Rural Freeways That Need Six Lanes

Started by webny99, January 01, 2019, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 06, 2021, 08:57:07 PM
I go to Bellingham from Seattle regularly, and traffic is never really a concern north of Smokey Point.  I don't think 6 lanes is justified north of Mt. Vernon. 

I think the state should focus on upgrading the SR-18 corridor between Hobart and Snoqualmie since it's the critical arterial for Tacoma from I-90.   I don't use that route, but I see traffic backed up on the climb from North Bend on I-90 WB at that exit sometimes when I return from the mountains.

Also, US-2 between Monroe and Stevens Pass so I can go skiing faster.  :bigass:

For 18, the biggest issues are certainly safety and access. It's a high speed road with lots of curves are little in the way of room for error (at least in the stretches without a divider). The access at 18 is a massive issue but will be temporarily resolved when it is modified into a DDI in a year or two. Still, the ultimate solution is a total rebuild of 18 into a four-lane freeway with a proper interchange at I-90.

But, 18 over Tiger Mountain has about a third the number of cars as I-5 through Mt Vernon/Burlington. Purely in terms of capacity, I-5 is just as deserving of a third lane as 18 is deserving of a second lane. North of Mount Vernon/Burlington, a third lane is harder to justify. Although a proper six-lane rebuild of I-5 in Bellingham should be considered too.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 06, 2021, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 05, 2021, 10:34:25 PM
Exit 13 (Lumberton) to Exit 40 (Fayetteville) will be widened to 8 lanes beginning next year, in addition to the under construction or soon to be portion from Exit 56 to Exit 81.

Exit 40 to Exit 56 (Fayetteville Bypass) will remain 4 lanes for the time being.

In all honesty, all of these 8 lane segments would reasonably suffice at 6 lanes, so it will be a major relief for traffic especially on peak weekends for those long distances once it is all complete by 2026.

Next segment needs to be Fayetteville Bypass to 8 lanes, then 6 lanes from Lumberton to South Carolina.

South Carolina desperately needs to prioritize at least 6 lanes from I-26 to Georgia. That segment is notorious during peak weekends. It's still bad north of there, but certainly better with some of that I-26 split traffic gone.

Then of course there's I-26 itself from Columbia to Charleston.
And does I-95 in Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids need 8 lanes?
No.

US 89

From my experience it would be really nice if I-85 could get six lanes all the way through Georgia and east Alabama, at least from Auburn AL up towards Greenville SC. The part in eastern Alabama especially has very heavy traffic every time I'm on it.

Would also be nice to have a fully 6 laned I-20 from Birmingham to Atlanta. Alabama has done most of their part for this, but Georgia has shown no real interest in it.

sprjus4

Georgia needs to do to I-85 what they did to I-75 and I-95... 6 lanes throughout the state.

They're making good progress heading towards South Carolina, and given SCDOT's progress on the Spartanburg to North Carolina projects, it's inevitable they'll eventually go south towards Georgia in the future. The last piece would be NCDOT between South Carolina and US-74 which will, again, inevitably happen, and you would have a 6 lane minimum corridor between Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on May 07, 2021, 09:48:29 AM
From my experience it would be really nice if I-85 could get six lanes all the way through Georgia and east Alabama, at least from Auburn AL up towards Greenville SC. The part in eastern Alabama especially has very heavy traffic every time I'm on it.

How far do six lanes currently extend south of Atlanta? It seems like six lanes would be reasonable at least to I-185, if not to Auburn.

froggie

Ca. 2008, 8 lanes were extended south to the north end of Newnan (GA 34/Exit 47), with 6 lanes down to a mile or two south of the Grantville exit (US 29/Exit 35).  I drove through the construction when I transferred from Mississippi to DC.

Avalanchez71

One issue I have with 6 lanes on a rural Interstate is the build characteristic.  They seem to built the road with more of an urban feel in lieu of a rural feel.  I like the look and feel of the rural Interstate characteristic.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2021, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 06, 2021, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 05, 2021, 10:34:25 PM
Exit 13 (Lumberton) to Exit 40 (Fayetteville) will be widened to 8 lanes beginning next year, in addition to the under construction or soon to be portion from Exit 56 to Exit 81.

Exit 40 to Exit 56 (Fayetteville Bypass) will remain 4 lanes for the time being.

In all honesty, all of these 8 lane segments would reasonably suffice at 6 lanes, so it will be a major relief for traffic especially on peak weekends for those long distances once it is all complete by 2026.

Next segment needs to be Fayetteville Bypass to 8 lanes, then 6 lanes from Lumberton to South Carolina.

South Carolina desperately needs to prioritize at least 6 lanes from I-26 to Georgia. That segment is notorious during peak weekends. It's still bad north of there, but certainly better with some of that I-26 split traffic gone.

Then of course there's I-26 itself from Columbia to Charleston.
And does I-95 in Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids need 8 lanes?
No.
How about 6 lanes?

webny99

Quote from: froggie on May 07, 2021, 12:32:53 PM
Ca. 2008, 8 lanes were extended south to the north end of Newnan (GA 34/Exit 47), with 6 lanes down to a mile or two south of the Grantville exit (US 29/Exit 35).  I drove through the construction when I transferred from Mississippi to DC.

Not far from I-185, then, with only one more interchange in between. Not sure what volumes are like, but it seems like they might as well extend the six-laning over that short stretch.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 07, 2021, 12:37:47 PM
One issue I have with 6 lanes on a rural Interstate is the build characteristic.  They seem to built the road with more of an urban feel in lieu of a rural feel.  I like the look and feel of the rural Interstate characteristic.

This is probably at least in part because many have concrete barriers in the median... not all do, though!

sprjus4

Depends on the circumstances. If there's a wide median, usually the feel can remain of a rural area. But in more tight right of way circumstances with a narrow median, sometimes building into that and putting up a jersey barrier is the best option.

I like the look and feel of rural interstates too, but if it's a heavily traveled corridor, I fully support any and all widening that is necessary to achieve high level of service operations even during the most peak of weekends. Look at I-65 in Kentucky, I-75 in Georgia, I-95 in Georgia, I-35 in Texas, I-95 in Virginia (well... better than 4 lanes but volumes are so high it ideally needs 8 lanes down to Richmond), I-295 in Virginia, I-71 in Ohio, NJTP in New Jersey, and many more examples that have significant 6+ lane rural portions.

Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2021, 12:24:40 PM
How far do six lanes currently extend south of Atlanta? It seems like six lanes would be reasonable at least to I-185, if not to Auburn.
South of the I-285 Perimeter...

8 lanes - 22 miles to Newnan
6 lanes built to accommodate 8 lanes - an additional 7 miles south
6 lanes - an additional 7 miles south

So in total, about 36 miles south of I-285 has 6 or more lanes. About 12 miles short of I-185.

I-85 carries around 50,000 - 55,000 AADT south of Newnan to the I-185 split. South of the split, about 20,000 AADT on I-185 and 30,000 - 35,000 AADT on I-85.

So agreed, 6 lanes to the I-185 split does seem to be a reasonable next widening project on that portion. Less need south of there.

SkyPesos

I'm sort of surprised I-85 isn't 6 laned between Atlanta and Charlotte yet. Isn't it one of the most important corridors in the Southeast?

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 07, 2021, 12:37:59 PM
How about 6 lanes?
Long term, I'd argue 6 lanes is necessary for all of I-95 in North Carolina, and to be honest, probably all of I-95 from VA I-295 to the Georgia state line. We'll probably see North Carolina make more progress on more projects though before South Carolina starts anything, and I don't even think Virginia has even discussed any sort of widening south of VA I-295 to the North Carolina state line. Considering they haven't even with I-81 besides urban areas, climbing lanes, and Christiansburg - Roanoke (which is badly needed more so than the rest of the corridor), I doubt it will ever actually become a real discussion any time soon.

sprjus4

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 07, 2021, 01:00:00 PM
I'm sort of surprised I-85 isn't 6 laned between Atlanta and Charlotte yet. Isn't it one of the most important corridors in the Southeast?
I-85 hasn't been fully 6 laned yet, but significant progress has been made and more is to come. Even South Carolina is doing a lot, which must mean something.

See my previous post.

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2021, 09:55:52 AM
Georgia needs to do to I-85 what they did to I-75 and I-95... 6 lanes throughout the state.

They're making good progress heading towards South Carolina, and given SCDOT's progress on the Spartanburg to North Carolina projects, it's inevitable they'll eventually go south towards Georgia in the future. The last piece would be NCDOT between South Carolina and US-74 which will, again, inevitably happen, and you would have a 6 lane minimum corridor between Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 07, 2021, 01:00:00 PM

On the other hand, much of it is in South Carolina, a state that contains neither city, but is also, to put it charitably, not known for extensive six-laning projects (see also: I-95 and I-26).

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2021, 01:02:25 PM
I-85 hasn't been fully 6 laned yet, but significant progress has been made and more is to come. Even South Carolina is doing a lot, which must mean something.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Are there any current widening projects?

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2021, 01:04:11 PM
Interesting, I was not aware of that. Are there any current widening projects?
29 miles (MM 77 to 106) between Spartanburg and the North Carolina state line is currently under construction being widened to 6 lanes.
http://www.85widening.com/

58 miles (MM 19 to 77) is already 6 lanes or more lanes. The only portion remaining for South Carolina to have a continuous 6 lane corridor throughout the state (pending the completion of the northern projects) is 19 miles south to the Georgia state line. If that project is complete, presumably once Georgia extends their projects to the South Carolina state line, I-85 would become their first interstate highway to span state line to state line with 6 or more lanes throughout.

I was not aware of this project, but apparently widening from 6 to 8 lanes is being planned for MM 40 to MM 69 which would cover the 29 miles from I-185 south of Greenville, through Greenville, and up to the I-85 / I-85 Business split south of Spartanburg.
https://www.scdot.org/business/i-85-widening-mm40-69.aspx

Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2021, 01:04:11 PM
On the other hand, much of it is in South Carolina, a state that contains neither city, but is also, to put it charitably, not known for extensive six-laning projects (see also: I-95 and I-26).
That is true, but I-85 does pass through Greenville and Spartanburg, which combined, is a major metropolitan / population center that portion of the state. Like half of I-85 in South Carolina is that urban corridor. And unfortunately, because it is South Carolina and their strict urban speed limit regulations, means a continuous, universally ignored, 60 mph speed limit for that entire 30+ mile stretch. North of Spartanburg and south of Greenville, it's 65 mph. The only 70 mph portion through the entire state is the short 90s Spartanburg bypass.

kphoger

So you'd like something more like this.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2021, 02:06:55 PM
VDOT did pretty good on widening I-95 between Ashland and Woodbridge in 80s keeping a "rural" feel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9683937,-77.4904622,3a,75y,339.54h,85.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ8FZbRf8nGV32KqpZv1Kmg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.98858,-77.4926666,3a,49.4y,2.5h,87.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3H3v8Kr4m5x_1AojzGo4YQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0289439,-77.4989886,3a,48.9y,6.92h,85.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUisBp61Prz8ijnbnieaycQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

This is probably the most "urban" feel - https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7734541,-77.4620877,3a,48.8y,6.56h,80.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp9GpE9KYavAaYDCXGDOUbA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

Examples like I-35 in Texas, I-40/I-85 in North Carolina, or what is currently being built along I-95 in North Carolina on the other hand though... left shoulder with a continuous running concrete median barrier... would be the opposite.
What happened to NCDOT building highways like
this? Looks like they stopped.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 07, 2021, 04:19:03 PM
Right of way.

OCGuy81

Is there any plan to expand I-10 west of Brookshire?  Looking at Google maps looks like it drops to 4 lanes.  Given how that portion of I-10 connects the two largest cities in Texas, you'd think more than 2 in each direction would be needed.

sprjus4

I-10 is being expanded to 6 lanes out to US-77. Long term plans call to keep going to San Antonio. It's happening... they're making significant progress 20-30 miles at a time.

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2021, 12:46:58 PM
Quote from: stevashe on April 29, 2021, 02:10:58 PM

WSDOT is considering widening I-5 between Mellen St in Centralia and Main St/SR 6 in Chehalis, we'll have to wait and see what they decide on. Really this is the main area that would need widening anyway, at least in the short term. The rest of the segment doesn't really experience any congestion issues at this point.

With regards to the work needed to close the gap, I was actually surprised when driving it recently by just how many times it's broken up by auxiliary lanes and climbing lanes. Currently these segments have three lanes in at least one direction:

• Exit 76 to Exit 72 (both directions)
  • Exit 71 to Exit 68 (SB climbing lane)
  • Exit 63 to 1 mile north (NB climbing lane)
  • Exit 59 to Exit 60 (NB climbing lane)
All those interruptions mean that the longest continuous segment with 4 lanes is only 6.5 miles!

Great research there. I knew from driving it quite a few times that the two-lane stretch never seemed to last that long. And maybe on paper, the two lane stretch is fairly long, but all of those climbing lanes and auxiliary lanes certainly mean that a six-lane future is actually quite achievable. But filling in those gaps is certainly easier said than done.

Thanks! Yeah it definitely will take a lot of work, but I assume it's on the DOT's radar since those aux lanes were clearly built with future widening in mind, they certainly aren't needed for the non-existant mass of merging/weaving traffic in that area! Not to mention recent bridges are wide/long enough to accommodate three lanes as well. The biggest barrier is definitely I-5's bridges over the rivers, as identified previously.

Quote from: jakeroot
Back in the north end...

I was at the Tulip Festival again this last weekend, which helped me take in I-5 from Burlington to Mount Vernon again. Some of my takeaways:

* the six lane stretch of I-5 only ends just south of Mount Vernon. There is plenty of freeway north of there, yes, but I think we forget just how far the six-lane stretch goes already.
* I-5 through Burlington and Mount Vernon is not quiet at all. It's not I-5-through-Seattle busy, but it's far from dead. It felt very crowded.
* North of Mount Vernon is tight, but there is enough room to preliminarily widen I-5 up to exit 226, just south of this stretch. Only the Blackburn overpass would need replacing (the others were built to allow six lanes).

Yup! Even when I was a kid, I remember the Old Hwy 99 S was the place where the third lane dropped with an EXIT ONLY. And given that the portion south of there is paved in concrete, I'd guess it's been that way for a very long time, if not from when the Interstate was built.

The freeway is definitely busy north of the lane drop there as you go through Mt Vernon and Burlington, however, I can't remember ever sitting through a traffic jam because of it. I suspect this is why there are studies at the south end (Centralia/Chehalis) and not here, because that segment definitely does back up frequently. Heck, it even seems like they haven't even looked at widening from a safety perspective up there *cough cough* Skagit River Bridge *cough*

Quote from: jakeroot on May 07, 2021, 01:42:33 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 06, 2021, 08:57:07 PM
I go to Bellingham from Seattle regularly, and traffic is never really a concern north of Smokey Point.  I don't think 6 lanes is justified north of Mt. Vernon. 

I think the state should focus on upgrading the SR-18 corridor between Hobart and Snoqualmie since it's the critical arterial for Tacoma from I-90.   I don't use that route, but I see traffic backed up on the climb from North Bend on I-90 WB at that exit sometimes when I return from the mountains.

Also, US-2 between Monroe and Stevens Pass so I can go skiing faster.  :bigass:

For 18, the biggest issues are certainly safety and access. It's a high speed road with lots of curves are little in the way of room for error (at least in the stretches without a divider). The access at 18 is a massive issue but will be temporarily resolved when it is modified into a DDI in a year or two. Still, the ultimate solution is a total rebuild of 18 into a four-lane freeway with a proper interchange at I-90.

But, 18 over Tiger Mountain has about a third the number of cars as I-5 through Mt Vernon/Burlington. Purely in terms of capacity, I-5 is just as deserving of a third lane as 18 is deserving of a second lane. North of Mount Vernon/Burlington, a third lane is harder to justify. Although a proper six-lane rebuild of I-5 in Bellingham should be considered too.

SR 18 is actually in the works, though. There are preliminary plans posted on WSDOT's website, and the current transportation package being worked on by the legislature includes funding. It's anyone's guess as to if it will make it into the final bill, though.

And a US 2 upgrade would be nice in Monroe and is sorely needed in Sultan, but alas, it doesn't seem like that will be happening anytime soon. The focus seems to be on replacing the WB trestle for that route.

Bickendan

Blurring the rural/urban bit a bit, couple California nominations:
CA 1 from Santa Cruz to Watsonville (CA 17 to CA 152), to say nothing of the Watsonville to Castroville's 2 lane segment...

US 101 from Pismo Beach to SLO or even Astacadero or Paso Robles (there's a six lane expressway section climbing over the hills between SLO and Santa Maria. At grades with a six lane expressway is just a scary idea...).

Tom958

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2021, 04:24:30 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 07, 2021, 04:19:03 PM
Right of way.

No, not right-of-way, and they didn't even necessarily stop. This rebuilt section of I-85 at Spencer has a very tight right-of-way and still has that same narrow grassed median. I pass through only occasionally and I haven't had much of a chance to observe, but I suspect that the decision of whether or not to provide a median has much more to do with construction phasing and detours rather than which type of median is preferable. I expect to see more of this type of thing when the narrow-median sections of I-95 are widened.

Bickendan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.