AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 226528 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Maryland
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM »

Not only that, but it seems fairly well used. Wouldn't you rather use a free-flow loop than a left turn with conflict?

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
Re: Maryland
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:18:39 AM »

Might also be because using that left-hand turn avoids weaving traffic concerns with the loop ramp from I-70 east to US 29 north? Not that I imagine it gets a huge amount of traffic, but its just a thought...

Mr_Northside

• "Oh god... They'll know! They'll know!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
    • Currently playing washboard in Ye Olde Royal Shithouse Players
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

The first time I saw that, I had assumed maybe there was a construction project or something that necessitated it.
Seeing it again the next time, I realized it wasn't temporary.  I'm guessing it's not a "big deal" cause traffic volumes on the short piece of road north of I-70 isn't very huge.

That being said, every time I've come back from the beach (using 29-to-70) I still just use the loop ramp.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »

There's also one on US 460 EB for the I-81 NB C/D Road in Christiansburg and I do believe that is for weaving reasons and to somewhat lessen congestion when Virginia Tech has home games.  I plan on using that from now on since one time I almost got in a wreck when I used the loop ramp there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

treichard

• Last Login: June 30, 2014, 10:51:02 PM
    • Clinched Highway Mapping
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »

With both options on US 29 NB, you can access I-70 WB from either lane without needing to change lanes.  When you don't  have to wait for oncoming traffic for the left turn option, it's faster due to the lesser length of the ramp.

The same is true on Shawan Road WB to get to I-83 SB a few interchanges north of the Baltimore Beltway.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

OracleUsr

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 11:00:13 PM
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »

What beach would you use US 29 for if you don't mind me asking?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:57 AM »

treichard, that may have been true in the past, but there's now a light where the left turn crosses southbound US 29.

OracleUsr, US 29 to MD 100 or MD 32 is a nice bypass of Baltimore.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr_Northside

• "Oh god... They'll know! They'll know!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
    • Currently playing washboard in Ye Olde Royal Shithouse Players
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »

Exactly..
Over the years it's gotten easier to get from Western PA to the Delmarva beaches.  I remember real early on (Pre I-97) using the Balt. Beltway and MD-2 to get to US-50/Bay Bridge, with all the traffic lights (Though I'm sure it's a lot worse in Glen Burnie these days.)  We also tried the DC Beltway a couple of years to compare.

US-29 to MD-100 or 32 (obviously MD-32 was used before MD-100 was finished) works out pretty well...  But it would be even nicer if Maryland would freeway MD-32 the rest of the way to I-70.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

• Not affiliated with PennDOT nor the PTC

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:44:55 PM
    • Pennsylvania Highways
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

MD 32 moves pretty well for a two-laners between MD 108 and I-70, more so now that SHA has eliminated the signals at Burntwoods and Pfefferkorn Roads.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Part of bridge needs replacing after beltway (I-695) crash

Two beams on the southbound Interstate 95 bridge spanning the Baltimore Beltway will need to be replaced following Monday afternoon's crash involving an oversized piece of construction equipment.

Engineers conducted structural tests overnight and determined that two of three beams over the shoulder of the interstate were damaged by the arm of an excavator being hauled from a nearby construction site, said David Buck, spokesman for the State Highway Administration.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:38:13 PM »

MD 32 moves pretty well for a two-laners between MD 108 and I-70, more so now that SHA has eliminated the signals at Burntwoods and Pfefferkorn Roads.

I agree.  Those signals had been the scene of some spectacularly bad crashes over the years.

But the traffic volumes on this section of Md. 32 (between I-70 at Cooksville and Md. 108 at Clarksville) merit a four-lane highway with full access control (and maybe a reconstructed interchange at I-70 and 32, since the existing diamond is not appropriate for a junction of two controlled-access highways).

I recall reading someplace that this section of 32 has the highest ADT or AADT or AAWDT of any two-lane undivided road in Maryland. 

cpzilliacus

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »

Annapolis Evening Capital: Bay Bridge revenue up 25 percent

New, higher tolls on the Bay Bridge netted the state about $739,000 more last month than during the same month in 2010, according to preliminary statistics released by the Maryland Transportation Authority.

MDRoads

• Last Login: July 22, 2023, 09:05:12 PM
    • MDRoads : Guide to Maryland Highways
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »

The 2010 AADT for 2-lane MD 32 in Howard Co. was 27,440 south of the new Burnt Woods interchange to MD 108 in Clarksville, and 23,920 up from there to I-70.  It's higher north of the I-70 interchange toward Sykesville, increasing to 24,320.  Would have to think (for now undivided) MD 404 has that beat somehow on AAWDT in summer.

I recall reading someplace that this section of 32 has the highest ADT or AADT or AAWDT of any two-lane undivided road in Maryland.  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:57:05 PM by MDRoads »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »

The 2010 AADT for 2-lane MD 32 in Howard Co. was 27,440 south of the new Burnt Woods interchange to MD 108 in Clarksville, and 23,920 up from there to I-70.  It's higher north of the I-70 interchange toward Sykesville, increasing to 24,320.  Would have to think (for now undivided) MD 404 has that beat somehow on AAWDT in summer.

If it was my decision, Md. 32 would be four lanes divided all the way from Clarksville (Md. 108) at least to Sykesville (Md. 851) - and probably to Eldersburg (Md. 26), and full access control between Md. 108 and I-70.

You are almost certainly correct about Md. 404 having higher summer weekend volumes of traffic.

Do you know when the dualization of Md. 404 between Denton and U.S. 50 might be completed?

cpzilliacus

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »

Baltimore Sun: Five Maryland toll bridges to receive security upgrade

Five state-owned toll bridges will be getting an $11 million security upgrade, including new lighting, sensors to detect stopped vehicles and cameras to peer above and below the spans.

Work on the bridges – Bay, Key, Nice, Tydings and Hatem – is expected to begin in late winter and take 18 months. The contract went to SAIC, a Virginia company with offices in Laurel, said Maryland Transportation Authority spokeswoman Teri Moss.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »

WTOP reports that Maryland may consider whether to create shoulder lanes on I-270 between Frederick and the northern end of the HOV lanes, presumably in a similar style to those on I-66.

I assume if they did that they'd probably decrease the current 65-mph speed limit to 55 mph.

This is a really, really bad idea, for several reasons.

(1) It's a much longer distance than the "shoulder use" lanes on I-66.

(2) There are several long and relatively steep grades.

(3) There are truck weigh/inspection stations on both sides between Md. 121 (Clarksburg) and Md. 109 (Hyattstown) - how to get trucks in and out of them without mixing it up with shoulder use traffic is beyond me.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »

Agreed. I don't like the shoulder lanes on I-66 either, though I will concede that as a general matter they've worked better there than the ones on I-95 did (no doubt due in no small part to the use of lane-control signals on I-66, compared to their reliance on white regulatory signs on I-95). Still way too many people driving in them illegally, and even when they're used properly, you still have a problem with relying on the "emergency pull-off" areas for breakdowns. Cars do not necessarily break down only at the designated spots.

"mtantillo" of this forum has noted in the past that the FHWA originally gave Virginia approval for the shoulder lanes as a temporary measure pending real improvements. That's obviously turned into an indefinite kind of thing, as just about anyone can recognize that trying to take away that sort of "lane" without providing a replacement will simply not work because the driving public won't accept it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »

Agreed. I don't like the shoulder lanes on I-66 either, though I will concede that as a general matter they've worked better there than the ones on I-95 did (no doubt due in no small part to the use of lane-control signals on I-66, compared to their reliance on white regulatory signs on I-95). Still way too many people driving in them illegally, and even when they're used properly, you still have a problem with relying on the "emergency pull-off" areas for breakdowns. Cars do not necessarily break down only at the designated spots.

And if you want to use these types of lanes, then it becomes essential to have intensive freeway service patrols (SSP in Va., CHART in Md.) working them  to deal with disabled vehicles.

"mtantillo" of this forum has noted in the past that the FHWA originally gave Virginia approval for the shoulder lanes as a temporary measure pending real improvements. That's obviously turned into an indefinite kind of thing, as just about anyone can recognize that trying to take away that sort of "lane" without providing a replacement will simply not work because the driving public won't accept it.

I recall very well when the "interim" lanes opened about 1993 or 1994.  They were done that way as a money-saving measure, since real concurrent-flow HOV lanes (with shoulders on both sides) would have required extensive and expensive reconstruction of bridges over I-66 most of the way from U.S. 50 (Lee-Jackson Highway) to I-495.   Compare and contrast this segment of I-66 with the one between Va. 234 Business (Sudley Road) and U.S. 50 (which was totally reconstructed as part of building HOV lanes).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Two I-95 travel plazas to be rebuilt in revenue-sharing plan

Maryland has taken the first step toward replacing its two travel plazas on Interstate 95 north of Baltimore with expansive, airy welcome centers filled with amenities and operated by a company with years of experience serving travelers.

The two-year, $56 million project to rebuild Maryland House and Chesapeake House as a public-private partnership with Areas USA was approved Monday by the Maryland Transportation Authority board. The deal requires the approval of the Board of Public Works next month and review by the General Assembly.

The state would retain ownership and oversight of the plazas, while Areas USA would operate and maintain them through 2047. Areas USA would put up the $56 million, while the state estimates it would receive more than $400 million in revenue over the life of the contract.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »

At that price, I don't imagine it would include replacing the current left-exits/entrances with right-side exits/entrances.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »

At that price, I don't imagine it would include replacing the current left-exits/entrances with right-side exits/entrances.

I don't recall seeing that as a requirement in the MdTA bid documents (though I did not read all of them), though it would have been (and it is still) a great idea - I intensely dislike the left-side entrances and exits to and from service plazas, be they on I-95 or the Garden State Parkway (and in the case of Maryland House and Chesapeake House, I think there's plenty of room to put the service plaza entrances and exits on the right with flyovers to eliminate the "wrong side" ramps).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »

TOLLROADSnews: Maryland toll authority to sign 35 year $180m/$198m PV concession on I-95 Kennedy Hwy service plazas

The board of directors of Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA) operator of the I-95 Kennedy Highway Toll Road has approved signing of a 35 year concession on its two service plazas. The selected concessionaire Areas USA is a local subsidiary of a large established international company Grupo Areas SA head-officed in Barcelona Spain with major food concessions in 70 airports and 160 other toll and travel service plazas mostly in Europe and Latin America.

Areas USA is doing eight service plazas on Florida's Turnpike and major food/refreshment concessions at eleven US airports including Los Angeles, Atlanta and Boston.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.