AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Speed on I-95  (Read 22859 times)

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
Speed on I-95
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »

I drive the stretch of I-95 thru Delaware & Pa & I’ve noticed that the flow of traffic is driving at higher speeds of 95+. Almost felt like I was on the NJTP. Is this, because more people driving on the roads or the completion of construction projects around the area is relieving some of the traffic headaches we all know of.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
Re: Speed on I-95
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »

Sometimes you can just get in a pack of traffic flying. 

And sometimes, one car doing 60 in the left lane bunches things up to the point where you can't get any speed.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm used to traffic flowing at a steady 60-65 in the right lane to around 80 on the left lane towards 85. Pretty consistently, too. Speeds of 95+ are not the norm.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 02:58:09 PM »

I'm used to traffic flowing at a steady 60-65 in the right lane to around 80 on the left lane towards 85. Pretty consistently, too. Speeds of 95+ are not the norm.

80±10 is above 95 about 1 time in 750, assuming 95% are within the margin of error. Or maybe it's 95 kph (which is a bit on the slow side).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »

80±10 is above 95 about 1 time in 750, assuming 95% are within the margin of error. Or maybe it's 95 kph (which is a bit on the slow side).

This area of 95 is unlikely to have travelers going 95, but on occasion you'll get the hotrods and bikers that want to open it up and speed as fast as they can.  I wouldn't say it's impossible, but during the day it's very unsafe.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »

This area of 95 is unlikely to have travelers going 95, but on occasion you'll get the hotrods and bikers that want to open it up and speed as fast as they can.  I wouldn't say it's impossible, but during the day it's very unsafe.
I was going 95 & some people were still passing me. 95 thru delaware may have official broke obeying the speed limit.

iPhone

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:30 PM »

I've seen people hitting the gas more on I-495 in Delaware than I-95.  The former is wider with gradual curves.

ITB

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:36 AM
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 10:48:04 PM »

A few years back, heading north on I-95 between Washington, DC and Baltimore, I'm doing 80+ in the far left lane. I glance over to my right and notice traffic in the other three lanes, even the far right, is outpacing me.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:58:40 PM »

A few years back, heading north on I-95 between Washington, DC and Baltimore, I'm doing 80+ in the far left lane. I glance over to my right and notice traffic in the other three lanes, even the far right, is outpacing me.
The speed limit on the east coast highways should be atleast 75-80mph. Yea some roads might be outdated. But people still drive @80 Mph. Because they are going 1min25s every minute they are going 80mph & higher.

iPhone

tckma

• I only came for the Appelflappen!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 03:16:37 PM
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »

Maryland also doesn't give a crap about enforcing speed limits*.  Or maybe that's just been my experience having lived in MD and thus having MD plates since 2009.  I've been pulled over a grand total of once, and it was basically: "did you know it's 50 here?" "yes." "okay carry on then."

*Does not apply in Montgomery County, or for speed camera tickets.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »

Maryland also doesn't give a crap about enforcing speed limits*.  Or maybe that's just been my experience having lived in MD and thus having MD plates since 2009...

Honestly, I think you're right.  I took a trip down to Baltimore Friday/Saturday on I-95. I saw a few cops in the median.  One officer, which I could clearly see, was doing paperwork and had no interest in traffic.  One previous trip there was a cop in the median in jammed traffic approaching a travel plaza.  The cop pulled out a little in front of me and pulled someone over. Clearly it wasn't speed related, so maybe it was a registration issue, headlight out, seat belt, etc.  But regardless of the reason, the cop wasn't caring about speed.  If he did, he easily could've turned the car around and watched northbound traffic fly by.

I know this group talks about VA a lot, due to their 80 mph reckless driving threshold.  I've been in traffic where my cruise is set at 78/79 mph, and traffic still passes me with ease.  I've also seen cops down there watching traffic, not really interested in those going in the low 80's.  So, no doubt if you're close to 90 it's probably going to be an issue, and it certainly depends how much traffic is out there - if you're the only one at night, 81 in a 70 may be a bit more risky.  But clearly they do have discretion at deciding what they're going to allow at any given point in time...and I'm sure that there's a huge number of tickets written for going 79 mph to keep the drivers who were nice to the officers out of trouble.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »

Maryland also doesn't give a crap about enforcing speed limits*.  Or maybe that's just been my experience having lived in MD and thus having MD plates since 2009.  I've been pulled over a grand total of once, and it was basically: "did you know it's 50 here?" "yes." "okay carry on then."

Cecil county in Maryland is speed trap central once you pass the toll. Usually 2-3 state cars at all the turn arounds. Elkton is dope central when it comes to drugs. So its not to nice around those parts. Unlike elsewhere. 

iPhone

jeffandnicole

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »

Cecil county in Maryland is speed trap central once you pass the toll. Usually 2-3 state cars at all the turn arounds. Elkton is dope central when it comes to drugs. So its not to nice around those parts. Unlike elsewhere. 

iPhone

I've never seen that many; maybe one here or there, and they certainly don't appear to care about anything under 80.

I remember a time I would see a trooper car at the maintenance yard on the northbound side parked outside of the gate. Often had no one in it, but not always.  I can't remember the last time I saw a car there now.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »

Cecil County still has heightened enforcement, it helps that a state police barracks is right on the highway there. Another popular spot is near the Maryland House rest area in the morning. I've actually gotten pulled over just after crossing the Wilson Bridge on the Capital Beltway (they sit in the median turn around at the base of the bridge), got a warning for "following car too closely".... at 8am on New Year's Day. Yeah, whatever, I was just happy that I wasn't in Virginia. Speaking of, speed enforcement in that state is downright ridiculous. One morning at 6:15am, I counted 8 cars doing radar on I-85 northbound over the course of 10 miles. You can't say thats NOT revenue driven enforcement. Delaware (home of the $39 speeding ticket) used to be pretty bad on I-95 until they finally raised the speed limit.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »

I’ve lived in Virginia since 1974 and I’ve never found speed enforcement here to be anywhere near as draconian on a statewide basis as the stereotype suggests. Sure, there are a few speedtrap areas you have to know about and avoid, but for the most part if you don’t drive like a dumbarse or speed in an unreasonable manner (such as weaving in and out across all lanes trying to force everyone else to go faster), usually you won’t have a problem. School zones, of course, are an exception.

Now, in both Maryland and Virginia I’ve often found the far right lane on I-95 can be the fastest one because so many people here seem to be afraid of the right lane. But that doesn’t stop some people from tailgating you there–on Saturday coming back from Charlottesville I was in the right lane on I-95 with the adaptive cruise control set at 70 mph in a 65-mph zone and I got tailgated multiple times (to no effect because I neither sped up nor slowed down, seeing as how there were two other lanes those people could use to pass....not my problem those lanes had more traffic).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »

iPhone

I've never seen that many; maybe one here or there, and they certainly don't appear to care about anything under 80.

I remember a time I would see a trooper car at the maintenance yard on the northbound side parked outside of the gate. Often had no one in it, but not always.  I can't remember the last time I saw a car there now.
I seen 2 state troopers at the border after the tollbooth in delaware at night & day time. It depends what time it is because I know they are not always there. The area with the most cops would be the Delaware memorial bridge. Funny that this would be a bridge to New jersey so the amount of cops is not unusual.

iPhone

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 07:20:56 PM »

I’ve lived in Virginia since 1974 and I’ve never found speed enforcement here to be anywhere near as draconian on a statewide basis as the stereotype suggests. Sure, there are a few speedtrap areas you have to know about and avoid, but for the most part if you don’t drive like a dumbarse or speed in an unreasonable manner (such as weaving in and out across all lanes trying to force everyone else to go faster), usually you won’t have a problem. School zones, of course, are an exception.

Now, in both Maryland and Virginia I’ve often found the far right lane on I-95 can be the fastest one because so many people here seem to be afraid of the right lane. But that doesn’t stop some people from tailgating you there–on Saturday coming back from Charlottesville I was in the right lane on I-95 with the adaptive cruise control set at 70 mph in a 65-mph zone and I got tailgated multiple times (to no effect because I neither sped up nor slowed down, seeing as how there were two other lanes those people could use to pass....not my problem those lanes had more traffic).

I think this is because of the amount of off and on ramps, cops sitting on the shoulder, broken down cars/Trash always in the shoulder/right lane. People have basically learned that the right lane is almost always for merging traffic and obstacles. Its helps traffic flow. As ive said before. They should make a law in which you have to move over when coming up on ramps .  If you can have “traffic keep right unless passing”  they can have “Traffic keep left for Ramps” .

iPhone

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »

The bigger issue with speed limit enforcement in the Commonwealth is not the Virginia State Police, unless you are driving 80 MPH or better.   

It's the small and smallish counties and municipalities that engage in aggressive speed limit enforcement (in some cases it's because the police have little else to do, in other cases, it's is a craven and IMO corrupt way to raise revenue). 

In Northern Virginia, that means places like the City of Falls Church, and the Towns of Haymarket and Leesburg.  There are other places like that around Virginia too (the Hopewell speed trap on I-295 and the Town of Newsoms in Southampton County are two examples).

Falls Church is a small and wealthy place, and the cops do not have much else going on, but I do not think the city needs the revenue.

Hopewell and Newsoms IMO qualify for being classified as corrupt.

Then there's the matter of VA-286 (Fairfax County Parkway) in Fairfax County (duh).  I have seen the Fairfax County Police doing a lot of speed limit enforcement on that road, but I think this is an area and a road where that's justified.  Far too many drivers treat it as a freeway (and want to drive 70 or 80 MPH, speeds for which it was never engineered).  This is a case where that speed limit enforcement is about safety, and about protecting idiots from themselves.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:34:28 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »

the Towns of Haymarket

This must be new or since I left, because I would frequent the Sheetz at 15/55 often, coming into town from Gainesville via 55, and I almost never saw a Haymarket cop.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »

They should make a law in which you have have the common courtesy to move over when coming up on ramps .

FTFY
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »

They should make a law in which you have have the common courtesy to move over when coming up on ramps .

FTFY
Thats like saying people will pick up trash. Ha. People having common courtesy to move over for others. *This forum does not count as the percentage of people that move over or understand how the roads really work.*

iPhone

jeffandnicole

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »

I seen 2 state troopers at the border after the tollbooth in delaware at night & day time. It depends what time it is because I know they are not always there. The area with the most cops would be the Delaware memorial bridge. Funny that this would be a bridge to New jersey so the amount of cops is not unusual.
iPhone

I see fewer here than I've seen in the past.  And based on what I can tell, 69 in the (underposted) 50 zone is OK.  I remember once when I was approaching the bridge from NJ towards Delaware I saw a cop pull out as I was going by (at a speed faster than mentioned above), and thought he may go after me. Traffic was pretty heavy.  I was passing a truck on his left...then after I passed I pulled in front of him then got in the right lane and slowed down so the truck shielded me from the cop.  I would never be able to prove it, but I think I successfully hid from the officer! :-)

If you can have “traffic keep right unless passing”  they can have “Traffic keep left for Ramps” .

Never.  Because then you have the condition of slower traffic in the right lane getting into the left lanes, slowing them down, which is one of the largest causes of traffic congestion near interchanges. 

The car in the right lane usually should maintain their speed.  The car coming on the highway from the on ramp is often going slower than the traffic on the highway, and would often easily just merge in behind or in between vehicles already on the highway.  However, way too often a car on the highway slows down to allow the car on the ramp to enter the highway; the exact opposite way of how it's supposed to work.  The car entering the highway is always supposed to be the one to find a gap.  This part of Drivers Ed needs to be greatly expanded upon, as in many cases both vehicles in this scenario screw this up.

Also, most interchanges are, on average, about 3 miles apart.  There's no reason not to use the right lane between the interchanges.  The chances of a vehicle being on the shoulder is extremely low.  It drives me nuts to watch someone enter the highway and immediately merge into the center or left lane...often times when the right lane was clear of traffic, and now they're tailgating a vehicle in one of the left lanes.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »

iPhone

I see fewer here than I've seen in the past.  And based on what I can tell, 69 in the (underposted) 50 zone is OK.  I remember once when I was approaching the bridge from NJ towards Delaware I saw a cop pull out as I was going by (at a speed faster than mentioned above), and thought he may go after me. Traffic was pretty heavy.  I was passing a truck on his left...then after I passed I pulled in front of him then got in the right lane and slowed down so the truck shielded me from the cop.  I would never be able to prove it, but I think I successfully hid from the officer! :-)

Most likely you were able to hide or he was just pulling out to do the usually roadway checks. They seem to like pulling out of their hiding spots when new traffic goes by.

If you can have “traffic keep right unless passing”  they can have “Traffic keep left for Ramps” .

Never.  Because then you have the condition of slower traffic in the right lane getting into the left lanes, slowing them down, which is one of the largest causes of traffic congestion near interchanges. 

The car in the right lane usually should maintain their speed.  The car coming on the highway from the on ramp is often going slower than the traffic on the highway, and would often easily just merge in behind or in between vehicles already on the highway.  However, way too often a car on the highway slows down to allow the car on the ramp to enter the highway; the exact opposite way of how it's supposed to work.  The car entering the highway is always supposed to be the one to find a gap.  This part of Drivers Ed needs to be greatly expanded upon, as in many cases both vehicles in this scenario screw this up.

Also, most interchanges are, on average, about 3 miles apart.  There's no reason not to use the right lane between the interchanges.  The chances of a vehicle being on the shoulder is extremely low.  It drives me nuts to watch someone enter the highway and immediately merge into the center or left lane...often times when the right lane was clear of traffic, and now they're tailgating a vehicle in one of the left lanes.

When you explain it. It really seems that that needs signs for people in the right lane that say “Traffic entering off ramps maintain speed do not slow down” . This is why left hand ramps would not work without a lane to follow up.

iPhone

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »

the Towns of Haymarket

This must be new or since I left, because I would frequent the Sheetz at 15/55 often, coming into town from Gainesville via 55, and I almost never saw a Haymarket cop.

I have seen the Haymarket cops in that Sheetz more than once (maybe they have nice donuts there?), but the place where I have frequently seen them fishing for speeders is on the other side of town from Sheetz, especially on westbound VA-55 (called Washington Street inside the corporate limits of the town and after the large 25 MPH sign).  GSV caught a Haymarket police car at this location waiting for a speeder here and here.

I wonder if the added presence of police there might have to do with the completion of the grade-separation of the U.S. 29/NS railroad crossing in Gainesville and the several signals that were removed in association with that project?  That might make VA-55 more-attractive as a through movement than it was before.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:29:02 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »

It really seems that that needs signs for people in the right lane that say “Traffic entering off ramps maintain speed do not slow down” . This is why left hand ramps would not work without a lane to follow up.

Micromanaging traffic by putting up more and more signs is not a reasonable way to improve driver behavior.

People on the mainline don't move over because they feel no obligation to accommodate merging traffic.  In moderate to heavy traffic, this is reasonable, but I also see it when there's no reason the driver couldn't move over.  In fact, I saw a FedEx driver on my way to work do this.  A pickup was merging in on his right, and there were no cars at all in the left lane, yet the FedEx driver didn't move over.  The pickup ended up accelerating on the shoulder in order to get in front of him.  Should the pickup driver have decelerated or accelerated earlier on in that process?  Yes, certainly.  But there was no good reason the FedEx driver couldn't have simply moved over and let both of them sail smoothly on by.

On the other hand, I see plenty of merging traffic think that, if they get up to the speed limit and put their blinker on, then everyone on the mainline will just get out of their way.  And then they either (a) floor it in a cloud of exhaust just to let you know they're not happy it didn't happen or (b) step on the brakes and then try to merge 20 seconds later from a near standstill.

The inability of drivers to make any reasonable accommodation for anyone else on the highway is amazing.  Should people on the mainline move over for merging traffic?  Yes, as long as that doesn't interfere even more with traffic already on the highway.  But that doesn't mean merging traffic is in any way entitled to it.  It's just common courtesy and nothing more.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.