AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Downtown Wilmington Delaware I-95 Reconstruction Project.  (Read 28787 times)

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
Re: Downtown Wilmington Delaware I-95 Reconstruction Project.
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 09:13:26 AM »

I-95 Wilmington only needs widening from Exit 6. To Exit 9 202?
Since you asked; US/DE 202 is Exit 8 off I-95.  Exit 9 is DE 3/Marsh Rd.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »

I-95 Wilmington only needs widening from Exit 6. To Exit 9 202? Is that the right exit number? & the left “Shoulder”  On 95 is already wide enough for 3 lanes & a decent right shoulder. 2 lanes is just not possible is cities anymore.

iPhone

What 95 are you talking about? The left shoulder is barely 3 feet wide as it goes thru downtown Wilmington...I'm surprised they managed to get the rumble strip in there.
https://goo.gl/maps/JKWBtSJHysT2 . For some reason GSV labels this solely as US 202, but this is I-95 North just past the MLK exit.

Right where exit 7 merges. The left lane is definitely travel size. Everything before that needs to be widened.

iPhone

That left lane is only wide for about 1/2 mile. Significant bridge widening and road work would need to be done before and after that.

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »

I-95 Wilmington only needs widening from Exit 6. To Exit 9 202? Is that the right exit number? & the left “Shoulder”  On 95 is already wide enough for 3 lanes & a decent right shoulder. 2 lanes is just not possible is cities anymore.

iPhone

What 95 are you talking about? The left shoulder is barely 3 feet wide as it goes thru downtown Wilmington...I'm surprised they managed to get the rumble strip in there.
https://goo.gl/maps/JKWBtSJHysT2 . For some reason GSV labels this solely as US 202, but this is I-95 North just past the MLK exit.

Right where exit 7 merges. The left lane is definitely travel size. Everything before that needs to be widened.

iPhone

That left lane is only wide for about 1/2 mile. Significant bridge widening and road work would need to be done before and after that.

Because they use a lane just for the exit coming on to the bridge. Shift the lanes & open up that left side. People always come flying off that exit right at the bridge anyway.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »

iPhone

iPhone

Because they use a lane just for the exit coming on to the bridge. Shift the lanes & open up that left side. People always come flying off that exit right at the bridge anyway.

iPhone

Which exit are you talking about? I think you mean on-ramps. And the left lane...which is the thru lane on 95, would need to then end because of the overpasses.  That is generally horrible traffic engineering and prone to congestion.

An example of that was 95 South approaching Exit 5's DE 141, where 95 ultimately only had 1 thru lane. That condition lasted way too long.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »

iPhone

iPhone

iPhone

Which exit are you talking about? I think you mean on-ramps. And the left lane...which is the thru lane on 95, would need to then end because of the overpasses.  That is generally horrible traffic engineering and prone to congestion.

An example of that was 95 South approaching Exit 5's DE 141, where 95 ultimately only had 1 thru lane. That condition lasted way too long.
The Adam street on ramp. Does it really need its own lane ? The bridge is 3 lanes thats enough. & are you speaking of the 2 lanes of Newport/newcastle with the flyover ramp from 495 or where traffic related merges by the salt house of the new castle to I-95 exit?

iPhone

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »

The Adam street on ramp. Does it really need its own lane ? The bridge is 3 lanes thats enough. & are you speaking of the 2 lanes of Newport/newcastle with the flyover ramp from 495 or where traffic related merges by the salt house of the new castle to I-95 exit?

If you're talking about the NB ramp from N Adams Street, it desperately needs its own lane.  It is a "merge or die" situation and I have seen many accidents there.  The ramp from S Adams should be an acceleration lane (there's plenty of length) and the N Adams on-ramp should be the third lane on the bridge.  DelDOT claims there is nothing they can do, but they could do that easily

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 12:12:42 AM »

First off. Why did Deldot build 95 with only two lanes thru the City when it has three lanes up to Exit 6? & then build a three lane Brandywine bridge? Did the plans get changed or did they goof up & thats the reason why there’s a lane sized left lane on both sides past exit 7.

iPhone

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »

First off. Why did Deldot build 95 with only two lanes thru the City when it has three lanes up to Exit 6? & then build a three lane Brandywine bridge? Did the plans get changed or did they goof up & thats the reason why there’s a lane sized left lane on both sides past exit 7.

The Delaware Turnpike was originally built with 4 lanes (2 each way).
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »

So they rebuilt the mainline 95 in the 80’s. But what stopped them in the Viaduct? It looks like it has enough space. Does Creating a new lane of road really effect the area around it?

iPhone

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 06:14:45 AM »

So they rebuilt the mainline 95 in the 80’s. But what stopped them in the Viaduct? It looks like it has enough space. Does Creating a new lane of road really effect the area around it?

Not sure the exact years of the widenings, but when I first drove it in 1972 the Turnpike had been widened to 6 lanes (3 each way).  It was widened to 8 lanes (4 each way) in the 1980s, except for the westernmost mile.

I-495 opened in 1977 and that provided enough total capacity that they could leave I-95 in the downtown at 4 lanes.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 07:12:29 AM »

iPhone

When you look at the northern end of the viaduct the right bridge barrier flares out so there's evidence that there was go in to be something else. I forget what that was going to be though.

And a lot can change when an additional lane is added. You still need shoulders and accel/decal lanes. Additional drainage. Additional places for that drainage to go, etc.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »

iPhone

When you look at the northern end of the viaduct the right bridge barrier flares out so there's evidence that there was go in to be something else. I forget what that was going to be though.

And a lot can change when an additional lane is added. You still need shoulders and accel/decal lanes. Additional drainage. Additional places for that drainage to go, etc.

This is the Southbound 95 side as most of you know. But it just boggles my mind to why they have the extra pavement for almost the whole viaduct & they didn’t use it. Even if this was a zipper lane it might reduce rush-hour traffic in this area.

iPhone

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 02:11:31 PM »

^ First, you're aware the pictures you posted are not actually the viaduct, right?

Second, for an urban section such as this, inside shoulder standards are 10 feet.  You don't have enough room there to fit another lane in and still have a 10 foot shoulder.

Lastly, even if you were to stripe that as another lane, you'd be creating another bottleneck where you'd have to taper it down at the start of the viaduct at 4th St.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »

Yeah, you're going to have to be clear what you're talking about. The viaduct is the straight stretch of I95 between 495 and Exit 6, MLK Blvd.  The Brandywine Bridge is between Exits 7 (Rt. 52) and Exit 8 (Rt. 202). The stretch you're concerned with is a very short stretch of highway where they can't just restripe it as another lane as there would be merging issues. A zipper barrier won't resolve anything.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »

Yeah, you're going to have to be clear what you're talking about. The viaduct is the straight stretch of I95 between 495 and Exit 6, MLK Blvd.  The Brandywine Bridge is between Exits 7 (Rt. 52) and Exit 8 (Rt. 202). The stretch you're concerned with is a very short stretch of highway where they can't just restripe it as another lane as there would be merging issues. A zipper barrier won't resolve anything.
Ok, sorry im working & typing at the same time so im not getting everything together correctly. I know realize that a viaduct is a part of highway that is elevated, OK! & when I said Zipper J&N. Im speaking of a zipper Lane. As in a quick lane to merge. Such as “476’s truck lane” . What is that area of highway called when it goes thru a downtown section.

iPhone

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »

A highway.

But even still, there is no room to expand the highway without essentially rebuilding the entire roadway, which isn't happening here. This project is to extend the lifespan of the current viaduct and infrastructure for another 30 years.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »

It was the exit for Delaware Avenue. They tore that out and slid it down to it's current location when they built the MLKJ Blvd Ramps I believe.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »

It was the exit for Delaware Avenue. They tore that out and slid it down to it's current location when they built the MLKJ Blvd Ramps I believe.
While driving I noticed that the only way to make it 3 lanes thru the urban area is to cut off the MLK Southbound on ramp. They can connect the bridges. But it will be very dark under 95 in the day & night.

iPhone

Tonytone

• ValuezTV

jeffandnicole

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »

History of I-95 Projects
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2018/10/12/interstate-95-delaware-timeline-history-future-construction/1613425002/

iPhone

Something is better than nothing.  But I couldn't help notice that the last widening mentioned of the Delaware Turnpike was to 6 lanes in 1968-69.  Nothing about it being 4 lanes thru Delaware?  Nothing about the 5th lane between 141 & 1?  And the very first thing only talks about how much was collected in tolls the first day.

The history of 95 is more like a random sampling of events.  Glad you posted it though because it does provide some dates of events, such as the removal of the ramp tolls. It would've been nice for the News Journal to provide the full articles, or do a little more research.  But like most newspapers today, they're not really keen on spending time or money to provide a good historic report of anything.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

If you wanted granular information, you can do the research in a newspaper archive (newspapers.com, for instance). A newspaper article does not need to expel every minute piece of information because these articles often times run in print where space is a commodity. And a newspaper is not necessarily a ledger of historical timelines but of more generalized information or of information that can be digested. It's why we have other mediums.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »

If you wanted granular information, you can do the research in a newspaper archive (newspapers.com, for instance). A newspaper article does not need to expel every minute piece of information because these articles often times run in print where space is a commodity. And a newspaper is not necessarily a ledger of historical timelines but of more generalized information or of information that can be digested. It's why we have other mediums.

It wasn't an article.  It was a photo timeline on their online edition.

And a newspaper, historically speaking, has absolutely been used for historic research purposes.  To think otherwise shows how badly newspapers have lost one of their purposes of significance.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2018, 11:40:29 AM »

Thanks for the clarification - I can't see it on mobile (AARoads on mobile isn't the greatest experience). And while I agree on your last two points - and newspapers is something I rely on daily for my research needs, it's not the only source. Often times, I am having to use multiple articles or multiple source types to get a broad view of a location or site because of inaccuracies of the information presented or the political leanings of an editor in a newspaper. I would say that on the whole, newspapers tend to be notoriously unreliable for accurate information because of time and space considerations. Unless you are working on one of those Pulitzer articles, it's just not going to get the attention or fact checking it deserves. (And many newspapers long ago ditched their fact checker positions.)

jeffandnicole

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »

Unless you are working on one of those Pulitzer articles, it's just not going to get the attention or fact checking it deserves. (And many newspapers long ago ditched their fact checker positions.)

That is the absolute truth.  Everyone's goal appears to be get a story out first, and to hell with anything being correct.  Corrections can be done later, after incorrect names and info have been published.  I've long believed many stories are written on an iPhone while the reporter is sitting in bed. 

And every story must be accompanied by a picture.  If it's an accident on 95 in Wilmington, a picture of a cop car, traffic driving along a random area of highway, or a Google Maps shot suffices.   

If you want to see a story in action: I often go to public meetings about road projects.  Maybe they'll be announced in the paper in advance, or talked about afterwards, but rarely both (at least in my area).  It doesn't matter what the viewpoint of the audience is, the article will be negative towards the project.  If there's 1,000 people in attendance, 999 people have the same view and 1 has an opposing view to the project, that 1 will be interviewed and their statement printed. Anyone who wasn't in attendance will thing that most people had that opposing view, when in fact is was just the opposite.

One memorable instance of reporters just printing whatever they feel like was when a nearby street had a few 4 way stops added.  There's very little traffic on the street, but obviously those living on the street wanted traffic to slow down more.  There happened to be an article after the signs went up, and one neighbor said how much safer she felt to cross the street.  I live near this street.  I'm on this street almost daily.  And I walk along the street as well.  I'm thinking...I've never seen much traffic on the street, and if someone was crossing the street, my one car wasn't going to make a difference, nor have I ever had to wait for more than a car or two.   How these reporters manage to find these people is mind-boggling.

And with newspaper and traditional media cutting back, a lot of these journalist college students wind up trying to find any work at all.  Remember recently when everyone was upset that a teenager caught trick-or-treating could be sentenced to 6 months in jail?  Turns out that was some very old law in some very old city that an inspiring journalist happen to see.  He wrote up an article on it, submitted it to a click-bait website, and it managed to get wings.  That's how much of today's reporting gets done - find shit that isn't really applicable or sounds way worse than what it is, hope it gets noticed, and watch the innocent mayors and other public officials try to figure out what's going on, and try to insist that no 14 year old will be seeing a half-year of jail for wearing a costume.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »

What I really hate is when local newspapers get sucked into some larger conglomerate. The Cincinnati Enquirer went down the route and many good friends ended up getting laid off or fired when they couldn't reach the virality or eyeballs set by some far-flung executive. Like USA Today or Tronc.

A good example is my local paper, part of USA Today, that has to have a photo or video in -every- article, whether it is relevant or not: https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/local/2018/10/12/bicyclist-who-died-identified-74-year-old-lansing-resident/1612721002/

Bicyclist killed? Let's put up a video about Taughannock Falls for more clicks and 3-second views on that video. Article about the Cuomo signs? Let's put up a non-related video about a politician scandal. Etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.