AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Speed on I-95  (Read 22861 times)

VTGoose

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:43:56 AM
Re: Speed on I-95
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »

It really seems that that needs signs for people in the right lane that say “Traffic entering off ramps maintain speed do not slow down” . This is why left hand ramps would not work without a lane to follow up.

Micromanaging traffic by putting up more and more signs is not a reasonable way to improve driver behavior.

The inability of drivers to make any reasonable accommodation for anyone else on the highway is amazing.  Should people on the mainline move over for merging traffic?  Yes, as long as that doesn't interfere even more with traffic already on the highway.  But that doesn't mean merging traffic is in any way entitled to it.  It's just common courtesy and nothing more.

[emphasis added above] There is nothing that says a vehicle on the main road has to do anything to accommodate a vehicle entering from a ramp. There is a fancy sign (where they exist*) that does govern those on the ramp -- red and white triangle that sometimes says "Yield" on it. It is the responsibility of the driver on the ramp to look back up the main road to check traffic and adjust his/her speed to enter from the ramp. Sadly the "Me First!" drivers missed this lesson in driver's ed and think that everyone should make room and/or adjust their main road speed so they can get in. Recent experience has seen this played out many times, especially at one particular ramp entering U.S. 460 in Blacksburg. There have been several close calls with people who fly off the ramp without looking, or who have to brake because there isn't an opening for them -- this is accompanied by much yelling and a one-finger salute. Now as a matter of course I move to the left lane here when I can, just to avoid the inevitable collision.  See https://goo.gl/maps/WbrcvzMktf32 where the ramp enters at the bridge onto U.S. 460 eastbound.

Bottom line is that yes, it may be common courtesy, but there are other courteous acts that may be more helpful. With adaptive cruise control and active lane assist, making an adjustment in travel just to be nice isn't always going to happen. If I look in the mirror and see open road behind me, I will probably be less likely to move for an entering vehicle that can with a minor speed adjustment have lots of room to merge.

The flip side of this is dealing with drag racers -- those who match your speed when you move over to let them in and make you an inadvertent left-lane blocker.

*Requests have been made to VDOT to install a yield sign on this ramp because of problems here, but the response was something like "there isn't enough room on the right of way here to install a sign."

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 03:48:47 PM »

There is nothing that says a vehicle on the main road has to do anything to accommodate a vehicle entering from a ramp. There is a fancy sign (where they exist*) that does govern those on the ramp -- red and white triangle that sometimes says "Yield" on it.

I just want to point out that traffic laws vary state-to-state.  I cannot find an example of a state's vehicle code specifically instructing drivers to move over for merging traffic, but that doesn't mean there isn't a state or two out there that does so.  And not all states choose to put Yield signs at the end of the merge, either.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tckma

• I only came for the Appelflappen!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 03:16:37 PM
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »

Cecil county in Maryland is speed trap central once you pass the toll. Usually 2-3 state cars at all the turn arounds. Elkton is dope central when it comes to drugs. So its not to nice around those parts. Unlike elsewhere. 
iPhone

Okay, well, the $8 toll is ridiculous anyway, so I don't find myself on (northbound) I-95 or US-40 in that part of the state if there is ANY reasonable way to avoid it.  $8 for... what, exactly?  The option to stop at Maryland House/Chesapeake House?  I'll pass.

(Fun fact: The JFK Highway, when it was first opened, only had two service plazas - one in each state - which is where Maryland House gets its name from.  But you never see that "Delaware House" signage on the new service plaza there, and frankly, I never saw it in the 80s and 90s either.  Chesapeake House came later.)

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »

Cecil county in Maryland is speed trap central once you pass the toll. Usually 2-3 state cars at all the turn arounds. Elkton is dope central when it comes to drugs. So its not to nice around those parts. Unlike elsewhere. 
iPhone

Okay, well, the $8 toll is ridiculous anyway, so I don't find myself on (northbound) I-95 or US-40 in that part of the state if there is ANY reasonable way to avoid it.  $8 for... what, exactly?  The option to stop at Maryland House/Chesapeake House?  I'll pass.

(Fun fact: The JFK Highway, when it was first opened, only had two service plazas - one in each state - which is where Maryland House gets its name from.  But you never see that "Delaware House" signage on the new service plaza there, and frankly, I never saw it in the 80s and 90s either.  Chesapeake House came later.)
Delaware seems to want more highway traffic to use businesses on local streets. Then to really promote /build service areas because De-1 doesn’t have one. (I don’t consider that little off ramp in smyrna a service area). & I-95 service area is ok to me. They dont make service areas like they used to or like New Jerseys lol.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »

The toll there has always been there, but there was a time prior to about 1983, when there were tolls on all entrance and exit ramps for traffic that did not pass through that barrier. 

Then in 1990 or 1991, then-Gov. William Donald Schaefer ordered MDTA to switch to one-way tolling as much as possible (he was dissuaded from doing this at the three toll crossings in Baltimore).  So what had been a two-way toll north of the Susquehanna River became a northbound-only toll.  That's why it is so high (though you do save a few dollars by paying with Maryland E-ZPass).

My personal preference would be for the JFK Highway part of I-95 to convert to ICC-style cashless tolling, with gantries between every interchange. That would allow the toll at the Susquehanna River to be much lower.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:08 AM
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »

But Maryland is no different than other states.  They want to take it easy on tolling in-state drivers.  So I doubt tolling that whole section of I-95 would fly.  The ICC I think is predominantly in-state drivers.  So there you keep the toll down on in-state drivers by only tolling for the part of the highway you use. 

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »

Delaware seems to want more highway traffic to use businesses on local streets. Then to really promote /build service areas because De-1 doesn’t have one.

I don’t take this as an official stance of DelDOT against service areas but rather an admission that they’re an anachronism which are no longer really necessary.

The practice of having service areas along toll roads goes back in this country to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (which in turn modeled them around the Rasthöfe of the German Autobahns). And crossing the Alleghenies in 1940, service areas were arguably a necessity. Not only because of the lack of fuel and dining facilities along the rural Turnpike route but also because the cars of the time (many of them ’20s and ’30s clunkers still being nursed along from the Depression) weren’t durable enough to handle sustained high-speed driving. Tire blowouts were common, as were radiator boil-overs and all types of mechanical failures. Each service area had repair bays and a mechanic on duty, and they had their hands full patching up breakdowns and putting them back on the road.

But 75 years later, cars and tires have improved, reducing the need to have mechanics stationed every 30 miles, and gas stations and fast food restaurants have proliferated the countryside to the point that there are very few freeways in the country that haven’t naturally sprouted motorist service businesses with at least the frequency of officially sanctioned service areas. The major toll road operators keep service areas in operation–probably because significant money can still be made in leasing the concessions operations. But using the Pennsylvania Turnpike as an example, the PTC has only reduced the number of service areas since the major system was completed in 1956, and on more recent extensions (PA Tpk 43, 60, 66), service areas were never constructed. For that matter, has any new toll road constructed after the first toll road boom included service areas?

But Maryland is no different than other states.  They want to take it easy on tolling in-state drivers.

I disagree. Many other states in the Northeast have toll roads where the toll road is as much a major commuter and cross-state facility for in-state residents as it is for out-of-staters. New Jersey: The Turnpike is so much a part of daily life in the state to inspire the “What exit?”  jokes. New York: Drive between any of the state’s top five metro areas, and you’ll likely be paying a Thruway toll. Pennsylvania: Ditto. And at least Pennsylvania grants the E-ZPass discount to all E-ZPass users, regardless of what authority issued the transponder. (This should be mandated federally.)

In contrast, Delaware and Maryland have practically predatory approaches to I-95 tolling. A Delaware resident could live a lifetime in-state and commuting to Pennsylvania and never once have to pay his home state’s I-95 toll. In Maryland, 90% of the state’s population live on the western side of the JFK toll barrier. But at least Delaware gives the E-ZPass rate to all E-ZPass users. Maryland not only reserves the E-ZPass rate for MD tags (on I-95 as well as other toll roads and bridges in the state), it offers various commuter discounts that can bring the toll down to barely a third of what an out-of-stater–even one with E-ZPass–is forced to pay.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:35:49 PM by briantroutman »

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 09:50:08 AM
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »

But at least Delaware gives the E-ZPass rate to all E-ZPass users.

There is no more E-ZPass discount in Delaware, except a volume discount for Delaware E-ZPass holders who use Route 1 frequently.  The $4 toll is the same for cash and E-ZPass on I-95.  It used to be different ($2 cash, $1.25 E-ZPass).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 10:52:49 PM »

Chesapeake House came later.

Opened about 1975.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 10:55:01 PM »

So there you keep the toll down on in-state drivers by only tolling for the part of the highway you use. 

In the case of MD-200, it has to be that way as in order to comply with the Record of Decision.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »

My personal preference would be for the JFK Highway part of I-95 to convert to ICC-style cashless tolling, with gantries between every interchange.
If both the I-95 & the US 40 crossings were simultaneously converted to AET; a conversion back to two-way tolling a la Boston (the toll would be split in half) could easily be done since only two bridges are involved in the process.

In contrast, Delaware and Maryland have practically predatory approaches to I-95 tolling. A Delaware resident could live a lifetime in-state and commuting to Pennsylvania and never once have to pay his home state’s I-95 toll. In Maryland, 90% of the state’s population live on the western side of the JFK toll barrier.
The main difference between the Delaware toll & the Maryland toll plazas are that one is located at a river crossing where toll-free bypass options are very limited (US 1 at the Conowingo Dam).  In contrast, one can very easily bypass the I-95 Delaware toll plaza by using Exit 1 (DE) and 109 (MD).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »

My personal preference would be for the JFK Highway part of I-95 to convert to ICC-style cashless tolling, with gantries between every interchange.
If both the I-95 & the US 40 crossings were simultaneously converted to AET; a conversion back to two-way tolling a la Boston (the toll would be split in half) could easily be done since only two bridges are involved in the process.

In contrast, Delaware and Maryland have practically predatory approaches to I-95 tolling. A Delaware resident could live a lifetime in-state and commuting to Pennsylvania and never once have to pay his home state’s I-95 toll. In Maryland, 90% of the state’s population live on the western side of the JFK toll barrier.
The main difference between the Delaware toll & the Maryland toll plazas are that one is located at a river crossing where toll-free bypass options are very limited (US 1 at the Conowingo Dam).  In contrast, one can very easily bypass the I-95 Delaware toll plaza by using Exit 1 (DE) and 109 (MD).

So would delaware & The Tri-State area be the best places to live if you didnt wanna pay a toll. Excluding new jersey & maybe maryland. Cause you could shunpike I-95. & I bet if the maryland toll wasnt there. Both of those 896 exits wouldn’t be packed & therefore south mainstreet would have more traffic.

iPhone

PHLBOS

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »

So would delaware & The Tri-State area be the best places to live if you didnt wanna pay a toll.
For Delaware; one can get to all its neighboring states* without paying a toll.
*A toll is required for the Delaware Memorial Bridge to leave New Jersey/enter Delaware.

I bet if the maryland Delaware toll wasn't there. Both of those 896 exits wouldn’t be packed...
FTFY  The revenue from that toll plaza is for the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95 which runs from the MD State Line to the I-95/295/495 split.

...& therefore south main street would have more traffic.
:confused:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2018, 04:40:22 PM »

So would delaware & The Tri-State area be the best places to live if you didnt wanna pay a toll.
For Delaware; one can get to all its neighboring states* without paying a toll.
*A toll is required for the Delaware Memorial Bridge to leave New Jersey/enter Delaware.

I bet if the maryland Delaware toll wasn't there. Both of those 896 exits wouldn’t be packed...
FTFY  The revenue from that toll plaza is for the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95 which runs from the MD State Line to the I-95/295/495 split.

...& therefore south main street would have more traffic.
:confused:

I live in Delaware so I know how the area is. The exit after the tollboth is elkton rd/southmainstreet. So because traffic is getting off @ the two 896 exits. Because of the toll. I believe that if the toll wasnt there more people would get off @ the elkton exit to get into newark. It is also easier & you dont have to deal with traffic from 273 & etc.

iPhone

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »

^ Or in other words, you’re saying that people driving from, say, Wilmington to Newark are currently exiting onto DE 896 and clogging the road into town to avoid paying the toll. But if the toll plaza wasn’t a factor, they’d continue on to Elkton, exit there, then northeast on Elkton Road to get into Newark.

Is that what you’re saying?

PHLBOS

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »

I live in Delaware so I know how the area is.
Then you should know that the tollbooth in question is indeed located in Delaware.

The exit after the tollboth is elkton rd/southmainstreet.
Aka MD 279 (Exit 109).  It's a reasonable assumption that most know/associate that interchange more by its route number as opposed to its street name(s).

So because traffic is getting off @ the two 896 exits. Because of the toll. I believe that if the toll wasnt there more people would get off @ the elkton exit to get into newark. It is also easier & you dont have to deal with traffic from 273 & etc.
That assumption would be dependent upon where in Newark one is heading.  If one coming from Wilmington via I-95 South is heading towards the University of Delaware (as an example); I believe they will use the DE 896 North exit (1B) regardless of whether a toll plaza beyond their exit is there or not.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:10:42 PM by PHLBOS »
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »

Delaware seems to want more highway traffic to use businesses on local streets. Then to really promote /build service areas because De-1 doesn’t have one.

I don’t take this as an official stance of DelDOT against service areas but rather an admission that they’re an anachronism which are no longer really necessary.

The practice of having service areas along toll roads goes back in this country to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (which in turn modeled them around the Rasthöfe of the German Autobahns). And crossing the Alleghenies in 1940, service areas were arguably a necessity. Not only because of the lack of fuel and dining facilities along the rural Turnpike route but also because the cars of the time (many of them ’20s and ’30s clunkers still being nursed along from the Depression) weren’t durable enough to handle sustained high-speed driving. Tire blowouts were common, as were radiator boil-overs and all types of mechanical failures. Each service area had repair bays and a mechanic on duty, and they had their hands full patching up breakdowns and putting them back on the road.

I don't know.  Yes, it's certainly true that cars and tires and gas mileage have all improved.  However, I think the idea behind keeping service plazas on the PA Turnpike, NJ Turnpike, and similar closed-system toll roads is so that drivers don't have to pay a toll and get another toll ticket (yes I'm talking about pre-EZPass) to "eat here and get gas."  That and I can't POSSIBLY be the only person who's noticed that gas prices in the service areas along the {Mass Pike / NJ Turnpike / PA Turnpike / pick your favorite closed system toll road / former closed-system toll roads like I-95 in Maryland and Delaware} are usually 5-10c/g more expensive than their off-highway counterparts.  I almost ALWAYS use GasBuddy to find the cheapest station (I'm a big Waze evangelist, being a volunteer map editor, and though Waze tried to include this functionality it's still worse than GasBuddy in this area, but I digress).  E-ZPass and the ability to research gas prices have obviated the need for the service areas for sure, at least for me.  (Even with New Jersey's moronic prohibition on self-serve gas, they're still the cheapest state in the area and I always get gas there when passing through even if I don't need it.)

BUT... Stop into any service area on a closed-system toll road and they're almost always crowded.  The only time I've observed this not to be the case is during the overnight hours.  Then you have people like my wife who get anxious about leaving the highway and not being able to find suitable eateries and/or gas stations (this even though she loves to look for places to eat on Yelp et. al.!!!).  I don't think the service areas are going away any time soon.  They may be unnecessary, strictly speaking, in today's world, but the driving public still appears to welcome their presence and to patronize them despite the higher prices they have on gas / food / convenience store fare compared with those things "in the neighborhood" near the toll road but not on it.

But Maryland is no different than other states.  They want to take it easy on tolling in-state drivers.

Is that so?  May I present to you the Lexus Lanes along the I-495 Capital Beltway and I-95/I-395 corridor in Virginia, MD-200, the Lexus Lanes on I-95 north of Baltimore... heck, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge -- A Staten Islander is a resident of New York State and yet to get to a job in any other part of the state, s/he can expect to pay $20 a day in tolls when driving over that bridge.  Is that "taking it easy on tolling in-state drivers?"

And at least Pennsylvania grants the E-ZPass discount to all E-ZPass users, regardless of what authority issued the transponder. (This should be mandated federally.)

I wholeheartedly agree.  One of the main reasons I avoided switching from a Massachusetts Fast Lane tag to a Maryland E-ZPass tag when I moved from the Boston area to the DC area is (1) Until a few years ago, Maryland charged a monthly E-ZPass fee which was waived if you used MD toll facilities 3x per month, whereas Mass charged no such fee, and (2) I rarely, if ever, use Maryland's toll facilities.  I'd probably use them more if I (say) lived in Harford County or lived in Montgomery County and commuted to somewhere like Laurel, but living in Carroll County, it's just rarely necessary.  As soon as Governor Hogan ordered the MTA to drop the monthly E-ZPass fee, I dropped my Fast Lane tag in favor of a Maryland E-ZPass.  I no longer needed a discount on Mass Pike tolls because I no longer lived in Mass.

With my current commute situation, I'm on the Pennsylvania Turnpike AT LEAST twice a week, and I get the same $8.64 toll from 236 to 326 that a Pennsylvania E-ZPass tagholder would get.  I'm thankful for that, as Pennsylvania charges a monthly fee that Maryland does not charge.

I have no idea why all the different toll agencies have different E-ZPass fee structures and toll structures.  There's an E-ZPass Inter-Agency Group (IAG) that exists ( http://e-zpassiag.com ) and THAT should be the ONLY agency to issue an E-ZPass... distributing the collected tolls to the various tolling authorities and states as necessary.  That way, EVERYONE gets the same fee structure (or lack thereof) and toll discounts EVERYWHERE.

In contrast, Delaware and Maryland have practically predatory approaches to I-95 tolling. A Delaware resident could live a lifetime in-state and commuting to Pennsylvania and never once have to pay his home state’s I-95 toll. In Maryland, 90% of the state’s population live on the western side of the JFK toll barrier. But at least Delaware gives the E-ZPass rate to all E-ZPass users. Maryland not only reserves the E-ZPass rate for MD tags (on I-95 as well as other toll roads and bridges in the state), it offers various commuter discounts that can bring the toll down to barely a third of what an out-of-stater–even one with E-ZPass–is forced to pay.

As I said above, I live in a part of Maryland where I *rarely* need to use a Maryland toll facility.  And when I do, I go out of my way to avoid doing so if at all possible (US-1 across the Conowingo Dam is a bad alternative to the I-95 and US-40 bridges, but it DOES come in handy).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:24:57 PM by tckma »

tckma

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »

Then you should know that the tollbooth in question is indeed located in Delaware.
[/quote]

I have not been through that toll booth in any vehicle where I have been behind the wheel in YEARS.  I have no idea how that toll booth makes any money.  Anyone who has even the most basic ability to read a map can easily figure out the get-off-at-exit-1-get-back-on-at-exit-109 trick.

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:12 AM
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »

I have not been through that toll booth in any vehicle where I have been behind the wheel in YEARS.  I have no idea how that toll booth makes any money.  Anyone who has even the most basic ability to read a map can easily figure out the get-off-at-exit-1-get-back-on-at-exit-109 trick.

for a lot of people, potentially sitting in traffic for 15-20 extra minutes is not worth saving $4.

PHLBOS

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »

Not everybody is as that road savvy despite the new tools available on the market now.  Plus, with E-ZPass Express lanes present; an E-ZPass user who's pressed for time and sees the right lanes and both DE 896 exit ramps jammed up, they're more likely to use those Express lanes despite the toll.  I know because I had to do such one time; and that was the first time I used that stretch for non-company travel in years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

Not everybody is as that road savvy despite the new tools available on the market now.  Plus, with E-ZPass Express lanes present; an E-ZPass user who's pressed for time and sees the right lanes and both DE 896 exit ramps jammed up, they're more likely to use those Express lanes despite the toll.  I know because I had to do such one time; and that was the first time I used that stretch for non-company travel in years.

You’re not lying. As a Ezpass user Express lanes make using a tollway much better & shit, sometimes you just keep going cause you’re already making such good time.

iPhone

Mr_Northside

• "Oh god... They'll know! They'll know!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
    • Currently playing washboard in Ye Olde Royal Shithouse Players
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »

With my current commute situation, I'm on the Pennsylvania Turnpike AT LEAST twice a week, and I get the same $8.64 toll from 236 to 326 that a Pennsylvania E-ZPass tagholder would get.  I'm thankful for that, as Pennsylvania charges a monthly fee that Maryland does not charge.

Are you implying you'd get charged a monthly E-ZPass charge from the PTC? 
To my knowledge (and experience, having a PTC issued E-ZPass since 2006) there is a $3 annual charge - nothing monthly.  They did briefly increase it to $6-a-year some years back, but backed it down to $3 again. 

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

BrianP

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:08 AM
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »

Is that so?  May I present to you the Lexus Lanes along the I-495 Capital Beltway and I-95/I-395 corridor in Virginia, MD-200, the Lexus Lanes on I-95 north of Baltimore... heck, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge -- A Staten Islander is a resident of New York State and yet to get to a job in any other part of the state, s/he can expect to pay $20 a day in tolls when driving over that bridge.  Is that "taking it easy on tolling in-state drivers?"
I-495 Capital Beltway and I-95/I-395 corridor in Virginia... not in MD (yet but see baltimore below),  0-1

MD 200 - someone has to pay for the highway.  I'd say it's better this way since the people who actually use it pay for it.  I'd say it's a push.

Baltimore I-95 HOT lanes... you could stay on the untolled lanes.  No one is forcing you to use the toll lanes in that case.  The susquehanna toll is not avoidable in this way.  You have to use a surface highways to avoid that toll. 0-2

Verrazano Narrows Bridge .. not in MD 0-3

Struck out.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 09:50:18 AM
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »

You’re not lying. As a Ezpass user Express lanes make using a tollway much better & shit, sometimes you just keep going cause you’re already making such good time.

iPhone

This. Back before Express EZ Pass lanes, it was actually faster to detour off 95 than to sit in traffic that was congestion starting around Exit 1. Today, I often can't justify spending 15 minutes to save the cost of the toll.

I also notice many never seem to have the same comparison with 295 and the NJ Turnpike. Especially true when the starting and ending destination is between the Del. Mem. Br. and 195.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
Speed on I-95
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2018, 07:21:42 PM »

J&N do you know if their are any pictures of the small tollbooths on 95 in delaware on the off & on ramps ? & has the Philadelphia part of 95 ever planned to toll the road or was it tolled before?

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.