AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Loudoun County's Ambitious Highway Plans  (Read 13979 times)

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: Today at 10:18:01 PM
Loudoun County's Ambitious Highway Plans
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »

If you look at the 2019 Loudon County transportation plan, there's a lot to get excited about.

-US 50 east of Northstar Boulevard will become a freeway
- Another freeway, called US 50 alternate, will be built closer to Dulles Airport
- All of the Leesburg Bypass will become a freeway
- The Loudoun County Parkway will become a freeway from US 50 to Old Ox Road, and if there is sufficient traffic, so will all of 606 with no less than 8 lanes

And that's not counting all widenings.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
Re: Loudoun County's Ambitious Highway Plans
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:11:53 PM »

Here's something you might enjoy: https://www.loudoun.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/8975

It's an update on a bunch of what Loudoun is currently eyeing transportation wise (with a big notable exception being the US-15 plans) Definitely a fun county for road geeks. However, I would nevertheless not expect any of the projects you've listed to be built anytime soon. While there was recent funding awarded for "US-50 alternate", I do not believe that this will be built as a four-lane freeway, at least not yet. Regarding building interchanges on actual US-50, while Loudoun appears to want to do this, there is currently no funding for it. The future interchange with the Loudoun County Parkway (the 1st priority) alone is projected to cost around $500 million which is insane. Still though, what they're doing now (mostly widenings and missing road connections via proffers, county funding, NVTA funding, etc) is still considerably more than other localities in the state.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

kernals12

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »

Here's something you might enjoy: https://www.loudoun.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/8975

It's an update on a bunch of what Loudoun is currently eyeing transportation wise (with a big notable exception being the US-15 plans) Definitely a fun county for road geeks. However, I would nevertheless not expect any of the projects you've listed to be built anytime soon. While there was recent funding awarded for "US-50 alternate", I do not believe that this will be built as a four-lane freeway, at least not yet. Regarding building interchanges on actual US-50, while Loudoun appears to want to do this, there is currently no funding for it. The future interchange with the Loudoun County Parkway (the 1st priority) alone is projected to cost around $500 million which is insane. Still though, what they're doing now (mostly widenings and missing road connections via proffers, county funding, NVTA funding, etc) is still considerably more than other localities in the state.

How is that possible? Unless they're making it a full blown stack, it should cost about $100 million max.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »

How is that possible? Unless they're making it a full blown stack, it should cost about $100 million max.

I have no idea and agree but this what it says regarding that particular project:
Loudoun County Pkwy / Rt 50 Future Grade-Separated
Interchange: Currently LCP and Rt 50 cross at a signalized
intersection; however, the Board's long term plan is to upgrade
the intersection to a full grade separated interchange. The
interchange project was included as a new project in last years
adopted Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) with anticipated funding in
"future years" (more than 6 six years into the future). As this project is
anticipated to cost approximately $500 million to complete, future
Board's will need to seek significant state and federal funding
assistance. Based on the current status and tremendous cost of this
project, Supervisor Letourneau and I believe it will take at least 10
years, if not more, until construction is able to begin.

Hopefully, both the $500 million price tag and 10 years away estimate are wrong but we'll see.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »

Anybody remember the old "Don't Fairfax Loudoun" bumper stickers from the 1980s?  Traffic was already bad in all parts of eastern Loudoun when I moved south some 20 years ago.

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »

And they probably thought turning VA 28 into I-366 was a crazy idea...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 10:23:49 AM »

Anybody remember the old "Don't Fairfax Loudoun" bumper stickers from the 1980s?  Traffic was already bad in all parts of eastern Loudoun when I moved south some 20 years ago.

It seemed to me that most folks wanted Sully Road to get the upgrade.  Support for new highways waffles between "make my commute faster" and "no more development".  Once the new VA-28 was in place, they certainly couldn't wait to get the four-lane, then to get the big interchanges, then to get the six-lane and then to get rid of the traffic lights.

kernals12

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »

It seemed to me that most folks wanted Sully Road to get the upgrade.  Support for new highways waffles between "make my commute faster" and "no more development".  Once the new VA-28 was in place, they certainly couldn't wait to get the four-lane, then to get the big interchanges, then to get the six-lane and then to get rid of the traffic lights.

And the conversion of Virginia's Route 7 to a freeway seems to have little opposition. The only concerns are about traffic delays caused by the construction. If only things had gone like this for another certain Route 7...

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 11:21:09 AM »

Of course the people in Loudoun County favor upgrading Route 7 because it provides a free alternative to the Dulles Greenway's ever-increasing tolls.

Regarding the "Don't Fairfax Loudoun" slogan, I recall in the early 1990s there was concern in the Charlottesville area about "the Fairfaxing of Albemarle County" as Charlottesville's commercial development continued to push further north along Route 29.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »

Of course the people in Loudoun County favor upgrading Route 7 because it provides a free alternative to the Dulles Greenway's ever-increasing tolls.

But they're upgrading it all the way out to Round Hill.

And plenty of freeways that would've provided alternatives to toll roads (looking at you I-290 to Waltham and Somerset Freeway in New Jersey) got cancelled by NIMBYism too.

1995hoo

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »

But they're upgrading it all the way out to Round Hill.

And plenty of freeways that would've provided alternatives to toll roads (looking at you I-290 to Waltham and Somerset Freeway in New Jersey) got cancelled by NIMBYism too.

It was already mostly freeway-grade from the east side of Leesburg to Round Hill. There are four partial at-grade intersections going up the hill west of Leesburg and east of the interchange with Route 9, though the road effectively functions like a freeway through there, and then it's all freeway-grade west to the western end of Business Route 7 at the western end of Round Hill just east of the Hill High Marketplace.

In this case, BTW, Route 7 from Leesburg to Route 28 long predates the Dulles Greenway, though of course the road was not in its current form.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »

Yes.  There was an analog in Maryland to this - "Keep Calvert Country" at about the same time.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Joke Insurance

• Last Login: February 21, 2022, 12:18:16 PM
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »

Was the idea of upgrading VA 28 to a I-366 an actual idea at one point?

• Last Login: Today at 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »

It was one forum member's idea, and it has since become a meme. Nobody actually in a position of power has proposed it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »

Search the forum for posts by ethanman62187.

MillTheRoadgeek

• Last Login: May 19, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 11:12:34 PM »

I for one am certainly surprised how much they're doing in Loudoun, right on the edge of rural Loudoun even!
 I'm not hoping for interchanges all down the corridor, but some at high-profile intersections will do fine.

Here's an interesting concept that never really took off.
https://www.urban-ltd.com/northstar-boulevard

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »

Why don't they just move mainline US 50 to the Dulles freeway and change the existing US 50 in the area to US 50 Alternate?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 03:53:34 PM »

Why don't they just move mainline US 50 to the Dulles freeway and change the existing US 50 in the area to US 50 Alternate?

With what as the goal?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MillTheRoadgeek

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »

Not sure how they'd pull that off - the DTR ends a ways off of Route 50 in Falls Church. Might need to route it along 66 still to do so.

kernals12

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 08:05:03 PM »

I for one am certainly surprised how much they're doing in Loudoun, right on the edge of rural Loudoun even!
 I'm not hoping for interchanges all down the corridor, but some at high-profile intersections will do fine.

I can see why. Cloverleafs are out of fashion

MillTheRoadgeek

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 08:48:58 PM »

I believe it's still planned as a parclo - one loop was taken out as there is now a housing development in place. That may be the only reason they've taken it out. The Loudoun County Parkway interchange still has plans for a full cloverleaf though.

kernals12

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 08:56:41 PM »

I believe it's still planned as a parclo - one loop was taken out as there is now a housing development in place. That may be the only reason they've taken it out. The Loudoun County Parkway interchange still has plans for a full cloverleaf though.

You're kidding. The cloverleaf interchange is a menace. It is the worst thing New Jersey has hoisted upon this planet, yes, even worse than Snooki.

MillTheRoadgeek

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »

You're kidding. The cloverleaf interchange is a menace. It is the worst thing New Jersey has hoisted upon this planet, yes, even worse than Snooki.

Just how it was planned by the Loudoun boards. Though one thing's for sure, not a single cloverleaf interchange built in this world is my fault.

kernals12

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »

Just how it was planned by the Loudoun boards.

Those bastards. They've doomed us all.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2020, 11:06:21 PM »

lol
lol
It depends on the weaving volumes.
source: being a traffic engineer
please stop trolling

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.