AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: US 220 from Roanoke, VA to Bedford, PA  (Read 6865 times)

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:22 PM
US 220 from Roanoke, VA to Bedford, PA
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:58:43 AM »

WSLS10: CTB approves more than $64 million for Route 220 improvements

Note that this is mostly just minor safety improvements, not four-lane widening.  I put this here because this is in Botetourt County and is unrelated to I-73.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Re: Re: Virginia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »

Note that this is mostly just minor safety improvements, not four-lane widening.  I put this here because this is in Botetourt County and is unrelated to I-73.

I recently drove U.S. 220 from Covington to Monterey, and was surprised at how primitive it was. Perhaps the local people of Bath and Highland Counties want it that way?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Strider

• Last Login: Today at 11:31:52 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »

http://www.newstribune.info/news/20170509/commentary-we-should-be-looking-at-4-lane-route-220

What do you think about that? I know it is some "bs" created by politicians which I don't think will happen, but you never know.

I put this on this page because it only talks about I-73 for a very short time.

I never been on US 220 between Roanoke and Bedford so I don't know how the road is like out there. If anyone knows what it is like past Roanoke, that would be nice to share.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:29:05 PM by Alps »

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »

Made the rounds last week in some of the Facebook groups.  This delegate has been spamming his message across several area newspapers.  A WV native and roadgeek all but calls him an idiot.

The corridor is straight up empty north of Covington, nevermind that the terrain is extremely challenging and because of that, his estimated cost is on the low side...especially since he wants it as an I-99 extension.

Strider

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

Made the rounds last week in some of the Facebook groups.  This delegate has been spamming his message across several area newspapers.  A WV native and roadgeek all but calls him an idiot.

The corridor is straight up empty north of Covington, nevermind that the terrain is extremely challenging and because of that, his estimated cost is on the low side...especially since he wants it as an I-99 extension.

I see.. thank you for your input. Much appreciated. Respect. :)

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »

The last thing we need is a glorified extension of Bud Shuster's abnormal creation!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »

North of Roanoke, US 220 is a reasonably pleasant drive. It narrows from four lanes to two north of Fincastle, but is a decent route to Clifton Forge. Between Clifton Forge and Covington, it's concurrent with I-64. Once it departs I-64, it's a very rural road that doesn't have any extensive mountain crossings, but it's very lightly traveled. It's on a much better alignment than US 219, which runs just to its west.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »

North of Roanoke, US 220 is a reasonably pleasant drive. It narrows from four lanes to two north of Fincastle, but is a decent route to Clifton Forge. Between Clifton Forge and Covington, it's concurrent with I-64. Once it departs I-64, it's a very rural road that doesn't have any extensive mountain crossings, but it's very lightly traveled. It's on a much better alignment than US 219, which runs just to its west.

I have been on most of U.S. 220 north  of Covington, and it is remarkably curvy north of the Covington city limits.  It would probably require a totally new road on a totally new alignment there, as well as to bypass Warm Springs and Monterey, Va.; plus Franklin, Petersburg, Moorefield and Keyser, W.Va. 

In Maryland, much of U.S. 220 has an almost-urban "look and feel" to it from the Potomac River to I-68, and it is not clear where an upgraded road would go there.

It is about 160 miles from Covington to I-68.  Send money.  Lots of money.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:09:57 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
Re: US 220 from Roanoke, VA to Bedford, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »

It will rebuild 9 miles of US-220 to modern 2-lane standards with 60 mph design speed, 12-foot lanes and 10-foot paved shoulders.  Between Eagle Rock and Iron Gate.  A major improvement.

The plan 10 years ago was for dualization and upgrade of the existing roadway, but costs escalated to where they went with the less costly project above.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »

Volumes don't really warrant 4 lanes.  2016 AADT is a bit under 6K for the most part, which is about 1K less than it was 10 years ago and also slightly lower than 1995 volumes.  A modern 2-lane should be fine.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »

Volumes don't really warrant 4 lanes.  2016 AADT is a bit under 6K for the most part, which is about 1K less than it was 10 years ago and also slightly lower than 1995 volumes.  A modern 2-lane should be fine.

US-220 between I-81 near Roanoke and I-64 at Clifton Forge was one of the arterial highways planned for 4-laning in 1964.  Those volumes are indeed low. 

I've looked at USGS maps and have tried to locate a modern US-220 4-lane route thru or around the Iron Gate area.  It is possible but would either take major bridgework or massive cuts and fills.  The US-220 bridge over the river north of Iron Gate could be dualized, but extending/connecting a 4-lane highway to I-64 would be difficult.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Strider

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »

They are widening this section to 4 lanes because of high crashes, traffic volumes has nothing to do with it.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »

They are widening this section to 4 lanes because of high crashes, traffic volumes has nothing to do with it.

The current project is two-lane reconstruction... not widening to four lanes.

The article in the first post said, "spend more than $64 million on safety improvements to Route 220 in Botetourt County."  It is much more than just "safety improvements", it is reconstruction to modern two-lane standards.

The existing segment has what I call a "1930s alignment", as that is when it probably was built.  Referring to both horizontal and vertical alignment.  Other than probable trench widening from, say, a 16-foot roadway to a 20-foot roadway, maybe in the 1950s, this segment is a very old design.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.