AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Route 28 Bypass Presentation  (Read 7500 times)

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:18:01 PM
Route 28 Bypass Presentation
« on: December 14, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »

On December 7, Prince William County officials held a public meeting regarding the planned Route 28 bypass, which is meant to relieve the current congestion on 28 that is clogging up Manassas. In August, the PWC County Commissioners voted against the bypass but reversed themselves in September. This is good, because the alternative to the bypass would be widening the existing 28, which would be more expensive and cause much more displacement.

Here's a recording of the meeting which focuses especially on the tie-in to the existing Route 28, which would be in Fairfax County.
https://pwc-doit.webex.com/recordingservice/sites/pwc-doit/recording/ce481e919c4f46a59fd93e1085abeba2/playback

And here's the powerpoint:
https://route28bypass.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Final-Eng-PWC_FFX-InfoSession_12.7.20.pdf

M3100

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:41:19 PM
Re: Route 28 Bypass Presentation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »

Thanks for providing this.  I have not been over there for several years, but as I recall the speed limit on the current route drops to 25 through downtown Manassas. 

kernals12

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »

Thanks for providing this.  I have not been over there for several years, but as I recall the speed limit on the current route drops to 25 through downtown Manassas.

I've never been there. What I've heard is that during rush hour, you're lucky to hit 25.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 07:43:28 PM »

Will the Route 28 Bypass be built in a similar fashion to existing Godwin Dr. between Nokesville Rd. (existing Route 28) and Sudley Rd. (Business Route 234)? Or might Lomond Dr. be built with a grade separation over the future Route 28 Bypass?

kernals12

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »

Will the Route 28 Bypass be built in a similar fashion to existing Godwin Dr. between Nokesville Rd. (existing Route 28) and Sudley Rd. (Business Route 234)? Or might Lomond Dr. be built with a grade separation over the future Route 28 Bypass?
Based on the diagrams, I think all intersections will be at-grade. Although I hope there'll be enough ROW for future grade separation as this road would be logical route for an outer beltway.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:59:42 AM by kernals12 »

kernals12

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:56:39 AM »

Here's a comparison of the bypass vs the widening

Serious no brainer here, and the fact that PWC initially rejected it shows a serious downside of Virginia's system of municipal government where incorporated cities are legally separate from counties. I'm sure if the people of Manassas had representation on the PWC board of commissioners, the bypass would've gotten a yes vote lickety split.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:14:33 AM »

But will the speed limit be 85 mph?  :-D

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »

I'd rather the speed limit be 88 mph. Then I would not only be doing the speed limit, I'd be in another time as well.

MillTheRoadgeek

• Last Login: May 19, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »

Like I've said... it's just a poor choice they've made. There's more worth in widening, as it will be a chance to redevelop the area easier, it's more easier on commercial than residential developments. Plus, what would they have built the 28 overpass over Wellington/N&S Rail for?

kernals12

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 04:59:05 PM »

Like I've said... it's just a poor choice they've made. There's more worth in widening, as it will be a chance to redevelop the area easier, it's more easier on commercial than residential developments. Plus, what would they have built the 28 overpass over Wellington/N&S Rail for?

the widening would add two lanes while the bypass adds 4. And the bypass has far fewer intersections.

MillTheRoadgeek

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 06:54:27 PM »

the widening would add two lanes while the bypass adds 4. And the bypass has far fewer intersections.

I have heard however that the bypass will create a bottleneck in Fairfax, given that said portion of 28 is expected to be only six lanes upon completion of the project. Additionally, the source also stated that the intersections along the bypass are to operate at weak LOSs down the line. I'm not sure if it is substantial enough but those are reasons why I disapprove of the project thus far.

Roadsguy

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 05:39:14 PM
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 10:16:27 PM »

The problem with the proposed design of the bypass and how it transitions into the existing 28 at the north end is that it can't be easily upgraded to a freeway down the line, despite the existing Godwin Drive and VA 28 north of Manassas being potentially upgradeable limited-access at-grade expressways, and the proposed bypass section looking to be the same.

I also hope they have a project in the works to realign 28 at the VA 234/Prince William Parkway interchange to feed directly into Godwin Drive. This isn't included in the bypass project from what I can tell, though it seems like it would be fairly easy to do.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:27 PM »

I have heard however that the bypass will create a bottleneck in Fairfax, given that said portion of 28 is expected to be only six lanes upon completion of the project. Additionally, the source also stated that the intersections along the bypass are to operate at weak LOSs down the line. I'm not sure if it is substantial enough but those are reasons why I disapprove of the project thus far.
^Exactly and I suspect those intersections (lights) along the bypass will become an immediate problem/annoyance (as they currently are on the VA-234 portion of the PW Pkwy). Thus VDOT will probably have to conduct an additional STARS study resulting in more costs whether that be small improvements or interchanges.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 10:22:53 PM »

The problem with the proposed design of the bypass and how it transitions into the existing 28 at the north end is that it can't be easily upgraded to a freeway down the line, despite the existing Godwin Drive and VA 28 north of Manassas being potentially upgradeable limited-access at-grade expressways, and the proposed bypass section looking to be the same.

I also hope they have a project in the works to realign 28 at the VA 234/Prince William Parkway interchange to feed directly into Godwin Drive. This isn't included in the bypass project from what I can tell, though it seems like it would be fairly easy to do.

Yeah at the very least I was hoping for a tie-in like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6956536,-76.8737418,672m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
However, ideally, the tie-in would have been a combined interchange with Ordway and Compton Roads similar to this with obviously a smaller footprint:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7410787,-83.72027,5796m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:31:01 PM by Jmiles32 »
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

kernals12

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 10:43:18 PM »

^Exactly and I suspect those intersections (lights) along the bypass will become an immediate problem/annoyance (as they currently are on the VA-234 portion of the PW Pkwy). Thus VDOT will probably have to conduct an additional STARS study resulting in more costs whether that be small improvements or interchanges.

More excitement for us roadgeeks

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »

I've never been there. What I've heard is that during rush hour, you're lucky to hit 25.
This also goes for I-66, I-95, I-395 and I-495.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MillTheRoadgeek

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2020, 09:10:10 PM »

Not really sure what you mean on the first part. Though I would agree about the Godwin intersection, especially as the baseball complex is rumored to be redeveloped there can be more space for ramps and whatnot.

That hopefully not, I heard the tie-in in Fairfax has come under ire as it will be a plain 3-way intersection.

I do have a thing to note concerning the Ordway/Compton intersection. While it is slated to remain in its current configuration following Fairfax's widening of 28, I would suggest it be made into a 4-way if the bypass gets built. Ordway will certainly have much lower volumes by then, and it'll be a straighter shot to the bypass going southbound.

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 01:59:41 PM »

This bypass is the best solution.

What needs to happen on the FFX side is for 28 to be unsignalized from PWC to 29, or at the very least have an interchange @ Compton/28 Bypass and New Braddock.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.