use the federal part of Baltimore-Washington Parkway, including Megabus double-deck units, Greyhound, Peter Pan, charters (and other buses).  There have been less buses operating of late due to COVID19, but I suspect that the bus traffic will bounce back quickly if the pandemic is brought under control.

Trucks (excluding trucks used as personal vehicles) are not allowed on the federal part of the B-W Parkway unless they have federal registration plates (generally USPS or DoD trucks).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.