AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Grade separation  (Read 16511 times)

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
Grade separation
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:14:33 AM »

In the 20 year plan for Route 40 thru Delaware it shows planned grade interchanges at some very interesting spots, I would like to see deldot pull this off. http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/rt40/pages/20_phase_3.shtml
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
Re: Grade separation
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 03:25:43 AM »

In the 20 year plan for Route 40 thru Delaware it shows planned grade interchanges at some very interesting spots, I would like to see deldot pull this off. http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/rt40/pages/20_phase_3.shtml

The actual linked page is actually very old - the 20 year study/plan is for 2000-2020.  If you click around within the report you'll get to a 2017 report, which shows what was done, what's been put on hold or discarded completely, and what new projects have come about.

For example, the 13/40 grade separation doesn't appear to have any traction whatsoever and has been dropped completely.  However, separating 40 and 896; not mentioned in the original 2000 report, is a key infrastructure improvement of the updated 2017 report.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »

The actual linked page is actually very old - the 20 year study/plan is for 2000-2020.  If you click around within the report you'll get to a 2017 report, which shows what was done, what's been put on hold or discarded completely, and what new projects have come about.

For example, the 13/40 grade separation doesn't appear to have any traction whatsoever and has been dropped completely.  However, separating 40 and 896; not mentioned in the original 2000 report, is a key infrastructure improvement of the updated 2017 report.
896 was mean to be a highway and 40 grade separated. The fact that they didn't realize traffic would be a problem from busy Newark, the 40 corridor and middletown shocks me. Also residents fought the building of the 896 interchange which was gonna connect to 95 via exit 2 but it was cancelled because of guess who  :pan: and the land around it was used for part of glasgow park and other bullshit.

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »

If you mean http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/rt40/recent_news.shtml , it only shows news as recent as 2013.  Would you like to tell us where to click?

Or am I getting warmer if I go to http://deldot.gov/information/projects/rt40/index.shtml ?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »

The
I see a lot of grade interchanges planned for 40, also SR 13 corridor would be an interesting build, a highway alll the way to new castle would be very good & bad.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »

Or am I getting warmer if I go to http://deldot.gov/information/projects/rt40/index.shtml ?

ixnay

That may have been it. I did find one page that was supposedly updated Dec. 1, 2017, so I may have looked at a wrong date somewhere. If I find what I thought was a Jan. 2017 report I saw, I'll post it.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »

The project home page (same link as ixnay's) looks to be the source of the screen captures Tony posted last night, and also looks like it was updated last August.

Status of an interchange at 40/896 is unclear.  One section says it's in final design, while another says it's "on hold".  And the interchange project link (the page Jeff found that says it was updated "12/1/2017", also says they've just begun the NEPA phase for the project.

It should also be noted that what's being currently planned at 40/7 isn't an interchange or grade separation but instead intersection pedestrian improvements.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »

The proposed implementation of the FY18 - FY23 Capital Transportation Plan pegs a US 40 / DE 896 interchange commencing construction in FY22, with prep design work and ROW acquisition starting now.  This document is a few months old, so I'm not sure how accurate the dates are at this point.  Nonetheless, it's a ballpark estimate.

Also of note is the US 40 from Salem Church to Walther widening project, which has been consistently scoring high on DelDOT's project priority listings, and the US 40 / DE 72 intersection improvements which according to this should be starting really soon.

http://www.deldot.gov/information/pubs_forms/CTP/ctp18-23/FY18-FY23-CTPProposedProjectImplementation.pdf?02242017
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:23:36 AM by Alex4897 »
👉😎👉

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »

The proposed implementation of the FY18 - FY23 Capital Transportation Plan pegs a US 40 / DE 896 interchange commencing construction in FY22, with prep design work and ROW acquisition starting now.  This document is a few months old, so I'm not sure how accurate the dates are at this point.  Nonetheless, it's a ballpark estimate.

Also of note is the US 40 from Salem Church to Walther widening project, which has been consistently scoring high on DelDOT's project priority listings, and the US 40 / DE 72 intersection improvements which according to this should be starting really soon.

http://www.deldot.gov/information/pubs_forms/CTP/ctp18-23/FY18-FY23-CTPProposedProjectImplementation.pdf?02242017
Does it really take 5-7 years to get everything done, i feel like traffic will be worse @273, @896 @harmony road/I-95 because the traffic is already ridiculous. They need to change the way processing construction & ROW goes because all the projects are to slow. Im happy they are finally fixing roads & stuff but just 2-3 years ago nothing was happening. I think the biggest project was the winding of SR1 from U.S40 to SR 273

iPhone

jeffandnicole

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »

For a project that far out, the dates are probably good...they generally don't change schedules every few months.  Delaware does a pretty decent job of keeping up with their time estimates. I'm used to NJDOT scheduling where whatever FY the project is proposed, count on it being pushed back a year or two (or 5 or 10 or....)

Does it really take 5-7 years to get everything done, i feel like traffic will be worse @273, @896 @harmony road/I-95 because the traffic is already ridiculous. They need to change the way processing construction & ROW goes because all the projects are to slow. Im happy they are finally fixing roads & stuff but just 2-3 years ago nothing was happening. I think the biggest project was the winding of SR1 from U.S40 to SR 273

In short, yes.  There's a LOT of behind the scenes stuff that takes place.  Look at it this way: If DOT wanted to build a road and take your house, you won't be pleased.  You'll want as much money as possible.  Negotiations take place.  And so forth.  So the ROW isn't just a matter of buying up land. 

But before that, they need to design the road and the overpass.  They need to figure out what traffic will be like in 25 years.  They need to get an idea of the future building in the area...what will be developed, what the county thinks will happen. They'll want to know travel patterns on 95.  They'll want to know travel patterns on 301.  They'll want to know how much UD will grow.  There's a lot of information to gather.  And based on that, they'll come up with numerous plans to build the overpass.  How many lanes.  How many ramps.  Diamonds...cloverleafs...DDIs...SPUIs...partial Diamonds...and the list goes on.  They'll get public input. 

And public input...that is an eye opener.  You'll have people like yourself saying the project should've been done 5 years ago.  You'll have others saying the project shouldn't be done at all.  Why not better mass transit?  Why not build a train line?  Just add bicycle lanes...that'll resolve the issue.  Everyone is an expert...and they'll gladly tell DelDOT they always do it wrong, and they should do it their way. You'll have homeowners and business owners questioning how much land they're going to take.  Are they going to lose their house?  If they don't take their house, will they have a highway at their front door?  And then there's elected officials, who, imo, get a little more say than they should.  If they are really opinionated one way or another about the project, they could sway DelDOT in a way 100 homeowners feeling the opposite way can't.

So DelDOT has to take all that public comment and decide what the people like the best.  Even if the majority are against the project, DelDOT knows they have to do something.  So they look at the best possible plan with the fewest issues.  It is many times not as simple as just agreeing to something.  That best possible plan may double the estimated cost of the project.  It may encroach on wetlands.   How do they route traffic thru the intersection during construction?  The best laid plans may become stuck in mud if they can't keep traffic maintained thru the project area during construction.

Once all of that is decided on, then they have to start with the ROW process.

If you're still reading this...remember, this goes on for every single project they want to execute.  Even a simple traffic light can take years.  Because if your house is on that corner, and they tell you they need 40 feet of your yard to build a few extra lanes, and light poles will be shining in your house, are you going to be happy about it?  Probably not.

And finally, remember...you are looking at this project thru blinders...you probably travel this intersection and see it as your biggest headache.  DelDOT had to deal with hundreds of headaches throughout the state, and they have to decide which ones they want to tackle soonest.  I seriously doubt DelDOT's biggest project a few years back was a minor widening on Route 1...which shows just how much work they are doing around the state which you aren't even aware of.  A few years back, when you said they were doing nothing, they were rebuilding that 95/1 interchange.  They were doing work in Kent and Sussex counties.  They were planning on the 301 Bypass.  They were rebuilding the 95/202 interchange.  They were doing quite a lot!

Every project they're working on today had a long, multi-year history attached to it.  It's finally 40/896's turn.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »

For a project that far out, the dates are probably good...they generally don't change schedules every few months.  Delaware does a pretty decent job of keeping up with their time estimates. I'm used to NJDOT scheduling where whatever FY the project is proposed, count on it being pushed back a year or two (or 5 or 10 or....)

In short, yes.  There's a LOT of behind the scenes stuff that takes place.  Look at it this way: If DOT wanted to build a road and take your house, you won't be pleased.  You'll want as much money as possible.  Negotiations take place.  And so forth.  So the ROW isn't just a matter of buying up land. 

But before that, they need to design the road and the overpass.  They need to figure out what traffic will be like in 25 years.  They need to get an idea of the future building in the area...what will be developed, what the county thinks will happen. They'll want to know travel patterns on 95.  They'll want to know travel patterns on 301.  They'll want to know how much UD will grow.  There's a lot of information to gather.  And based on that, they'll come up with numerous plans to build the overpass.  How many lanes.  How many ramps.  Diamonds...cloverleafs...DDIs...SPUIs...partial Diamonds...and the list goes on.  They'll get public input. 

And public input...that is an eye opener.  You'll have people like yourself saying the project should've been done 5 years ago.  You'll have others saying the project shouldn't be done at all.  Why not better mass transit?  Why not build a train line?  Just add bicycle lanes...that'll resolve the issue.  Everyone is an expert...and they'll gladly tell DelDOT they always do it wrong, and they should do it their way. You'll have homeowners and business owners questioning how much land they're going to take.  Are they going to lose their house?  If they don't take their house, will they have a highway at their front door?  And then there's elected officials, who, imo, get a little more say than they should.  If they are really opinionated one way or another about the project, they could sway DelDOT in a way 100 homeowners feeling the opposite way can't.

So DelDOT has to take all that public comment and decide what the people like the best.  Even if the majority are against the project, DelDOT knows they have to do something.  So they look at the best possible plan with the fewest issues.  It is many times not as simple as just agreeing to something.  That best possible plan may double the estimated cost of the project.  It may encroach on wetlands.   How do they route traffic thru the intersection during construction?  The best laid plans may become stuck in mud if they can't keep traffic maintained thru the project area during construction.

Once all of that is decided on, then they have to start with the ROW process.

If you're still reading this...remember, this goes on for every single project they want to execute.  Even a simple traffic light can take years.  Because if your house is on that corner, and they tell you they need 40 feet of your yard to build a few extra lanes, and light poles will be shining in your house, are you going to be happy about it?  Probably not.

And finally, remember...you are looking at this project thru blinders...you probably travel this intersection and see it as your biggest headache.  DelDOT had to deal with hundreds of headaches throughout the state, and they have to decide which ones they want to tackle soonest.  I seriously doubt DelDOT's biggest project a few years back was a minor widening on Route 1...which shows just how much work they are doing around the state which you aren't even aware of.  A few years back, when you said they were doing nothing, they were rebuilding that 95/1 interchange.  They were doing work in Kent and Sussex counties.  They were planning on the 301 Bypass.  They were rebuilding the 95/202 interchange.  They were doing quite a lot!

Every project they're working on today had a long, multi-year history attached to it.  It's finally 40/896's turn.
That really puts it in prospective. & you're right i forgot about the 95/SR1 flyover ramps which really helped. And I remember 202/95 revamp. & with the harmony road project they might be buying many homes so i see how people feel. But they need to understand delaware is growing & maybe some of the projects now werent needed 5-10 years ago. Some traffic projections were false & some were over the roof. Its just how can people & politicians make a project not even go forward when its needed, that reminds me of the greenvile bridge on 141 which goes from a 4 lane highway to a two lane road & the people around there dont want a new bridge because of "preservation of the area" they need to think about the future & not what a bunch of people who dont like the best option. For the SR1/ 273  ramps they were gonna do a number of things, A roundabout to let traffic from the village to the highway & route 7 etc. but the people say they will be trapped when it floods & more traffic. But im pretty sure before the SR1 & christiana bypass was built all the traffic was going THRU Route 7. Then they wanna move the SB ramps from R 273 to Newtown road which could be good @ it could be bad.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »

I'm from NJ...the land of projects not moving forward due to people and politicians.

I hear ya...but I've also seen how greatly needed projects fall apart.  I also see projects pushed thru that seemingly aren't needed.

Using that Greenville Bridge as an example...eventually, someday, that bridge will have to be replaced. They'll only be able to repair it so much.  But until then, DelDOT will look around and see that if they can make improvements on 52, 100 & 202 (for example), motorists will take it upon themselves to use those alternate routes and avoid 141.  It may not be the most direct route for them, but it avoids a political firestorm with the bridge.  And there's that all-too-familiar saying that sometimes it takes a death or two for DOT to make improvements.  It's also true getting the opposition to turn around. If a vehicle flies off that overpass and kills a family, some of those in opposition will be quieted as they're not going to want to be known as the people that could care less 2 little kids were killed.

It's a cruel world out there in the land of Transportation. 

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »

By the 40/896 interchange are they talking about the northern terminus of U.S. 301 at Glasgow at U.S. 40?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »

By the 40/896 interchange are they talking about the northern terminus of U.S. 301 at Glasgow at U.S. 40?
Yea thats the one.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 01:03:23 AM »

Also that is not U.S 301. That is U.S 896 , Lets not mix up SR's. U.S 301 is currently under construction.

davewiecking

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:04:21 PM
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 01:35:16 AM »

Also that is not U.S 301. That is U.S 896 , Lets not mix up SR's. U.S 301 is currently under construction.
The 896 in northern Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania is a state route in both cases. There is no U.S. 896.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 01:39:15 AM »

The 896 in northern Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania is a state route in both cases. There is no U.S. 896.
What do you mean? If it goes into two states then it IS U.S 896

jeffandnicole

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 06:10:25 AM »

Um, no.

Either Delaware or Pennsylvania decided to match the route number of their road with the adjoining state's route number.  Their classification has nothing to do with the fact that the same route number is used in both states.   We have a whole thread on these matching route numbers somewhere on these forums.

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »

Multi State Route. If your US highway rule applied to all of them, then there would be US 273, US 279, US 41, US 52, US 82, etc in Northern Delaware.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »

Um, no.

Either Delaware or Pennsylvania decided to match the route number of their road with the adjoining state's route number.  Their classification has nothing to do with the fact that the same route number is used in both states.   We have a whole thread on these matching route numbers somewhere on these forums.

Regarding 896, Maryland too.  ;-)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »

Multi State Route. If your US highway rule applied to all of them, then there would be US 273, US 279, US 41, US 52, US 82, etc in Northern Delaware.
Lol I was messing with y'all and how come old Baltimore pike isn't signed as SR 281 like on the Maryland side.

iPhone

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »

Lol I was messing with y'all

Daaaaaanggggg...  You just made some folks' blood pressure shoot way up with that one!

and how come old Baltimore pike isn't signed as SR 281 like on the Maryland side.

Because it isn't a state highway in Delaware.  If it isn't a state highway, then there would be no reason to sign it as such, now, right?  Derp!  It's actually CR-26.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »

Daaaaaanggggg...  You just made some folks' blood pressure shoot way up with that one!

Yea i felt the tension.

and how come old Baltimore pike isn't signed as SR 281 like on the Maryland side.

Because it isn't a state highway in Delaware.  If it isn't a state highway, then there would be no reason to sign it as such, now, right?  Derp!  It's actually CR-26.

Well, noting that SR-7 , SR-72,71 are labeled as state highways.  Even though they are two lane rural roads amazes me. "OLDBP" is soon gonna be reconstructed to a 4 lane road with shoulders & sidewalks, the middle center turning lane will probably be removed for a median.

iPhone

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 02:30:40 PM »

Yea i felt the tension.

Well, noting that SR-7 , SR-72,71 are labeled as state highways.  Even though they are two lane rural roads amazes me. "OLDBP" is soon gonna be reconstructed to a 4 lane road with shoulders & sidewalks, the middle center turning lane will probably be removed for a median.

(Fixed your quote string.)

It sounds like you think a route being maintained by the county or by the state should depend on how many lanes it has.  WTF?  The vast majority of Delaware's state highway system is rural two-lane roads–and that's true for every state, not just Delaware.  A road being part of a state highway system should depend on how useful it is in the transportation of people and goods to other places in the state.  If it's only a useful link within the immediate area, then let the county handle it, no matter how many lanes.  If it's a useful link for the broader highway network, then let the state handle it, no matter how many lanes.  Lane count is a product of traffic volume.  A busy city street downtown shouldn't be state-maintained just because there are a lot of cars on it, but it might need several lanes to handle the traffic.  The state shouldn't stop maintaining a lonely stretch of highway in the middle of the prairie just because the traffic count is a little low, but it sure wouldn't need to be widened.

Now, I'm not from Delaware but, in this specific case, I doubt the usefulness of the Old Baltimore Pike in inter-regional transit.  Just looking at the map, I see Elkton—Glasgow is served by US-40, Elkton—Newark by DE-2, and Elkton—Wilmington by I-95.  How much inter-regional traffic is actually using the Pike?  You know, since the 1800s?  DE-72, on the other hand, is the obvious link between Newark and and the southern half of the state, DE-71 connects several unincorporated communities, and DE-7 similarly connects a few unincorporated communities and is actually four lanes for a lot of its route.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »

Yea i felt the tension.

(Fixed your quote string.)

It sounds like you think a route being maintained by the county or by the state should depend on how many lanes it has.  WTF?  The vast majority of Delaware's state highway system is rural two-lane roads–and that's true for every state, not just Delaware.  A road being part of a state highway system should depend on how useful it is in the transportation of people and goods to other places in the state.  If it's only a useful link within the immediate area, then let the county handle it, no matter how many lanes.  If it's a useful link for the broader highway network, then let the state handle it, no matter how many lanes.  Lane count is a product of traffic volume.  A busy city street downtown shouldn't be state-maintained just because there are a lot of cars on it, but it might need several lanes to handle the traffic.  The state shouldn't stop maintaining a lonely stretch of highway in the middle of the prairie just because the traffic count is a little low, but it sure wouldn't need to be widened.

Now, I'm not from Delaware but, in this specific case, I doubt the usefulness of the Old Baltimore Pike in inter-regional transit.  Just looking at the map, I see Elkton—Glasgow is served by US-40, Elkton—Newark by DE-2, and Elkton—Wilmington by I-95.  How much inter-regional traffic is actually using the Pike?  You know, since the 1800s?  DE-72, on the other hand, is the obvious link between Newark and and the southern half of the state, DE-71 connects several unincorporated communities, and DE-7 similarly connects a few unincorporated communities and is actually four lanes for a lot of its route.

Thanks I'll soon learn how to use Quotes correctly  :pan: .

Also Do you see the area that OLDBP Travels, ( https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.6064817,-75.8331299/39.6654423,-75.6597519/@39.638255,-75.7473838,13z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0 ) Its a good distance, This road has many businesses and homes. It Connects 3 different Cities and had substantial traffic on it. So Yes I believe this should be DE-281 Because its a major route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.