AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 226536 times)

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
Re: Maryland
« Reply #2025 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »

For those who take an interest in the realignment of intersections, this may be interesting.

Here is a map of the North Bethesda / South Rockville area, centered around Old Georgetown and Executive. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0505459,-77.118678,15.94z

In the old days, Old Georgetown (OG) was one street, the yellow street leading to the southwest went into a straight line to meet Rockville Pike just north of Montrose.  Over time, Old Georgetown was rerouted to the due east to meet Rockville Pike and the old continuation was truncated from the rest.  This was at one-time known as old Old Georgetown, then Hoya Drive (named after Georgetown University's sports team nickname), then Towne road.   At the same time, the main OG, despite its curve, intersected with another curvy street, Executive Blvd, at a near 90 degree angle.

As some of the nearby shopping centers are getting redeveloped, a street grid is being formed.  One very interesting project in the works right now is to reconnect OG with Towne, and connecting the western part of Executive with the eastern section of OG.  The intersection will be closing for a few months while all of this is being worked out. 

here is a tweet from Montgomery County DOT about it.  I find the planned reorientation of the grid here to be quite interesting and will probably be helpful to some of the areas' traffic.

https://twitter.com/mococommuter/status/1376489503683141633

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #2026 on: March 30, 2021, 09:31:28 PM »

(Nice Bridge was/is already planned to be converted to AET as part of the replacement project.)

Speaking of the Nice Bridge, how close is it to being shovel ready?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM
« Reply #2027 on: March 30, 2021, 10:50:13 PM »

I worked on Exective from 1985-1991, in the office condos on the inside of the bend where executive became East Jefferson

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #2028 on: March 31, 2021, 02:06:34 AM »

(Nice Bridge was/is already planned to be converted to AET as part of the replacement project.)

Speaking of the Nice Bridge, how close is it to being shovel ready?

ixnay

The replacement span is under construction.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #2029 on: March 31, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »

Here is some more on North Bethesda, referring to my post from yesterday.

Executive between OG and Marinelli will eventually be removed and a new grid will be in place.  The final plans are to look like this:

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/whiteflint/Resources/Files/pAERIAL_WFWest%20(reduced).pdf

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #2030 on: April 04, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »

Not sure if these are new developments, but I used MD 32 a week ago. Some stuff I noticed:

-There is now an exit 22 for Linden Church Road. I believe this replaces an intersection that only used flashers.
-There is an interchange for Burntwoods Road, but it lacks an exit number. This is the next interchange northward, but 4-laning/limited access control hasn't reached this far north yet.
-Lots of earth being moved between MD 144 and Burntwoods Road. No pavement, but I think a significant amount of landscaping is done.

I also wonder if there's plans to fix the I-95 interchange, given there's a left exit and left merge onto I-95 NB.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #2031 on: April 04, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »

The interchange at Burntwoods has existed for several years.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #2032 on: April 04, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »

The interchange at Burntwoods has existed for several years.
Huh, then that raises even more questions, such as "why is it there?". It wouldn't be too hard to tie it into the 4-laning to the north (unless Maryland is actually only building one new carriageway, but the ROW seems too wide for that) but it seems premature.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #2033 on: April 04, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »

The "why" is because it was arguably the worst of the intersections along 32 between 108 and 70.  There has been a long-range plan for decades for improvements to 32...the Burntwoods interchange just happened to be the first one to pass financial muster...

cpzilliacus

« Reply #2034 on: April 26, 2021, 12:58:24 AM »

[Opinion] Maryland Matters: Why Maryland Legislators Shouldn’t Listen to the Sierra Club on Transportation

In a recent guest commentary (Maryland Matters, April 9), the Maryland Sierra Club shows once again how little they understand regional transportation issues and the various proposals in the Maryland General Assembly this year that could impact our ability to invest in critical infrastructure.

Instead of attacking state senators for doing their jobs and focusing on the facts, they should be rethinking their entire approach to this issue. The bills they promoted this year to block the proposed managed lanes on the American Legion Bridge and Interstate 270 were poorly drafted, displayed a lack of understanding of the P3 procurement process, and would result in nothing but more gridlock. Anti-road advocates keep losing their battles over transportation policy in our region because they keep getting their facts wrong and they keep picking the wrong battles. This needs to change.

The above was written in a response to this.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #2035 on: April 26, 2021, 02:52:49 AM »

Washington Post editorial: As Virginia finds consensus on expanding highways, Marylanders are at each other’s throats

Local politicians in the Maryland suburbs, all Democrats, have raised every objection possible to impede the efforts of Mr. Hogan, a Republican. They’ve cited problems with public-private partnerships elsewhere, including the Purple Line light-rail project, in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, which required a $250 million state bailout after delays threatened to undo the deal. It’s worth remembering that the most significant of those delays was caused by a meritless environmental lawsuit that was thrown out of court – but only after it set back the project by months.

The opponents, some of whom oppose all major road construction, hope to ensnare the project in endless controversy. Many would prefer that the state devote all its transportation resources and energies to mass transit. In fact, the region’s long-term economic health and livability will require both. And while private-public partnerships do carry some risk, they also expand the political viability of expensive projects by avoiding tax increases. The region’s hundreds of thousands of commuters understand that. Local officials should heed them.

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
« Reply #2036 on: April 26, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »

Oh the opposition is so assine.
Look I am TP, I big on EJ, but this is absurd.
This is the nation's capital, it is bad enough there is

1. no 'through' interstate through the urban core of DC
2. no outer bypass for inter-regional through traffic like every other city on the Acela corridor (Philly-NJTP, NY-I-287, I-84; Boston I-495)
3. that 95 from Richmond to DE is NOT like the NJTP size wise

But now, the ONLY interstate crossing which stupidly serves both super local, regional, and long distance traffic, I-495, is causing this much controversy?

My god...grow up MD.
If you ask me..

1.  495 should be HOT extended all around
2.  ICC should connect to Route 28 in VA
3.  95 from exit 126 in VA to the beltway in VA should be like the NJTP from exit 6 north
4.  95 from the beltway in MD to the Baltimore beltway should be like the NJTP from exit 6 north

I'm liberal and pro EJ, but MD morons ruin it for us all.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #2037 on: April 26, 2021, 11:09:03 AM »

This is not necessarily a bad thing.  If it existed, we'd have two Interstate "parking lots" instead of just one.

2. no outer bypass for inter-regional through traffic like every other city on the Acela corridor (Philly-NJTP, NY-I-287, I-84; Boston I-495)

287 isn't all that useful as an outer bypass of NYC, especially on the NJ side and given the backtracking connection on the south end.  The only real problem point to staying on 95 is the Cross Bronx.  There are also a number of ways that vehicles can remain on the NJTP and cross up to the Tappan Zee/Cross Westchester to avoid the Cross Bronx.

Doesn't need to be.  Traffic's not THAT bad where it requires 12 lanes.

1.  495 should be HOT extended all around

Not really needed on the southeast side.

2.  ICC should connect to Route 28 in VA

In an optimal world, yes.  But, realistically, that ship sailed decades ago.

3.  95 from exit 126 in VA to the beltway in VA should be like the NJTP from exit 6 north

Not going to disagree that express lanes on both sides would be useful, but its usefulness is mainly limited to Dumfries north.  Would also be insanely expensive given the tight right of way, especially in Woodbridge and at Newington.

4.  95 from the beltway in MD to the Baltimore beltway should be like the NJTP from exit 6 north

Overkill.  This segment isn't nearly as bad as others.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #2038 on: April 26, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »

This is not necessarily a bad thing.  If it existed, we'd have two Interstate "parking lots" instead of just one.
It would help to relieve congestion on alternate routes such as I-495 and I-295 / DC-295 / MD-295.

Doesn't need to be.  Traffic's not THAT bad where it requires 12 lanes.
In an ideal world... 8 lanes between Richmond and Fredericksburg, 12 lanes (3+3+3+3) north of there, outer bypass to the east.

In reality? At least widen I-95 to 8 general purpose lanes between Fredericksburg and Woodbridge, maybe reconstruct the HO/T lanes to be 2 in each direction as opposed to reversible.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:39:15 PM by sprjus4 »

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
« Reply #2039 on: April 28, 2021, 11:07:39 PM »

Froggie, 95 from 495 to 695 is a mess with ample ROW to expand.

95 north of exit 77 bottlenecks, and the Tydings Bridge is really sub standard.

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:12 AM
« Reply #2040 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:27 PM »

i'd argue the bottlenecks are the beltway interchanges.

Quote from: bluecountry
no argument there, but it hardly needs 12 lanes like the dual-dual section of the NJ Turnpike.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #2041 on: April 29, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »

i'd argue the bottlenecks are the beltway interchanges.

Quote from: bluecountry
no argument there, but it hardly needs 12 lanes like the dual-dual section of the NJ Turnpike.

The recurring bottleneck northbound on I-95 northbound between MD-198 and MD-216 has gotten progressively worse of late, even during the COVID19 pandemic.

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:24:20 PM
« Reply #2042 on: April 29, 2021, 01:20:38 PM »

MDTA launched their new toll-servicing website this morning: https://driveezmd.com/

Curious for opinions on the website from other forum users with E-ZPassMD accounts once you've had a chance to log in.  Not a huge fan of the website layout initially, but that could just be because I was so used to the layout of the old website :spin:.  It's clearly optimized for mobile users, even when you're on a computer with a large screen.

And this is just the roadgeek in me because I'm sure most users won't notice (or care), but I find myself irked that tolls for roads with entry/exit points (such as the ICC or NJTP) now only display the exit point & time as if it was any other single-point toll.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:10:55 PM by jmacswimmer »
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

« Reply #2043 on: April 30, 2021, 01:07:08 PM »

https://twitter.com/TheMDTA/status/1388115981340397568

Curious what MDTA means by interim highway-speed electronic tolling improvements...purely conjecture on my part, but perhaps they're evaluating returning to 2-way tolling, or even segment tolling over the entire JFK Highway?
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #2044 on: April 30, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »

Maybe it means the new equipment won't be in the final configuration. That's probably somewhat reasonable insofar as they won't need the highway to be the same width as it is now, but at the same time, there's that weigh station and truck parking area immediately after the toll plaza, so they can't simply block off the right side of the road. Presumably the weigh station and truck parking are reasons why they aren't demolishing the right side of the toll plaza first.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #2045 on: May 02, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »

https://twitter.com/TheMDTA/status/1388115981340397568

Curious what MDTA means by interim highway-speed electronic tolling improvements...purely conjecture on my part, but perhaps they're evaluating returning to 2-way tolling, or even segment tolling over the entire JFK Highway?

That is a surprise.  I only saw a bid package for the Fort McHenry Tunnel earlier this year.

The press release says a gantry will be installed a mile south of the current toll plaza (probably where the existing 1 mile sign structure is after crossing the bridge).  Sounds like the AET gantry will be permanent but the traffic pattern is what will be temporary (because the project will include changes to the ramps for the weigh station).  IIRC the weigh station access requires making a 180 after exiting the toll plaza, so maybe they will reverse the direction of travel across the scales).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:30:38 PM by MASTERNC »

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

« Reply #2046 on: May 03, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »

^

Both posts are good points and more likely than what my overly-analytical self suggested...it was this specific quote from the full press release that got me pondering the subject:

Quote from: MDTA
The project, funded entirely through toll revenues, will implement highway-speed AET at the JFK toll plaza on an interim basis until permanent AET conversion can be designed and constructed.

The other element I forgot when making that post is that if 2-way tolling were to return to the JFK, it'd also need to return to the Hatem Bridge (or there'd be an immediate loophole in the tolling setup).

Once the gantry closer to the Tydings Bridge is set up and active, I wouldn't see much of a point in relocating it back towards the existing toll plaza once fully demolished.  Reminds me of NYSTA's original plan of the Tappan Zee toll gantry being temporary on the Nyack side and eventually relocating back to the Tarrytown side.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

« Reply #2047 on: May 05, 2021, 07:58:04 AM »

The MDTA tweeted that again this morning and WTOP retweeted it, so when I saw it, I replied to the MDTA to ask what "interim" denotes in this particular context due to the word implying something temporary.

Their reply wasn't helpful. I'm not going to waste my time responding further.

https://twitter.com/TheMDTA/status/1389910848517382147

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #2048 on: May 05, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »

I took care of that for you...

1995hoo

« Reply #2049 on: May 05, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »

I took care of that for you...

Nice job. Sounds like they're using the word to refer to the lane configuration. That is not how I would have interpreted it due to its position in the sentence and the use of a comma immediately after that word.

https://twitter.com/TheMDTA/status/1389947266933403650

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.