AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Should you get your E-ZPass in Maryland or Virginia?  (Read 5455 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Should you get your E-ZPass in Maryland or Virginia?
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »

Washington Post: Should you get your E-ZPass in Maryland or Virginia?

Use of the E-ZPass electronic payment system has grown exponentially across the Washington region in recent years as the network of toll lanes has expanded in the Interstate 95 corridor with new facilities from Stafford County to just north of Baltimore.

Both Maryland and Virginia are actively promoting E-ZPass, hoping to reduce cash payment at toll plazas – where the option exists – and to encourage the seamless use of all-electronic toll facilities such as the 495 Express Lanes and 66 Express Lanes in Virginia and the Intercounty Connector in Maryland.

In that spirit, Maryland announced last week that it is making E-ZPass transponders free, eliminating the $7.50 sign-up fee and betting on a greater number of drivers going cashless at the state’s eight toll facilities, including the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 10:06:37 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: Should you get your E-ZPass in Maryland or Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »

Two points not covered in the article:

-- At one point, Virginia E-ZPass penalized even regular transponder users who didn't at least occasionally travel on Virginia toll roads, not just Flex users.

-- There are discounts on Maryland tolls available to Maryland, but not other states', E-ZPass holders.

I don't know the current situation on both points, these are just items to check out when deciding.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:14:55 PM by oscar »
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »

I believe the Virginia terms require you to use your E-ZPass at least once every six months or your account may be cancelled. I don’t know whether they still enforce that. They used to do so, although they notified you first (I called them to say I wanted to keep it and they didn’t cancel the account, although they also said if I didn’t use it within the next six months it’d be cancelled without notice to me).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

VTGoose

• Last Login: Today at 11:43:56 AM
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »

Two points not covered in the article:

-- At one point, Virginia E-ZPass penalized even regular transponder users who didn't at least occasionally travel on Virginia toll roads, not just Flex users.

-- There are discounts on Maryland tolls available to Maryland, but not other states', E-ZPass holders.

I don't know the current situation on both points, these are just items to check out when deciding.

A number of years ago Virginia dropped the maintenance fee on E-ZPass accounts. I have a transponder and account -- picked up mainly for travel between home and Vermont when #3 son was in culinary school in Montpelier -- and last used it a year ago in a trip to Tidewater. I received an email a couple of months ago from the E-ZPass folks telling me that my inactive account would be closed if I didn't respond and ask to keep it active. I did so since I do occasionally make it across the state. It would be nice if Florida joined E-ZPass so I could just have one transponder to deal with (got a SunPass account and transponder after one trip on a Florida toll road without it -- it is handy when we visit #2 son near Tampa).

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »

There’s my answer! Back when that happened to me they sent an actual letter and I had to call them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.