AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Speed on I-95  (Read 22858 times)

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
Re: Speed on I-95
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »

J&N do you know if their are any pictures of the small tollbooths on 95 in delaware on the off & on ramps ? & has the Philadelphia part of 95 ever planned to toll the road or was it tolled before?

iPhone

I never saw the tollbooths in Delaware not seen any pics, and I've never heard of any plans for there to be tolls on 95 in PA.

Roadsguy

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 05:39:14 PM
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:48 PM »

has the Philadelphia part of 95 ever planned to toll the road or was it tolled before?

What became I-95 in Pennsylvania was once planned as one of many extensions of the PA Turnpike. All of these, with the exception of the portion of the Northeast Extension already built, were cancelled and (mostly) reworked into the Interstate System. Jeff Kitsko has a list of these extensions on his site (Click here and scroll up a bit).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »

J&N do you know if their are any pictures of the small tollbooths on 95 in delaware on the off & on ramps ? & has the Philadelphia part of 95 ever planned to toll the road or was it tolled before?

iPhone

I never saw the tollbooths in Delaware not seen any pics, and I've never heard of any plans for there to be tolls on 95 in PA.

There were toll barriers on the ramps of the Delaware Turnpike into the mid- or late-1970's for traffic not crossing the main barrier between the Maryland border and DEL-896.  The tolls were very modest, maybe a nickle or dime to as much as a quarter, and I think they had structures with space for toll collectors but the booths were not staffed when I saw them.

I have seen at least one picture online (might have been  from the DelDOT archives).

The state of Delaware has scanned a lot of news content (including at least a few images of the unmanned toll barriers on the ramps) into a set of "Delaware Turnpike Scrapbooks"  PDF documents that are available online. See below - broadband connection suggested.

Scrapbook 1 - 1963 to 1965

Scrapbook 2 - 1965 to 1969

Scrapbook 3 - 1969 to 1988
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:59:05 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
Speed on I-95
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »

iPhone

There were toll barriers on the ramps of the Delaware Turnpike into the mid- or late-1970's for traffic not crossing the main barrier between the Maryland border and DEL-896.  The tolls were very modest, maybe a nickle or dime to as much as a quarter, and I think they had structures with space for toll collectors but the booths were not staffed when I saw them.

I have seen at least one picture online (might have been  from the DelDOT archives).

The state of Delaware has scanned a lot of news content (including at least a few images of the unmanned toll barriers on the ramps) into a set of "Delaware Turnpike Scrapbooks"  PDF documents that are available online. See below - broadband connection suggested.

Wow. I’ve seen Delaware’s archives but not like this. The old tollbooths are what you would expect. But what I noticed is very interesting is.

1. The news article about the boy playing with his friends & then falling off the chopin road overpass & dying on the highway from the fall. Was there no guard rails on overpasses at the time? & which overpass is chopin road in delaware? Was the road renamed.

2. I notice that 495 has a more direct route in the southern part of wilmington rather than on the river like how it is now. How many different routes were planned for I-495?

3. When the pike was built it reduced traffic on 40,301 40 percent. But also the people on 40 say the highway didn’t sign route 40 correctly & land by the pike went up 150%??!!!! Holy shit . I also noticed a 1.5 million truck stop was planned, were they talking about the current one in the middle of I-95 in newark or another planned one.

4. Lastly I notice that many people didn’t know how to drive on the highway since the amount of accidents that were reported were pretty high. Did this go for most of america or just the east casts curvy highways?

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

tckma

• I only came for the Appelflappen!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 03:16:37 PM
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »

I also notice many never seem to have the same comparison with 295 and the NJ Turnpike. Especially true when the starting and ending destination is between the Del. Mem. Br. and 195.

I *always* take 295.  To the point of getting off the Turnpike at Exit 7 (7A after they completed the 295/195 connection) traveling southbound.

tckma

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »

With my current commute situation, I'm on the Pennsylvania Turnpike AT LEAST twice a week, and I get the same $8.64 toll from 236 to 326 that a Pennsylvania E-ZPass tagholder would get.  I'm thankful for that, as Pennsylvania charges a monthly fee that Maryland does not charge.

Are you implying you'd get charged a monthly E-ZPass charge from the PTC? 
To my knowledge (and experience, having a PTC issued E-ZPass since 2006) there is a $3 annual charge - nothing monthly.  They did briefly increase it to $6-a-year some years back, but backed it down to $3 again.

I thought it was monthly -- must have mis-read the site.

Still, $0.00 per year always beats $3.00 per year.  Since I still get the E-ZPass discount, I'll stick with my Maryland-issued transponder, thanks.

tckma

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »

iPhone

I love seeing stuff like this... Kind of scrolling through quickly, since I'm at work...  I noticed on two of the maps in Scrapbook 1 (haven't looked at the others yet), I-83 is mislabeled as I-695... was this a typo, or some kind of weird, I-80S and I-70S style 1960s numbering of interstates?

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »

iPhone

I love seeing stuff like this... Kind of scrolling through quickly, since I'm at work...  I noticed on two of the maps in Scrapbook 1 (haven't looked at the others yet), I-83 is mislabeled as I-695... was this a typo, or some kind of weird, I-80S and I-70S style 1960s numbering of interstates?
Gotta be a typo.

Mr. Matté

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:39:24 AM
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »

Are my eyes deceiving me? At what's now the I-95/DE 1/DE 7 interchange, it looks like there was a toll for those going from DE 7 south to I-95 north but not for DE 7 to I-95 north. Why wouldn't drivers on south DE 7 just make a U-turn where the divided highway ends to save the nickel or dime?

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »

Good eye!

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 01:11:27 AM »

I just thought of something, what if I-95 by the Phl Airport had a toll right there, would this have made Delaware's New castle airport a better pick for people south of the toll.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »

I just thought of something, what if I-95 by the Phl Airport had a toll right there, would this have made Delaware's New castle airport a better pick for people south of the toll.
Short answer: no.

Tolls have absolutely nothing to with regards to which airport airlines & passengers choose.  While New Castle County Airport (ILG) has had commercial flights in the past; there is absolutely no way that it can handle even half as many flights as PHL.  For starters, it's a much smaller airport than PHL & its airfield & facilities can't handle aircraft larger than 737s & A320s.  Not to mention that PHL is a hub airport for American & offers international flights as well.

Past attempts to offer flights out of ILG, be it Shuttle America (when it was still a stand-alone carrier), Delta Connection, SkyBus & even Frontier, all came & went.  Some of the carriers ceased operations (SkyBus), others overplayed their hand pricewise (Delta Connection), others were absorbed by other carriers (Shuttle America) and others just simply waited for more available gates to open up at PHL (Frontier).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:17 AM »

People have all sorts of reasons for doing what they do.  But if someone is spending a few hundred bucks for a flight, plus parking, but are turned away from an airport because of a $5 toll, then they are penny wise pound foolish.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »

Tolls have absolutely nothing to with regards to which airport airlines & passengers choose.  While New Castle County Airport (ILG) has had commercial flights in the past; there is absolutely no way that it can handle even half as many flights as PHL.  For starters, it's a much smaller airport than PHL & its airfield & facilities can't handle aircraft larger than 737s & A320s.  Not to mention that PHL is a hub airport for American & offers international flights as well.

Past attempts to offer flights out of ILG, be it Shuttle America (when it was still a stand-alone carrier), Delta Connection, SkyBus & even Frontier, all came & went.  Some of the carriers ceased operations (SkyBus), others overplayed their hand pricewise (Delta Connection), others were absorbed by other carriers (Shuttle America) and others just simply waited for more available gates to open up at PHL (Frontier).

That is true, but for more convenience and closeness, I dont understand why people wouldn't use the New Castle Airport, It calm and you would probably get on a flight or off a flight pretty fast. Imagine if Southwest Airlines was there, We would probably see a bustling airport.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »

People have all sorts of reasons for doing what they do.  But if someone is spending a few hundred bucks for a flight, plus parking, but are turned away from an airport because of a $5 toll, then they are penny wise pound foolish.

Right! thats true, but you know how people are. People barley wanna pay a toll to get on a highway to go home, so I couldn't imagine people paying a Philly 95 toll, seems like that whole area would lose money because people would take the side streets.

PHLBOS

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2019, 02:41:15 PM »

That is true, but for more convenience and closeness, I dont understand why people wouldn't use the New Castle Airport, It calm and you would probably get on a flight or off a flight pretty fast. Imagine if Southwest Airlines was there, We would probably see a bustling airport.
Again & no offense, that's not where the central core of the immediate metropolitan population is.  Additionally, several carriers have come & gone ILG because they either couldn't make a profit (airlines are in the business of making money last time I checked) and/or were overmatched/outgunned by frequency of flights at PHL.

With regards to Southwest: they typically don't set up shop at an airport unless they can start with 14 flights/day from the get-go.  I don't believe the facilities at ILG or even as another relatively nearby example Mercer-Trenton (TTN) are presently up to that challenge.  Given that they're in PHL, although smaller than what their ops were over a decade ago, I don't see them moving over to either ILG or TTN anytime soon.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:02 PM »

Frontier was the last major airline to use New Castle.  They started up there around the same time they started in Trenton, and shortly thereafter in Philly.

They've done very well in Trenton.  They are thriving in Philly.  They pulled out of New Castle. 

Seems to be there's a reason why airlines can't survive in New Castle, yet they can survive in other smaller and larger airports.

As for the airport itself, maybe they are over-exaggerating themselves.  I've mentioned this before: Take a look at their webpage: http://www.newcastleairportilg.com/ . It states they are only a 25 minute drive from Center City, Philadelphia.  The shortest distance to City Hall, Philadelphia is 34 miles (US 13, I-495, I-95, PA 611).  In order to make that distance, one would have to average 81 mph, and that includes time spent on US 13 and Broad Street in Philly.  In reality, the approximate time for that distance is nearly 50 minutes.  If you try to stay on the highway as much as possible (US 13, I-495, I-95, I-676), then it's a 38 mile trip, needing to average 91 mph.  That trip should normally be about 45 minutes. 

So, where the airport website gets 25 minutes...who knows.  But it's probably a selling point that travelers who have options have found untrue, and have decided to take their business elsewhere.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »

Frontier was the last major airline to use New Castle.  They started up there around the same time they started in Trenton, and shortly thereafter in Philly.

They've done very well in Trenton.  They are thriving in Philly.  They pulled out of New Castle. 

Seems to be there's a reason why airlines can't survive in New Castle, yet they can survive in other smaller and larger airports.

As for the airport itself, maybe they are over-exaggerating themselves.  I've mentioned this before: Take a look at their webpage: http://www.newcastleairportilg.com/ . It states they are only a 25 minute drive from Center City, Philadelphia.  The shortest distance to City Hall, Philadelphia is 34 miles (US 13, I-495, I-95, PA 611).  In order to make that distance, one would have to average 81 mph, and that includes time spent on US 13 and Broad Street in Philly.  In reality, the approximate time for that distance is nearly 50 minutes.  If you try to stay on the highway as much as possible (US 13, I-495, I-95, I-676), then it's a 38 mile trip, needing to average 91 mph.  That trip should normally be about 45 minutes. 

So, where the airport website gets 25 minutes...who knows.  But it's probably a selling point that travelers who have options have found untrue, and have decided to take their business elsewhere.
What the hell “90 minute connections from New Jersey and New York?!”  Thats stretching the truth a little. I can see why they are losing business, maybe if they focus on upgrading the airport to allow multiple airlines, atleast two. They would have more business offers. Their website is far from the truth.

iPhone

PHLBOS

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »

Actually Frontier first came to PHL within a month after Southwest started there with flights to LAX and their hub at DEN.  Later, they dropped their PHL-LAX route and once Southwest started PHL-DEN service; Frontier either dropped out of PHL (temporarily) drastically scaled back their PHL ops to 1 flight/day for a while.  It was during this period that it absorbed Milwaukee-based Midwest Airlines, became part of Republic Holdings (which also handled regional/commuter service for legacy carriers) and ultimately adopted the Ultra-Low-Cost-carrier (ULCC) model & started offering dirt-cheap fares and charged for every little extra including overhead bin space.  I believe it also took over USA 3000's routes out of PHL when that carrier went belly-up

While it was lean/non-existent at PHL; Frontier offered services (except to/from its DEN hub) at neighboring ILG & TTN.  They would later return/ramp up PHL again; I believe after they withdrew from ILG.

While true for Frontier; TTN has had similar failures (carriers come & go) as ILG in the past.  A recent example of such would be Allegiant pulling out of TTN about a month or two ago; so Frontier now has TTN all to themselves.  Side bar (and this way off topic here): Mercer County (the agency the runs TTN) is now planning on building a new terminal.

As far as why ILG has had less success than TTN; it could be due to the fact that its terminal is very small.  Such would require a major facilities expansion in order to attract more carriers/commercial service.

ILG Airport  I believe the terminal building offset from US 13/40 (DuPont Highway)
vs.
TTN Airport

Note to mods: If you want to split the aviation-related posts (which bumped this thread starting with Reply #60) to a separate thread topic in the Travel section; go right ahead.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »

iPhone

I love seeing stuff like this...

So do I, and not just for highways.  Scrapbooks of clippings and newspaper microfilms are great for tracing evolution of newspaper layout.  Take scrapbook 1 for instance, showing that during the DE Pike's gestation period, the Wilmingtion News Journal's morning edition (the Morning News) went from upstyle to sentence-style headlines (adopting the latter a few days before JFK's dedication of the road, apparently, a move that, from what I've seen, was ahead of its time in American newspapering in 1963).  Meantime the NJ's afternoon edition (the Evening Journal) stuck with upstyle (and a different headline font) for quite a few years afterward, although printed (I assume) on the same presses.  There's some clippings from the Phila. Inquirer and Bulletin as well.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.